Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 611 posts
  • 198 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mikepin
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20171012_182441 (resized).jpg
    20171015_175605-1 (2) (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    0DAEE354-8839-4E8F-9A6A-F2AFF1A189DA (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20171014_164834 (resized).jpg
    20171014_120237 (resized).jpg
    poochie_old01 (resized).jpg
    20171013_214054 (resized).jpg
    CannedHeatStorage_CopyrightYourFamilyArkLLC (resized).jpg
    20171013_101426 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0913 (resized).JPG
    20171013_141539 (resized).jpg
    20171013_141534 (resized).jpg

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.
    #451 6 years ago

Enjoyed the show today. Came down for awhile and I had a good time.

#452 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

You missed a few more machines which were turned on and looked nice but had 0 credits and no keys or credit button. I turned those off when I found them but they kept popping back on but not getting fixed.

That's sad, since there's numerous workarounds, including a physical credit button. One arcade I went to had credit buttons that were paper thin, and worked every time, no drilling needed.

...or set the replay score set low. I felt like a winner at MGC with the replay knocker hitting.

...or have someone with a key walk by every x minutes, and flick some credits on.

*sigh*

#453 6 years ago

I had a great time Thursday and Friday. Thanks to all who brought games from the free play area to vendors and companies that make Pinballs, all the vendors, expo staff, ExpoBrawl staff. No reason for anyone to complain. It was my 8th or 9th Expo and I had just as good of a time as my first.

#454 6 years ago

Went to Expo for about 7 hours yesterday. Had a great time. I think the vendor hall overall was comparable last year but notably missing were some of the homebrew games (Buffy, Doom, etc.) and any representation by Spooky. Houdini looked awesome, had brief discussions with Josh and John and they couldn't have been nicer. New PotC was nice, lines between it and Houdini were the longest while I was there, but lots of decent games to play in the vendor area.

Free play seemed a little more empty than from last year, but still a lot of good games to choose from (at least 2 Monster Bash, Tron, very nice Creature), so wasn't a big drop.

Biggest thing for me, other than getting to play Houdini (badly, sadly), was finally able to play TBL. I know a lot of people get bashed on here for pre-ordering, but seriously, after playing it (and having it work until my buddy shot a ball off the left ramp and unretrievable into a non-playable area, and also knowing that this was likely an older version and not built by the new vendor), I understand why people were so psyched about it. I had a blast playing it, and if I didn't know the history, etc., I would be tempted to buy it, and I'm not even a huge fan of the theme.

All in all, I'm glad this remains a yearly option for me to visit and try out a lot of games that may not generally be available to play, and I appreciate all the hard work that is involved for everyone who is a part of the process, from those who run it to those who bring their games and let us try them out for free. No negatives for me, and hopefully I'll be able to make it again next year!

#455 6 years ago

Played many games of JJP-Potc, Total AN., Big L, and Houdini. Have to say they all were very fun to play.

Plenty of vendors to purchase parts and tools from. Even a few to buy and take home nib games to my surprise.

For being a new manufacturer CCG is hitting it out of the park with the remakes of Mm and Afm which were present for play as well. Hope to soon be able to play the rumored remake #3 of MB.

Best part of the show though are the people in attendance. Found everyone to be friendly and respectful in regards to not hogging games, asking next in line to join in on a game, even helping each other out while playing if asked to.

Overall I do have to say this years expo has been the best one I've attended in years. Mad props to the organizers, volunteers, vendors, and those that brought games for the free play room.

#456 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Played many games of JJP-Potc, Total AN., Big L, and Houdini.
    Best part of the show though are the people in attendance. Found everyone to be friendly and respectful in regards to not hogging games, asking next in line to join in on a game, even helping each other out while playing if asked to.

Yes - A lady Pirate ahead of myself and my son had us join in for a 3 player game on JJP - Potc. She mopped up on us !

#457 6 years ago

Had a great time today at Expo!

Thanks to everyone who runs the show, but even more importantly, THANK YOU to everyone who brings games for the free play area.

Saw a bunch of old friends, like Dan Spolar who runs Project Pinball, John Borg who is not only a great designer but a great guy and great friend, and I even met an ex-NBA player in Todd MacCulloch who was a really nice guy and fun to talk pinball with between turns on Star Wars.

Played a bunch of great games, some for the first time. Found myself having a blast playing pins I wouldn't have thought I'd like, such as Last Action Hero, Demolition Man, and Family Guy. And I finally got to play a Tron! Tried Star Wars only one time, because I couldn't stop from playing a pin I keep wanting not to like: Aerosmith! I really don't want another rock band pin, but I don't think I'm going to be able to stop myself from buying one. It's just so damn fun.

Again, thank you to everyone involved with Expo! Leaving the kids at home allowed my wife and I to stay most of the day and got us talking of actually staying overnight next year. The countdown to 2018 begins...

Edit: Actually the countdown to 11/1 begins. Heading back to Stern after my son's next clinic visit/checkup to see the Borg in its natural habitat!

#458 6 years ago

Well its 8:00 and some of the vendors are already packing up. Attendance seems way low. In the freeplay hall its probably 2 ratio of pins to players. Just seems rather lackluster this year.

#460 6 years ago

I had a great time, people and vendors were so nice it was refreshing. Got to meet some people and thank them ( LTG ) and chat with Scott Danesi and finally play T.N.A. . There might have been a few vendors missing but with TBL, Houdini, and JJPs lineup i was very Happy. Next year I wanna do more days for sure

#461 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

That pen dealer in the dealer hall tho. Really? Pens?

I am going to set a booth next year and sell the Slap-Chop and OxyClean.

#462 6 years ago

Never mind.

#463 6 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

Best photo of the night....whats the caption

"You can't fix stupid"

#464 6 years ago

Just got home from expo... many thanks to all who contribute to the fact we even have a show, it’s appreciated! My thoughts...yes attendance was down. Off the top of my head about 30pct. Based on what and when I saw. There were less games to play but they were overall better. Unfortunately not all were on, and some of those that were couldn’t be coined up. Cmon folks, they don’t do any good sitting there, now if they broke while there, I get it. But sometimes one wonders if they’re there just to get a free wristband. The vendor hall was a bit lighter, but more machines in there. There were some screaming deals to be had on stuff tho! I saved more in there on things I needed than I paid to get in. Definitely worth the trip! I didn’t do the tourneys, so can’t comment on that. Saw billy Mitchell and Walter day there, for those who know them. Final take-away... always a blast, worth the 300 mi drive, made some great memories. I am concerned the direction the show is going though. I won’t say it’s going down, it’s just parallel. Where other shows are growing. Concerns me, because I love it. On a side note....saw many more ladies in attendance this year, a nice change in demographics. Best way to get more new games is to grow the base, and quickest way to do that is get the women interested!

0DAEE354-8839-4E8F-9A6A-F2AFF1A189DA (resized).jpeg0DAEE354-8839-4E8F-9A6A-F2AFF1A189DA (resized).jpeg

#465 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Unfortunately not all were on, and some of those that were couldn’t be coined up. Cmon folks, they don’t do any good sitting there, now if they broke while there, I get it. But sometimes one wonders if they’re there just to get a free wristband.

Yep total BS move by the dude that brought 5 machines to the back row of Free Play and left them wrapped and strapped for 2 days so he could get wristbands. It was a blatant slap in the face to everyone who made the effort to keep their games running throughout the show.

#466 6 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Yep total BS move by the dude that brought 5 machines to the back row of Free Play and left them wrapped and strapped for 2 days so he could get wristbands. It was a blatant slap in the face to everyone who made the effort to keep their games running throughout the show.

That's unfortunate, and classless. I know this has been a problem at other shows.

#467 6 years ago
    Quoted from knobstone:

That's unfortunate, and classless. I know this has been a problem at other shows.

wait people brought games to get a free wristband and didn't let others play them. That's crazy.

#468 6 years ago

Apollo 13 was turned on for like 30 seconds.

I really wanted to play that one.

Next year I'm going to bring an empty refrigerator box and paint "Total Nuclear Annihilation" on it. Oh, wait. Someone already did that.

#469 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Oh, wait. Someone already did that.

pics please. That is funny

#470 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

pics please. That is funny

It was in the back of the vendor hall. Lots of people waiting to play it, for some odd reason.

#471 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Next year I'm going to bring an empty refrigerator box and paint "Total Nuclear Annihilation" on it. Oh, wait. Someone already did that.

Awe, that's not nice. Why so mean this morning?

#472 6 years ago

Had a great time at expo yesterday talking with all of you. Thank you for coming out and playing TNA. Also, hats off to Eric! POTC looks amazing and I think he did an amazing job with it.
    --Scott

#473 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Awe, that's not nice. Why so mean this morning?

Just my opinion. I truly don't see the big deal with that game. Compared to other games like Houdini and the new Pirates game it's, well, another Spooky machine.

#474 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Just my opinion. I truly don't see the big deal with that game. Compared to other games like Houdini and the new Pirates game it's, well, another Spooky machine.

All good. I understand if you do not like it, but why insult something I have worked so hard on like that? You should have stopped back there and talked with me about the game. I love talking to people about it and what I was going for with the game.

#475 6 years ago

Tact: "The ability to step on a man's toes, without messing up the shine on his shoes."

- Harry Truman

#476 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Wow that's harsh. It's one thing to say you don't like a game because ____.. But to imply TNA has no merit I'm guessing because it has no ramps then you clearly haven't played it.

Quoted from dirtbag66:

I'd invite you to play mine, but not with that shitty attitude.

#477 6 years ago

I spent two days straight playing TNA. It's pretty fun for an empty box.

Maybe he doesn't have any friends to play with?

#478 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe he doesn't have any friends to play with?

#479 6 years ago

Those who can't do, criticize

#480 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

Well its 8:00 and some of the vendors are already packing up. Attendance seems way low. In the freeplay hall its probably 2 ratio of pins to players. Just seems rather lackluster this year.

Keep in mind there are hundreds of attendees and some vendor staff attending the banquet during this time. Only a few years ago, the free play room and vendor hall was closed from 5 pm to 11pm on Saturday for the banquet.

Mike heard the cries from attendees and now keeps everything open. Some vendors will close their booths as they want to attend the banquet.

The less crowded free play room is a win for those that would rather play pinball than eat.

#481 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Damn. I think a comment of "the games not really for me" is acceptable but comparing it to an empty refrigerator box is hostile and a dick move with all the hard work both Spooky & Scott have put into this. Plenty of people enjoy it and it's awesome that it's being built for those people who would like to own one. Though I haven't gotten an opportunity to play it yet I am very interested. Maybe it won't be my thing once I get a chance to play but no reason to tear down those involved.

In the end it's just a pinball machine it's not like it fucked your Mom take it easy.

#482 6 years ago

Yikes! Talk about your mob mentality around these parts.

Say something positive about TNA/Spooky, you'll fit in just fine.

Be the least bit critical of TNA/Spooky, watch out for the torches and pitchforks!

#483 6 years ago

See post 475. It's ok to dislike a game, everyones different but use some tact in expressing your displeasure. That's all we're saying.

Quoted from dirtbag66:

Be the least bit critical of TNA/Spooky, watch out for the torches and pitchforks!

#484 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

You weren't the "least bit critical", you did a total dick move. If you had constructive criticism, no one would call you on it.

For my part, based on what I know about me as a player, I would like TNA far more than POTC. I don't tend to like super deep games because of how I like to strategize about them, and if it's too deep I can't follow my options. TNA, which is less deep but more straight forward, is exactly the type of game that I like. Having said that, POTC looks awesome for the type of game that it is.

See, that wasn't so hard, and I doubt anyone would bash me for that. I definitely want both games to succeed.

#485 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Was there any criticism or was it just name calling?

We get it, you don't like having fun.

#486 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Why don't you talk to scott directly instead of skulking around these shows only to get back home and start trolling?

#487 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Critical: expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature, music, or art

I don't see any criticism in your post. If you were a movie critic, it would sound like this "Well this wasn't filmed, they basically took a roll of empty film, set it on fire and released it into the theater. I think next year I'll take a piss on a roll of film and bring it to the cannes film festival".

In case you didn't realize, Scott "notrashcougar" is the one who spent many hours designing, coding, and creating music from scratch. I wonder if you'd make the same comment to him in person.

#488 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

And lastly to the jerkos playing 4 player games by themselves and swapping between WOZ & Dialed In while my wife and I were patiently waiting for nexts, fuck you.

That's horrible! We often talk about show etiquette and what not here, but that's one of the worst things I've seen people do. I'm not even sure how to handle that one.

#489 6 years ago

Loved the show, recouping now. Was going in thinking houdini would be my highlight but came out really impressed by tna.

It was funny the next two games after tna my wife and i played she kept remarking how "slow" they seem.

Also the tricked out twilight zone in the free play area was amazing. Best one i have ever played. Thanks to whomever brought it.
    Also got to talk to the new manufacturers of tbl. Seem like a good bunch of guys but i still won't put in an order till some start coming off the line.

#490 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

At least you’re living up to the avatar name.

#491 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Why don't you talk to scott directly instead of skulking around these shows only to get back home and start trolling?

Agreed completely. There is no way that he would say this to me in real life. He is just hiding behind his keyboard. But seriously, I welcome you to come talk to me at the next show @dirtbag66.

#492 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I bet you cannot beat me at a dollar game on TNA. In fact I will throw down 10 bucks that you cannot beat me at it. Let's do this!

#493 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I bet you cannot beat me at a dollar game on TNA. In fact I will throw down 10 bucks that you cannot beat me at it. Let's do this!

I will sponsor Scott for his $10 and add $10 of my own (bet on Scott) to make this a $20 game between TheNoTrashCougar and dirtbag66

I normally suggest everyone not feed into the obvious trolling from dirtbag (he is feeding off of and enjoying the responses he's getting), but heck, let's make some bucks and get this challenge game underway. Where are we doing this?

#494 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I will sponsor Scott for his $10 and add $10 of my own (bet on Scott) to make this a $20 game between thenotrashcougar and dirtbag66
    I normally suggest everyone not feed into the obvious trolling from dirtbag (he is feeding off of and enjoying the responses he's getting), but heck, let's make some bucks and get this challenge game underway. Where are we doing this?

I got $20 on scott.

#495 6 years ago

I'd pay 20 bucks for the live stream with winnings going towards dirtbags social etiquette courses.

#496 6 years ago

I thought Expo 2017 was a blast. 13th year I’ve went, and for me this was one of the most enjoyable ones.

Attendance did seem to be down, but that made the lines for games shorter. That was nice! Still plenty of vendors and stuff to look at and buy. Plenty of games to play as well.

Seemed like lots more kids and ladies this year. Made it really feel like a family event. Mike seemed to be in great spirits and was friendly with me and everyone I saw him chat with.

JJPOTC and Houdini stole the show. Both awesome games. Now I just need to find a way to afford one of them!

Thank you to everyone that brought games to share. And thanks to Mike, Rob, Lonnie and crew for a great time. See you next year!

#497 6 years ago

This was my first time at a show and I had a blast. Going into it and reading all of the naysayers comments on here had me worried but I’m happy to report I wasn’t the least bit disappointed. I got a chance to play a lot of games I’ll never see around small town Iowa and put in lots of time on the new games. We got in on TNA an hour after the announcement and were super happy to have the most fun playing it over all else. I was even able to get my initials up on the whitewood at PBL.

Safe to say we can’t wait to come back again next year.

#498 6 years ago

Great job this year, Mike and Rob and the rest of the crew too.

#499 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That's horrible! We often talk about show etiquette and what not here, but that's one of the worst things I've seen people do. I'm not even sure how to handle that one.

Simple reach under the game and turn it off.

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2017-updates/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.