(Topic ID: 98235)

Pinball Expo 2014 - Come and meet the Pinside team!

By robin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 433 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141017_175432.jpg
    IMG_20141016_093541.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-503.jpg
    image.jpg
    Iphone 2014 005.JPG
    image.jpg
    index-678.jpeg
    20140918_071225.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.46.29.png
    lanyard-concept-70.jpg
    Pinside ID badge.jpg
    image.jpg
    2014 Layout.png
    2013 Layout.png
    PPM.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi Pinside!

I'm happy to announce that the Pinside is coming to Pinball Expo (for the first time!)

My brother Martijn and I will be flying into Chicago on the 11th of October for some downtown sightseeing (and pinballing of course!) and then attend the 30th Pinball Expo at the Westin Chicago North Shore from 15-20 October.

Come see our seminar on Friday!
    The Pinside will be doing a seminar titled "Pinside: Past, Present and Future" on Friday at 5pm.

Are you coming to Expo too?
    If you are coming to Expo, please visit the event page and push the big "I'm Going" button!

The Pinside "Away from Keyboard" meet n' greet
    The first ever official Pinside meetup will be at Pinball Expo Chicago on Thursday, 1pm in the Birch Room. Thanks Mike P for allowing us to host our get-together

So what is this Pinside Meet n' Greet? Finally a chance to meet all those people you have been chatting with for all those years!

The Meet n' Greet is proudly sponsored by Game Exchange. Co-hosts: Skypilot and Robin.

« Some content hidden, only visible to registered Pinsiders » Over 170 Pinsiders are coming to Expo. I hope a large percentage will come and say hi!

Pinsiders only!
    You can download and print your Pinside badge here. JJ will provide the lanyards and badge holders. No badge? No pizza

...Do you have any tips for visiting Chicago? Pinball-related or not, feel free to post to this thread!

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Is this your first expo Robin?

Yes, my first Expo and second time in the United States (after my 2012 trip to New York city).

#7 9 years ago

Ah, the first names are visible in the Expo event page "I'm Going" box. Don't forget to add yours if you are going!

#9 9 years ago

Yes, especially then! I'm planning to bring some cones of shame!

cone_of_shame.jpgcone_of_shame.jpg

#19 9 years ago

Cool tips! All I had on my itinerary until now was the view from Sears tower (apparently it has another name now), the Navy Pier, and basically just gawking at all the skyscrapers.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

And while you're in Chicago, you *have* to go to Giordanos for pizza! It'll be an interesting comparison to what pizza you may have had in NYC

In NYC my dad and I were treated to fabulous pizza by Pinsider islandpinball at his hometown pizzeria in New Jersey. I will say this, it's gonna be hard to top those pizza's!

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Treat yourself to nice Chicago Beef dinner. Gene and Georgettis is my favorite but Harry Carys and the Chop House all do great steaks. Or prime rib at Lowrys.

Thanks for the tips!

Quoted from KoolFingers:

One place to checkout is Superdawg’s - original location is at 6363 N Milwaukee Ave.. It's a Chicago landmark.

Looks like a pretty good piece of Americana, worth checking out!

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think every chicago pinsider should open up their homes, and Robin should just hire a limo to drive him from house to house

Haha, sweet! But on that subject, where can I find good pins to play in Chicago? Either private or public. New York had the awesome Reciprocal and the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. So what are Chicago's best spots to play?

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Be sure and get in touch with Mike to work out time and place. If you haven't already.
    LTG : )

I'm in contact with Rob B about this.

Quoted from gweempose:

I live only 10 minutes from the Westin hotel where expo is held. I'd love to have you and your brother come by and hang out while you're in town. In fact, I may organize some kind of official Pinside thing at my house. It's just a matter of figuring out when to do it so it doesn't conflict with other pinball stuff going on that weekend.

No way! How can I have missed that? I will be at the Westin from Wednesday until Monday so we should be able to come over and possibly organise something

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Come by Logan (Hardware) Arcade! Who knows what will be on the floor by October as I'm just one man maintaining ~35 pins and ~40 vids, but here's what we have out right now:

Cool, it's only 42 minute travel from my hotel (Rafaellos)!

Quoted from Barron:

First round of Malort shots are on me.

I love wormwood! Ugh!

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I would make the same offer as last 2 years. I will buy the First round for All.

Now we're talking, thanks! This should help my plan of getting as many Pinsiders to Expo as possible!

...I also heard there's gonna be a party at Gweems place!

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Did Pinsider lanyards/name tags ever come to fruition? Might be a good time to have some made up for everyone.

Unfortunately they didn't, would be cool. Where was that thread again with that cool mockup?

Quoted from tamoore:

I might need to go again this year...

Remember to put your name on the event page, using the "I'm going" button. That way we know who are coming! Currently at 43 Pinsiders!

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Honestly i think you should have waited till spring and went to the Midwest gaming classic in Brookfield much nicer show. The Expo is always such a disapointment in comparison with the exception of having a better vendor hall.

Expo is kind of special to me. When I first got into pinball, around 1998-1999 scouring the internet for any info I could find about pinball machine, I remember first reading about the Pinball Expo event. Chicago, city of pinball. The Factory tour, meeting all the designers, playing rare games, that big hall full of machines. I never thought I would make it there at some point. Now, I finally had the opportunity to visit a show and, even better, attending its 30th anniversary! See, it just had to be Pinball Expo!

Quoted from Pinfidel:

It would be great to meet you all.

My thoughts exactly!

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

The last three times I've been to Expo (I know I missed last year), I can count the number of games I played on one hand total. I could care less if there were 2 games there or 2500, it's less about that for me and more about seeing and talking with people who share a common bond.

My thoughts exactly. Although there are some rare games that I would love to have a game on. But it's mostly about meeting people.

Quoted from Rensh:

Me and Winfred de Ruijter are going also for first time. First expo and than NY with visiting JJP and NY.
    Don't know if it is already mentioned but DP is having a VIP Party to. Do you know members of DP team?

That's so cool! Looking forward to meeting you. Winfred I already spoke to at the last DPO!

Lots of parties! To be honest, I don't know any of the DP members very well. I spoke to Jean Paul briefly at a book presentation in Amsterdam. Oh, and I spoke to Jules when I sold him my Bally Atlantis earlier this year. Cool people.

Quoted from Rensh:

On my wish list for the spinner is still an interview with you

Bring it on!
    Come over for Dinner, bring other NFV'ers . We can play some pinball too.

Quoted from Rensh:

Don't forget to put DPO on your agenda to for 1+2 November !!

You can add the event, simply go to the events page and click the "add event" link. The advantage of being the creator is the ability to change details later without the need to ask me.

#102 9 years ago

Great that so many are coming. Counter is already over 80!

I just got this in the mail from Rob Berk, pretty cool so I figured I'd post it here. There will be a seminar about the visible pinball, a totally clear EM pinball machine that let's you see the logic (and magic) that happens inside an EM game. I'm looking forward to see this cool piece of pinball art

Here's the press release:
    Photo credit: Kevin TiellPhoto credit: Kevin Tiell

Visible Pinball & Video Kiosk with Animation of Reset Sequence:
    1. The centerpiece of the Science of Pinball Exhibition. This is a totally clear pinball machine rebuilt from a 1976 Gottlieb Surf Champ. The exhibit examines the electrical, mechanical and physical engineering of a sophisticated Pinball machine of the era. . The accompanying video explains a step at a time, what happens when you press the replay button to begin playing a new game. This is an introduction to electromechanical logic and mechanisms.

2. The Visible Pinball Mk II. Michael Schiess teamed up with Wade Krause to build the first clear pinball machine in 2005. This is the 2nd version based on Wade's idea for a 2 layer playfield with the translucent art screened in between. This is the most popular of all our exhibits, having been to the TED talks, ASTC and Maker Faires. It has been featured in Popular Mechanics as one of the most innovative pinball machines made. The Mark III model was purchased by the Exploratorium and is on permanent display in San Francisco.

3. The Visible Pinball was built by Michael Schiess and Wade Krause for the Pacific Pinball Museum as the premier exhibit for their Science of Pinball series. Discover how this beautiful piece has been inspiring an interest in engineering, art and physics. Learn about how it was made, the people involved and the techniques for machining the parts and their assembly in a photographic history documenting it's creation.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I'm still undecided on whether to stay at the Westin or book another (half the price) place. If I can share a room at the Westin with 2 queen beds I may prefer to stay there. PM me if you're interested in sharing a room.

If you use the special Expo link, the room prices will be much more reasonable at around $125 per night for either a king or 2 queen beds.
    http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=1311184194&key=2C5B8

#168 9 years ago

Cool! We are now at 99 Pinsiders who indicated they will be attending!

If you haven't added your name to the "I'm Going" list, don't forget to do so!

#183 9 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

Been trying to add my name to the list but its telling me:
    You have insufficient user level for this call (your level:0, required level: 10). some functionality is only allowed for editors.
    So...the wife and I will be there, but not on the official count

Please log out and back in, then try again. It sounds like your token is invalidated somehow.

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Will there be an early week meetup that's actually in the city? Maybe Logan Arcade?

Great idea! I have not planned anything for my first few days in the city except that I'm definitely planning to visit Logan Arcade. Maybe Barron could set something up? Pre-Expo party!!

4 weeks later
    #227 9 years ago

I'm really happy to see so many of you coming to Expo. It's gonna be great to meet you all!

As far as Pinside goes, we will have a couple of things happening at Expo! I will be doing a talk on Friday about the history and future of Pinside.com - Things that you probably wanted to know but were afraid to ask, like: who's cleaning up the mess that all those Pinsiders leave every day

The moderators will join me to tell their story about the awful task of moderating an online forum.

And I just got of the phone with Skypilot and we are going to be organizing one or two quick get-togethers at Expo. Nothing too fancy but a place and time to meet up and put faces to Pinside handles.

Details and times will follow, just wanted to give you a heads up.

#238 9 years ago

I have been looking into building a lanyard card generator, based on the above design. It currently looks something like this:

lanyard-concept-70.jpglanyard-concept-70.jpg

I based the dimensions on this badge holder: http://www.idsupply.com/HS100-V-Vertical-Badge-Holder-P2015.aspx Is that one a good format? I want it sized for the most common, widely available badge holder.

#240 9 years ago

Okay, work on the badge generator is progressing nicely, should be finished soon!

Quoted from Skypilot:

Are you allowing an additional line for actual names

Great idea, but it should be optional I think. Maybe I'll also add option for location (country, city, state).

#260 9 years ago

To avoid confusion, I have asked Rob Berk to change our Friday 5:00pm seminar title to “Pinside.com - Past, present and future” - it's not as much a get-together but will be a talk about the history of Pinside.com, the current state and where we're going with the site (world domination!). My brother is gonna be there as well and there will be 5 moderators joining us, fun times!

We are also going to be organizing a Pinside meet n' greet, called the "Pinside - Away from keyboard get-together” on Thursday at 1:00pm in the Birch Room (not on the schedule yet) - This will be an event for Pinsiders to meet up and shake hands (or have beers with old foes). Note: this event will not be moderated

#263 9 years ago

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention, you can now generate your own Pinside event badge.

I'm still looking into generating the correct size. does anyone know what the most common badge holder sizes are?

#266 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tekman:

When I went to expo in 2012 they used 3"Hx4"W name cards inside the badge holder sleeve.

Hmm, okay, that's only completely different

How should I tackle this? I based my design on the most common badge holder size. Should I add a preset dropdown box with some predefined sizes? Which?

#281 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

The Pinside Meet and Greet is officially on the EXPO schedule. Thursday 1PM . Hope to see you all there!
    Thanks Mike P for accommodating us.

Cool! Then it's official!

The Pinside "Away from Keyboard" meet n' greet will be at Pinball Expo Chicago on Thursday, 1pm in the Birch Room. Thanks Mike P for allowing us to host our get-together

So what is the Pinside Meet n' Greet? Finally a chance to meet all those people you have been chatting with for all those years!

The Meet n' Greet is proudly sponsored by Game Exchange. Co-hosts: Skypilot and Robin.

Free badge holder/lanyard (and pizza, ssshht - Pinsiders only)
    Please RSVP before October 12th by sending a PM to JJ at Game Exchange. He will prepare your badge and make sure there's pizza for you. Yes, you read that right: RSVP for free pizza!

Over 170 Pinsiders are coming to Expo. I hope a large percentage will come and say hi!

Pinsiders only!
    You can download and print your Pinside badge here. JJ will provide the lanyards and badge holders. No badge? No pizza

#307 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bay78:

Does anyone know how to print these pinside badges to the proper size or what the proper size is? I clicked on the link and it brought me there but when I go to print it wants to print it as a full page using the full 8.5"x11". Any info on this?

Quoted from SealClubber:

What size are the badge holders so we know how big to print them out?

Design is aimed at printing 2.75" wide and 3.87" height. That should fit well in a 3x4 badge holder. I will see if I can make the badge generator output a PDF instead of a JPG file an also see if I can add information about the badges and maybe some links to order.

#312 9 years ago

Thursday!

The Pinside "Away from Keyboard" meet n' greet, the first ever official Pinside meetup, will be on Thursday, 1pm in the Birch Room. Finally a chance to meet all those people you have been chatting with for all those years!

Free badge holder/lanyard (and pizza, ssshht - Pinsiders only)
    Please RSVP before October 12th by sending a PM to JJ at Game Exchange. He will prepare your badge and make sure there's pizza for you. Over 170 Pinsiders are coming to Expo. I hope a large percentage of them will come and say hi!

Oh, and friday afternoon is our official Pinside seminar: "past, present and future of Pinside.com", at 5pm.

1 week later
    #336 9 years ago
    Quoted from MarkH-555:

I will offer a set up to someone from Pinside at Expo, in an official binder and sleeved cards. Will leave it to Robin to figure out who gets it at the Expo, drawing or whatever....

Cool! We could hold a drawing at the Pinside get-together on thursday 1pm? Will you be there, Mark?

#350 9 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

What time will we back from the Stern tour? Sorry if I missed that?

Hopefully in time for the Pinside meet 'n' greet

#354 9 years ago

58 Pinsiders, that gonna be a lot of people to meet

Everyone who RSVPd for the meet 'n' greet, as you may know you will get a free Pinside/Gexchange lanyard with Pinside badge (printed for you), so if you're gonna be there, and haven't PM'd Gexchange yet, no is the time!

The deadline for this is monday at 1159 pm Denver time. After that we won't be able to print any more badges.

#356 9 years ago

Sorry, no. You'll need to get into Expo first. The meet 'n' greet itself is free though

#357 9 years ago

Meanwhile, in Amsterdam: Ready for takeoff!

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #368 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Totally informal and unstructured.

What? I thought we were going to be discussing Pinside world domination plans

Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Really nice of you to do this for everyone...

Absolutely, JJ worked pretty hard on setting this up. I got to see all iterations of the badges printed at several sizes to fit different badge holders. But I think we finally got it right. And the Gexchange/Pinside lanyards look awesome!

#398 9 years ago

The meet 'n' greet was fun! Hope you enjoyed the pizza! I think we finished al 16 of 'em.

So big thanks to all who showed up. So did anyone take any pictures?

#408 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Get him to autograph that card.
    I was talking to Robin, and he LOVES giving out autographs.

Especially shirts!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2014-meet-the-pinside-team?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.