Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 611 posts
  • 198 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mikepin
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20171012_182441 (resized).jpg
    20171015_175605-1 (2) (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    0DAEE354-8839-4E8F-9A6A-F2AFF1A189DA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20171014_164834 (resized).jpg
    20171014_120237 (resized).jpg
    poochie_old01 (resized).jpg
    20171013_214054 (resized).jpg
    CannedHeatStorage_CopyrightYourFamilyArkLLC (resized).jpg
    20171013_101426 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0913 (resized).JPG
    20171013_141539 (resized).jpg
    20171013_141534 (resized).jpg

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

All systems are good to go in the FAST camp, we just couldn’t make it this year.

Darn it Aaron, who will haul my oversize swag back to Seattle?

#152 6 years ago

Ok I feel like I'm going to repeat what I always say after the show when people are complaining about it, but I'll say it before the show this year.

Expo is an industry show.

This is something that I always feel like people overlook with it. And, since my show is more or less just up the road from it, people like to compare the two, and I always feel like I have to say no, it's different.

The Midwest Gaming Classic is a players show. We are built as a trade show focused around the end user.

Expo is a show that was created to fill an industry void when pinball needed an industry show. 33 years ago, in the freaking 80s, when the show started, almost no one going was just a pinball fan. They were in the industry, either ops looking to route new games, looking for repair tips, people figuring out hat games would earn, and so on.

The Midwest Gaming Classic has never had this element. Expo still does.

If Mike were to make Expo more "like" the Midwest Gaming Classic, he would risk alienating his audience, alienating the industry that still uses it as their fall reveal show, and certain aspects of the financial way that it is put together wouldn't work, making the risk much higher to run it.

If the MGC suddenly became a five day show, I'd also lose my butt on it. Because we never set it up for that.

Expo has the problem of trying to be all things for all people now, something very difficult to do. Mike tries to thread a difficult needle by working for the wants of the industry as well as the fans. I for one can't imagine trying to run a show for five days straight.

I'm saying this because ultimately, Expo is different. And looking at it from purely a fan point of view doesn't work. Mike has to balance that.

Could he balance it better? I don't know - probably, but it's impossible to know everything going on, and he is now trying to satisfy FAR more groups than when he started.

It's a difficult task, and for that I'm grateful. I hope in the future he can improve that further for the betterment of the show.

#153 6 years ago

Dan: For the record, for the longest time I had no idea what you looked like. Few years back I was talking to Nate Shivers and you commented on something about why JPOP wasn't showing up to MGC. I had no idea that was you. You were calm and cool like a volunteer running the show, not a person RUNNING a show and screaming like a raving madman worrying about fire marshalls, people pulling games, and whether you were going to break even this year. I know you think about those things, but you aren't lashing out in public about it. I really don't know how you do it every year.

#154 6 years ago

The audience and people paying to attend Expo has shifted (like the whole of pinball world has) but nothing has been done to really evolve the show.

Outside of that, it is the same problem every year after Expo and that has not changed.

If it was not for JJP#4 (and my desire to support Eric by being there) combined with my plans to already pick up games in the parking lot, then I would not be going at all.

Honestly Mikes need to thank JJP big time for this year as that game #4 will be responsible for a good chunck of ticket sales.

Aside form that he should be thankful for PBLife. That is also getting many people into town.

It is clear that many people are only coming this year to see those few things and see some buddies they only see 1 or 2x per year.

#155 6 years ago

For those interested, I'm bringing a new table top "bingo" style pinball table I designed to EXPO this year. It will be in the Cointaker booth on Friday and Saturday. See here for details:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coming-soon-to-expo-2017-from-riot-pinball

dmh_front (resized).jpgdmh_front (resized).jpg
    dmh_angle (resized).jpgdmh_angle (resized).jpg

#156 6 years ago

For what its worth In a meeting with my Partner Rob yesterday HE told me he had read somewhere that Multimorphic had some problems with their system . I dot know where he got it ..sorry for wrong onfo I never said a word about FAST I new they has some personal issues going on

#157 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Dan: For the record, for the longest time I had no idea what you looked like. Few years back I was talking to Nate Shivers and you commented on something about why JPOP wasn't showing up to MGC. I had no idea that was you. You were calm and cool like a volunteer running the show, not a person RUNNING a show and screaming like a raving madman worrying about fire marshalls, people pulling games, and whether you were going to break even this year. I know you think about those things, but you aren't lashing out in public about it. I really don't know how you do it every year.

I was going to make some sort of attempt at being funny in my reply, but in all honesty...

The Midwest Gaming Classic exists not because of me, but in spite of me. Gary and I tried killing it. Others came back and decided to talk us into trying it again.

I don't run the MGC for any reason other than to see a whole ton of friends and have excuses to randomly call them and chat throughout the year.

Expo is not run in spite of Mike, it's run because of him. It's a different dynamic.

Additionally, I had a job for a long time managing at a theme park, and consulting st others. I've been personally in charge of a park that was entertaining 40,000 people.

I learned from that experience what works and what doesn't for me. A TON of MGC theory is based on that time.

I do still wake up with nightmares about people not showing up and me needing to sell my car, relatively regularly, but we've gotten to a better point in managing our money where if we need to pull back, we can and I can feel safer.

And honestly, I also have Gary, who is the yin to my yang. Seriously. He handles all the behind the scenes stuff that I don't want to deal with. I handle all the front of house stuff that he doesn't like doing. It works out super well.

But no matter what, both Gary and I know that no one - NO ONE - comes to stare at us. They come for what we enable others to do. And we're both infinitely appreciative of that, as it allows us to see out friends yearly.

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The audience and people paying to attend Expo has shifted (like the whole of pinball world has) but nothing has been done to really evolve the show.

Honestly though, this isn't true unless you just look at it from the last few years. I went to the 2000 show. I can't begin to describe how different it was. Hours, tournaments, when things were open, how seminars worked, etc have all changed significantly.

I wish I knew where this quote came from, but someone said you always overestimate what can be done in a year and underestimate what can be done in ten, and looking at Expo from that lens, it sure has shifted.

There isn't a way to fully shift it without changing what it is. Anyone (this wasn't you, Whysnow) who argues MGC is trying to do what Expo does (or vice versa) I think doesn't understand the differences between the shows.

I do think Expo needs to better embrace the differences that it has by being an industry show instead of trying to be a show that does everything, but I think a sudden shift to a non industry show would be very difficult to do, and then there I'd again a void for the industry show again... And now, we have enough industry it's useful for that I think.

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

For what its worth In a meeting with my Partner Rob yesterday HE told me he had read somewhere that Multimorphic had some problems with their system . I dot know where he got it ..sorry for wrong onfo

I don't know where you would have gotten such incorrect info either. It's completely false and arguably libelous.

To set the record straight, there are no serious issues with our P-ROC/P3-ROC control systems, our P3 machines, or anything else we are working on. In fact, we're continuing to grow our production volumes and customer base. We're shipping record numbers of P3s and control systems, and we're helping a bunch of the new machine manufacturers get off the ground. This is a record year for Multimorphic, and the future looks even better as we continue to improve the P3 ecosystem as well as supply control systems to more and more other manufacturers.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#160 6 years ago

@mikepin
    -Why do you yell at people ?
    -Why do you post unverified incorrect information about companies here?

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

For what its worth In a meeting with my Partner Rob yesterday HE told me he had read somewhere that Multimorphic had some problems with their system . I dot know where he got it ..sorry for wrong onfo I never said a word about FAST I new they has some personal issues going on

Let me fix this for you. They(Multimorphic) do not have some system issues, they have issues with you and your tirades.

#162 6 years ago

Driving down to the show Saturday morning. I understand the Vendor Hall isn't open until 10:00 am....

But what time is there somebody at the show admission tables so I can pay for cash Entry fee and get into the Free play game hall ?
    I would like to arrive earlier - maybe by 8:00 or 8:30 am. Is somebody manning and taking admissions by then ?

Thanks

#163 6 years ago

Mike needs to go or be sedated during the expo.Everyone else has been courteous and nice and professional.

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

IMG_1330 (resized).JPGIMG_1330 (resized).JPG

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Let me fix this for you. They do not have some personal issues, they have issues with you and your tirades.

I don’t need you putting words in my mouth. I let Mike know a while back that we wouldn’t be attending this year as I am in the middle of selling a house and buying a new one. No way I would leave my family for a week+ in the middle of all of that.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Let me fix this for you. They(Multimorphic) do not have some system issues, they have issues with you and your tirades.

Aaron,

I am sorry, I was as clear as a Mikepin post. I meant that as Multimorphic, not FAST pinball. My apology to you!

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Aaron,
    I am sorry, I was as clear as a Mikepin post. I meant that as Multimorphic, not FAST pinball. My apology to you!

No worries!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Instead of getting Mugged, can you get Yelled?

Please don't do that shit.

Lloyd

#170 6 years ago

Leave Mikes alone he is a great guys!

Mark Salas
    CARGPB 30

Expo Pack Faces (resized).pngExpo Pack Faces (resized).png

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Have you ever seen the fire marshal come through pinball Expo? He comes every year. Have I ever seen that at any other showing in the United States? No, never. This is just one example.

There is so much wrong with what I am reading here, it's amazing. Also for the record, I have personally dealt with the fire marshal at MGC every year for the past several years. Every year, we get a punch list from him at around the 11th hour, and we make it all happen - apparently without anyone else noticing.

Rest assured, the fire department, the police department, and the city / county are ever-present at MGC - and it's not always fun. I have little doubt that other shows have their own challenges and stress. It's all about how you deal with that stress.

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

apparently without anyone else noticing

I noticed

Quoted from Goonie:

Rest assured, the fire department, the police department, and the city / county are ever-present at MGC - and it's not always fun

Off the top of my head, you forgot state, licensing, and insurance. But whose counting?

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

apparently without anyone else noticing.

The MGC's I have attended the various dept's are very visible and scoping the whole show out in the name of public safety. I did notice.

Great job keeping the show going.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

There is so much wrong with what I am reading here, it's amazing. Also for the record, I have personally dealt with the fire marshal at MGC every year for the past several years. Every year, we get a punch list from him at around the 11th hour, and we make it all happen - apparently without anyone else noticing.
    Rest assured, the fire department, the police department, and the city / county are ever-present at MGC - and it's not always fun. I have little doubt that other shows have their own challenges and stress. It's all about how you deal with that stress.

I can't think of a show in the country that I've been to that doesn't have to deal with at least the fire department. Some certainly do it more seamlessly than others.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

The MGC's I have attended the various dept's are very visible and scoping the whole show out in the name of public safety. I did notice.
    Great job keeping the show going.

Were you there they year the police kept searching the event for the pinball tournaments?

THAT was a fun time.

Have I ever seen that at any other showing in the United States? No, never.

#176 6 years ago

At TPF there are cops everywhere! Oh wait...

#177 6 years ago

The problem is things get moved all the time and doors get blocked that cant be blocked vendors bring in take out stuff and games IF the inspector comes in and catches things blocking exits we get fined IT HAS happened SO yes I get a little testy after the second or third time I ASK someone to move things You would too

#178 6 years ago

wanted to go this year, after reading these posts,..... i'll just stay home!

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

wanted to go this year, after reading these posts,..... i'll just stay home!

You can find threads like this going back years, but there's always been good reasons to go to Expo especially if you haven't been before. Despite the issues, a lot of the people posting in this thread will still either be on site to visit or at the Pinball Life party.

#180 6 years ago

Please stop with the "show" dick measuring contest. No one gives a shit.

#181 6 years ago

Driving down to the show Saturday morning. I understand the Vendor Hall isn't open until 10:00 am....
    But what time is there somebody at the show admission tables so I can pay for cash Entry fee and get into the Free play game hall ?
    I would like to arrive earlier - maybe by 8:00 or 8:30 am. Is somebody manning and taking admissions by then ?

Any help on my question please.... Thanks again.

#182 6 years ago

yes john you can arrive early and buy a ticket up front by the tournment. the ladies at the front desk are always willing to help. there up by 8am.

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

yes john you can arrive early and buy a ticket up front by the tournment. the ladies at the front desk are always willing to help. there up by 8am.

Thanks Much.

#184 6 years ago

see you in the free play hall buddy.

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Please stop with the "show" dick measuring contest. No one gives a shit.

We're not doing that though. There is a whole backside to shows that people simply don't know about and usually don't care about. Mike and I discuss things like this on a semi regular basis.

If you got, "man, the police came to the show to search it, I'm clearly the most awesomest" you missed the point.

I'll say it again, there is a unique set of circumstances for every show. In Mike's defense, Expo is longer than every other show with longer hours for the days it is open. There are simply more opportunities for something to go wrong.

That isn't to say that Mike handles it all perfectly, and he'd tell you that himself. None of us do. As I've acknowledged and will continue to, he has another impossible task of trying to make the industry show also cater to collectors. That I'm certain wasn't part of the business plan when Expo started years and years ago.

Again, I love Expo, and hope it continues to succeed. I'm acutely aware of the problems Mike faces, and have talked with him about them and wish i could help. I've been missing it far more than I like in recent years because of my schedule, which appears to not be changing this year. I've been going though since 2000.

#186 6 years ago

REMINDER! Today is the last day to preorder a ColorDMD for free delivery/pickup at Expo.

We won't have any additional displays available for sale at the show, so please preorder today if you want to pick one up at Expo.

We're receiving a good response to our discount offer for bringing a game and exhibiting a display at the show. If you're thinking about bringing a game, receive $50 off the purchase of a new display in addition to any incentives provided by the show organizers. Please contact us for details.

Colorized games we're expecting to see in the player hall (subject to change): MM, MB, CFTBL, CSI (Sigma), SM, TFTC, STTNG, FG, DH, TRON, WPT, more...

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Colorized games we're expecting to see in the player hall (subject to change): MM, MB, CFTBL, CSI (Sigma), SM, TFTC, STTNG, FG, DH, TRON, WPT, more...

It's the "more" that's the sexy part.

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

The problem is things get moved all the time and doors get blocked that cant be blocked vendors bring in take out stuff and games IF the inspector comes in and catches things blocking exits we get fined IT HAS happened SO yes I get a little testy after the second or third time I ASK someone to move things You would too

Have these requirements spelled out completely in a contract that you have the vendor sign. Be sure to give them a photocopy with their signature.
    If they violate the contract and you get fined, you fine them, as stated in the contract. Give them a copy of the ticket and picture(s) showing the violation.
    If they don't pay, they don't come to future shows until they settle their fine.
    If you end up paying the fine that's just a cost of doing business, same as suing them for the fine.
    No yelling, no reason for anybody to get mad....everything's spelled out ahead of time, cut and dried.
    They pay the fine one time and most likely they will never have another violation.

#189 6 years ago

Went last year with my Son all the way from Australia and had a great time Not going this year but hope to attend in 2018 awesome event

#190 6 years ago

I cannot attend this year unfortunately...PLEASE STREAM OR RECORD BM66 discussion if possible....huge thanks

#191 6 years ago

I wasn't going to go, but I can't resist. Friday night for me.

#192 6 years ago

More on the repair room. again i'll be there thursday and friday. again it's the room Rob Anthony was in formerly. Can fix a variety of games including EMs. But please if you're bring a game or board for onsite repair, i need to know ahead, so i can have the appropriate schematics and tester. No PMs please, direct emails to [email protected]

I can do NVram installs for $25 and that includes the NVram. This is appropriate for WPC and system11 boards where the RAM is not socketed (have to de-solder the original RAM and install a socket.) Dataeast/Sega/Stern whitestar boards are already socketed so you don't need me, just buy an NVram (from any source) and plug it in.

Also can do coin battery holder installs for $5 (includes the coin battery). This works well on WPC CPU boards and other assorted CPU boards. It's an excellent and cheap solution, if you don't want to spend money for an NVram and its installation. Personally i use this on all my WPC games (especially those with "midnight madness" modes, where NVram doesn't really work well.)

Battery corrosion repair is tricky to do on-site at Expo. I can do some minor corrosion stuff, but if it's extreme in any way, it just can't be done effectively there. I just wanted people to know that.

#193 6 years ago

Weekend Expo Bump!

#194 6 years ago

Hey guys. I bought two tickets for the Friday PBL open house because I was planning to attend. Now I cannot go. Just looking for face value plus cover 10.00 for me to Fedex them to you. I want to keep them together so you have to buy both tickets. I would FedEx them to you Monday so you would have them Tuesday.
    First person to pm I will send you my PayPal address.

Added over 6 years ago: ** tickets are sold.

#195 6 years ago

I feel like a kid anxiously anticipating Christmas morning. The waiting is the hardest part.
    PARTYTIME! EXCELLENT!

#196 6 years ago

I've been searching for the Expo vendor thread with no luck. Anyone know if Titan will have a booth? And if so, is it a significant savings vs. buying them online now? Thanks.

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

The vendor forms are not due until Oct 1 some are in will post what I have later

Any luck getting the vendor list compiled and posted?

#198 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Yeah, rub a lamp. He still has J.T. and JPop as past and present Autograph signers.

#199 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Wow! Nice.
    The reason Multimorphic and the PROC custom games won't be at Expo is because when you were finished yelling at the owner of the company at the top of your lungs last year, he very professionally told you he wouldn't be back. He's kept his word, as have many others.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

Funny when I said this as a new person I was down voted repeatedly, Rob or Scott says it and it's all up voted all the time, typical clanish pinside behavior.

#200 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

See the repeatedly down voted post 22. He won't, and had never revealed this info. He won't let vendors close during the open hours. But Clay is only doing 2 days? Says how desperate Mike is to have a repair guy there since Rob turned him down. I'm glad Clay will be there, he is good, there does need to be someone. But Mike's vending his own rules out of desperation.

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2017-updates/page/4?hl=hughesdforce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.