Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,674 posts
  • 270 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For those that have attended the Expo Banquet before, what would you change?”

• Nothing 16 votes
      6%
    • Skip the fancy food, make it Burgers and Fries at a cheaper cost. 46 votes
      18%
    • Shorten the event, make it super cheap or free, and have no meal at all. 19 votes
      7%
    • I don't care about the banquet. 178 votes
      69%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_46311 (resized).jpg
    43BFFCCA-1 (resized).jpg
    pacak pickers (resized).png
    20181201_153948 (resized).jpg
    20181028_150630 (resized).jpg
    20181028_144801 (resized).jpg
    20181028_143202 (resized).jpg
    SteveRichieRum (resized).jpg
    20181019_184054 (resized).jpg
    20181018_125743 (resized).jpg
    20181020_194155 (resized).jpg
    20181020_231747 (resized).jpg
    20181017_193751 (resized).jpg
    20181020_161621 (resized).jpg
    20181018_180035 (resized).jpg
    20181020_144751 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 34.
    #801 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Think I'm gonna bring some cologne and just spray fuckers as necessary.
    Or, in the case of el BRUT, just toss some on em.

You'll Sniff Em at the main entrance

#802 5 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

There are two other shows the same weekend.
    I know I have yet to find a way to clone myself, I bet Marco hasn't yet either.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

while Marco can't clone themselves they are not a one man show like you. They actually could have a presence at multiple shows. Likely a small presence at one of them though. There were issues beyond just the multiple shows.

#803 5 years ago

you think that a hurricane now, is what stopped them from deciding not to go to expo a year ago?

#804 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

you think that a hurricane now, is what stopped them from deciding not to go to expo a year ago?

LOL

#806 5 years ago

Some clarifications about buying and selling at Expo needed.

If I read it correctly, if I buy a game that has already been setup at Expo, I can't remove it before Saturday night without a fee. I don't have a problem with that as the show needs games, but I have a few questions:

1. What kind of paperwork is necessary to show the Expo staff that an exchange has occurred and where is this staff going to be located?
    2. If I only plan to attend on Friday and buy a game, how do I get in to collect my purchase on Saturday or Sunday without paying for admission again just to collect my property?

#807 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

If I read it correctly, if I buy a game that has already been setup at Expo, I can't remove it before Saturday night without a fee. I don't have a problem with that as the show needs games, but I have a few questions:
    1. What kind of paperwork is necessary to show the Expo staff that an exchange has occurred and where is this staff going to be located?
    2. If I only plan to attend on Friday and buy a game, how do I get in to collect my purchase on Saturday or Sunday without paying for admission again just to collect my property?

take the game when you buy it if you are leaving. As the buyer you never agreed to pay any fee.

#808 5 years ago
    hells house (resized).jpghells house (resized).jpg
    #810 5 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

that is cool

but can you make it [much] smaller and light up the eyes (and the flame hair) so that I can use it as a pinball mod?

#811 5 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

that is cool

You see them for sale on rare occasions, on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. From closed haunted houses or Halloween attractions.

LTG : )

#812 5 years ago

Just saw a commercial on CBS (Channel 2 - Chicago) for the Expo. I don't remember ever seeing that before..

#813 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You see them for sale on rare occasions, on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. From closed haunted houses or Halloween attractions.

I like that for my shop

#814 5 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

There are two other shows the same weekend.

Anyone know what the other two shows are?

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#815 5 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Check the schedule :

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/

#816 5 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Houston and Banning?

#817 5 years ago

That's more complete than what's listed on Marco's site (which lists no events for October), but pinballnews only shows Pinball Madness (Banning, CA) overlapping. PAGG is the weekend before which overlaps York (missing from pinballnews list)... both of those end before Chicago begins.

Looks like Todd's Pinbalbuzz site has them all.

https://www.pinballbuzz.com/pinball-events/

Houston and Banning overlap.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#818 5 years ago
    Quoted from not4tilts:

Just saw a commercial on CBS (Channel 2 - Chicago) for the Expo. I don't remember ever seeing that before..

I saw it too....free play room is going to get a serious workout.

#819 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I saw it too....free play room is going to get a serious workout.

Lines to play behind newbies playing 4 player games. I can see it now.

#820 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Lines to play behind newbies playing 4 player games. I can see it now.

Who also start another 4 player game on the same machine with people waiting to play...

#821 5 years ago

King, remind me to tell ya the tale o Cleveland some time.
    If you see this situation please correct it accordingly....according to whether dude wants to be an ass or not. 8 times outta 10 it's yes. Wannabe alpha fuckwads do shit like this cause they think no one will call them out. Some of us will. Do your part.

#822 5 years ago
    Quoted from not4tilts:

During a quick call with Rob Berk yesterday, he mentioned he was spending a small fortune on local advertising. Sounds like he is taking a page from other shows and trying to draw in a wider attendance this year.

#823 5 years ago

This article was in American airlines airways magazine

20181005_114532 (resized).jpg20181005_114532 (resized).jpg
    #824 5 years ago

Quoted from Gryszzz:King, remind me to tell ya the tale o Cleveland some time.
    If you see this situation please correct it accordingly....according to whether dude wants to be an ass or not. 8 times outta 10 it's yes. Wannabe alpha fuckwads do shit like this cause they think no one will call them out. Some of us will. Do your part.

I usually don't have to say anything, just give "the look" when they eventually turnaround to see what woman (my wife) is getting very vocal and louder, and nagging, and louder. They usually don't say much because they know it's a lost cause at that point.

#825 5 years ago

When I said "you" in that post, I wasn't speaking to you personally bub, I'm sure you knew that. I meant US.
    All of us.
    Don't put up with shit.
    But that's a funny story K ha. I like you!

#826 5 years ago

PRGE is also that weekend... Not really a pinball show, but the pin presence has been increasing: Marco will be there for the first time.

It's a great show by the way, especially if you have some cross-over interest in retro video gaming. I'm hitting that one: glad we have an option in the PNW.

#827 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

Sellers are responsible for any fees for early removal. As games come in, we will spell this policy out. Sellers should find out if the game they are selling is leaving early and pay any fees for early withdrawal. Why? Because they were the ones compensated when they brought in the game. Any change in ownership for a game - selling or trading - requires a visit to the desk in the gameroom so we can keep ownership straight. If someone sells a game at 3AM - we won't be there. They'll have to come in the next morning at 10AM to get it worked out. We will have a table in the gameroom from 10AM-Midnight Friday and 10AM - 1AM Saturday.

Example - Rob Craig brings in an X-Files on Thursday and gets an armband. Darren Sheldon wants to buy the game Thursday night. Rob asks Darren when he plans on leaving. Darren says Friday. Rob is staying until Saturday night. So Rob either charges Darren $60 more just eats the cost. Both parties come up to the table we have set up in the Gameroom and state that there has been an ownership change. We fill out a new card for the game and update our database. Rob also explains that the game is leaving Friday morning and that he is staying until Saturday night. Since Rob is still getting a $30/day benefit out of the free armband he received for bringing a game, he can either pay $60 or we can cut off the armband and he can go to the registration desk and buy a fresh new armband for all day Friday and another for all day Saturday.

This process serves those that go to the show in keeping games there for the duration of the show (if possible), it servers the buyers because they haven't been compensated for any part of the show - just the seller. And it prevents someone from bringing a game on Wed or Thrs, selling it within the first few hours, the buyer splits, then no one else at the show ever gets to play the game.

I'm sure I've caused most readers to fall asleep by now, but if your are selling a game at Expo, you need to know this information. And we will cover it when people arrive (if they are selling/trading) as they come in.
    -Rob Craig

#828 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

During a quick call with Rob Berk yesterday, he mentioned he was spending a small fortune on local advertising. Sounds like he is taking a page from other shows and trying to draw in a wider attendance this year.

Good thing the owners of the free play games are being “compensated.”

#829 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

PRGE is also that weekend... Not really a pinball show, but the pin presence has been increasing: Marco will be there for the first time.
    It's a great show by the way, especially if you have some cross-over interest in retro video gaming. I'm hitting that one: glad we have an option in the PNW.

Always wanted to check out both the PRGE and SRGE. Hopefully one day!

#830 5 years ago

Way to much confusion to bring a game . i NEVER believed in stopping anyone or penalizing seller for selling a game and more people is not necessarily good... longer lines I really believe we had a pretty close knit croud from all over that word at expo that made us different from many shows.. I really wish BERK had put 10 per cent of the effort in last 30 years that he is this year...will be interesting to see the results overall.. The banquet made us different and was BERKS thing forever cant believe its gone as well as the make a wish auction The main speakers at the banquet over the years were historical and epic...

#831 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Way to much confusion to bring a game . i NEVER believed in stopping anyone or penalizing seller for selling a game and more people is not necessarily good... longer lines I really believe we had a pretty close knit croud from all over that word at expo that made us different from many shows.. I really wish BERK had put 10 per cent of the effort in last 30 years that he is this year...will be interesting to see the results overall.. The banquet made us different and was BERKS thing forever cant believe its gone as well as the make a wish auction The main speakers at the banquet over the years were historical and epic...

Seems like the poll shows Nobody cared for the banquet. I look forward to an all new show format and Applaud bringing pinball and it's culture to new interests and opening it up to people that never even heard of this type of show. Pinball was always some underground private club which never made sense to me. I want this hobby to Grow and stop the secret members only vibe. Very much look forward to a Growing hobby with New life and opportunity personally.

#832 5 years ago

well there are many other very confusing things that I am not going to get into one being it was advertised to be an auction where is it.. and the FREE DINNER weds is another mystery.. whos invited?

#833 5 years ago

RobCraig

If I bring 7 pins, and sell 1 or 2, is there a penalty? Since benefits stop after 4 machines. Need to know, because that might mean I have to maybe leave the extras on the trailer. But I assume you would want to have all the games you can get

#834 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Pinball was always some underground private club which never made sense to me.

That is a recurring theme in the upper midwest (great lakes region) for some reason. Other regions are far different. The epicenter of pinball drama and crimes against other hobbyists sure for sure.

#835 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I did enjoy the banquet, the Make A Wish auction , food and the pinball inductees. Then go and play pinball til 3am

#836 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Seems like the poll shows Nobody cared for the banquet. I look forward to an all new show format and Applaud bringing pinball and it's culture to new interests and opening it up to people that never even heard of this type of show. Pinball was always some underground private club which never made sense to me. I want this hobby to Grow and stop the secret members only vibe. Very much look forward to a Growing hobby with New life and opportunity personally.

I recall a couple banquets that were not full. All others were completely filled up.

#837 5 years ago

Will be missing this years show for the first time in over 20 years due to moms health. Was looking forward to seeing how the new show worked out and stocking up on parts, not to mention seeing some old friends. Bummed.

#838 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Way to much confusion to bring a game . i NEVER believed in stopping anyone or penalizing seller for selling a game and more people is not necessarily good... longer lines I really believe we had a pretty close knit croud from all over that word at expo that made us different from many shows.

semi revisionist history there Mike. games not for sale officially, were free admission. the policy was if it was for sale you did not get free admission. It never actually worked that way, but that was your policy.

Now go away.

#839 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Sellers are responsible for any fees for early removal. As games come in, we will spell this policy out. Sellers should find out if the game they are selling is leaving early and pay any fees for early withdrawal. Why? Because they were the ones compensated when they brought in the game. Any change in ownership for a game - selling or trading - requires a visit to the desk in the gameroom so we can keep ownership straight. If someone sells a game at 3AM - we won't be there. They'll have to come in the next morning at 10AM to get it worked out. We will have a table in the gameroom from 10AM-Midnight Friday and 10AM - 1AM Saturday.
    Example - Rob Craig brings in an X-Files on Thursday and gets an armband. Darren Sheldon wants to buy the game Thursday night. Rob asks Darren when he plans on leaving. Darren says Friday. Rob is staying until Saturday night. So Rob either charges Darren $60 more just eats the cost. Both parties come up to the table we have set up in the Gameroom and state that there has been an ownership change. We fill out a new card for the game and update our database. Rob also explains that the game is leaving Friday morning and that he is staying until Saturday night. Since Rob is still getting a $30/day benefit out of the free armband he received for bringing a game, he can either pay $60 or we can cut off the armband and he can go to the registration desk and buy a fresh new armband for all day Friday and another for all day Saturday.
    This process serves those that go to the show in keeping games there for the duration of the show (if possible), it servers the buyers because they haven't been compensated for any part of the show - just the seller. And it prevents someone from bringing a game on Wed or Thrs, selling it within the first few hours, the buyer splits, then no one else at the show ever gets to play the game.
    I'm sure I've caused most readers to fall asleep by now, but if your are selling a game at Expo, you need to know this information. And we will cover it when people arrive (if they are selling/trading) as they come in.
    -Rob Craig

EXPO (resized).JPGEXPO (resized).JPG
    #840 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I recall a couple banquets that were not full. All others were completely filled up.

I think it was often noted that people came to the banquet that hadn't paid for it. That could have been why the room was filled at time and wasn't at others.

#841 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Your running commentary is simply not a good look for you. Either try to smooth over the relationship and become part of Expo again or go start your own thing. It sounded like you had something set up with the MGC guys before the split. If you can build a better show, then people will come. Money is agnostic... it flows where it sees the best value.

Bottom line for whomever runs these shows (and it's been said numerous times previously), a successful show is about the games. Lots of games on freeplay and you get lots of traffic. Just look at what Clay does with VFW. Now take that experience and add vendors, auction, social mixers, etc. and you have a very successful show. Advertising to bring in a ton of people without the inventory of games to meet the capacity of visitors is a recipe for disaster.

#842 5 years ago

I have tried to work things out BERK has refused to talk ever since last november when he decided he wanted me out NEVER would talk we talked once after he got lawyer involved YES I was to have show with mgp guys BUT after I cashed a check from BERK after he SAID many times and posted everywhere he was not having a show at westin he took the westin contract.. I would have never sold out without that contract whic he point blank told everyone and me in texts I could do my oun show at westin we have been supposed to go to court for moths but he postpones it every time we ill get there someday and i believe i will be back at westin next year ...and even worce he has banned me from my friends of 33 years alll bullshit

#843 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I have tried to work things out BERK has refused to talk ever since last november when he decided he wanted me out NEVER would talk we talked once after he got lawyer involved YES I was to have show with mgp guys BUT after I cashed a check from BERK after he SAID many times and posted everywhere he was not having a show at westin he took the westin contract.. I would have never sold out without that contract whic he point blank told everyone and me in texts I could do my oun show at westin we have been supposed to go to court for moths but he postpones it every time we ill get there someday and i believe i will be back at westin next year ...and even worce he has banned me from my friends of 33 years alll bullshit

blah blah, just be quiet. You are apparently banned from the show. Its a public hotel though so if you really wanted to see your friends you could, just not in the expo controlled areas.

#845 5 years ago

Moderators...time to eject someone.

#846 5 years ago

Please lay off Mike. This is obviously a very emotional situation for him, and pouring salt into the wound is just plain cruel. If you can't refrain from doing so, you will be ejected from this thread.

#847 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Please lay off Mike. This is obviously a very emotional situation for him, and pouring salt into the wound is just plain cruel. If you can't refrain from doing so, you will be ejected from this thread.

Brian, Is there another thread with discussion only of what's happening at this years expo? Wondering if another thread for the legal ramifications, emotional wrangling, and bickering of what might happen next year or in the courts would be justified.

I have no horse in this race as I know very few of the players. I just keep coming to this thread to find out what I have in store for me next week when I show up and every time I end up wanting to drain it... but I can't find an alternative thread.

#848 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

Brigitt sent me the vendor list for the souvenir guide. It looks like this:
    American Pinball, Inc.
    AMOA

I got that same list from Rob Berk. Definitely some interesting entries, and he assured me that these are the firms (and people) with actual booths. Yes, that means Derek Fugate and Christopher Franchi have booths.

An official presence by the AMOA, the national operators' association, is quite intriguing. Maybe they will try to recruit members from among those in attendance who operate pinballs on location.

Custom & Homebrew Pinball Machines has involvement from Jeremy Wilson. If they're taking a booth, that constitutes a warming of relations over the decades.

I believe DICED! is a non-electrified game played with dice. That's a new type of vendor for Expo, though many other "gamer shows" combine pinball, video, and board games.

I think Galloping Ghost Arcade might have a booth just to be supportive. The arcade is not that far away.

ICE and UNIS are manufacturers of arcade pieces. They would normally be seen at the AMOA and similar shows, not at consumer shows.

Mayfair hasn't exhibited at Expo in many years! They are a stalwart at Pintastic New England and other shows in the Northeast.

Pinball Adventures is the pinballbuzz.com people, another first-time exhibitor.

I think Super Skill Shot is a first-time vendor. I haven't been following the custom shooter business that closely.

As for World Champion Paul Zimmerman, he should come on here himself and explain what's gonna happen in his booth.
    .................David Marston

#849 5 years ago

The ghost is bringing arcade games to make the room full. It's a great arcade, just not good on pins.

#850 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I got that same list from Rob Berk. Definitely some interesting entries, and he assured me that these are the firms (and people) with actual booths. Yes, that means Derek Fugate and Christopher Franchi have booths.
    An official presence by the AMOA, the national operators' association, is quite intriguing. Maybe they will try to recruit members from among those in attendance who operate pinballs on location.
    Custom & Homebrew Pinball Machines has involvement from Jeremy Wilson. If they're taking a booth, that constitutes a warming of relations over the decades.
    I believe DICED! is a non-electrified game played with dice. That's a new type of vendor for Expo, though many other "gamer shows" combine pinball, video, and board games.
    I think Galloping Ghost Arcade might have a booth just to be supportive. The arcade is not that far away.
    ICE and UNIS are manufacturers of arcade pieces. They would normally be seen at the AMOA and similar shows, not at consumer shows.
    Mayfair hasn't exhibited at Expo in many years! They are a stalwart at Pintastic New England and other shows in the Northeast.
    Pinball Adventures is the pinballbuzz.com people, another first-time exhibitor.
    I think Super Skill Shot is a first-time vendor. I haven't been following the custom shooter business that closely.
    As for World Champion Paul Zimmerman, he should come on here himself and explain what's gonna happen in his booth.
    .................David Marston

Good to see Steve Engel MayFair Amusements back.

There are 1,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2018-reboot-wheeling-il/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.