Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg

There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 34.
    #1401 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Is this what he was using? If so great idea
    http://www.easycoinup.com/

On many games at Galloping Ghost, yes, you see a setup just like this. Otherwise it's a button. Whoever is selling those should have a booth at the vendor hall. It would save people having to run over, open the coin door & flick the credit switch several times, several times a day.

#1402 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Is this what he was using? If so great idea
    http://www.easycoinup.com/

This is cool! Thanks for the link! I am taking my EBD to Pincinnati and it doesn't have a free play setting so this should be helpful!

#1403 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

SFGE has you leave keys with them in a big box, and the repair techs take care of issues so game bringers can actually enjoy the show.
    They also have a phone app where you can report broken or messed up games right on your phone, don't even have to take time to go find someone.
    It's a brilliantly run show.

We do something similar at the Northwest Show with keys, a game database and a bunch of volunteer techs from the collector community, we have maybe 2% of the games down tops at any given time. It's easy for people to report problems, get stuff repaired and get the games running again. Expo is a different kind of show though, where building a big arcade and playing games is the main focus of other shows, as well as drawing in the general public, Expo is right where the pinball companies are, so it's smart for them to focus their efforts on what makes it unique.

#1404 5 years ago

This is a long post - there's your warning. Move on if you want short and sweet reads .....
    After 13 hours of sleep (REALLY!) I have partially come back to life from an exciting and exhausting pinball show execution. It has been 9 years since I was an organizer of a show (prev. Heartland Supershow 2005 -2009) and taking on the role of Games Coordinator (or chairman as Berk stated it) was not all that I would become involved in. I've assisted in the planning of this "Reboot" since April and have researched the amount of work that Mike had previously put in Expo. Notice that I have never been involved in the drama side of the Pacak / Berk split and therefore I have nothing to say nor should ever be involved in that discussion. It should be known that it previously required Mike, and this time myself & David Fix a tremendous amount of effort to pull this show off. Rob Berk had to become more involved than previous. All parties did their jobs to the best of their abilities and the results, outside of the normal or petty complaints, have been fantastic.

The most important change about this show HAD TO BE a positive vibe throughout. Some people thrive upon conflict. I have no use to be included in any circle like that. So teaming with David Fix was important. I want to add Jeff Ohler in here too as a key person that built a complete website and had to put up a million requests to change things. He too is an incredibly positive person and was visible throughout the show working media equipment.

For the Games role, thanking Darren Sheldon is not even close to enough. This guy is a true partner in making the logistics of move-in work. There aren't many people that you can work 18 hours with, then have them snore in the other bed for 6 more, and enjoy working with him for the next several days. He's that kind of person. While a couple of "pre-registered volunteers" didn't show, new ones did show and saved me from an ER visit. I want to thank all of these people that rolled up their sleeves and put in some very hard hours of move in and out ... all being positive and happy people, knowing pinball, and willing to help everyone.
    Karl Marsicek - who even brought me a jar of Peanut Butter and a knife!
    Vince Loeffler, Greg O'Hara, Chris Kubiak - these 4 I consider as the new Mafia.
    Mike Gasper (thanks for the power strip!), Gio, Craig Comparato, and Rob Kotot - The old Mafia came alive!
    All of these local guys worked their butts off - And made me wish I lived closer to the Chicago-land area to play and restore pinball with.
    Far from least, and on Sat. night the MOST is Victoria Herring & Nick Dreessen. These guys came into the Gameroom at 3PM and didn't walk out until 2AM.
    You all deserve far more and if I could, I would have. I also want to thank Andrew Barney for the insight before and encouragement during the show. You know like no other what a job this is! If I left anyone out - I am sorry.

Managing games coming in is a difficult task. We had no way of really knowing who would bring games and what condition these game were in. A perfect world would allow us to stop people, have them setup a game, verify it worked OK, and then send them on, or send them away. Could you imagine the hassle this would create? It's not possible. We have to trust people that they have a working game and can repair it if it breaks down. We emphasize this as they come in and stop people when it looks like they're bringing in barn finds or crap wrapped in plastic. A few were stopped on the way in because of this and told that they would have to become vendors if they wanted to sell their broken or non-working games. Some did just that. We weren't staffed to take keys and manage games that weren't ours. I know some shows are equipped for that but I don't want the responsibility unless I have a team to do so. We needed more people and perhaps it will happen in the future.

Those that mentioned the high number of games that were down in the gameroom - you were right. Rob Berk's games had a large number that were down due to no credits or stuck balls. Consider this though - when you are the main show organizer and you bring a giant truckload of games, you are showing that you are committed to your own show but you are also needed to manage the show. He had a tech there, but that guy was also managing the Rob Berk booth in the vendor hall. There were a few people that would come with keys and get credits on games, fix stuck balls, etc, but not quickly enough. There were also a large number of EM games from Pederson there. These were sometimes troublesome because no one was actively checking on them. In short, Rob needed to have a pair of people just monitoring his and Pederson's games. I wanted to have a "dead game" room but we literally ran out of space. All small side rooms were in use for one reason or another. Outside of this blemish, the large majority of people worked hard to keep their games up and running.

For those that say that these machines were meant to be on and played for 24 hours a day, I say you are rightish. If I have a 1980 Williams Firepower - it should be able to be played like that in 1980, and certainly for some years after than. But in 2018 - maybe not. Of the 6 games I brought and with my role in Expo, I still found the time to fix my Black Rose (had to have my hero Rob Anthony do CPU board work), Laser War (need adjustment to fix stuck balls), and Firepower (burned flipper coil - replaced and fixed EOS switch stack). Strange Science eventually popped a coil fuse late Saturday. I gave in and shut it down. Point is, I led by example throughout. Most others did the same - some really have true fatalities that were beyond something Rob Anthony could fix and no one had parts at the show. One person even drove to Terry's to get a coil to replace a fried one in his game. So for ALL OF THOSE THAT BROUGHT GAMES AND KEPT UP WITH THEM - MY HAT GOES OFF TO YOU! Yes, I shouted. They deserve a very big THANK YOU. It is a selfless act and costs them wear and tear and a lot of effort! Yes, you get an armband. But it usually requires some heart to load up and go through this process. If you haven't brought a game and maintained it throughout a show - please don't complain. We asked that people put their phone numbers on the game registration cards. Most did. They are there for you to text and complain. And they might meet you at their game to kick you a$$ if you complain too much (maybe why the biggest complainers don't text the owners?). Everyone that brings a game should already know that people might text them about their broken game(s). Utilize that option please. But be nice

To the group-on guy that came at 3AM, I hate that for you. I wish I was still lurking around at that hour. I would have gladly let you in, gave you an armband - whatever. If it were me, I would have gave someone a heads up that I was coming in at that hour though. That's an odd time to expect that all would work out. Still, I'm sorry that happened to you. I wish there was a way I could make it up to you.

SPILL OVER ROOM - As more and more games came into the hall, the need to spillover into the Botanic room (aka. Galloping Ghost room) became necessary. Phoebe's outstanding collection of rare WMS games (Varkon, Joust pinball, Rat Race, etc.) was moved multiple times. It was a pain for her but ultimately was in a location where people could really enjoy them. Please thank her for that contribution. She is a wonderful person and it was great to have her unique and well restored games there. Also thank Doc Mac at Galloping Ghost for the games he brought. That was a TON of work for him and his guys. Botanic seems like a full mile away from the dock and they moved all of those in there - probably wore out a pair of shoes in the process. Many of those games were very rare. I seen a lot of people really getting into that part of the room. So if you liked it, tell Doc that you appreciated him bringing all of those. The home brew guys were awesome. As mentioned on the forum topic, it did turn out to be the best place. It was quiet enough to hold a conversation with the developers of those games and people really seemed to appreciate them. I know I did. There were power problems in that room. There are some issues with that room having a limited amount of power available and we were using it to the max. Signage wasn't great for this room. That will be resolved for next year.

ATTENDANCE - I really have no knowledge of attendance numbers but to summarize the buzz from organizers and long-time attendees, it seems like a lot more from last year, and slightly more from 2016. I know this - people were spread out all over the place. There were more rooms than ever before for people to wander into and that could mean fewer people in every room and still have more people there.

PERSONALLY - I appreciate being able to see so many old pinball people at this show. The St. Louis crew, the old Chicago guys, Troy Smith (is there a Central IL crew?), seeing people that still remember the Silverball podcast and GameRoom Magazine was nice. David Fix and his 2 NY guys were great - worked incredibly hard to make the vendor room happen like it did. I really like David's personality. He's the real deal folks! Brigitt Berk is the rock for Expo. Her organizational skills are amazing. Her entire family ran the registration desk and fielded so many requests ... it is hard to imagine how difficult a job that is. She deserves more credit.

I wanted to push in a seminar - but make it an Pinball Electronics class as an experiment. I had about 14 people in there and we went over about 30 minutes with discussion. That's a lot for a 9AM Friday morning "class" that went 2.5 hours. I would call that a success. This might turn into a Pinball Repair Bootcamp event at my college to teach people electronics for pinball. Thanks to those that attended!

I never committed to helping more than the 2018 show as an organizer. It is incredibly taxing on my career, hobbies, and family life to be swept away with all the weekly work for 6 months, week of vacation from work, expenses, 6 hour drive, etc. I wanted to help make Expo "great again" and I did what I could. There are other ideas of resurrecting the old Supershow in Southern Illinois that I would like to try. That suits me better to be honest. Expo will always be a special place, a show to attend and catch up with old pinball friends over a 4 player death match on Night Rider (I lost that one!) or share a meal with - see the new cool games and gadgets,etc.
    THANKS TO ALL FOR MAKING 2018 A GREAT SHOW!

#1405 5 years ago

...and thank YOU Rob Craig. Every word of that deservedly long post is appreciated. Seems like you were everywhere at the same time all weekend, always smiling. Might be premature to say it's the best Expo I've attended in 18 years, but it's definitely in the conversation.

#1406 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Karl Marsicek - who even brought me a jar of Peanut Butter and a knife!
    Vince Loeffler, Greg O'Hara, Chris Kubiak - these 4 I consider as the new Mafia.
    Mike Gasper (thanks for the power strip!), Gio, Craig Comparato, and Rob Kotot - The old Mafia came alive!

Karl, Vince & Kubie are also old Mafia. CPM represent!

#1407 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

I never committed to helping more than the 2018 show as an organizer. It is incredibly taxing on my career, hobbies, and family life to be swept away with all the weekly work for 6 months, week of vacation from work, expenses, 6 hour drive, etc. I wanted to help make Expo "great again" and I did what I could. There are other ideas of resurrecting the old Supershow in Southern Illinois that I would like to try. That suits me better to be honest. Expo will always be a special place, a show to attend and catch up with old pinball friends over a 4 player death match on Night Rider (I lost that one!) or share a meal with - see the new cool games and gadgets,etc.
    THANKS TO ALL FOR MAKING 2018 A GREAT SHOW!

Thanks for your hard work this year Rob C. I hope Berk is looking for your replacement now so someone can start planning for next year.

#1408 5 years ago

Well, as a total noob (coming up on 1 year), I had a blast. I saw things I never thought I would ever see (Defender Pinball is awesome, Starlight is awesome).

Spent my Saturday there from 10am to about 5pm. I honestly couldn't stand up any longer - legs were killing me. I am local, so it was all of 25 minutes from my house - so win-win and groupon worked great! Kudos to everyone who organized this, brought games, volunteered and helped in general! Hats off to you and see you next year! This could not have been easy to organize - logistics alone! Sure the 24 hour room had games down, but I also saw folks bringing some back up... Pinbot was dark in the morning (see my pic next to Indiana Jones), but alive and well in the afternoon, same for Apollo 13. I wish I could have played everything, but ran out of time... and energy. Love the re-themed Flash Gordon as Spinal Tap - hilarious with the 11s. I think that Spirit back glass is simply amazing - I could stare at it all day. Bought my unobtanium Grand Prix drop targets to boot. Played a bunch of EMs - so fun. Some surprised me at how fun they were. Sadly, the Spin Out wasn't doing so well - no GI lights. But good to see it there anyway.

I am most struck at games that I find kind of ugly or boring looking, but are a blast to play.

The 24 hour room is very, very warm and has that unique pinball smell from so many machines running. Probably 10 degrees warmer than the other 2 rooms. Good call on the water coolers by the door as I was drying out!

I also fell in love with Xenon (Pinbot was across the isle and granted more fun, but there is something about that damn Xenon)... almost bought it, but wife would have killed me... 2019 here I come.
    Black Hole was down -
    Medusa is also gorgeous - but gameplay wasn't for me.
    Whirlwind is awesome
    Old school Stern Galaxy is surprisingly fun
    Twilight zone is amazing we know... but BW Twilight Zone is jaw dropping gorgeous.

Cheers to all!

pin1 (resized).jpgpin1 (resized).jpgpin3 (resized).jpgpin3 (resized).jpgpin4 (resized).jpgpin4 (resized).jpgpin5 (resized).jpgpin5 (resized).jpgpin6 (resized).jpgpin6 (resized).jpg
    #1409 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinout:

Black Hole was down -

I don't think it ever played the entire show

#1410 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

So more of an aspirational piece, then.

#1411 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rbviessman:

I've worked in IT for 35 years. Much of it related to software development. A good portion in management of software development. A few years working for a large manufacturing company. There are always many scenarios that lead to project delays.
    I can imagine at least one scenario related to the 3 spinning disks. There were probably mechanical and/or software issues with having 3 disks. They probably spent a month or 2 trying to work on the issue and come up with a fix that allowed them to keep the 3 disks. At some point, repeated failures lead to a major decision to go to one disk. A tough decision for sure, but imagine the ripple effect that would have had. A redesign would have been required by engineering. Software development would have been involved to update code. A testing period would have to take place. This process could have taken 2 or 3 months. At some point, they have to call the parts manufacturer and say, "Those 6,000 disks you made for us, just throw them away. We'll send you new specs for a new single disk.". The manufacturer would have to retool and restart production. This same process would have occurred under the playfield. Who knows how long this took. Another couple months?
    So, I applaud JJP for making a tough decision to make a long term reliable product! If I'm spending $9,500 for a high-end machine, I'd rather wait for it to be reliable long term.
    Honestly I find it harder to wait for the production and delivery of my machine, now that production has started. LOL.

Nobody is saying to rush it. I have one of the very first JJPOTC games, manufactured on 8/14/18 and I will say the quality is great and exactly what I have cone to expect from JJP. I was just setting the record straight with a new fan of the game that the fault here (on the wait) is saying a release date of 3-5 months and it took 11 months. That is all. They obviously learned that lesson and won't kill momentum by releasing it too early.

#1412 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Make a small board with numbers 1 to 200 and key hooks on them. Put the board in Rob Anthony’s repair room. Everybody that brings a game, leave their keys on the board....

Pintastic New England has this, plus an online repair ticket system. The main weakness right now is convincing everyone, including 1-day attendees, that they are empowered to report problems.
    .................David Marston

#1413 5 years ago

I will say... I never once used a phone number to report a problem with a game... so.... Bad on me, I suppose.....

#1414 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I will say... I never once used a phone number to report a problem with a game... so.... Bad on me, I suppose.....

Kind of feel the same. I didn't realize we should call the owners. I feared I would be 1 of 200 calls they received for the same game. Just a suggestion for a solution like this. It would be great if the game room had a single room monitor type person with a clip board of all the games and contact info seems like that would streamline the process and also keep the show promoters acknowledged of who is playing the system with shill games. Walk the isles every hour and put a check next to the games down and give them a call. Anyone walking out or turning off a machine could report it to the room monitor at the exit to see if it was reported. One call and a record of who/if they addressed the issue. Just a suggestion at least then they could say "yes it was reported" instead of 40 calls to say I know and it can't be fixed.

#1415 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinout:

Black Hole was down

Quoted from vdojaq:

Quoted from PinMonk:

So more of an aspirational piece, then.

LOL. When I saw the pic of Black Hole posted early Friday I thought, "I wonder how long until it breaks."

I have yet to see one make it through a whole show.

#1416 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Kind of feel the same. I didn't realize we should call the owners. I feared I would be 1 of 200 calls they received for the same game. Just a suggestion for a solution like this. It would be great if the game room had a single room monitor type person with a clip board of all the games and contact info seems like that would streamline the process and also keep the show promoters acknowledged of who is playing the system with shill games. Walk the isles every hour and put a check next to the games down and give them a call. Anyone walking out or turning off a machine could report it to the room monitor at the exit to see if it was reported. One call and a record of who/if they addressed the issue. Just a suggestion at least then they could say "yes it was reported" instead of 40 calls to say I know and it can't be fixed.

Our staff (not staffed all 24 hours) were doing this. Many text messages were sent on down games and our peeps would power them off so people would walk by and find something else. Some of my games went down and I immediately noticed when I glanced and seen it off. Off meant for a reason and people were contacted in as much as our staffing could handle. Room for improvement? Yes - and room next year for more volunteers

#1417 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Vibe is good this year. Without Pacak's flintstones and hercules pins in the hall

LOL. Couldn't agree more. The sounds of those games gives me nightmares now.

#1418 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

System80, where the #1 must-do mod is a grounding "mod".. lots of fun to play.. terribly, terribly, engineered.

#1419 5 years ago

Love the new look of the expo page and the count down is already going!!!!

#1420 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Our staff (not staffed all 24 hours) were doing this. Many text messages were sent on down games and our peeps would power them off so people would walk by and find something else. Some of my games went down and I immediately noticed when I glanced and seen it off. Off meant for a reason and people were contacted in as much as our staffing could handle. Room for improvement? Yes - and room next year for more volunteers

Trust Not a complaint just a suggestion. Having been to expo for 17 years this was by far the best especially the vendor area. I was just commenting on the "everyone should call the number" statements which I didn't know we were suppose to do.

#1421 5 years ago

I have texted people about troubles. People have texted me about games as well.

#1422 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Calling is annoying as you can never hear in a pinball show. just sending a text is a quick way to communicate without having to go through pleasantries .

"Hey guy, your comet has a ball stuck, I turned the game off".

"ok I'll get there in 10 minutes, thanks"

there has to be software that sends out group texts, like what's app or something. I would help debug games for people if needed. I would trust any of the mafia guys to look at my game. I would think the Cincinnati folks might want someone they know to look at theirs, so perhaps a few group channels?

-c

#1423 5 years ago

I think a lot of the vendors, including us, were fairly happy with this year. We expected a transition year where attendance could be even further down from previous years and who knew if the volume from previous years would hold, etc.

But we promised Berk we'd be back if he did something on his own so we came. And it was good. Was it perfect? No, but we didn't expect it to be. But it was more fun and laid back.

I think generally our sales were up this year vs the last year or two in the booth too. Saturday was pretty slow for us compared to the other days. I think possibly that with the show advertising on TV and other forms of advertisement, it may have brought in attendees that are not our target market (ie: pinball parts, etc) as they were instead Barcade and general arcade type attendees. But I also heard from several vendors that sell games that Saturday business was good for them. That may validate my theory as the people brought in by that type of advertising might buy their first game, etc.

Mike Pacak has always been good to me personally, but I know many other friends where that was not the case. It did seem like the change this year made the entire show a little more happy overall.

Congrats to the team at Expo for this years success.

#1424 5 years ago

So, I tend to not take a lot of pictures, but here is what I've got.

I do wonder if it was originally in black & white if it wouldn't be the color one I was drooling over, but as it is it's pretty damn cool.
    20181019_183243 (resized).jpg20181019_183243 (resized).jpg

I'd dare say, it's better then Iron Maiden. I don't know how, but I feel the upper playfield flows better (despite having an extra shot). Perhaps that's for me though.
    20181019_223730 (1) (resized).jpg20181019_223730 (1) (resized).jpg

This and Archer are my two favorite homebrews of all time.
    20181019_230705 (resized).jpg20181019_230705 (resized).jpg

Had to snap a picture of this one for my friend.
    6259 (resized).jpeg6259 (resized).jpeg

#1425 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

[quoted image]
    This and Archer are my two favorite homebrews of all time.

Such a shame they cut the varitarget and subways from Archer when they rethemed it Iron Maiden.

#1426 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Quoted from cfh:
    Make a small board with numbers 1 to 200 and key hooks on them. Put the board in Rob Anthony’s repair room. Everybody that brings a game, leave their keys on the board....
    Pintastic New England has this, plus an online repair ticket system. The main weakness right now is convincing everyone, including 1-day attendees, that they are empowered to report problems.
    David Marston

this would be really easy to do. if someone doesn't want to participate, then don't put the key on the board. Have a list of techs on the board. you could even ask the owner if they wanted to only use a particular tech person, or anyone. It's not a big reach to do this. It doesn't require much to do it.

At our show (Ann Arbor show) we have people working the lanes. If they see someone having problems, smell a problem, HEAR a problem (chimp flippers), we address it. We don't need an "app", we can SEE the issues. This requires manpower. But with a show as big as Expo, you would think this would be easy to do. Also all our games are unlocked, so there's no issue finding keys. But that's probably not a comfort level most people would have.

I tried to help with tech work this year at Expo, but was shut down. I had a car full of parts and tools (as i do in-home repair.) didn't use any of it at expo.... But that's OK it made the show more enjoyable for me as i didn't have to run around and work. So i guess i'm thankful things went that way.

#1427 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Signage would help. If you don't want to get contacted don't put your number down.

#1428 5 years ago

Another thing we do at the Ann Arbor show is have a big white board of game issues. As people report issues to the "walkers" or walkers see issues, they write the issues on the white board. Walkers have orange shirts by the way, the techs have red shirts. When techs aren't fixing stuff, they come to the repair room (Rob anthony's room i guess for expo), and look at the white board. They tackle the stuff they like to do (there's a certain contingent of repair guys that only do EMs or only do SS games.) When fixed, they come back and erase the fixed game from the board.

At expo you could do the same thing (providing there's keys on the key board, again in Rob Anthony's room i guess.) you could also have the white board in the game room. but then *anyone* could report a problem (be that good or bad.)

#1429 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

this would be really easy to do. if someone doesn't want to participate, then don't put the key on the board. Have a list of techs on the board. you could even ask the owner if they wanted to only use a particular tech person, or anyone. It's not a big reach to do this. It doesn't require much to do it.
    At our show (Ann Arbor show) we have people working the lanes. If they see someone having problems, smell a problem, HEAR a problem (chimp flippers), we address it. We don't need an "app", we can SEE the issues. This requires manpower. But with a show as big as Expo, you would think this would be easy to do. Also all our games are unlocked, so there's no issue finding keys. But that's probably not a comfort level most people would have.
    I tried to help with tech work this year at Expo, but was shut down. I had a car full of parts and tools (as i do in-home repair.) didn't use any of it at expo.... But that's OK it made the show more enjoyable for me as i didn't have to run around and work. So i guess i'm thankful things went that way.

It's easy to say "we", when almost all of it is you. It's a lot harder when there are 30 other "Clays" to navigate with different levels of engagement.

These are all good things to work on for next year. It would be great to have you rove the lanes bringing games up to spec and I'm sure people could learn a lot from that. I for one am glad you are volunteering to do this and wouldn't turn this away.

#1430 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

We would be more than happy to let someone know about a down game. I am thankful to people who do put their games out there and the people who spend so much time and energy putting the whole show together. I guess we never let anyone know about a game being down because it seems like 'complaining.'

We don't open doors to add credits because we feel it's not our game to mess with. The most we'll do is switch a game off or on.
    In the future, perhaps we will let coordinators of shows know that we are willing to help with this notification. Would it be helpful to have a couple of "just
    players" turn on a game, see if we can immediately see a problem, then text someone with, "___ can't find all of the balls" or "____ has a display issue." or "___ has a ball stuck and a busted rubber."?

Maybe one sign/poster hanging near the entrance stating, "Text the number on the game with any issues...that's what it's there for!! or [# for someone who has agreed to field these calls] " might help?

#1431 5 years ago

Not gonna lie.. my pinball resource key came in handy for adding credits now and then..

#1432 5 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

It's easy to say "we", when almost all of it is you.

What are you talking aboot? There were 35 of us working the recent one day "Mini-Show". I worked my ass off at from an hour prior to open until well past the closing. For the three day main show weekend there are twenty more volunteers working.

Quoted from CraigC:

I for one am glad you are volunteering to do this and wouldn't turn this away.

Too bad BERK has erratic behavior and refused to let Clay help out nor have a seminar. In prior years he would introduce Clay and hand him a gift for speaking. Strange.....

#1433 5 years ago

Anyone know what game Nudgy was/is? I didn't see that actual name but man that was fun. There was a woman playing it with us as well who was also obsessed!

#1434 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What are you talking aboot? There were 35 of us working the recent one day "Mini-Show". I worked my ass off at from an hour prior to open until well past the closing. For the three day main show weekend there are twenty more volunteers working.

Too bad BERK has erratic behavior and refused to let Clay help out nor have a seminar. In prior years he would introduce Clay and hand him a gift for speaking. Puzzling......

#1435 5 years ago

They are mostly Clay's games. You guys aren't starting with an unpopulated room and having to Unload and helpset up 300 pins. I'm not trying to short your efforts, but it's a different dynamic.

#1436 5 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

They are mostly Clay's games. You guys aren't starting with an unpopulated room and having to Unload and helpset up 300 pins. I'm not trying to short your efforts, but it's a different dynamic.

Agreed. That's why the VFW Show is unique and a pinball player's show. Not big on seminars, part vendors or machine sales. Did Expo have 300 pins this year?

#1437 5 years ago

Banning show has a ton more than 300 games and was this last weekend, if you just want to play pinball go to that. Expo has never been about great free play, you go for the rest of the experience and seeing the people.

#1438 5 years ago

I really hope that Nightmare Before Christmas is picked up and produced. Would buy it so quickly!

#1439 5 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

CraigC

Craig, dont fall for it, If you say anything about Clay, Bally will get on you. Most of us understand. When you have a bunch of machines come from collectors, players, enthusiast, etc all come in one day, set up and be played for days straight, things happen. And there is no comparison to one persons collection that is set up permanently, with a group of friends that maintain them often. And when you have someone like Clay and his knowledge, thats an added bonus, because many of the people that brought games to expo do not have his knowledge. Just imagine if one person was removed from the ann arbor "show" it would be dead, no clay, no machines, no head tech

Remove clay from expo, ok, well, its still expo.

Do I think that clay could enhance expo, sure thing, I even heard him chatter before the show offereing to help Rob Anthony and all, and got tons of thumbs up from commenting it. But I never saw him working on games, so I dont know what happened to that

#1440 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

craigc
    Craig, dont fall for it, If you say anything about Clay, Bally will get on you. Most of us understand. When you have a bunch of machines come from collectors, players, enthusiast, etc all come in one day, set up and be played for days straight, things happen. And there is no comparison to one persons collection that is set up permanently, with a group of friends that maintain them often. And when you have someone like Clay and his knowledge, thats an added bonus, because many of the people that brought games to expo do not have his knowledge. Just imagine if one person was removed from the ann arbor "show" it would be dead, no clay, no machines, no head tech
    Remove clay from expo, ok, well, its still expo.
    Do I think that clay could enhance expo, sure thing, I even heard him chatter before the show offereing to help Rob Anthony and all, and got tons of thumbs up from commenting it. But I never saw him working on games, so I dont know what happened to that

Copy that, well said. I'm just an idealist who naively thinks we can all work together at something and just be excellent to each other. I guess I'm the weirdo .

#1441 5 years ago

I brought 16 games (vids ) Fixed one on site and had one dead solider (vector star trek) My games ran all weekend with 0 down time because I put in the prep work on my games . Doc ( galloping ghost ) Just slap things together and hopes for the best. Just like pins vids need a rebuild from the power cord up
    to be in anyway shape or form reliable . I got tons of compliments on my games and loved people with smiles plastered on their faces , from old men to little 6-8 year old kids . This was a much better show then last year . I will post more when I recover .

#1442 5 years ago
    Quoted from seawolf:

I brought 16 games (vids ) Fixed one on site and had one dead solider (vector star trek) My games ran all weekend with 0 down time because I put in the prep work on my games

I have no idea how you guys move vids all of the time, they are crazy heavy. I agree on putting in the time to make things solid and not just just hoping for the best. The stuff doc brought was rare and cool to see while it worked, with the power issues in that room it was probably good that not everything was running

#1443 5 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I have no idea how you guys move vids all of the time, they are crazy heavy. I agree on putting in the time to make things solid and not just just hoping for the best. The stuff doc brought was rare and cool to see while it worked, with the power issues in that room it was probably good that not everything was running

Vids are actually much easier, believe me. I move them more than most. They basically weight the exact same, but you dont have to put legs on, I can unload a trailer full of vids in about 1/4 the time of a trailer full of pins and set them up. Not trying to steal any glory from Seawolf, he is a good friend of mine. But just being honest, I would rather take vids to a show than pins when it comes to the labor involved

#1444 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Vids are actually much easier, believe me. I move them more than most. They basically weight the exact same, but you dont have to put legs on, I can unload a trailer full of vids in about 1/4 the time of a trailer full of pins and set them up. Not trying to steal any glory from Seawolf, he is a good friend of mine. But just being honest, I would rather take vids to a show than pins when it comes to the labor involved

Much harder to move up stairs, I guess is what I was thinking. If you have first floor space that would be a non issue. I usually pull the monitors to keep my spine from shooting out of my ass.

#1445 5 years ago

It seems the free play area is getting plenty of comments. I was at show Thursday about 3.5 hours with my wife and maybe 4 hours Friday with my neighbor. I would guess 98% of time was spent in vendors hall. I had a sore back to prove it.

The free play was a non factor for us.

#1446 5 years ago

Plus we all got to see this awesome flintstones backglass prominently featured in the promo video!

2C7708F1-2BE0-4B4A-8EDE-148D92BED230 (resized).jpeg2C7708F1-2BE0-4B4A-8EDE-148D92BED230 (resized).jpeg
    #1447 5 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I have no idea how you guys move vids all of the time, they are crazy heavy.

Flat rolling access

#1448 5 years ago
    Quoted from PINTEC:

Put Whatever you all want on your hotdog
    Your enjoying a Chicago hot dog which never has ketchup.
    put ketchup on it and it is no longer one, ketchup at Chicago hot dog stands is for your french fries![quoted image]

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqrrp3

#1449 5 years ago

I had a good time overall, but security kinda pissed me off. They just seemed over the top. Thursday I was kicked out of the vendor room when I first got there. Granted I did not have my pass or armband because the vendor I was helping was out to lunch and had my pass. I politely and quietly exited the room because I was in the wrong. About 45 min later I get my lanyard and stuck my armband in my lanyard pouch. Same guard walking down the aisle comes straight to me and I just showed him my name tag. His reply “WHERES YOUR ARMBAND!?” I flipped my pouch over and showed it to him. He was like “YOU NEED TO PUT IT ON!” Obivously kinda ill because I was back in and legit when he had kicked me out earlier. Then he proceeded to tell every vendor around me to put their armband on or they were getting kicked out! Friday I roll down their around 11 am and the doors are open to the vendor hall with guards at the door. I just walk on through showing them my armband like I had done it seemed 100 times the day before. They stopped me and was like who are you with and why do you need to be in here? I was like huh? They said if you don’t need to work on your game or booth you don’t need to be in here. I was like whatever man and found something else to do. Then saw them giving Jersey Jack a hard time about getting in the room. They were policing “outside drinks” all weekend which I get it but kinda sucks also. Saturday was the Sternorama party which had free beer. I was like sweet “inside drinks!” I tried to get into the vendor hall with my “inside drink” and was stopped yet again...... Luckily one of the other guards was there and was like that’s from the party right? I said yeah and he let me in.

Other than that it was good seeing old friends and making new ones!

#1450 5 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Anyone know what game Nudgy was/is? I didn't see that actual name but man that was fun. There was a woman playing it with us as well who was also obsessed!

This one?

nudgy (resized).jpgnudgy (resized).jpg
    There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il/page/29?hl=michigandad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.