Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by spiroagnew
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

turtle-pirate1.jpg
    Expo reference.JPG
    ffsake.gif
    bbheadrub.gif
    Pinball Pool Backglass.jpg
    pbl_rev b.jpg
    rollergames_bg.png
    backflash_w1920x1200.jpg
    Expo Design Winner.JPG
    winner.jpg
    calvin.jpg
    whitey1.jpg
    claytorsExpo13.jpg
    claytorPinballBestofShow.JPG
    2014PatZPoster.jpg
    There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago

In the past most shirts were designed by pinball people AGAIN our intent was to have fun..NOT PISS off anyone .. GEEZ

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

You don't think artists had to work at their craft, just like anyone going to college and grad school?
    The difference is you're not getting hired at a job; this is an actual one time gig.
    What do you do for a living? Would you do that same job for free if it might win you a contest?

I never said artists don't work hard. I totally respect they can do what they do, I know I can't. but that does not change the fact that a contest aimed at the public to do an "art project" does not devalue what pro artists are doing.

#53 9 years ago

There are certain gaskets that are sure to blow every year. I set my watch by them.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

This whole thread is rediculous There are 2 partners in expo.. we dont always agree .Rob tends to be shorter sometimes. I want to talk to RYAN... The contest was kinda designed for the novices BUT his work is great and could work... Actually we really dont make much money on t shirts as we give alot away... Not intended to. WE/I am really trying to make ths 30 th expo the best.. I have over 75 games coming from 2 sources and our maim speaker is NOLAN BUSHNELL from Atari fame.. SO book you hotel now AS IT WILL SELL OUT for sure many other sorprises as well.. The contest was not intended to insult anyone... rather to have fun.. OK what did RYAN get paid for ZOO show?? come on ease up guys

No thanks, I think I will just go to pinball life expo instead. They don't treat artists like shit.

Anyone else want to join me in NOT going to Chicago Expo? Maybe if we get enough people to commit to not going then Mike will see the error of his ways... It appears the only thing that matters to him is cash / lost revenue.

#55 9 years ago

My free, no strings attached submission:

"My distro went to Expo
    and all he bought me
    was this lousy T-shirt."

Go with the classics, I say!

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

I never said artists don't work hard. I totally respect they can do what they do, I know I can't. but that does not change the fact that a contest aimed at the public to do an "art project" does not devalue what pro artists are doing.

Sure it does.

When a company knows it can essentially get a professional design done for free, guess what happens to the professional artist? S/he gets less work; s/he can't charge a fair rate.

An "art project"? Is a broken toilet a plumbing project? Is an un-made meal a dinner project?

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

This is what companies do all the time. Guess what, when a company decides to build a new building they put out an RFP so that many architecture companies can each design a building to the specs given (lots of new work, not just a portfolio or old work) and then compete to see which is the one that "wins" and get built. My company wants to get better pricing on supplies it uses, it goes out to vendors and tells them they need to submit a proposal for what discounts we will get if we make them the preferred (not even exclusive) supplier. Those companies go through full proposals (lots of work) and 1, or none, might get accepted.

No shit. I do RFPs all day long. Guess what? That's probably a multi-million dollar contract in your example. You do the RFP to compete for the big pie, and you make your living on the % of ones you successfully get. And no, you're not doing the full work, you're simply fulfilling the proposal phase, it's not like you finish the RFP, get the job, and go "welp, we already did all the work, heading to the beach now, have fun building that!".

When I do an RFP for a quarter million dollar ad campaign and don't get it, hey was worth a shot still, that's the level of competition at that scale. Last one I did for that rate was accepted. The final design is only vaguely like the proposal, I'm waiting for the second round of approval from the client. Plenty of work after the RFP stage. My design rates factor all that in. All these example are just way too far removed from $100 tshirts to be all that relevant though.

Your vendors aren't supplying free shit to you, and then if you like it maybe you'll pay them I assume?

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

No thanks, I think I will just go to pinball life expo instead. They don't treat artists like shit.

Anyone else want to join me in NOT going to Chicago Expo? Maybe if we get enough people to commit to not going then Mike will see the error of his ways... It appears the only thing that matters to him is cash / lost revenue.

Has Pinball Life announced 2014 dates yet?

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

The problem is only one person gets compensated (if at all!) and in the worst of these contests, even the losing designs become property of the contest runner.

My wife did artwork for a school a couple of years ago and not only did she not get the job but they stole her art work and gave it to a cheaper company to mass produce. Never again will she do free designs to get a job.

#60 9 years ago

Just bring a pin to expo for free admission. Oh, wait......

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

He and Terry had some beef last year,

Quoted from dkpinball:

Maybe you could use Calvin peeing on something...

This was funny last year.

If Expo is celebrating 30 years, I'd love Mike to reconcile with all the beef's he has with people like Terry, Gene, etc. Now is the time to make an awesome show and burry the hatchet(s).

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone else want to join me in NOT going to Chicago Expo?

My friend hold on. I'm not at all trying to defend Mike, but he just stated his intentions were for fun and he wants to still talk to Ryan. Shouldn't we lay the pitchforks down and give them a chance to talk? Just sayin.

Like to see you at Expo too.

#63 9 years ago

Guys, no need to fight. I got this.

winner.jpgwinner.jpg

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I like it. Very clever.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

My friend hold on. I'm not at all trying to defend Mike, but he just stated his intentions were for fun and he wants to still talk to Ryan. Shouldn't we lay the pitchforks down and give them a chance to talk? Just sayin.
    Like to see you at Expo too.

Just trying to make a point that if someone running a show continually treats people like shit then it will impact his bottom dollar.

Let's face it, with Pinball Life throwing an awesome show of gratitude, EXPO needs to get some shit figured out really quickly and make amends if they want to make it past the 30th year. There are more and more viable alternatives and if Expo does not wake up then they will be a dinosaur before they know it.

As of right now the ONLY thing even remotely worth attending expo for are the botique pinball makers which are kind enough to lug in their games to share. Mike should be paying them to attend.

#66 9 years ago

Okay, where's my $100?

Expo Design Winner.JPGExpo Design Winner.JPG

#67 9 years ago

since this is a contest, i think pinside should get to vote for the best one.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I'm not at all trying to defend Mike, but he just stated his intentions were for fun and he wants to still talk to Ryan. Shouldn't we lay the pitchforks down and give them a chance to talk? Just sayin.

I agree.

Anyone who has ever emailed Mike before knows that electronic communication isn't exactly his strong suit.

Ryan is a very calm, patient, and rational individual. He's not out to escalate this into a huge fight...where, frankly, there are no real "winners."

I'm still hopeful that Mike and Ryan can get something worked out.

Pete

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just trying to make a point that if someone running a show continually treats people like shit then it will impact his bottom dollar.

Let's face it, with Pinball Life throwing an awesome show of gratitude, EXPO needs to get some shit figured out really quickly and make amends if they want to make it past the 30th year. There are more and more viable alternatives and if Expo does not wake up then they will be a dinosaur before they know it.

Ok, this I agree with. Has Mike set up a thread with a willingness to listen to suggestions for show improvement?

I'm getting worried as recent shows like in MI I heard was extremely well run and received. TX and PA events keep picking up steam. Chicago Expo I keep hearing from hobbyists they may pass on. Expo should be "THE" event to cap off the year of shows. MGC may be evolving into the better Midwest show right now.

I want Expo to be "THE" show since it's at the epicenter of pinball - Chicago baby. I like the idea in another thread of extending to cosplay. At least with less pins some walking artwork and eye candy.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Man, I'm still trying to piece this together...

3: Lethal Weapon 3.
    0: Paragon
    TH: Lethal Weapon 3

P: Paragon
    i: I have no idea.
    n: Paragon
    b - Eight Ball Deluxe
    a - Lethal Weapon 3
    LL: At first I thought something like High Speed or Getaway, but that isn't it.

E: Again, I know I should know it...
    x: Eight Ball Deluxe
    p: It looks familiar. I'll feel dumb when I see it.
    o: Paragon

I'm going to feel moronic when I miss some of the easy ones.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Rollergames I think

And the i was from Circus Voltair

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Man, I'm still trying to piece this together...
    3: Lethal Weapon 3.
    0: Paragon
    TH: Lethal Weapon 3
    P: Paragon
    i: I have no idea.
    n: Paragon
    b - Eight Ball Deluxe
    a - Lethal Weapon 3
    E: Again, I know I should know it...
    x: Eight Ball Deluxe
    p: It looks familiar. I'll feel dumb when I see it.
    o: Paragon
    I'm going to feel moronic when I miss some of the easy ones.

LL - Rollergames

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Rollergames I think

Damn! Too slow

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

As of right now the ONLY thing even remotely worth attending expo for are the botique pinball makers which are kind enough to lug in their games to share. Mike should be paying them to attend.

I don't disagree with any of this, but one very important thing you're forgetting, the PBL open house doesn't exist without Expo. Terry could have an open house any day of the year, but chooses to have it during Expo, because that's when he'll get the biggest/best turn-out.

This year's 30th Anniversary of Expo looks to be one of the best ever. Mike's taken past suggestions to heart and is implementing them it seems. From what I understand the free play area will be moved and will be bigger and better than it's ever been. New blood working on the room too, which promises to be a much better experience for everyone, with more, and better quality games.

I think everyone involved wants to make the 30th Anniversary special and are putting efforts into doing exactly that.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Rollergames I think
    And the i was from Circus Voltair

That "i" is NOT from Cirqus Voltaire....

I don't think the LL's are Rollergames, either...

Pete

backflash_w1920x1200.jpgbackflash_w1920x1200.jpg rollergames_bg.pngrollergames_bg.png
    #76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I think everyone involved wants to make the 30th Anniversary special and are putting efforts into doing exactly that.

Then I hope Ryan has a cushy hotel suite right above it all.

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

winner.jpg 52 KB

Sadly, more artistic then mine wpuld be

#79 9 years ago

Funny this came up, just got this in my last PBL order!

pbl_rev b.jpgpbl_rev b.jpg

#80 9 years ago

I get the impression that Pinball Expo did not intend to insult the pinball art community, but since the darn has burst and we're all ranting on the topic: here's my 2 cents...

There is no tit-for-tat on this topic. Creative professionals, especially illustrators, are towards the top of the list when it comes to skilled trades that are exploited. The fact that some of you want to argue that artists should waste their time designing and illustrating a client's piece, just to battle royale over who gets paid for their time, is proving the point. No other profession puts up with this crap. You want a quality artist for something you're going to sell? Request portfolios and price quotes.

Don't get me wrong, there are good art contests. Those contests, however, tend to be geared towards competition and prizes (exposure being secondary). The main point of these contests tend to be to generate good art while plugging some product, not so someone can get some quality art work done for cheap that they can then own and milk for cash.

For the record, I've done several gratis pieces for my local pinball community. All of those pieces were either for charity (100% of proceeds go to donation) or it was helping a non-profit effort. No one should be expected to put in valued work for free, just so someone else gets paid.

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

My wife did artwork for a school a couple of years ago and not only did she not get the job but they stole her art work and gave it to a cheaper company to mass produce. Never again will she do free designs to get a job.

This happens more than you know.
    As a professional artist for 35yrs. I couldn't agree more with Ryan & Aurich. We get ripped off more often than appreciated. We are born with a talent most people cannot even comprehend. It is not taught. Only cultured.
    Calvin12 your statements are typical of the unenlightened. Think the car you drive is sexy? Thank an artist. Your favorite playfield? Thank an artist. 'nuff said.

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

they whole you disrespect everyone by even running this contest. stuff like that is BS.

No. By running the "contest" with a token "prize" of nominal value, Mike was clearly trying to get a design for free that he is going to profit from, presumably with no other compensation to the artist.

Quoted from calvin12:

Aurich's rant was completely uncalled for.

I disagree. His points were dead on. I wouldn't have written it the way he did, though maybe I would have if Mike had posted a contest to design a computerized registration, attendance and vendor system with full mobile, scanner and badge printing support and offered a "prize" of $100.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Sure it does.
    When a company knows it can essentially get a professional design done for free, guess what happens to the professional artist? S/he gets less work; s/he can't charge a fair rate.
    An "art project"? Is a broken toilet a plumbing project? Is an un-made meal a dinner project?

Art project, yes for this. What mike is looking for is basically an art class style project. this isn't a million $ campaign. You mention fair rate, thats a nebulous term , who decides what that is, you do. Someone elses fair compensatory on might be $100. Thats just as correct as your fair rate.

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Art project, yes for this. What mike is looking for is basically an art class style project. this isn't a million $ campaign. You mention fair rate, thats a nebulous term , who decides what that is, you do. Someone elses fair compensatory on might be $100. Thats just as correct as your fair rate.

Please just stop while you're behind.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

That "i" is NOT from Cirqus Voltaire....

I don't think the LL's are Rollergames, either...

Quoted from pmWolf:

P = Firepower II

Correct on all three counts.

#86 9 years ago

I should have purposely chosen all obscure games to make this more of a contest. Winner doesn't get $100, though.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Please just stop while you're behind.

I'm not behind at all, although now I may need to try to come up with a design.

#88 9 years ago

Yancy is in the lead with his design.

any other submissions?

#89 9 years ago

Is bangerjays borat copyrighted? Should work that in.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

LL - Rollergames

No the LL is from Pinball Pool

Pinball Pool Backglass.jpgPinball Pool Backglass.jpg
    #91 9 years ago
    Quoted from cardfelon:

No the LL is from Pinball Pool

Pinball Pool Backglass.jpg 195 KB

Cool. At least BadBilly27 and I both guessed the same. I don't feel too bad

#92 9 years ago

Quick update: I called Mike earlier once I got off work (teaching). Caught him at an inopportune time. Said he'd give me a ring back this evening.

Thanks for the outpouring of support for my statement and recognizing the importance/worth of art. Truly appreciated.

Here's hoping for a fun shirt design to commemorate Expo's 30th year. ...no offense to Yancy, PMWolf, or the other "designers" on this thread.

Take care, guys!
    Ryan

#93 9 years ago

looking forward to the 30th!

#94 9 years ago

Lets just get a shirt that isnt the same as every year with just a year change.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Quick update: I called Mike earlier once I got off work (teaching). Caught him at an inopportune time. Said he'd give me a ring back this evening.
    Thanks for the outpouring of support for my statement and recognizing the importance/worth of art. Truly appreciated.
    Here's hoping for a fun shirt design to commemorate Expo's 30th year. ...no offense to Yancy, PMWolf, or the other "designers" on this thread.
    Take care, guys!
    Ryan

Sorry I took your wonderful post and blew it up into such a shit storm. I know you understand, but still.

Mike, I don't think you meant to make anyone mad or offended. The best intentions don't really change the reality of trying to freeload off people, but I get that you didn't see it that way. But your response to Ryan's post was utterly tone deaf, and I hope that now that you've seen everyone's reaction you do the smart thing and work out a deal with him. You won't regret it, because the guy is seriously dedicated, I have some of his work sitting here on my desk right now. You'll end up with a shirt you can be proud of, I'm certain of it, and it will be the right move for the community too.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Take care, guys!
    Ryan

See? You are threatened by our design abilities.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Sorry I took your wonderful post and blew it up into such a shit storm. I know you understand, but still.
    Mike, I don't think you meant to make anyone mad or offended. The best intentions don't really change the reality of trying to freeload off people, but I get that you didn't see it that way. But your response to Ryan's post was utterly tone deaf, and I hope that now that you've seen everyone's reaction you do the smart thing and work out a deal with him. You won't regret it, because the guy is seriously dedicated, I have some of his work sitting here on my desk right now. You'll end up with a shirt you can be proud of, I'm certain of it, and it will be the right move for the community too.

Aurich, you have a good heart and everything you said meant something. Here's hoping Ryan and Mike work something out.

#98 9 years ago

If Ryan and Mike work something out; does that mean that the contest is being cancelled? If Ryan get the prevailing rate of two nights at the Hotel and admission, could this mean the T-Shirts will be more expensive than last year?

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What the heck else do you want him to do? He's already said he will talk to Ryan privately. Give him a chance for heavens sake.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Really? I kinda of like: the Stern factory tour, the MANY seminars, the vendors, the banquet, the free play, fireside chats, etc. oh yeah, Twin Peaks too.

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2014-t-shirt-design-contest/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.