3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by APB_Enterprises
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0991 (resized).JPG
    20161015_025042 (resized).jpg

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

"Maybe if we released it on LaserDisc, it would do much better? I hear that's what the kids are into these days."

LOL, I still have a Laserdisc player from a Mylstar M*A*C*H*3 along with the game disc and the Dragon's Lair disc. And a few other discs from movies like Jaws, Earthquake (in Sensurround) and one featuring the Ivory Snow girl,; Marilyn Chambers

#52 3 years ago

Mike thank you for putting on a great show. I have the best time, every year. Thanks.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I also recall that recordings were sold of each seminar (on cassettes) when Expo was held at the Ramada O'Hare. Maybe 1st year at the Wyndham as well. But, sales waned and the guys doing it stopped as they could not make the business model work.

It's a different model today. There's a lot of work back then dubbing an original to a bunch of cassettes (even with 2x record speed), then hauling them to a show, spending the time to sit at a booth to sell them (time is money). Today, you can literally upload from your phone in about 3 clicks, and the distribution is built in. Once it's up there, money is made and sent automatically everytime someone clicks buy.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

With my apologies to my friends, the scooter
    is to help disabled.
    I am close to needing one, and would hope
    for a bit more empathy.

It's not that we disrespect a guy in a scooter, we disrespect Mike in his scooter. He is nothing but a bully with it. And oh yeah, HE CAN WALK! He has simply chosen not to, mostly. Sure, he's no spring chicken, but he's also just being lazy.

Also, keep the yapping dog and foghorn at home, sheesh. I'm not sure he could make it more weird if he tried.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

no other show ANYWHERE lets people play games the hours we do ALl night 3 nights in a row

You had Ali night there this year? Dooooh I thought he was dead!

rd

#58 3 years ago

1. Gryszzz still owes me a miller light. We came from Jersey and I never found him to collect!
    2. Show was great. Awesome vendors and tons of cool people.
    3. Skypilot was carrying something every time I saw him.
    4. I don't even know Mike. He was polite and said hello several times. From an outsider's point of view, it seemed like he was just cruising around making sure everything was o.k.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

You had Ali night there this year? Dooooh I thought he was dead!
    rd

They used hologram technology like that Tupac concert. Ali night was badass, and 3 nights in a row.

#60 3 years ago

For fucks sake it's Lite. And I was walking around with one late night every night. Where tf were you ?

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Row of Sinbads was mf spectacular.

Am i tripping because i didnt play a forth

#62 3 years ago

Teal night @ Twin Peaks ?
    Dammit Im pissed we never met Focker.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

For fucks sake it's Lite. And I was walking around with one late night every night. Where tf were you ?

LOL, yeah..... I had hoped to meet a bunch of people from pinside as I haven't ever made it that far west to a show, but before ya know it, it's time to leave. Hopefully meet up next time I just had to suffer and down some jack!

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You and your buddy might end up in jail for a night and then face a Judge. Unless you repaired the scooter or bought a new one.

Ha! You're probably right. Well if I punch him in the face I go to jail for sure. I like my odds with the scooter.

Quoted from shakethatmachine:

It's not that we disrespect a guy in a scooter, we disrespect Mike in his scooter. He is nothing but a bully with it. And oh yeah, HE CAN WALK! He has simply chosen not to, mostly. Sure, he's no spring chicken, but he's also just being lazy.

I'll just add that I saw him get off the scooter, slide a pinball lift under a machine and proceed to manhandle it. He's not an invalid, and I won't make assumptions about his need for the scooter, but there is a level of responsibility that the owner incurs when he chooses to use such a device. He has to be aware of his surroundings and not move about with the expectation that everyone should jump out of his way. We're not mind readers. He's on a motorized vehicle and we're all pedestrians. WE have the right of way, not him. Sure, if I see him coming towards me down the hall, I wouldn't continue to walk straight towards him and make him go out of his way to avoid me. That would be rude. But for him to come flying through a doorway with blatant disregard for the people in it, that's not right.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Secondly due to vendor input we extended hours this year for sat night and friday I twas too much what do you think are good hours for next year?? say 10 am to 10 pm?? or maybe friday noon to 10 pm or midnight kinda wanted some time after banquet on saturday?? whats your thoughts

I said this last year and I'll say it again now. Either open the vendor hall earlier on Friday (10 am this year was good), or rope off the Expobrawl tournament so the freeplay room can be open.

If you're not in the tournament, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO UNTIL VENDOR HALL OPENS OR THE TOURNAMENT IS OVER, which in the past has been one and the same.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I got kicked out with a ton of people every midnight.
    Here's the thing, because I get that the vendors are tired and burnt. The hall really serves multiple masters. There's a big difference between everyone wanting to line up and play Dialed In vs people wanting to buy flipper rubbers or a playfield. Or the new Sterns. Or whatever. Those aren't really "vendors" in the traditional sense.
    If there was any way to maintain access to the games but let the vendors shut down and have their wares be safe it would seem to be to help everyone.

I think this is a great suggestion. I also don't see many people buying too much after 10pm but I do see a whole lot of people wanting to play Dialed In or Hobbit or Ghostbusters Premium, Alien, etc. It would be AWESOME to have access to those games and let the hard working vendors have a bigger break at the same time.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Please hire a website designer with relevant experience in the 21st century, and keep the website current.

GeoCities Sites: The Internet in the 90s
    http://www.kuropixel.com/geocities-sites/

#68 3 years ago

It would have been nice if the stern party was open to all attendees. To travel so far and get shut out , after buying a second home worth of pins from stern is a letdown. I noticed gap had tix for sale too late on page 9 million of the bm66 thread. Expo should coordinate so attendees don't feel alienated.

The hotel is great and comfy. I would love a room for a flea Market/swap. More used parts and junk are always fun.

Great show as always. Thanks Mike.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

no other show ANYWHERE lets people play games the hours we do ALl night 3 nights in a row NO show offers the variety and vendors we do..SO gimme a brake ok dealing with people 16 hous a day for 5 days takes it toll THe manufactures dont want longer hours on their games either I had asked them to move ssome to games area and they say no Generally all other shows are ALOT stricter on games in and out and rules in general MOST people have no issues Its the ones that dont like to go by the set rules or hours that get mad Please remember when expo started and foe like 10 yeasr there were no other shows now theres one like every week on the second weekend in NOV there are 4 shows at the same time . so EXPO does loose some people to other shows we STILL off the best vendors best support from manufactures and the most industry people than any show by far

And it is exactly this kind of post that shows that Mike just doesn't "get it"...

and unfortunately... never will.

#70 3 years ago

We traveled from Australia for our first ever expo and throughly enjoyed every aspect of it thanks to all envolved with organising it. We leave today for Australia thanks America we had an awesome holiday and we will be back.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I said this last year and I'll say it again now. Either open the vendor hall earlier on Friday (10 am this year was good), or rope off the Expobrawl tournament so the freeplay room can be open.
    If you're not in the tournament, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO UNTIL VENDOR HALL OPENS OR THE TOURNAMENT IS OVER, which in the past has been one and the same.

There's are seminars available to attend. Rob Anthony's room is open to peruse the items for sale. The Hercules ( the pinball is a cue ball!) and Flintstones machines are available for free play. Also, the Ghostbusters next to the tournament machines is available.
    Finally, the Pinball Life Open House was going on starting late morning assuming you had transportation.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

And it is exactly this kind of post that shows that Mike just doesn't "get it"...
    and unfortunately... never will.

Yeah, it's the same thing every year. Asks what should change and then gets defensive about everything.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

It would have been nice if the stern party was open to all attendees. To travel so far and get shut out , after buying a second home worth of pins from stern is a letdown. I noticed gap had tix for sale too late on page 9 million of the bm66 thread. Expo should coordinate so attendees don't feel alienated.

If I would have known I paid for a ticket just to hang out with the same people I hang out with at EXPO, and be given the opportunity to buy beer and food without playing pinball, I would have sold my ticket early, or not bought one in the first place. Ed was the only perk to the party in my opinion.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, it's the same thing every year. Asks what should change and then gets defensive about everything.

To be honest, you can't make everyone happy.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

There's are seminars available to attend.

But only if you pay for them

Quoted from MrBally:

Rob Anthony's room is open to peruse the items for sale.

Yes. That takes about 10 minutes

Quoted from MrBally:

The Hercules ( the pinball is a cue ball!) and Flintstones machines are available for free play.

God no!

Quoted from MrBally:

Also, the Ghostbusters next to the tournament machines is available.

Guess I could try to monopolize that

Quoted from MrBally:

Finally, the Pinball Life Open House was going on starting late morning assuming you had transportation.

I think they opened at 10 am, which would be the only saving grace. But for those that don't have transportation, what else are they going to do?

Sorry, not trying to be negative. I usually sign up for Expobrawl, but for those early risers who flew in or don't want to go to PinballLife their options are VERY limited until the vendor hall and game hall open. Simple thing to fix.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I also recall that recordings were sold of each seminar (on cassettes) when Expo was held at the Ramada O'Hare. Maybe 1st year at the Wyndham as well. But, sales waned and the guys doing it stopped as they could not make the business model work.

I still have the '85 set. On Betamax!

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Skypilot was carrying something every time I saw

Hilarious, but I'm actually surprised you remember even being at the show! (where’s the little inebriated emoji when I need it).

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I tried releasing a year of Expo (2014 I think) on DVD and I lost money on the duplication and wasted many hours of my time. This was with permission of course. I'd love to see it streamed, heck I'd do it if they let me, but I don't know of a good business model for it.

There are conference cameras that break the single shot into multiple shots and you can capture and direct it with an tablet. You'd need someone to run it though. Someone that knew what they are doing.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

There's are seminars available to attend.
    But only if you pay for them

Paying for Seminars is always a first time noob mistake. NO ONE checks those badges. EVER. Anyone can walk into a seminar.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Paying for Seminars is always a first time noob mistake. NO ONE checks those badges. EVER. Anyone can walk into a seminar.

Very true.

However, I feel much better not cheating the show out of income.

#83 3 years ago

Yeah, I felt bad for you and all the vendors friday night. I understand why Stern did it then, with all the out of towners there for Expo, but man, the vendor haul was pretty empty.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Very true.
    However, I feel much better not cheating the show out of income.

At 30 bucks a head walk in to attend the show? Cheating the show my ass!

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Yeah, I felt bad for you and all the vendors friday night. I understand why Stern did it then, with all the out of towners there for Expo, but man, the vendor haul was pretty empty.

And because of that, my wife and I played the hell out of Dialed In.

#86 3 years ago

Look, that vendors room can be split off into many smaller sections. Place vendors that wants to close early in the back 3rd of the room. then close that partition at a disclosed time and lock the door(s).

Problem solved.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Look, that vendors room can be split off into many smaller sections. Place vendors that wants to close early in the back 3rd of the room. then close that partition at a disclosed time and lock the door(s).
    Problem solved.

I think they really need to do something like that in the future.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I think they really need to do something like that in the future.

Remember, that is how it used to be. That room was half vendors and half free play room with the partition. It's an easy fix!

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Remember, that is how it used to be. That room was half vendors and half free play room with the partition. It's an easy fix!

I might come back as a vendor if that was the case, I'd be willing to do shorter hours if my stuff is locked up. Plus I'd want to start packing up about 1-2 pm on Saturday afternoon and be totally out of there and heading home by the time the banquet is getting under way but I think Mike would have a problem with it? What do you think Mike?

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I might come back as a vendor if that was the case, I'd be willing to do shorter hours if my stuff is locked up. Plus I'd want to start packing up about 1-2 pm on Saturday afternoon and be totally out of there and heading home by the time the banquet is getting under way but I think Mike would have a problem with it? What do you think Mike?
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

Hey John
    Gotta' say, I missed you vending at Expo this year.
    Wally

#91 3 years ago

Thanks for your support Wally, I missed seeing you. I've got tons of stuff that I'll be unloading at the Ohio show and PATZ by the box full but Expo is just not for me from a vendor stand point anymore. From what I can gather from Mike is that I'll probably never be coming back to Expo as a vendor again. Seems like a "part time" vendor would be better then no vendor at all but it's not my show. I've seen others do it in the past years but they must have slipped out under the radar........

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Change the expo from wed-sun to wed-sat because Sunday is just a packing up day and nothing really going on. If someone decided to go just on Sunday they would be very disappointed.

The tough thing about this suggestion is that if you make it Wed to Saturday, people will pack up early on Saturday and leave then.

It's an issue with any show. With the MGC, we only run two days (sort of a third mini night), and we keep only about 2/3rds of the games there until close on Sunday or close to it.

Inevitably, people don't plan on staying at the hotel, and leaving a bit earlier seems more responsible. I get it. Expo, with its five day format, experiences this significantly more than even we do. A possible solution would be to sell extremely discounted tickets for Sunday, but I don't think Expo drives much attendance that day anyway.

Expo targets those who really know the pinball community, and because those visitors are pretty savvy to the show before they get there, I doubt many if any people are surprised by Sunday each year.

#93 3 years ago

Pinball is not my job, so Friday and Saturday should be the best days at the expo period. Seems like alot of people are gone by Saturday night. For that travel time, money, and commitment the show should start Friday morning.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

The tough thing about this suggestion is that if you make it Wed to Saturday, people will pack up early on Saturday and leave then.
    It's an issue with any show. With the MGC, we only run two days (sort of a third mini night), and we keep only about 2/3rds of the games there until close on Sunday or close to it.
    Inevitably, people don't plan on staying at the hotel, and leaving a bit earlier seems more responsible. I get it. Expo, with its five day format, experiences this significantly more than even we do. A possible solution would be to sell extremely discounted tickets for Sunday, but I don't think Expo drives much attendance that day anyway.
    Expo targets those who really know the pinball community, and because those visitors are pretty savvy to the show before they get there, I doubt many if any people are surprised by Sunday each year.

Not every show. I know the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show and a few others don't let games get pulled from the floor early. Our show still has all 400+ games on freeplay from opening Friday at noon until we close at 3pm on Sunday. We get a lot of local people that only come on Sunday and they expect games to be there to play. Vendors still clean up on Sunday too, I know that's when I buy most of my parts. But our show is mainly about playing games, so that's a higher priority for us.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Hey, now... Mike WELCOMES feedback and suggestions about how to improve for next year!.

Just look at some of the feedback and suggestions he got after EXPO 2015...

Quoted from mikepin:

Ok now that I have sorta recovered from EXPO and the head bashing LOL Lets ask about your thoughts on changes . YES over the years I have asked and yes we have made some changes.

Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Website could use to be updated.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think the website is the biggest issue for me.

Quoted from Jetzxi:

update your website.

Quoted from tslayer71:

How about offering someone tickets/ merchandise / something in exchange for helping you update your website? I'm sure there's some talented Web folks on pinside...

Quoted from badbilly27:

The website as mentioned before needs help.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Same confusing website

Quoted from rotordave:

website is diabolical.

Quoted from metallik:

The website is a trainwreck

Quoted from jlm33:

Another vote for an updated website.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

A possible solution would be to sell extremely discounted tickets for Sunday, but I don't think Expo drives much attendance that day anyway.

IMHO no ticket should be sold after 6am Sun. Just not enough time left to get any value from what's left of the show after that. By noon it's mostly empty. Sun is simply a pack-out day.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Not every show. I know the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show and a few others don't let games get pulled from the floor early. Our show still has all 400+ games on freeplay from opening Friday at noon until we close at 3pm on Sunday. We get a lot of local people that only come on Sunday and they expect games to be there to play. Vendors still clean up on Sunday too, I know that's when I buy most of my parts. But our show is mainly about playing games, so that's a higher priority for us.

What and when is your show? Sounds awesome!

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What about the possibility of setting up the P-Roc and Fast sections in the overflow room from a couple years back? That would be a great way to allow the vendor hall to close earlier and keep the fun time creator games acessible.
    Just a thought.

I don't know what the overflow room is. I have been there the last few years so maybe it was a section I never made it to.

The reason we like the vendor hall is that it does provide some security and also let's us keep an eye on the games. New custom pins are essentially getting "tested" when being put out in front of the public to come up and play the hell out of them. A general game hall (assuming this is what the overflow room is) would be harder to hang around and monitor. Also, people love to hangout and talk about the games with the designers, when possible. A vendor room makes it easier for keeping an eye on tools and stuff, as well.

I liked our setup this year. We built a booth fort and many of us just hung out and worked on pinball all weekend. Next year we will have at least 2x the games. The existing games will be more mature and hardened (Tattoo Mystique didn't error once! and only one stuck ball) and new games will be getting played hard by the general public, getting put through the motions.

Maybe we could have an "Expo After Dark" space where we could shut down the vendor hall to the public (but still allow vendors access to stuff) and then the vendors could move their games to another space and let that room run late. Get a couple kegs of beer and some pizzas and let the people who want to be up all night with their games, be there?

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What and when is your show? Sounds awesome!

http://nwpinballshow.com/

June 9th-11th 2017

It is our big 10 Year Anniversary. Come on out. Should be awesome!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#100 3 years ago

It would help if Mike spoke english.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 219.99
    $ 109.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 32.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 224.99
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 11.95
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside