(Topic ID: 98235)

Pinball Expo 2014 - Come and meet the Pinside team!

By robin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 433 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20141017_175432.jpg
    IMG_20141016_093541.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-503.jpg
    image.jpg
    Iphone 2014 005.JPG
    image.jpg
    index-678.jpeg
    20140918_071225.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.46.29.png
    lanyard-concept-70.jpg
    Pinside ID badge.jpg
    image.jpg
    2014 Layout.png
    2013 Layout.png
    PPM.jpg

There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 5 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

Although, at dinner tonight, she told me I should go to Expo... hmmmm....

Hey you might die young and not have to worry about it being held against you for a long time.

Quoted from labnip:

What day is the Stern tour?

Thursday, 9am.

LTG : )

#252 5 years ago

Dang I'm getting antsy for this. Can't wait...

#253 5 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

yeah, i guess so. it's a bucket list kinda 'thang. missed them during the 80's.
    Duran Duran is the 1st weekend in November too. They're playing inside the Austin City Limits (pbs) studio
    Although, at dinner tonight, she told me I should go to Expo... hmmmm....
    Could I go up Wed or Thur, and fly back on Sat to catch the concert ?
    What day is the Stern tour?

I haven't missed a duran2 show since the 80's. a few years back, they couldn't sell out a small venue for their 'red carpet massacre' tour, so we ended up with free tickets in the balcony of a place that had fantastic acoustics.

#254 5 years ago

It's on the schedule for Friday.

5:00 p.m. “Pinside Get Together”
    Speaker: Robin van Mourik & Staff

#255 5 years ago

Just got a room! I'll be there!!!Yea!!!

#256 5 years ago

How did you do that. I tried to get a room a few days ago and they said the hotel was sold out?

#257 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

How did you do that. I tried to get a room a few days ago and they said the hotel was sold out?

They've had a few cancellations, but only certain ones at the hotel know how to book them! Try calling 18477776515 and ask for Grant! I was also told they were sold out, but when I got Grant on the phone, he found a few rooms! He said they might have 1 or 2 more! Good luck!!!

#258 5 years ago

I should be in late wednesday so that I can hit the stern factory tour thursday morning. do I need to pre-pay for the tour early?

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crashnburn:

It's on the schedule for Friday.
    5:00 p.m. “Pinside Get Together”
    Speaker: Robin van Mourik & Staff

Robin will be talking at that meet.
    We are still finalizing details for a couple of casual meet and greets. Courtesy of Mike P and Expo.

#260 5 years ago

To avoid confusion, I have asked Rob Berk to change our Friday 5:00pm seminar title to “Pinside.com - Past, present and future” - it's not as much a get-together but will be a talk about the history of Pinside.com, the current state and where we're going with the site (world domination!). My brother is gonna be there as well and there will be 5 moderators joining us, fun times!

We are also going to be organizing a Pinside meet n' greet, called the "Pinside - Away from keyboard get-together” on Thursday at 1:00pm in the Birch Room (not on the schedule yet) - This will be an event for Pinsiders to meet up and shake hands (or have beers with old foes). Note: this event will not be moderated

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

To avoid confusion, I have asked Rob Berk to change our Friday 5:00pm seminar title to “Pinside.com - Past, present and future” - it's not as much a get-together but will be a talk about the history of Pinside.com, the current state and where we're going with the site (world domination!). My brother is gonna be there as well and there will be 5 moderators joining us, fun times!
    We are also going to be organizing a Pinside meet n' greet, called the "Pinside - Away from keyboard get-together” on Thursday at 1:00pm in the Birch Room (not on the schedule yet) - This will be an event for Pinsiders to meet up and shake hands (or have beers with old foes). Note: this event will not be moderated

i'll bring 'tilt' cards to the meet-up

#262 5 years ago

Nice job on the badges Robin.

#263 5 years ago

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention, you can now generate your own Pinside event badge.

I'm still looking into generating the correct size. does anyone know what the most common badge holder sizes are?

#264 5 years ago

Cool! It works! Not that I'm surprised.
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.46.29.png

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention, you can now generate your own Pinside event badge.
    I'm still looking into generating the correct size. does anyone know what the most common badge holder sizes are?

When I went to expo in 2012 they used 3"Hx4"W name cards inside the badge holder sleeve.
    20140918_071225.jpg

#266 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tekman:

When I went to expo in 2012 they used 3"Hx4"W name cards inside the badge holder sleeve.

Hmm, okay, that's only completely different

How should I tackle this? I based my design on the most common badge holder size. Should I add a preset dropdown box with some predefined sizes? Which?

#267 5 years ago

Good question. Only people who preregister would have that size holder. I guess what you already have is more universal and still fits nicely in the sleeve.

#268 5 years ago

The badge looks great.

#269 5 years ago

Yep 3x4 is the most common size I think?

#270 5 years ago

Does anyone have details on expobrawl for this year?

I posted in the other thread but no response.

It sounds like it will be a bit shorter this year but still no real details to be found anywhere.

#271 5 years ago

Pairs for pingolf is my understanding

#272 5 years ago

So what is the best hotel close to the Westin for those that missed out on getting a reservation at the Westin?

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

They've had a few cancellations, but only certain ones at the hotel know how to book them! Try calling 18477776515 and ask for Grant! I was also told they were sold out, but when I got Grant on the phone, he found a few rooms! He said they might have 1 or 2 more! Good luck!!!

I was able to get a room today thanks to that information. Thank you.

#274 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

So what is the best hotel close to the Westin for those that missed out on getting a reservation at the Westin?

The closest nice hotel I can think of would be the Holiday Inn Express:

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/riverwoods/chirw/hoteldetail

There is also an Embassy Suites a little further down Lake Cook Road:

http://www.embassysuitesdeerfield.com/

Both hotels are just minutes from the Westin. There are a bunch of really crappy motels on Milwaukee in Wheeling that you definitely DO NOT want to stay at.

#275 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Yep 3x4 is the most common size I think?

Yes, 3x4 is the most common size.

#276 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

I was able to get a room today thanks to that information. Thank you.

Great! Glad to help! See you there!!!

#277 5 years ago

The Pinside Meet and Greet is officially on the EXPO schedule. Thursday 1PM . Hope to see you all there!

Thanks Mike P for accommodating us.

#278 5 years ago

I won't be able to make it to Expo until sometime Saturday morning, and I'll stay for a few hours before grabbing a flight back to LA. But I hope to be able to run into people while I'm there!

#279 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I won't be able to make it to Expo until sometime Saturday morning, and I'll stay for a few hours before grabbing a flight back to LA. But I hope to be able to run into people while I'm there!

it would be a pity if I missed you again.

#280 5 years ago

Don't listen to any New Yorkers and pizza.

I'm from neither place, have had pizza from both places numerous times, and it isn't even close.

Chicago>New York.

#281 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

The Pinside Meet and Greet is officially on the EXPO schedule. Thursday 1PM . Hope to see you all there!
    Thanks Mike P for accommodating us.

Cool! Then it's official!

The Pinside "Away from Keyboard" meet n' greet will be at Pinball Expo Chicago on Thursday, 1pm in the Birch Room. Thanks Mike P for allowing us to host our get-together

So what is the Pinside Meet n' Greet? Finally a chance to meet all those people you have been chatting with for all those years!

The Meet n' Greet is proudly sponsored by Game Exchange. Co-hosts: Skypilot and Robin.

Free badge holder/lanyard (and pizza, ssshht - Pinsiders only)
    Please RSVP before October 12th by sending a PM to JJ at Game Exchange. He will prepare your badge and make sure there's pizza for you. Yes, you read that right: RSVP for free pizza!

Over 170 Pinsiders are coming to Expo. I hope a large percentage will come and say hi!

Pinsiders only!
    You can download and print your Pinside badge here. JJ will provide the lanyards and badge holders. No badge? No pizza

#283 5 years ago

Sweet! To Clarify Please print your own badges if you can, I will bring badge holders and Lanyards. If you Don't have a printer or maybe a Color Printer reach out to me and I will try and print them for you. You may have to email them to me in a PDF as I'm not sure I can print your badge using the Templet. Think only the user can print there own?

Look forward to the event! I will Reply to each of the RSVP's when I enter them into my Spread sheet. If you do not get a reply in 3 days of sending please send again.

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Pizza for breakfast?

Only if your getting up at 12:30 PM

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

it would be a pity if I missed you again.

Haha, I know, right? You were in my backyard and I didn't see you!

#286 5 years ago

i'll be there!!!

#287 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Are you coming to Expo too?If you are coming to Expo, please visit the event page and push the big "I'm Going" button!

I went to the event page and clicked on the "I'm Going" button but nothing happens.

Anyway, I lived about 5 miles from the Westin until 2011 and moved out of town. Now I'm in the process of moving back. Don't know if I'll have everything moved up here by show time but will be at the Expo regardless. No booth this year though but will have parts for those who want some without shipping charges.

I also plan to bring a game to the show. Can you guess what it will be? lol

By the way, the Chicago steak houses are right up there with any in the country and they are very expensive too but you get what you pay for but the things that really stand out in the windy city are the Italian Beef, Pizza, and of course Chicago Hot Dogs.

I've lived all around the country and Philly and New York ain't got nothin' on Chicago when it comes to Italian Beef.

One of my favorites is Portillos where I usually get their Italian Combo (Italian Beef & Italian Sausage Combo Sandwich). Absolute heaven on a bun!!

http://www.portillos.com/portillos/

Chicago is known for deep-dish pizza but that's not the only kind you can get. The "Chicago Thin" crust is pizza nirvana too.

My favorite Chicago (Wheeling) Area Pizza Joints are:

Lou Malnati's
    http://www.loumalnatis.com/

Giordano's
    http://giordanos.com/

Ginos East
    http://www.ginoseast.com/

Chicago is famous for hot dogs and they are some of the best (Vienna Beef) and most-famous in America but I have to admit that one city rules over Chicago for hot dogs (and it isn't New York or Philly or anything west of the Mississippi).

The absolute best hot dogs in America come from................... Toledo, Ohio!!

Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot Dogs are second to none!!!

The same hot dogs Corporal Klinger (Jamie Farr) had flown into Korea on an episode of the TV sitcom M*A*S*H. The hot dogs are to kill for and the chilli sauce is too. If you are ever in Toledo stop into Tony Packos for the best dog in America.

http://www.tonypacko.com/

#290 5 years ago

Thinking about bringing the wife and my two boys on Saturday.

Is it worth it for a 6 and 8 year old? They like pinball, but I don't know if it would be "too" much pinball for them. No such thing for me...but not sure they'd agree.

#291 5 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Is it worth it for a 6 and 8 year old? They like pinball, but I don't know if it would be "too" much pinball for them. No such thing for me...but not sure they'd agree.

They'll dig the parts and booths and especially the custom pins. Then you can hit the freeplay for a bit until they've had enough and leave. If that's enough for you then I would bring them.

#292 5 years ago

for those of you who are still looking for a hotel.

I found a hotel that is close to and walking distance to westin hotel

Olde Court Inn
    374 N. Milwaukee Ave
    Wheeling, IL 60090
    oldecourtinn@aol.com

I have stayed there before and seems decent. for $70 buck a night its not bad at all.

the reviews are decent when I search in google.

I have reserved a room there for myself for 4 nights for this event.

#293 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I went to the event page and clicked on the "I'm Going" button but nothing happens.
    Anyway, I lived about 5 miles from the Westin until 2011 and moved out of town. Now I'm in the process of moving back. Don't know if I'll have everything moved up here by show time but will be at the Expo regardless. No booth this year though but will have parts for those who want some without shipping charges.
    I also plan to bring a game to the show. Can you guess what it will be? lol
    By the way, the Chicago steak houses are right up there with any in the country and they are very expensive too but you get what you pay for but the things that really stand out in the windy city are the Italian Beef, Pizza, and of course Chicago Hot Dogs.
    I've lived all around the country and Philly and New York ain't got nothin' on Chicago when it comes to Italian Beef.
    One of my favorites is Portillos where I usually get their Italian Combo (Italian Beef & Italian Sausage Combo Sandwich). Absolute heaven on a bun!!
    http://www.portillos.com/portillos/
    Chicago is known for deep-dish pizza but that's not the only kind you can get. The "Chicago Thin" crust is pizza nirvana too.
    My favorite Chicago (Wheeling) Area Pizza Joints are:
    Lou Malnati's
    http://www.loumalnatis.com/
    Giordano's
    http://giordanos.com/
    Ginos East
    http://www.ginoseast.com/
    Chicago is famous for hot dogs and they are some of the best (Vienna Beef) and most-famous in America but I have to admit that one city rules over Chicago for hot dogs (and it isn't New York or Philly or anything west of the Mississippi).
    The absolute best hot dogs in America come from................... Toledo, Ohio!!
    Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot Dogs are second to none!!!
    The same hot dogs Corporal Klinger (Jamie Farr) had flown into Korea on an episode of the TV sitcom M*A*S*H. The hot dogs are to kill for and the chilli sauce is too. If you are ever in Toledo stop into Tony Packos for the best dog in America.
    http://www.tonypacko.com/

Thanks for the Food update. This will help me quite a bit. I will try and pick on of these places.

JJ

#294 5 years ago

I second

...mouth just started watering.

In all fairness, I'm not a native Chicagoan and haven't tried the others, but I have a hard time going anywhere besides Lou's now. Ha-ha!

Two more cents,
    Ryan

#295 5 years ago

The ones that are withing a few miles of the Westin are.

and south down Milwaukee is

Superdawg
    http://www.superdawg.com/

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I second

...mouth just started watering.
    In all fairness, I'm not a native Chicagoan and haven't tried the others, but I have a hard time going anywhere besides Lou's now. Ha-ha!
    Two more cents,
    Ryan

I agree Lou's is the best, Giordano's is the worst of the big three. Then again they're all big blocks of melted cheese so it's never too bad. But no one really eats Deep Dish in Chicago unless you've got friends visiting from out of town.

Who's down for pinball in the city on Monday or Tuesday night?

#297 5 years ago

Does Lou's deliver a Chicago Stuffed Deep Dish to the hotel?

Trying to plan my weekend....

Pete

#298 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

But no one really eats Deep Dish in Chicago unless you've got friends visiting from out of town.

We order deep dish from Lou's at least once a month.

Lou's is awesome, but if you're trying to feed a lot of people, it's not very cost effective. Their deep dish is damn expensive. You're probably better off going with thin crust for a group that size. Plus, thin crust is just easier to eat in a casual setting. D'Agostino's has great thin crust pizza, and they are right down the street from the Westin.

#299 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

We order deep dish from Lou's at least once a month.
    Lou's is awesome, but if you're trying to feed a lot of people, it's not very cost effective. Their deep dish is damn expensive. You're probably better off going with thin crust for a group that size. Plus, thin crust is just easier to eat in a casual setting. D'Agostino's has great thin crust pizza, and they are right down the street from the Westin.

But, Lou's has good thin crust too...if you dare commit such a crime in not ordering their deep dish.

#300 5 years ago

Does anyone know how to print these pinside badges to the proper size or what the proper size is? I clicked on the link and it brought me there but when I go to print it wants to print it as a full page using the full 8.5"x11". Any info on this?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 295.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 3.00
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.99
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 209.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside