Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 611 posts
  • 198 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mikepin
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20171012_182441 (resized).jpg
    20171015_175605-1 (2) (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    0DAEE354-8839-4E8F-9A6A-F2AFF1A189DA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20171014_164834 (resized).jpg
    20171014_120237 (resized).jpg
    poochie_old01 (resized).jpg
    20171013_214054 (resized).jpg
    CannedHeatStorage_CopyrightYourFamilyArkLLC (resized).jpg
    20171013_101426 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0913 (resized).JPG
    20171013_141539 (resized).jpg
    20171013_141534 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

It's up to us to keep Expo growing into the future.

I would actually say it is up to us to decide where to best put our efforts for the long term growth of the hobby and where our voulenteered time is best spent/ whom really benefits from that. I was told how profitable this show has been for the organizers and it honestly amazed me how much was made on the backs of voulenteers that are doing it for the hobby.

I have heard a rumor at this point that next year there is a chance of am alternative show, one that will bring in the possibility for more community support, and more about actually growing and taking things in a new and rejuventaed direction.

I woudl suggest that by supporting some shows and bringing in profits for some people that the community could be hurting itself in the long run.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marcdaddy:

This is disappointing, T.N.A. has been at the last couple shows and was Whitewood last year at the show. So I have cash in hand was hoping to put in a deposit on it to someone! I just wanted to see it in person, Pinball Life event I cant get off of work for this year. Not likely Spooky will care if they lose 1 customer, ill wait for the next Remake from Chicago Gaming to take my cash.

You can come play mine as soon as I have it. It will be going on route at Alt Brew (1808 Wright St in madison, WI)

Let me know when you want to come up and I'll play a few games with you, on the house.

#80 6 years ago

Are you able to put dividers in the vendor hall. Maybe you could block off areas.

1 area for vendors with games for play and that also want to be open for most sales. 1 area with reduced hours to allow for smaller vendors to participate.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Just to add a little more to the conversation. People just need to get over themselves. Yeah Mike does yell sometimes. We've all heard it. But you need to look at the bigger picture. Don't let one guy who's having a bad day ruin pinball for everybody else. Chicago pinball Expo is one of the largest and probably one of the best shows in the country, in spite of itself. So everybody should try their best to get along and do what is right for pinball. We may not like all the personalities involved, but we need to be bigger people than that. We all need to step up. This, "I'm going to boycott expo" thing, it's really just crap. Don't be self righteous. Look at the bigger picture. And for Mike, I'll have some words with him and see if we can get him to medicate a little stronger and be more calm. But you need to walk a mile in his shoes too. We need to understand the complications He has. And also understand that he is somewhat bipolar.

this is silly.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Mike's job is more complicated than these other shows. The bureaucracy level in Chicago is incredible. Have you ever seen the fire marshal come through pinball Expo? He comes every year. Have I ever seen that at any other showing in the United States? No, never. This is just one example.
    To that point, I've actually seen the fire marshal write Mike a ticket. When Mike lays down tape lines for your booth space they're there for a reason. Don't violate them. Because if you do in the fire marshal sees it, mike get fined. This happens nearly every year because somebody doesn't play by the rules. Is that Mike's fault? No. Is it the vendors fault? Yes. Who do you think Mike's going to take that out on????
    Again all you Monday morning quarterbacks that have never run a show just don't have a clue or concept of what it's all about. There's a lot more to this than just cashing checks and taking people's money.

of course there is. It is work and obviously there is money in it.

That does not mean anyone needs to be a dick while they do it. The show has run for so many years and the 1 main point of feedback is always the same. Some people are incapable of change.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I suspect at this point the Texas show is both bigger and more complicated than Expo, especially this year with the venue change

did TPF change venues?

#154 6 years ago

The audience and people paying to attend Expo has shifted (like the whole of pinball world has) but nothing has been done to really evolve the show.

Outside of that, it is the same problem every year after Expo and that has not changed.

If it was not for JJP#4 (and my desire to support Eric by being there) combined with my plans to already pick up games in the parking lot, then I would not be going at all.

Honestly Mikes need to thank JJP big time for this year as that game #4 will be responsible for a good chunck of ticket sales.

Aside form that he should be thankful for PBLife. That is also getting many people into town.

It is clear that many people are only coming this year to see those few things and see some buddies they only see 1 or 2x per year.

1 week later
    #233 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Godzilla color dmd pic looks awesome!

cant wait to see it in person!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for doing this one!

now get BW screen size so somebody can do that one

#331 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Expo vendor area filling up nicely. Many new games to play and buy. Free play area almost filled to capacity. Going to be great.

I would not say the free play area is exactly alomost filled...

About 60% and lots of space to fill currently

Some fun games though

IMG_1292 (resized).JPGIMG_1292 (resized).JPG

IMG_1293 (resized).JPGIMG_1293 (resized).JPG

IMG_1295 (resized).JPGIMG_1295 (resized).JPG

#351 6 years ago
    Quoted from J-Freeze:

And if the ball goes to the bowling ally it gets screwed up...
    Also the free play room was pretty full by the time it opened.

Actually free play room was only 114 pinball machines as of midnight. Of those, 24 were turned off and not functional (many of those were off from 6pm when the doors opened).

Last year i think there were 145 games on thursday at midnight.

Vendor hall was about 60% capacity of last year.

Disappointing but also expected.

I am looking forward to PBLife party

#402 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Was that you in the Madison Pinball sweatshirt, shitfaced, walking around with a can of beer in your hand last night?

Nope. We sell swag to anyone tha wants to buy it. Lots of people that support so could have been any number of awesome guys having a good time last night.

#404 6 years ago
    Quoted from Overphase:

Update from the Expo: Friday evening at 9:30 there were 119 pinball machines in the free play room (a couple had been moved to the Stern-A-Palooza), and 23 of them were broken or not set up.

Appreciate the update. Under 100 playable games on friday night is just sad.

23 unplayable games and the lead tech was at pinball life party for most of the afternoon... Was really suprised to see that wheni saw so many broken games on thursday night and friday morning.

Oh well... expo is not the show to go for to play lots of games and we knew that.

Glad JJP4 made it worth it to spend the cash to travel, hotel,and show ticket.

#426 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Clay was there for like an hour, not all afternoon. Is he not allowed to enjoy some time off? He even talked about how it was the first time he'd left the show since Wednesday.

Not really. If you are the advertised on site repair person for all day thursday and all day friday then i would expect you to be on site the whole time. It took 45 min just to drive to pbl, hang for and hour, and another 45 to drive back. I was suprised to see the on site repair tech shut it down to spend the afternoon elsewhere. There were over 20 games down on thursday night and more on friday.

The stark dichotomy would be the VFW show where most games are fixed in under 30 minutes, which made it evenmore suprising to see the lead tech taking a 3 plus hr afternoon break.

Pretty obvious to anyone at expo how much changed this year compared to even last. I guess the one perk is that is was not packed at all and easy to see everything in a short time. I had fun for my 12hrs of time spent there, but am happy I am back home already and getting some work done today.

#432 6 years ago

Not a bash on clay. A bash on the fact that Mike and expo were so proud to sell that they had found Robs replacement and that there was onsite repair for games all day thursday and friday.

CLay also went to pinside meet and greet at twin peaks. the show should not try to sell the idea of onsite repair when it is not the case. Mike treated people like shit, they opted not to be part of his show, he tried to sell that he found a replacement, and it was all BS.

I think it is great clay helps out and he is a grea tech, but expo did not have even remotely the previous offering.

People can have a good time at the show, like I did, and also see that it continues downhill.
    If people continue to lie online and say the free play room was full, the vendor haul was packed, and there was onsite game repair then it is BS for other people that read this and go spend money at the show. In fact it does not do us or the show any good to continue down this trajectory. lieing about things is a crappy thing to do for fellow pinheads and a shame that some here are doing just that.

#469 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Oh, wait. Someone already did that.

pics please. That is funny

#504 6 years ago

fixed for the DBag to clarify this was a reply to the other DBag...

And here I thought you were being nice for once and someone had actually brought a cardboard box and tried to punk peopleby making them think there was a NIB TNA in it.

Sad to see it is your same old hack... and you wonder why people specifically won't sell games to you when you are hunting for them. Not only do you have no manners, you are hurting yourself in this hobby. Sad, because guys like you could probably use a few friends and honestly would have more fun if you made a few and then played some pinball with them.

#507 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

You do realize you're replying to yourself with these statements.. mmmm delicious irony LOL

yeah, quote of a quote system does not work well on pinside...

#541 6 years ago

Your godzilla played great! Thx for bringing it!!!

ColorDMD also looked tits!!!!

#568 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I doubt it. Expo survived the change from an industry show to more of a hobby/collector show.
    Give it time. And Mike is always the one to hold out the olive branch. Look how many times Mike tried to get Gene from Illinois Pin Ball back. And their differences went deeper than Expo.
    And with the continuing growth of pinball. Expo will be there.
    LTG : )

I was told there is a decent chance of a competing show next year. If that happens, then I think expo is genuinely in trouble.

#584 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This could really hurt pinball as a whole.

it could also realy help pinball as a whole

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2017-updates?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.