Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by spiroagnew
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

turtle-pirate1.jpg
    Expo reference.JPG
    ffsake.gif
    bbheadrub.gif
    Pinball Pool Backglass.jpg
    pbl_rev b.jpg
    rollergames_bg.png
    backflash_w1920x1200.jpg
    Expo Design Winner.JPG
    winner.jpg
    calvin.jpg
    whitey1.jpg
    claytorsExpo13.jpg
    claytorPinballBestofShow.JPG
    2014PatZPoster.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tl54hill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#158 9 years ago

After Expo this year, everyone complained about all sorts of things...stagnant...not enough machines...location...parking...difficulties bringing machines...hurt feelings...Mike vs. Terry...we have all read the threads. I think Mike is genuinely trying to make things better. If this guy didn't care about Expo he wouldn't be around. We asked him to make things better, and to save Expo.

That's what this tee-shirt thing is. He has had the same sweatshirt design since I have been going for years. I am sure he looked at that from the perspective of trying to make things better and thought how can we do that with the tee-shirt? That's all he is trying to do...make things better.

I understand the concerns raised by graphics professionals here, and I see where they are coming from. They are devalued all the time because the nature of their work is to create something that looks so appropriate and natural that people think it looks effortless. When it is all done, you guys make it look easy...too easy sometimes. People don't understand the work you put in.

But where I think Mike is coming from is that people volunteer for Expo. They volunteer their machines...they deliver and set them up for free...they break them down and remove them for free. I am sure there are many volunteers who help with planning, set up, take down, etc. I think Mike is looking for people to work in spirit of volunteerism...whether it is right or not...if that is how it is always done this should not be a surprise. I do not know the financials of Expo...is there a profit? Does it sometimes lose money? Where do those profits go? I would suspect no one is getting rich off of Expo. If Mike is making big money off of expo, then he can pay a few bucks for professional services. I agree. But if it needs volunteers to work, we can either volunteer or not. Our choice, but I'd cut Mike some slack for trying to make the show better.

One last item, IMO Expo is important to pinball...manufacturers...vendors...operators...players...and even new people who are curious. I don't think the pinball community is large enough to afford infighting, boycotts, etc. When Jack Guarnieri starts a new company it is good for innovation, it is good for pinball. We need to have his back, he is one of our own. Its the same with Mike. Expo is good for pinball, and it is the sort of thing that we should all feel a part of. Expo is declining the last couple of years. It is hurting, and needs the support of the pinball community.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tl54hill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2014-t-shirt-design-contest?tu=tl54hill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.