Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 34.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Suggestion, focus on the freeplay area. Get as many games as possible and do not let people pull games early or turn them off if they've sold. Let everyone that brings a game or two get in free to the full event, give people that bring 10+ games more perks. Work with local arcades to get large numbers of games in. If you have hundreds and hundreds of games on freeplay the entire show, you will see your ticket sales grow and grow and that will bring in more vendors and keep them happy. We've taken this approach with the Northwest show, every game in the venue is on freeplay, they must stay all 3 days, we have techs that keep the games running and the result is we draw about 4,000 people during the weekend and vendors often make more money at our show than any other show they do. It's the games that drive everything, after you have lots of games on freeplay coming, then start expand your efforts to other parts of the event.

And at least wipe them down and verify flippers working.

#102 5 years ago

Which will update first? The website or the face book group. Heck add in this thread for all that matters.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Which will update first? The website or the face book group. Heck add in this thread for all that matters.

Hopefully here!

#104 5 years ago

We are going to give Expo a shot this year as a vendor. Hoping that under new management things will be different. Looking forward to it.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

I agree games that are there and functioning should be turned on. Personally, I won't take a game to a show that holds it hostage. I've never pulled games early, but if I was told I can't, I wouldn't take them at all. Life happens, plans change. I'm not paying a fine if something comes up. I'm also not letting someone I don't know work on my machines unsupervised. It's more work for the staff but don't give out all weekend passes for bringing a game. Give ones daily, have the games tagged like MGC does. Show your tag get a new band for that day, once you sell the game you can't get in free, the new owner has the tag and gets a band.

I can see that, but honestly, we don't have a problem getting games and people agreeing to keep them there, we had close to 500 on freeplay this year. But in general I think we are on the same wavelength, finding ways to encourage people to bring games and having a lot of games on freeplay on the floor will make any show do better. It will bring more people there, especially the general population and make it a more fun event. Prioritizing games first is necessary, people come to play!

#106 5 years ago

Behind the scenes stuff is rolling. Just spoke with Rob Berk.

I hope this all works into a really great Expo !

LTG : )

#107 5 years ago

I'll be bringing Breakshot. Hope to see some long time attendees that I missed last year Pdxmonkey and burningman lookin at you.

#108 5 years ago

Which show will JJP be revealing game #5 (*cough Toy Story *cough*) at?

Cuz that's the show I will be at.

#109 5 years ago

I’ll bring a pin and most of my arcades(which will be for sale). If all goes well that is, no freak blizzards in October....like we had at mgc.....

#110 5 years ago

I'm guessing JJP isn't gonna do a reveal at Expo this year. But I have been wrong, twice, in my whole life.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm guessing JJP isn't gonna do a reveal at Expo this year. But I have been wrong, twice, in my whole life.

Yes there will be, they reveal they're finally shipping Pirates!

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Behind the scenes stuff is rolling. Just spoke with Rob Berk.
    I hope this all works into a really great Expo !

I'm in for a #LTG fireside chat. "The now and then of pinball". or "The behind the scenes life of tech support". Sharing the crazy creative adventures of NIB owners. lol "you realize its not plugged in right???"

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I'm in for a #LTG fireside chat. "The now and then of pinball". or "The behind the scenes life of tech support". Sharing the crazy creative adventures of NIB owners. lol "you realize its not plugged in right???"

The last two years I've been after the JJP fireside chat Thursday night. And I've had a limited edition mug just for my seminar. This year's mug will be special.

And I do get the occasional plug came loose in the rear of the cabinet. When anyone loses power I now ask them to plug something into the service outlet to see if we have power that far or not.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I can see that, but honestly, we don't have a problem getting games and people agreeing to keep them there, we had close to 500 on freeplay this year. But in general I think we are on the same wavelength, finding ways to encourage people to bring games and having a lot of games on freeplay on the floor will make any show do better. It will bring more people there, especially the general population and make it a more fun event. Prioritizing games first is necessary, people come to play!

I've heard you guys have a great show. never been there, I've taken games to shows. But i just wont take any to a show that requires the game to be there the whole time. I plan to stay the full time but things come up. Having a game (functioning) there half the time is better than it not being there at all.

#116 5 years ago

expo is in 82 days. Any new news?

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I have been saying this since last year's Expo. All of their eggs are in the Pirates basket.

#118 5 years ago

I'm on the fence with this year, I'm sure ill be there set up, Just curious how many of us vendors will be there?
    Its not cheap to do this show. The hotel rooms go up every year.
    Pincades
    JT

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jamaster10:

I'm on the fence with this year, I'm sure ill be there set up, Just curious how many of us vendors will be there?
    Pincades
    JT

They sure have increased. But I bite my tongue as it is once a year and the advantage of being in the same hotel. If you want to play pinball at 2am no drive/ parking worries.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jamaster10:

Pincades
    JT

We will be there, we are staying down the road at the Hawthorne suites for half the price of the conference center (and free breakfast)

#121 5 years ago

Cool this show must go on!

#122 5 years ago

Looking forward to the show. I'll come down for a day. Time to pencil it in on the calendar.

#123 5 years ago

Rumor ... At the Replay Fx show, the American Pinball guy that I talked to said that if everything goes well between now and then, they "might" do the reveal for their next pin (following Houdini) at Expo. So far, that's the only highlight I have heard.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

the American Pinball guy that I talked to said that if everything goes well between now and then, they "might" do the reveal for their next pin (following Houdini) at Expo.

That's similar to Joe Balcer's remarks at Pintastic. He also stated a general policy that they don't want to announce-the-announcement (i.e., promise to announce at a certain date) until they are certain that they will.
    .................David Marston

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

He also stated a general policy that they don't want to announce-the-announcement

it's a good policy to have, especially if there are no leaks driving them to make an announcement. Let all the competition assume you're bringing nothing, then show it.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Rumor ... At the Replay Fx show, the American Pinball guy that I talked to said that if everything goes well between now and then, they "might" do the reveal for their next pin (following Houdini) at Expo. So far, that's the only highlight I have heard.

Cool, cant wait to see.

#127 5 years ago

Do we have to pay full price for a 2 year old? Asking for a relative. The website doesn't show anything about young kids rates.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Do we have to pay full price for a 2 year old? Asking for a relative. The website doesn't show anything about young kids rates.

Depends which countries black market you go to. Going to be rough getting them in to the country if you buy a kid outside the us though.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Depends which countries black market you go to. Going to be rough getting them in to the country if you buy a kid outside the us though.

LOL - Try again … Price of admission for a 2 year old to attend the show and play pinball? Full price? Free? Other?

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

LOL - Try again … Price of admission for a 2 year old to attend the show and play pinball? Full price? Free? Other?

I would think safe to say free. Unless they are charging for the little one to enjoy bright flashy lites ...

#132 5 years ago

Looks like a late night to catch the Lloyd show. But worth it...

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks like a late night to catch the Lloyd show. But worth it...

Surprised me. I thought I'd be Thursday night after the Jersey Jack Pinball fireside chat. Seems we both got moved.

Looking into limited edition mugs for my show and maybe a shirt or two.

#134 5 years ago

Game set up still at 12pm start on Wednesday?

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:Surprised me. I thought I'd be Thursday night after the Jersey Jack Pinball fireside chat. Seems we both got moved.

Gotta get one ...

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Surprised me. I thought I'd be Thursday night after the Jersey Jack Pinball fireside chat. Seems we both got moved.

Hopefully I can get my mate Charles to grab me an LE cup

#137 5 years ago

glade to see the vendor hall open early for people that brought games

#138 5 years ago

Is it just me or does the hype quotient seem a bit low around Expo this year? We're two months out and not much forum action.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Is it just me or does the hype quotient seem a bit low around Expo this year? We're two months out and not much forum action.

Way to many unknowns for this year to be hyped. No idea who will actually show up vendor wise, freeplay area due to planning looks to be in one room the first night - then everything has to be moved for the shows duration, is the final verdict in on who actually owns the name Pinball Expo and how that will effect who shows up. Plus a few others.

#140 5 years ago

Im stoked no matter what. Anytime i can play pinball all night for free (provided i bring a game) im happy. Bad day of pinball beats a good day at work, anyday. Bring on expo!

#141 5 years ago

I'll be there as well. I went two years ago. Looking forward to a great time!

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Way to many unknowns for this year to be hyped. No idea who will actually show up vendor wise, freeplay area due to planning looks to be in one room the first night - then everything has to be moved for the shows duration, is the final verdict in on who actually owns the name Pinball Expo and how that will effect who shows up. Plus a few otheI rs.

Moving games after one day, that is a first. !!! Hoping that is not true....

#143 5 years ago

I see that the Pinball Life open house is now advertised on the schedule for Thursday 10:30AM-4:30PM and Friday Noon-6PM. It's interesting that Expo has that information on their schedule. I'll be there. Guessing that Pinball Life will be advertising something about their event soon. (???)

#144 5 years ago

Future Worlds with Deeproot Pinball"
    Speakers: Barry Oursler, Dennis Nordman, John Popadiuk Jr.,

#145 5 years ago

I'm glad to see the game hall is open all night. Does it close for good Saturday night at midnight?

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Moving games after one day, that is a first. !!! Hoping that is not true....

Same here, hope that is worked out.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Way to many unknowns for this year to be hyped. No idea who will actually show up vendor wise, freeplay area due to planning looks to be in one room the first night - then everything has to be moved for the shows duration, is the final verdict in on who actually owns the name Pinball Expo and how that will effect who shows up. Plus a few others.

Where do you see anything about the rooms changing?
    bumper blast has always been in a different room than the gameroom. Thats the food for the game bringers.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Future Worlds with Deeproot Pinball"
    Speakers: Barry Oursler, Dennis Nordman, John Popadiuk Jr.,

This will be interesting. Hired security??

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm glad to see the game hall is open all night. Does it close for good Saturday night at midnight?

Yes at the stroke of midnite....

#150 5 years ago

I guess it closes at midnight so people can leave early and avoid the embarrassment of all those carriages in the lot turning into pumpkins.

There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.