Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 611 posts
  • 198 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mikepin
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20171012_182441 (resized).jpg
    20171015_175605-1 (2) (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    0DAEE354-8839-4E8F-9A6A-F2AFF1A189DA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20171014_164834 (resized).jpg
    20171014_120237 (resized).jpg
    poochie_old01 (resized).jpg
    20171013_214054 (resized).jpg
    CannedHeatStorage_CopyrightYourFamilyArkLLC (resized).jpg
    20171013_101426 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0913 (resized).JPG
    20171013_141539 (resized).jpg
    20171013_141534 (resized).jpg

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djsandoz:

I'm coming up Thursday only need to get a pass for stern tour and vendor hall do I got to pre pay or can I get the stern pass that morning?

You might contact them off the website. pinballexpo.com , the buses leaver very early for the Stern tour and I don't know if the front tables are open yet to sell passes and stuff.

LTG : )

#102 6 years ago

Well at least the real reason we aren’t there is now clearly visible. Sheesh.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

And as far as the boutique games i believe their website says they are having some issues with their system that is what i was told

Please don't start that shit.

The control systems you're referring to are the system of choice for most of the manufacturers unveiling new games for the past couple years, often times at YOUR show. As stated by many of the other passionate pinheads in this thread, the reason we and the Multimorphic crew won't be back is strictly because of YOU.

It isn't the 18+ hour drive to Chicago.
    It isn't the expense of flying several team members out there on a bootstrapped company's budget while you profit off of the two shows and a booth you do a year.
    It isn't the expense of putting in 14-16 hour days for 5 days straight.
    It isn't the painstaking labor that goes into our games weeks or months before a show just so that we have something AWESOME to show off at YOUR SHOW (which is also the reason that several people stated in THIS THREAD that they come to YOUR SHOW).
    It isn't the awesome help of Andrew and many of the other AWESOME volunteers at this show that are making it not worth our while.
    It isn't the taste of the awesome pizza and italian beef that the area has to offer.

No, its not any of that. Its you. Plain and simple, its you.

Its you that made everyone f*cking exhausted to attend your show and have to put up with your repetitive acts of verbal abuse and anxiety. Its you who is in denial about the cause of your attendee and vendor numbers dropping year over year.

I was going to bring my Wizard Blocks to expo this year, but I learned that most of my friends aren't going, and there isn't going to be a Multimorphic booth, so I guess it'll be at TPF again.

Again, its you, Mike. If you feel that I can make myself any clearer, please feel free to call me at 706-614-2410.

#105 6 years ago

I got into this hobby in 2003. And after attending another show heard about expo. I was lucky to be in class in shamburg for work the Thursday of and high tailed it over there. I didn’t know a single pin head but had a great time. When I attended I was impressed by the used parts And Games to play. Didn’t get to see a single talk.

Fast forward to two years ago. I went. And was dissapointed. I heard the parts venders couldn’t make it due to vending costs. Game room was sparse and vendign room had many open spaces. Had a good time because of my fellow pin head friends. Good food. Too. The highlight was talking to the home brew guys. If they are no longer there I won’t Be making the trip.

I would need a good reason to go back. I’m all about the parts.

#106 6 years ago

Im bummed out now, i wanted to play t.n.a. and purchase one. I have plans to go to Expo on Saturday but can't get off of work for the Pinball Life event. Damn what to do, what to do...

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Im bummed out now, i wanted to play t.n.a. and purchase one. I have plans to go to Expo on Saturday but can't get off of work for the Pinball Life event. Damn what to do, what to do...

I think I heard someone may be bringing one. Not Scott or spooky though.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Damn what to do, what to do...

Go to Expo when you can.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Go to Expo when you can.

I'll be there Saturday! I can't make it on Thursday or Friday due to work, also I can't leave my AFMR for more then 10 hours or I get withdrawls... Then I countdown the days until the next remake is announced, what date is the Texas show?

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Might want to make a day trip up to spooky (or pinball life). Call ahead to see if they are around and plan on making a day of it. Best part is, you will have the whole game to yourself

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

And as far as the boutique games i believe their website says they are having some issues with their system that is what i was told

I own two of these boutique games. Their systems are fine, thanks for asking.

#112 6 years ago

Personally i try and support shows that are within driving distance of me (ann arbor MI). Chicago Expo certainly falls into that distance range. Mike can be nice and nasty. When he gets mad it's best to walk away and come back later. It's generally pretty easy to do, as he calms down quickly.

As someone that has does a show, i understand Mike's aggravations. There's a lot to worry about when your name/insurance/money is on the line.

Anywho, I'll be at the Chicago Expo doing what i can to support PINBALL. that includes doing a seminar and taking over Rob Anythony's repair room.

Speaking of which... what type of services would people want in the repair room? you can haul in an entire game for repair (be it solidstate or EM.) Just if you're going to do that, please let me know ahead so i can bring appropriate schematics.

Do people want to bring WPC CPU boards for NVrams? Or for $5 i can put a coin battery/holder on nearly any CPU board that supports it (DE, WPC, Bally -17/-35, Williams sys3-11, etc.) On CPU boards with 5101 RAMs i highly recommend changing that to a socketed new Phillips 5101 (which i will have too, in addition to Ramtrons.)

Does anyone remember what Rob charged to put a socket on a WPC CPU board for an NVram? i can do that too, just don't know what the demand may be for that service.

What other boards do people want fixed at the show? I'll have a WPC CPU test fixture with me. Not sure if i should bring any other fixtures.... Ideas???

thanks
    [email protected] (this is the prefered email address, please no PMs.)

#113 6 years ago

Just to add a little more to the conversation. People just need to get over themselves. Yeah Mike does yell sometimes. We've all heard it. But you need to look at the bigger picture. Don't let one guy who's having a bad day ruin pinball for everybody else. Chicago pinball Expo is one of the largest and probably one of the best shows in the country, in spite of itself. So everybody should try their best to get along and do what is right for pinball. We may not like all the personalities involved, but we need to be bigger people than that. We all need to step up. This, "I'm going to boycott expo" thing, it's really just crap. Don't be self righteous. Look at the bigger picture. And for Mike, I'll have some words with him and see if we can get him to medicate a little stronger and be more calm. But you need to walk a mile in his shoes too. We need to understand the complications He has. And also understand that he is somewhat bipolar.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Just to add a little more to the conversation. People just need to get over themselves. Yeah Mike does yell sometimes. We've all heard it. But you need to look at the bigger picture. Don't let one guy who's having a bad day ruin pinball for everybody else. Chicago pinball Expo is one of the largest and probably one of the best shows in the country, in spite of itself. So everybody should try their best to get along and do what is right for pinball. We may not like all the personalities involved, but we need to be bigger people than that. We all need to step up. This, "I'm going to boycott expo" thing, it's really just crap. Don't be self righteous. Look at the bigger picture. And for Mike, I'll have some words with him and see if we can get him to medicate a little stronger and be more calm. But you need to walk a mile in his shoes too. We need to understand the complications He has. And also understand that he is somewhat bipolar.

this is silly.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

But you need to walk a mile in his shoes too. We need to understand the complications He has.

This is crap. Plenty of other people run shows without berating everyone. Like Dan at MGC or Ed at TPF. They're god damn delightful.

#116 6 years ago

Mike's job is more complicated than these other shows. The bureaucracy level in Chicago is incredible. Have you ever seen the fire marshal come through pinball Expo? He comes every year. Have I ever seen that at any other showing in the United States? No, never. This is just one example.

To that point, I've actually seen the fire marshal write Mike a ticket. When Mike lays down tape lines for your booth space they're there for a reason. Don't violate them. Because if you do in the fire marshal sees it, mike get fined. This happens nearly every year because somebody doesn't play by the rules. Is that Mike's fault? No. Is it the vendors fault? Yes. Who do you think Mike's going to take that out on????

Again all you Monday morning quarterbacks that have never run a show just don't have a clue or concept of what it's all about. There's a lot more to this than just cashing checks and taking people's money.

#117 6 years ago

Now do I think Mike could Do a better job? Certainly. He needs to calm down a step and realize that things get done better with honey instead of vinegar. But given mikes condition, this is what we got to deal with. It's not a perfect system but it's where we are. Again, look to the bigger picture. Help pinball

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Mike's job is more complicated than these other shows. The bureaucracy level in Chicago is incredible. Have you ever seen the fire marshal come through pinball Expo? He comes every year. Have I ever seen that at any other showing in the United States? No, never. This is just one example.
    To that point, I've actually seen the fire marshal write Mike a ticket. When Mike lays down tape lines for your booth space they're there for a reason. Don't violate them. Because if you do in the fire marshal sees it, mike get fined. This happens nearly every year because somebody doesn't play by the rules. Is that Mike's fault? No. Is it the vendors fault? Yes. Who do you think Mike's going to take that out on????
    Again all you Monday morning quarterbacks that have never run a show just don't have a clue or concept of what it's all about. There's a lot more to this than just cashing checks and taking people's money.

of course there is. It is work and obviously there is money in it.

That does not mean anyone needs to be a dick while they do it. The show has run for so many years and the 1 main point of feedback is always the same. Some people are incapable of change.

#119 6 years ago

I guess the best way I can put this is, just because Mike is sometimes a dick doesn't mean everybody else needs to stoop to this level too. Mike definitely has some shortcomings. I don't think there's anybody that would argue that, even Mike. But just because Mike can sometimes be a dick doesn't mean others need to be a dick too, and play the boycott card. That's not good for pinball. Heck it's not good for anybody

#120 6 years ago

This level of bitching usually occurs after expo, curious how the show will go considering

#121 6 years ago

Well either way, I am bringing the whole family (Grandma Too!), and they just want to play some games. So whatever is in the free play area, we will truly appreciate it to everyone who brings games.

Now to work on my secret plan of convincing the family to buy a Houdini!

So if you see a group of 7 of us, with a little old white haired lady in tow (really she is like 4'10"), come and say hi. Oh, and she loves Brandy and would drink most of you under the table.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Well either way, I am bringing the whole family (Grandma Too!), and they just want to play some games. So whatever is in the free play area, we will truly appreciate it to everyone who brings games.
    Now to work on my secret plan of convincing the family to buy a Houdini!
    So if you see a group of 7 of us, with a little old white haired lady in tow (really she is like 4'10"), come and say hi. Oh, and she loves Brandy and would drink most of you under the table.

Ha, I bring my whole family, grandma included, too. In fact, I wasn't going this year but my kids begged to go again.

#123 6 years ago

I would still like to know the source of the whole problem with the systems thing. It certainly wasn’t any of the makers websites

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

I would still like to know the source of the whole problem with the systems thing. It certainly wasn’t any of the makers websites

Same here.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

... Don't be self righteous. ...

The extreme irony of this statement can't be completely lost on you Clay. You have to realize that many feel that you'd be one of the most self righteous people in all of pinball.

I've always said the Chicago Pinball Expo is my favorite show in the country. Seeing it steadily decline over the years as every other show in the country grows by leaps and bounds is more than a little disheartening.

As has been said very well by Compy in this thread, there's one reason for that, Mike. It's the same shit, every year, year after year. Mike promises change but every year flips out beyond belief at the very people that are trying to help his cause. People are tired of being treated like shit.

I've told Mike even very recently, I'd love to see and help Expo be the best show in the country. Unfortunately that ship has sailed for many people.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Quoted from fastpinball:

Same here.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Really? There's one source, Mike. Doing what Mike does, attempting to attract flies with vinegar.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#127 6 years ago

I was just pointing back out the source of the problem

#128 6 years ago

I'm only going to be able to attend expo on Thursday evening. Anyone know what admission for that will cost? Mainly want to attend the jjp seminar and look around a bit.

Thx

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I'm only going to be able to attend expo on Thursday evening. Anyone know what admission for that will cost? Mainly want to attend the jjp seminar and look around a bit.
    Thx

Are we still meeting at PBL Friday?

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Go over the website, pinballexpo.com or email them off of there for answers.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I would not want to be Mike during Expo. Every second you have a lot of people clamoring for needs, add in every time he turns around the hotel, police, or fire marshal want to get on his case about something. And who knows what else.

Anyone that sees him there, please consider thanking him for making the 33rd Expo happen.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Wow! Nice.
    The reason Multimorphic and the PROC custom games won't be at Expo is because when you were finished yelling at the owner of the company at the top of your lungs last year, he very professionally told you he wouldn't be back. He's kept his word, as have many others.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Calling him to the floor, love it!!!

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Anyone that sees him there, please consider thanking him for making the 33rd Expo happen.

I thank him every time I drop roughly a grand on admission for my family. If it wasn't for my kids, I wouldn't be doing so this year. In fact, if tpf was more than 2 days, we would be attending that instead. As such, it's not cost effective for me to fly 5 people for the two days tpf runs.

#134 6 years ago

with any hobby as with life, there are plenty of "characters" and "situations" that you find yourself trapped in (and wonder just how the hell it ended up being "this"?!? how you deal with them is up to you

I get that this hobby is a passion for many and sometimes it's hard to separate the emotional from the logic point of view. I also get that for mike (just like many other show presenters) that this show is "his" and he's build it to what it is today. and when things don't go right, he probably gets an earful from the patrons, volunteers and vendors, and as we all know "bad" news travels so much faster and its a lot easier for us to complain than compliment (that's human nature).
    but that's something that as the show owner you have to roll with (and if you can't, then maybe it is time to pass the reins onto someone that can

the old adage "fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind and if I were in the position of many people who have helped out in the past but were berated or [dressed down] in public or felt "wronged", I would have to really consider if that continued abuse was worth the time or grief

to me, this hobby is really one of socialization and being able to get together with people with a common interest that I've made friends with over the years and have a venue of getting together to share stories and events that have happened over the past year (or last time that you saw those people)

like the years before, I'll be the guy having a good time no matter what. and I'll continue to have fun watching all of the people that I share my 120+ proof whiskey with stagger around and slur (you know who you are

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I thank him every time I drop roughly a grand on admission for my family. If it wasn't for my kids, I wouldn't be doing so this year. In fact, if tpf was more than 2 days, we would be attending that instead. As such, it's not cost effective for me to fly 5 people for the two days tpf runs.

TPF is 3 days. Friday - Sunday.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

like the years before, I'll be the guy having a good time no matter what. and I'll continue to have fun watching all of the people that I share my 120+ proof whiskey with stagger around and slur (you know who you are

Ooh, watcha got?

#137 6 years ago

What other boards do people want fixed at the show? I'll have a WPC CPU test fixture with me. Not sure if i should bring any other fixtures.... Ideas???
    thanks
    [email protected] (this is the prefered email address, please no PMs.)

I think I'll be bringing a WPC CPU that had slight battery leakage and the associated replacement chips. It's for my dad's machine, but I just haven't had time to repair it. What kind of cost would be associated with replacing two chips and testing the cpu to make sure it's all good?

Brian

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Ooh, watcha got?

+1

I'm just a guy that takes his pinhead wife on a trip for a weekend of fun. Our first expo was last year and we had a blast. We hope it will be fun and informative this year too. I sympathize with all of the vendors and volunteers and hope it goes better for you this year. Because of all this bad blood and boycotting, we guess that it will be not as great from a attendee point of view, so we will take in the Pinball Life shindig too this year. I just want to say thanks to all who put forth the effort (and maybe anxiety) of participating in the show for people like us. We love to attend these kinds of shows. We do tend to buy a lot of stuff once we see it first hand. Show deals push us over the edge to make a purchase.

[Just thought a more positive post was due in this thread]

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from conester:

What kind of cost would be associated with replacing two chips and testing the cpu to make sure it's all good?

Email him to be sure he sees it. [email protected]

There is a chance there is more damage there tan you can see. So it might be hard to estimate cost.

#140 6 years ago

I feel like it is only fair for me to say that Mike had been very kind and accommodating to FAST and everyone in our crew. I am very disappointed to hear that others in the indie pinball/pinball maker scene have not had the same experience. Such a great inconsistency in experiences tells me that Expo could benefit greatly from some reorganization. Dave and I have been involved in the planning and execution of the NW Pinball Show to varying degrees over the years, so I know first hand how intense and stressful the whole process can be. One of the greatest things about our NW Pinball Show is leadership and support we have in place. This ensures that should any one member of the team get stressed out and overwhelmed, there is someone not far to jump in and help diffuse the situation before anything spins out of control. Trust me, there have been some extremely tense moments that I am impressed were sorted out in real time, on our show floor and folks actually avoided killing each other and were able to work together the following year.

For the future of the Pinball Expo and it’s traditions, I would encourage Mike to consider a not-for-profit model similar to our NW Pinball Show. This would encourage others to be involved in leadership, create new ways for the show to be involved in the pinball community and mark the beginning of a new era for Pinball Expo.

Times have changed. Vendors, exhibitors and attendees have more shows than ever to consider in where they spend their time and money. I would encourage Mike to consider all these things in how he helps shape the future of Chicago’s Pinball Expo.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from bflagg:

TPF is 3 days. Friday - Sunday.

You're correct. We always leave early sunday from shows so I don't factor that day in for me personally. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Just for the record Clay, you don't know what goes on with other shows, as that is kept behind the scenes. Both I and members of our volunteer staff work with the fire marshal every year, multiple days, at MGC.

Most people don't know that, because people showing up to enjoy themselves at the MGC don't need to know the negotiations that went on with the fire department (or whomever) to have a good time. In fact, that will make their visit suck more.

So, I make sure they don't know about it, or if they do its no problem. It requires a ton of coordination.

To be clear, this isn't to say there isn't a lot of stuff going on that Mike has to deal with, and I'm not disparaging him at all, but let's not pretend that there are things that are crazy different.

I love Expo and hope to attend.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Ooh, watcha got?

look for me and you'll find out

I'll be the guy selling the run-dmd clocks (or the loudmouth sarcastic @sshat keeping scores @ trent's tourney area

#144 6 years ago

I'm going to be attending for the third year in a row. Have had a good time the last two years. Excited for the reveal of JJP #4 on Thursday, then I'll be taking my five year old son to his first Expo ever on Saturday!

I go for the pinball. Couldn't care less about all the drama.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Mike's job is more complicated than these other shows.

Yeah, not only does he need to handle the logistics of running the show, he also has to find new volunteers every year after ruining his relationships with the people from the previous year.

Seriously, though, I suspect at this point the Texas show is both bigger and more complicated than Expo, especially this year with the venue change. Yet I never hear anything bad about the organizers of that show, or actually any other show including the VFW, and we both know you're a bit gruff at times. So when even a known grump can pull off a show without alienating a single person, you have to wonder what the real problem is.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I suspect at this point the Texas show is both bigger and more complicated than Expo, especially this year with the venue change

did TPF change venues?

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

did TPF change venues?

Sorry, I was thinking of the Midwest show.

#148 6 years ago

Nevermind. Not even worth discussing.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I would not want to be Mike during Expo. Every second you have a lot of people clamoring for needs, add in every time he turns around the hotel, police, or fire marshal want to get on his case about something. And who knows what else.

I'm sorry, I know I will come off as an ass for this observation but the above quote is complete and utter bullshit to me.

Mike is NOT a victim in this. Expo is a for-profit exercise that he exerts the level of control of his choosing. It wasn't as if he drew the short straw and had be the person responsible for Expo. 33 years into an exercise, if a person hasn't learned how to smooth out the headaches that is on the person. You know why the fire marshal visits year? Because it's his job. I've seen the Chicago fire marshal visit nearly every convention I've ever attended (professional medical conventions or sales conventions). It's part of the cost of doing business. There are literally dozens of options in Chicago to host an event of this size. If this doesn't work as well, choose another. My suspicion why it hasn't/isn't changed is that there is a financial incentive for Mike not to. If that is the case, that's his choice. The money is worth the additional headaches to him.

And I'm not thanking Mike for making the 33rd Expo happen. My thanks is payment to enter. This isn't some kid's birthday party. Trust me, if he stopped doing Expo there would be someone filling the vacuum almost instantly.

#150 6 years ago

I'm not skipping expo this year because of Mike, never personally dealt with him (but I hear a story from nearly every person in the hobby I talk to). I'm skipping because it's officially hit a low point.

Went last year, played dialed in.. LOOKED at batman 66 and houdini, played some homebrew, maybe a few games I haven't yet in the hall, bought a t-shirt, went home after a couple hours.

What's there this year? JJP4 title I'm not excited about, supposedly nothing from Stern, probably next to nothing in homebrew (the thing I get most excited for), Spooky is going to be at PBL. I'm not a tournament player, and I'm not paying $60 for seminars. Need money to pay people to do presentations, embed that price into the daily ticket like other shows to spread it out. I don't need pinball parts, and if I do I go to pinball life. If they don't have it, I make an order online. Shipping cost is the least of my worries.

Not discounting the massive amount of work to put on any show, especially this one. Just feel like the excitement is gone.

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2017-updates/page/3?hl=jlebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.