2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 611 posts
  • 198 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mikepin
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 72 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4872 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20171012_182441 (resized).jpg
    20171015_175605-1 (2) (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    0DAEE354-8839-4E8F-9A6A-F2AFF1A189DA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20171014_164834 (resized).jpg
    20171014_120237 (resized).jpg
    poochie_old01 (resized).jpg
    20171013_214054 (resized).jpg
    CannedHeatStorage_CopyrightYourFamilyArkLLC (resized).jpg
    20171013_101426 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0913 (resized).JPG
    20171013_141539 (resized).jpg
    20171013_141534 (resized).jpg

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
    #501 2 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

Best photo of the night....whats the caption

"My cellphone isn't working with this pin either!"

#502 2 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Also the tricked out twilight zone in the free play area was amazing. Best one i have ever played. Thanks to whomever brought it.

Thank you. any time you want to play it drop me a PM. im not to far from you in waukesha

#503 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Simple reach under the game and turn it off.

Or trace line cord and briefly unplug. I do it at shows as required.

#504 2 years ago

fixed for the DBag to clarify this was a reply to the other DBag...

And here I thought you were being nice for once and someone had actually brought a cardboard box and tried to punk peopleby making them think there was a NIB TNA in it.

Sad to see it is your same old hack... and you wonder why people specifically won't sell games to you when you are hunting for them. Not only do you have no manners, you are hurting yourself in this hobby. Sad, because guys like you could probably use a few friends and honestly would have more fun if you made a few and then played some pinball with them.

#505 2 years ago

The twilight zone, Batman 66, Tricked out world cup soccer in the vendor hall, 2 Monster bashes in the free play room, bunch of Aerosmith Premiums. There were fantastic games to play this year. Last year was all hobbit and WOZ (which are great but the variety was cool).
    I love World Cup Soccer. I would have mortgaged the house if that beautiful copy was available.
    I also got to play GOT Premium. The upper playfield makes it a WAY better game. boo on STERN for making their versions so different.
    2nd year at Expo and really owning pinball machines. I had a great time. I wish I had been able to get some time on the JJP POTC. I love the current Pirates but this one looks next level.
    I appreciate everyone that brings their games and lets us jam them. I can't compare to other tournaments but having this 25 minutes from home and 10 minutes from my work rocks. Thanks for all the effort!

poochie_old01 (resized).jpg

#506 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Sad to see it is your same old hack... and you wonder why people specifically won't sell games to you when you are hunting for them. Not only do you have no manners, you are hurting yourself in this hobby. Sad, because guys like you could probably use a few friends and honestly would have more fun if you made a few and then played some pinball with them

You do realize you're replying to yourself with these statements.. mmmm delicious irony LOL

#507 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

You do realize you're replying to yourself with these statements.. mmmm delicious irony LOL

yeah, quote of a quote system does not work well on pinside...

#508 2 years ago

Nothing beats winding up Meteor until it screams like a banshee over the PA system.

#509 2 years ago

First time going to the Expo, the nice lady at the registration desk just told me to go down to the door on the right and get my wrist band and gave zero explanation beyond that. I thought the vendor hall was the "free play" place and spent like 5-6 hours there playing pins then left. Feel like an idiot and pretty bummed now...I guess there's always next year.

#510 2 years ago

I also bought two $30 one day tickets when I got there Saturday around noon, and I was told to keep the second ticket as I was leaving and returning later with the wife. When I got back there around 7pm with her the wristband guy was different and told me that the ticket I had wasn't the tickets they were selling and acted like I was trying to counterfeit my way into the hall, so that was also weird. He showed me a different style of ticket and said "this is the only one we've sold here at all", despite me buying the one I had from the woman at the registration desk 6 hours before that.

#511 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

and you wonder why people specifically won't sell games to you when you are hunting for them.

Strange. Never had a problem finding a game I've wanted. But you keep believing that, big guy!

#512 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I had a different solution but yours is better

#513 2 years ago

Was there a tournament at expo? I have looked for results/ a stream an have come up empty.

#514 2 years ago
    Quoted from DrScoops:

Was there a tournament at expo? I have looked for results/ a stream an have come up empty.

No stream. Elwin, z Sharpe, and J replogle were the top three.

#515 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Yep been there done that...It was several years ago at another show, I had AFM there. A good friend came up to check out the show and spend the day playin' pinball with hubby and I. So we went in and he wanted to play AFM...so we get in line behind a guy playin', he finishes his 2 games...and immediately fires up another game without even turning around to see that we were waiting. so we waited till he finished that game and started another. At this point hubby steps up and says hey we are waiting to play, guy turns gets in his face and says I paid my money to get in I can play however long I want...hubby leans down and turns the game off and says well not on this one...guy starts to shove hubby and starts complaining because he turned the game off...Hubby says well this is my game I own it and you are done...I thought the guy was actually going to start a fight with hubby...but I think he was beginning to understand that if he threw a punch he was going down... Hubby told him that this was how it was going to go down if he wanted to play he could BUTTT he was going to play WITH hubby and our friend...They ended up shaking hands and playing a few games and had a good time...
    Turned out he had not really ever been at a show like this and didn't know how it should work...

Quoted from DrScoops:

Keith won Zach 2nd...Didn't see the rest of the final 4...
    Phoebe

#516 2 years ago

Do any shows post etiquette signs anywhere? Just something simple.

"One player games unless playing with others. Always check to see if someone is waiting after you're finished. "

#517 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

No stream. Elwin, z Sharpe, and J replogle were the top three.

Wow that would have been great to watch. I wish I had the money/time/skill set/ connections to make tournament broadcasts a regular thing. Just think pinball tourney finals broadcast once or twice a month with quality commentary (Bowen, Bowden, Shivers, Teolis, Jack Danger, Nick and Kevin, etc etc.) there is a lot of potential broadcast talent in the hobby right now. And great players with interesting backgrounds.

#518 2 years ago
    Quoted from DrScoops:

Wow that would have been great to watch. I wish I had the money/time/skill set/ connections to make tournament broadcasts a regular thing. Just think pinball tourney finals broadcast once or twice a month with quality commentary (Bowen, Bowden, Shivers, Teolis, Jack Danger, Nick and Kevin, etc etc.) there is a lot of potential broadcast talent in the hobby right now. And great players with interesting backgrounds.

Agreed. I'm hoping the stern circuit series does something about this. I would've loved to see this too.

#519 2 years ago
    Quoted from DrScoops:

http://tinyurl.com/flipout-2017-A

Link to bracket above

#520 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Yikes! Talk about your mob mentality around these parts.
    Say something positive about TNA/Spooky, you'll fit in just fine.
    Be the least bit critical of TNA/Spooky, watch out for the torches and pitchforks!

Sounds like the history of Predator, and Heighway on here.

member?

images (resized).jpg

#521 2 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Sounds like the history of Predator, and Heighway on here.
    member?

It was a rude jab, hardly least bit critical.

#522 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Yikes! Talk about your mob mentality around these parts.
    Say something positive about TNA/Spooky, you'll fit in just fine.
    Be the least bit critical of TNA/Spooky, watch out for the torches and pitchforks!

No it's the way you said it.

#523 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Do any shows post etiquette signs anywhere? Just something simple.
    "One player games unless playing with others. Always check to see if someone is waiting after you're finished. "

Yes, but it's not that simple. While we all know how to start one game a new player walking up has no idea. I was showing someone a game recently and he kept starting four players without intending to.

It's a difficulty of pins being on freeplay.

The dudes sharing four player games was obviously different though, they knew.

Quoted from abagwell:

I guess there's always next year.

There are also other shows not too far away that you may want to check out between now and then...

#524 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yes, but it's not that simple. While we all know how to start one game a new player walking up has no idea.

That's what the signs are for. To give them an idea. They can also get a flyer with that same info on it when they get their wristband. Registration people can be told to verbally confirm the two simple rules as well. Most important being the make sure no one is waiting. Accidentally playing a multiplayer game is understandable.

#525 2 years ago

Hope to see everyone at Expo 2018!!!!

#526 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Hope to see everyone at Expo 2018!!!!

Did I see you? Did you see me?!

#527 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That's what the signs are for. To give them an idea. They can also get a flyer with that same info on it when they get their wristband. Registration people can be told to verbally confirm the two simple rules as well. Most important being the make sure no one is waiting. Accidentally playing a multiplayer game is understandable.

Again, this sounds simple, but it really isn't simple.

People really don't read signs. It is actually shocking just how much people can tune out in the way of signs. So putting up signs, on top of it costing some money especially if you make nice signs, are mostly just ignored.

Flyers are really good for getting thrown out, or getting tucked in your pocket to check out after the show is over. And again, even cheap quarter page flyers in quantity cost a chunk of change to run, again for something that is mostly just ignored.

Having people at registration verbally confirming the rules is great if you are a smaller show or if you have a ton of ticket takers, but let's say that Expo had 500 people on Saturday showing up, the majority of those are all showing up near the same time, verbally confirming each of the people takes a lot of time, or more volunteers, and even if you do this, how do you ensure that the people you are confirming have any idea what you're talking about? The vast majority of the people that we're talking about here are not the ones at issue, it's only a select few anyway - if they verbally confirm they won't do it but then don't know what they are saying yes to, what then?

And then, what happens anyway? A bunch of people walk around to make sure people aren't starting two player games, or are always checking for people behind them, or are not chimp flipping, or whatever you want to check for, and... Not just is this nearly impossible to actually police, what do you do if you catch someone screwing up?

I was at a fast food joint a couple weeks ago and I decided to go to the bathroom. I started walking toward it and as I neared, the door opened and someone walked out. I walked in and started closing the door. A dude who was about 15 feet away from the door started berating me and saying what the hell was I doing skipping the line, but I had absolutely no idea that I was or that there even was a line at all. He was an absolute ass, and if he could have kicked me out for my unknowing skip, he most definitely would have, but when someone is that far away and not acting like they are in line at all, how do you know? (And, for the record, I apologized and let the dude have the bathroom in the above case, although he kept whining.)

There are certain things that I feel work the best, but that has to do with other people being willing to say to someone hey, can I play? I have never done that to someone who then was an ass about it. If they didn't know, now they do. If not, as they press play again, you can just kindly say hey, I'm waiting here to play with my friends (if there are a bunch of you) and hop in. I find this works the best in all situations, as it is extremely rare that people who are doing this sort of thing realize what it is that is going on.

#528 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

And then, what happens anyway? A bunch of people walk around to make sure people aren't starting two player games, or are always checking for people behind them, or are not chimp flipping, or whatever you want to check for, and... Not just is this nearly impossible to actually police, what do you do if you catch someone screwing up?

When I volunteer at the arcade we tell every visitor as we wristband them:
    "if you have a problem with a machine let me know and I'll take care of it"
    "if you can't get on a machine because of a ball hog, let me know and I'll take care of it"
    We also patrol the floor for trash, unruly guests and abandoned games. It's a simple system that works.

#529 2 years ago

I don't know about Expo but possibly before the doors open and a lot of people are waiting to get in make an announcement? Is there a PA system where courtesy could be announced periodically? PAGG had Dont be a ball hog cutouts on the glass above the lock bar of a lot of games two years ago.

#530 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

When I volunteer at the arcade we tell every visitor as we wristband them:
    "if you have a problem with a machine let me know and I'll take care of it"
    "if you can't get on a machine because of a ball hog, let me know and I'll take care of it"
    We also patrol the floor for trash, unruly guests and abandoned games. It's a simple system that works.

My experience of it not being so simple comes from a lot of different experiences. If anyone thinks that you have a perfect system, that's great and I hope it is. I, through running shows, arcades, and amusement parks, have found absolutely nothing that works perfectly, especially for the challenges described.

#531 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

My experience of it not being so simple comes from a lot of different experiences. If anyone thinks that you have a perfect system, that's great and I hope it is. I, through running shows, arcades, and amusement parks, have found absolutely nothing that works perfectly, especially for the challenges described.

I have no experience in running a show, that's your gig.
    My point is that the public feels better with gameroom attendant and if the free play area doesn't have one then the risk of creating a wild west atmosphere grows.

#532 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

My point is that the public feels better with gameroom attendant and if the free play area doesn't have one then the risk of creating a wild west atmosphere grows.

Oh, I'm not saying have no attendant or anything like that, but it really comes down to changing specific individual behavior can be extremely difficult without consistent one-on-one interaction, which simply isn't possible in the scenarios that shows have to deal with. Or for that matter, nearly any business.

It's how do you reach the tipping point where most people's behavior is what you figure is the acceptable level, and getting to that point is a lot more difficult than just putting up a sign or something like that.

#533 2 years ago

You could have a few security personnel walking around as well. I didn't see any security at expo this year. They may have been there and I just missed them.

#534 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

The experience vdojaq had with the 2 "jerkos" swapping between 4 player games wasn't even in the free-play area... it was in the vendor room. Not sure a gameroom attendant would even be possible in this situation (albeit vendor monitoring might help a bit).

My son and I waited patiently to play Houdini in one line, but the machine broke, so we had to switch to another line. When it was our turn (like 15 minutes after the couple in front of us finished there 2 player game), we offered 2 guys behind us to join us in a 4 player game and wouldn't you know that halfway through the 4 of us playing, one of the habitrails broke off it's weld and that pin was out of commission also. The game was setup way too easy which made for very long wait times.

#535 2 years ago

That's my point. The booth vendor should have been there to take care of the 2 "jerkos" for vdojag. I commend him for his restraint in front of his wife, but the show staff should have provided a quick fix to this situation.

#536 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

You could have a few security personnel walking around as well. I didn't see any security at expo this year. They may have been there and I just missed them.

Now, I don't know, because sadly, I didn't make it to Expo since my only free time this year lined up perfectly with the time that Expo wasn't open at all, so I ran down and popped in at Pinball Life for a bit and then had to head back up.

But was there not security at the entry doors for Expo? If this was a huge thing, they could have been got.

Expo is SO LONG and open SO MANY HOURS that hiring a few roaming security guards for the event becomes quickly cost prohibitive.

As for why the vendor didn't say anything, they may not have been there at the time.

Was something said to them is my big question? Because if there was, and there was 10 people waiting or something like that, I can't imagine they just sat there playing out their games. And if they were allowed to do so, that's when you go speak to someone. No show can properly police every game at every minute.

#537 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Now, I don't know, because sadly, I didn't make it to Expo since my only free time this year lined up perfectly with the time that Expo wasn't open at all, so I ran down and popped in at Pinball Life for a bit and then had to head back up.
    But was there not security at the entry doors for Expo? If this was a huge thing, they could have been got.
    Expo is SO LONG and open SO MANY HOURS that hiring a few roaming security guards for the event becomes quickly cost prohibitive.
    As for why the vendor didn't say anything, they may not have been there at the time.
    Was something said to them is my big question? Because if there was, and there was 10 people waiting or something like that, I can't imagine they just sat there playing out their games. And if they were allowed to do so, that's when you go speak to someone. No show can properly police every game at every minute.

The wristband door checkers were there and they had a guy patrolling on a red scooter

#538 2 years ago

Gotta ask, did Mike melt down on anyone this year?

#539 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

It's one thing to say you don't like a game because ___.

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

everyones different but use some tact in expressing your displeasure. That's all we're saying.

Quoted from goatdan:

If you had constructive criticism, no one would call you on it.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Critical: expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature, music, or art

just checking. is everybody really OK with this?

#540 2 years ago

Packed car on the way home with GZ, $1500 in PBL stuff, color dmds, mantis scoops, a backglass, tools, suitcase, cooler, etc....

20171015_175605-1 (2) (resized).jpg

#541 2 years ago

Your godzilla played great! Thx for bringing it!!!

ColorDMD also looked tits!!!!

#542 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

That's my point. The booth vendor should have been there to take care of the 2 "jerkos" for vdojag. I commend him for his restraint in front of his wife, but the show staff should have provided a quick fix to this situation.

vdojag....been called worse! vdojaq stands for Video Jack(back when I was collecting video arcades in the 90's). Video Jag...oh boy, many interpretations there!

I think everyone manning the booth was at the JJP reveal. I disagree here, it is not Expo's/Mike's job to police games in the vendor area. In the freeplay room, sure, have some staff to give patrons a courtesy reminder/warning if they are hogging games.

Even better would be a flyer that could be handed out with every ticket sold with courtesy guidelines of the freeplay games. Just because an entry fee is paid it doesn't give someone the leeway to hog a machine. Courtesy guidelines could be a condition of the entry fee.

#543 2 years ago

First time at Expo for me and I had a blast! Was there Wednesday night through Sunday helping Chris with the Pinball Plating booth. It was good to put some faces with names. Great meeting you guys! I loved the parts selections in the vendor hall also. Nabbed several parts I needed for my Indiana Jones project at the show and should have more arriving in the mail soon!

The pinball selection in the free play room was pretty good. Lots of A-list titles and the lines were slim to none. I got to play the Big Lebowski and I see the draw to it now. I played it in TX and that example played like crap! This one for sure changed my opinion on it.

All in all it was a good trip and one I surely won’t forget especially after breaking down on the way there and on the way back. Two diesel fuel baths for me! Looking forward to next year!

#544 2 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Even better would be a flyer that could be handed out with every ticket sold with courtesy guidelines of the freeplay games. Just because an entry fee is paid it doesn't give someone the leeway to hog a machine. Courtesy guidelines could be a condition of the entry fee.

big sign above registration with three of four key bullets, so that while folks are standing in line, hopefully the read it. The registration folks can ask them to read it while they make change. No extra printing and at least there is a chance they see it. Another large sign by door to game room as well. Again, when security is putting on the wrist band, tell them to read it. I suggest some smaller flyers could be made and those that want to be gameroom police can just hand it to someone who is hogging a machine as a non confrontational way to say "dude, maybe you don't know but . . . " Or have those key bullets printed on paper the size of pricing cards and put that int he place of pricing cards on some of the machines, don't need to print 2000, just 125 or so. That same card could have a spot for the contact info of the owner and any 'for sale' info.

Expo does need some better signage. There should be a sign that near the 'vendor hall' that pointing down the hall and says 'Free Game Room', I've heard more that one person says they did not realize there was a second room. There is also no sign pointing you in the direction of Seminar Room (at least that I saw). In addition, while I heard announcements for JJP and Stern presentations, I did not hear that for others. That should happen for all seminars, very easy to lose track of time and miss a seminar you wanted to see. The variety of seminars and the personalities involved is one of the those things that Expo has that many shows don't. Need to get the most out of it.

#545 2 years ago

I've seen photos of large very verbose etiquette signs posted at other shows, but you have to fall into the "less is more" philosophy if you want people to actually follow any rules you have.

People don't read. I'd boil down to 1 or 2 of the most important bullet points, and perhaps an audible one as wrist bands go on.

#546 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

People don't read. I'd boil down to 1 or 2 of the most important bullet points, and perhaps an audible one as wrist bands go on.

My point exactly:

STOP!!

1. When finished with a game, look behind you to see if others are waiting to play.

2. Have fun!!

Have stand up signs at either side of each isle at each end of the isle. Have them on the doors to go into the event, and pass them out on cheap card stock when people buy their wristbands, and tell them this as you put the wrist band on them.

#547 2 years ago

And I'm pretty sure (from the experience at the Cleveland show) that a good punch in the face is not the correct solution when you confront the said ball hog and he repeatedly continues to talk shit. Although I am definitely sure that individual will remember the time he was called out for continuous 4 player games while people were waiting.

#548 2 years ago

Maybe instead of punching them, have security escort them out and remove their wristband. Feel free to pay at the front for another.

#549 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

At this point hubby steps up and says hey we are waiting to play, guy turns gets in his face and says I paid my money to get in I can play however long I want...hubby leans down and turns the game off and says well not on this one...guy starts to shove hubby and starts complaining because he turned the game off...

I usually don't say anything to anyone hogging a machine for the exact scenario that Phoebe points out. I don't need to get into a fight by pointing out that you are a douche--it's just not worth it. The only thing that gets accomplished is that I get my ass kicked, but you are still a douche.

Quoted from rosh:

Or have those key bullets printed on paper the size of pricing cards and put that int he place of pricing cards on some of the machines

I think I may try this at the next show I bring a game to.

#550 2 years ago

In case any one blew thru the I-pass tolls like me, you can go to illinoistollway.com and pay within 7 days from the first violation. However, according to the website they can't search by vehicle plate for at least two weeks so your best bet is to use the trip calculator and let the site compute the tolls.

It's a horrible interface, but at least you'll avoid the fines.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 24.50
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 19.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 30.00
    Pinball Machine
    Habos Arcade
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 36.99
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside