New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 98235)

Pinball Expo 2014 - Come and meet the Pinside team!

By robin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 433 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20141017_175432.jpg
    IMG_20141016_093541.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-503.jpg
    image.jpg
    Iphone 2014 005.JPG
    image.jpg
    index-678.jpeg
    20140918_071225.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.46.29.png
    lanyard-concept-70.jpg
    Pinside ID badge.jpg
    image.jpg
    2014 Layout.png
    2013 Layout.png
    PPM.jpg

There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Great! I already had dinner today, but might order it tomorrow. How long does it take to deliver to The Netherlands?

If you are willing to pay; two days.

#102 6 years ago

Great that so many are coming. Counter is already over 80!

I just got this in the mail from Rob Berk, pretty cool so I figured I'd post it here. There will be a seminar about the visible pinball, a totally clear EM pinball machine that let's you see the logic (and magic) that happens inside an EM game. I'm looking forward to see this cool piece of pinball art

Here's the press release:
    Photo credit: Kevin Tiell

Visible Pinball & Video Kiosk with Animation of Reset Sequence:
    1. The centerpiece of the Science of Pinball Exhibition. This is a totally clear pinball machine rebuilt from a 1976 Gottlieb Surf Champ. The exhibit examines the electrical, mechanical and physical engineering of a sophisticated Pinball machine of the era. . The accompanying video explains a step at a time, what happens when you press the replay button to begin playing a new game. This is an introduction to electromechanical logic and mechanisms.

2. The Visible Pinball Mk II. Michael Schiess teamed up with Wade Krause to build the first clear pinball machine in 2005. This is the 2nd version based on Wade's idea for a 2 layer playfield with the translucent art screened in between. This is the most popular of all our exhibits, having been to the TED talks, ASTC and Maker Faires. It has been featured in Popular Mechanics as one of the most innovative pinball machines made. The Mark III model was purchased by the Exploratorium and is on permanent display in San Francisco.

3. The Visible Pinball was built by Michael Schiess and Wade Krause for the Pacific Pinball Museum as the premier exhibit for their Science of Pinball series. Discover how this beautiful piece has been inspiring an interest in engineering, art and physics. Learn about how it was made, the people involved and the techniques for machining the parts and their assembly in a photographic history documenting it's creation.

#103 6 years ago

That thing is going to need sooooooooo much Novus.

#104 6 years ago

I'm still undecided on whether to stay at the Westin or book another (half the price) place. If I can share a room at the Westin with 2 queen beds I may prefer to stay there. PM me if you're interested in sharing a room.

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I'm still undecided on whether to stay at the Westin or book another (half the price) place. If I can share a room at the Westin with 2 queen beds I may prefer to stay there. PM me if you're interested in sharing a room.

If you use the special Expo link, the room prices will be much more reasonable at around $125 per night for either a king or 2 queen beds.
    http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=1311184194&key=2C5B8

#106 6 years ago

Wish I was closer to the windy city....enjoy everyone!

#107 6 years ago

and yet another Dutch pinhead is going to the Expo! I am thinking..3 nights at the Westin and a few in Chicago Lets get blown away then!
    Hope to meet you all there!

#108 6 years ago

Sounds like this show will be bigger than the last few years. Anyone know if they plan to expand the room a little? Last year was a bit cramped with so many people walking around.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from DayDay:

Sounds like this show will be bigger than the last few years. Anyone know if they plan to expand the room a little? Last year was a bit cramped with so many people walking around.

Layout is supposed to be different this year. From what I heard after last years show, the room the seminars were in will be the freeplay room this year. Larger, closer to the loading dock. The hall that was exhibitors & freeplay last year (with a divider wall) is all exhibitors this year, and the seminars are across the hall in a room that was used by another event last year - like, across the hall where the bathrooms were behind the freeplay room. Plans may have changed by now, though, so don't take this as gospel or anything.

#110 6 years ago

Does anyone know how much for a cab ride from Ohare to the Westin?

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/area/transportation.html?propertyID=1724&language=en_US

$35 and $5 each extra.

I'd check with locals though, in real life might be a lot more.

#112 6 years ago

Yes we will have a seperate room for games this year.. MUch more space... and more vendors.. BIG BIG BIG

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Call a couple cab companies and request a quote for a fixed rate trip.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Call a couple cab companies and request a quote for a fixed rate trip.

Yup. Someone already suggested American Taxi for $30.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Yes we will have a seperate room for games this year.. MUch more space... and more vendors.. BIG BIG BIG

Very good news Mike. Thank you!

#116 6 years ago

I trust american taxi, they're very prompt and reliable. Hell, you can schedule a pickup on the website, and get text updates (when a driver has been assigned, and what his cellphone number is in case you need to contact him)

#117 6 years ago

Okay, I'm hoping somebody can clear something up for me...

My wife and I REALLY want to attend the expo this year. We can only attend on Wednesday, Thursday, and part of Friday since we have to fly home on Friday for our daughter's wedding that weekend. Looking at the expo website, it seems like nothing is open to schlubs like us until the night time when we can go in and just play some games.

Is that true? And if so, why is that? I'm gonna have to network with somebody who can get us a pass to see the whole thing or it isn't worth the 1500 bucks it's going to cost me to go. And that sucks because I was really excited to meet all the people that have helped me out for the past year...

Can anybody clear this up for me so I know if I'm booking a flight and hotel before it's all gone? Many thanks!

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Can anybody clear this up for me so I know if I'm booking a flight and hotel before it's all gone? Many thanks!

Email and ask. When this years schedule goes up, look it over. Thursday and Friday there are seminars during the day. Though I do believe outside of tournaments, the vendor hall and areas to play are in the evenings. Play pinball all night on 2 or 3 of them.

LTG : )

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Okay, I'm hoping somebody can clear something up for me...
    My wife and I REALLY want to attend the expo this year. We can only attend on Wednesday, Thursday, and part of Friday since we have to fly home on Friday for our daughter's wedding that weekend. Looking at the expo website, it seems like nothing is open to schlubs like us until the night time when we can go in and just play some games.
    Is that true? And if so, why is that? I'm gonna have to network with somebody who can get us a pass to see the whole thing or it isn't worth the 1500 bucks it's going to cost me to go. And that sucks because I was really excited to meet all the people that have helped me out for the past year...

Expo has the most screwed up and confusing schedule of any show EVER. I would say it is in no way worth 1500 bucks to go to Expo, let alone the limited amount of time you are able to make the trip. Save it for another year when you can attend the entire thing or go to a different show which meshes with your schedule better.

JMHO

#120 6 years ago

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Email and ask. When this years schedule goes up, look it over. Thursday and Friday there are seminars during the day. Though I do believe outside of tournaments, the vendor hall and areas to play are in the evenings. Play pinball all night on 2 or 3 of them.

Stern factory tour would be one of the early days too.

Whysnow - Have you been to Expo? There are tons of activities over the 5 days and there's always a schedule that lays out exactly what is happening and when. If you think that is confusing, then propose what would make it less confusing for everyone.

If you have an axe to grind for some reason, do it somewhere else. We're all in this for the betterment of our beloved hobby. Constructive criticism and suggestions are helpful to making shows better. Your first sentence is neither humble nor helpful to anyone.

#122 6 years ago

I have been to expo and I have provided my suggestions to both Mike and to his helpers.

have you looked at the home page for expo???? It must be one of the worst interfaces for a show.

http://pinballexpo.net/

Please tell me exactly what is going on what days and whom is allowed to attend each thing? Now please read it from the eyes of a first time attendee and see if you can understand it.

first I am told

"Wednesday, October 15th -- Sunday, October 19th, 2014."

next mention is
    "The Exhibit Hall will NOT be open during the day on Thursday and Friday. " so I guess this means it is not open on Thursday and Friday to general public???

then
    "THE EXHIBIT HALLS ARE OPEN THE FOLLOWING HOURS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC:
    WEDS OCT 15- GAMES HALL OPEN 6PM TO 11PM INCLUDES BUFFET DINNER
    THURSDAY OCT 16 EXHIBITOR AND GAME HALL OPEN 6PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT
    GAME HALL ONLY OPEN MIDNIGHT UNTIL 6 AM
    FRIDAY OCT 17- EXHIBITOR AND GAME HALL OPEN 6PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT
    GAMES HALL ONLY OPEN MIDNIGHT UNTIL 5 PM SATURDAY
    SATURDAY OCT 18 EXHIBITOR HALL OPENS AT 9AM AND GAME HALL STILL OPEN FROM FRIDAY NIGHT.
    VENDOR ALL WILL CLOSE AT 6PM SATURDAY BUT GAMES HALL WILL REMAIN OPEN DURING BANQUET. VENDOR HALL WILL REOPEN ABOUT 11PM AFTER BANQUET AND REMAIN OPEN UNTIL 4PM SUNDAY CLOSING."

I don't have the time to make a flow chart of what this wall of text tells the first timer but it is unclear, conflicting, inconsistent language use, and hard to read.

I can propose what would be less confusing which is the SAME thing I suggested to Mike 2 years ago and offered to do for free at that time >>
    1. Provide a map with clearly labeled names of what occurs in each room. Exhibit hall (or is that exhibotor hall?), games hall, seminars, etc are very confusing combined with the wall of text for someone that has not gone before. What is where?
    2. Provide a spread sheet for what happens on what days in what rooms and color code for activities and whom is allowed. Obviously this needs to be current for THIS year and not be info from last years event which seems to always been intermingled with stuff from this year all the way into Sept/Oct.
    3. Put up a tab about the games hall, activities, and times. Many first timers are coming to PLAY pinball and you should think about how you meet their needs and questions in advance.

When I offered to Mike 2 years ago to help I was shot down and made to seem like I was the jackass for offering to help and trying to explain how it was very confusing on the website for someone who had not been there before. From listening to others, this now seems like a common reaction from both organizers and staff. Nothing worse than a business that wants you to feel like they are the ones doing you a favor.

I have been to the majority of the midwest shows and if Expo continues with the same trend it has the past 2 years then I HIGHLY recommend for any 1st time visitor to evaluate what they want out of a show before spending 1k plus to attend. Expo is fun (in its own way), but many of the new people I know that have gone the past few years have left sorely disappointed, this is largely due to poor expectations (could be fixed with more clear info) and the decrease of good games available for play for the duration of the event combined with the less than helpful staff presence.

#123 6 years ago

Did you click on the "Expo Info, Schedule of Events & Seminars" link? It's not updated for 2014 yet, but it still gives people an idea of what is a typical day at Expo.

The .pdf is in color, formatted and looks much better than what I'm including below. How much more detail do you want? This was the Friday agenda from 2013. Other shows may be better at one area or another, but no other show offers as much as Expo does for a total pinball experience, including a tour of the Stern factory!

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18
    7:00 a.m. ExpoBrawl Pinball Tournament
    8:00 a.m. Registration - Foyer (8:00 a.m. - MIDNIGHT)
    8:10 a.m. OPENING REMARKS
    8:15 a.m. “Fun With Synchronicity & More Pinball Repair Tips” Speakers: “Dr. Scott” Sheridan & Ron Coon, Jr.
    8:45 a.m. “Ready?? ACTION!!! Working on Pinball for a Movie” Featuring: David Fix
    9:15 a.m. “P3 - Pinball for Today’s Consumers” Speaker: Gerry Stellenberg
    10:15 a.m. “Making of Bride of Pinbot 2.0” Speaker: Koen Heltzel & Barry Driessen
    10:45 a.m. “The Matrix Pinball - From 320GB to 25,000 Volts of BTU in 365 days” Speakers: Dennis van de Pas & Gerard van de Sanden
    11:15 a.m. “What’s Happening at Planetary Pinball?” (Featuring the PPS Game Show with $500 in Product Give-A-Ways) Speaker: Rick BartlettSeminars in the Lake Michigan Ballroom
    12 Noon BREAK FOR LUNCH
    1:00 p.m. Flip Out 2013 Continues
    1:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m. (Saturday) Trent Augenstein
    1:00 p.m. “Build A Game from Scratch with P-ROC” Speaker: Josh Kugler
    1:30 p.m. “P-ROC Panel Discussion and Q & A” Speakers: Skit-B, Josh Kugler & Eric Priepke & Scott Gullicks
    2:00 p.m. “The Making of the Pinball Arcade Game” Speakers: Bobby King and a Few FarSight Developers
    3:00 p.m. “The Magic of Magic Girl” Speaker: John Popadiuk
    4:00 p.m. “Spooky Pinball Presents: Hot Haunted Coeds!” With Steve Ritchie, Dennis Nordman, Bryan Kelly, Heather the Hot Accountant, & the Spooky Pinball Crew
    5:00 p.m. “The Development Team Behind XENON” Panelists: Greg Kmiec, Paul Faris, Tom Nieman, Allan Reizman, and special guest Suzanne Ciani Guest Moderator: Gary Flower
    6:00 p.m. EXHIBIT HALL OPENS
    7:00 p.m. “From the Basement to the End of the Earth with Skit-B-Pinball” Speakers: Kevin Kulek and Aaron Davis
    7:30 p.m. “Skill Shot Pinball - Turning Your Pinball Design Into Reality” Speakers: Barry Shilmover and Aaron Davis
    8:00 p.m. “An Evening With Stern Pinball” (Lake Michigan Ballroom)

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Expo has the most screwed up and confusing schedule of any show EVER. I would say it is in no way worth 1500 bucks to go to Expo, let alone the limited amount of time you are able to make the trip. Save it for another year when you can attend the entire thing or go to a different show which meshes with your schedule better.

Geesh! Do you ever have anything positive to say about anything! I think in 2015 you should start your own pinball manufacturing company, Start your own pinball exposition event and set the going rate for used TAF playfields.
    Sorry I forgot you already did number three. Dude step back and breathe.

#125 6 years ago

EXpo offers more to do than ANY show on earth. There are only 24 hours in a day YEs due to tour seminars etc the GAme hall is NOT open during day on Thursday and friday It IS open all night UNLIKE any show. AS well we have opened it NOW as in last year during the banquet SO its open all day and night SATURDAY.. Like 24 hours or more in a row?? I will gladly accept someone that wants to make anything CLEARER please email me direct at mgpacak at aol dot com MAny of the vendors are involved with the seminars and its imposible to be in 2 places at one time...

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Geesh! Do you ever have anything positive to say about anything! I think in 2015 you should start your own pinball manufacturing company, Start your own pinball exposition event and set the going rate for used TAF playfields.
    Sorry I forgot you already did number three. Dude step back and breathe.

I will happily give positive comments where due. In this case I am providing my opinions in order to help other first timers that are potentially thinking about going and spending lots of time and money to do so. I think this is a very positive thing.

If you want the positives about expo:
    It is more about the overall experience and the people you hang out with which is great. Get drunk and arm wrestle late night at the glory hole booth with CF Good times and you will laugh more than you have all year.

The P-roc/ botique games is reason alone to seek out the trip. I will be attending JUST for this alone, but I also am within driving distance and can make a day trip out of it.

Assuming PBL does a free appreciation thing the same weekend, this actually adds to expo for me. Great opportunity to hang and enjoy the company at PBL which is a really cool thing! Also, it is free (or was last year).

Some seminars are pretty cool (however the cost to attend when only interested in one or 2 is pretty pricey).

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

EXpo offers more to do than ANY show on earth. There are only 24 hours in a day YEs due to tour seminars etc the GAme hall is NOT open during day on Thursday and friday It IS open all night UNLIKE any show. AS well we have opened it NOW as in last year during the banquet SO its open all day and night SATURDAY.. Like 24 hours or more in a row?? I will gladly accept someone that wants to make anything CLEARER please email me direct at mgpacak at aol dot com MAny of the vendors are involved with the seminars and its imposible to be in 2 places at one time...

I think one thing that would help with understanding the schedule is clear and consistent names for each part of the show. Vendor Hall. Game Room. Seminar Room. Then maybe a timeline type schedule that shows the blocks of time that the vendor hall and game room are open.

But any time someone gives constructive criticism you tend to just repeat the same defensive stuff about the show in run on sentences with random caps lock.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Assuming PBL does a free appreciation thing the same weekend

Terry has voiced he may not continue doing it, but that was also right after the last one (opinions change). I don't know if it's just too much work or what, but I hope he continues to. I mean I would think the increase in orders alone makes it worth doing.

#129 6 years ago

Also when in Chicago, you have to try Taco Bell, it's awesome!

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Also when in Chicago, you have to try Taco Bell, it's awesome!

And Hardees ..... YUM!!!

#131 6 years ago

isn't Taco Bell everywhere the same? Like Mc whos name should not be announced?

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Isn't Taco Bell everywhere the same?

Yes. He was joking.

#133 6 years ago

ahh he fooled me..allright.. but i woudnt mind taco to deliver some ''food'' when we play during the night though ..
    will they?

#134 6 years ago

it looks like I will be making the journey as well. this will be my first expo outside of michigan for me since I got into the hobby 15 years ago. it will definitely be nice to put faces to people who have been nothing but forum and email personas up until now

also:
    if anyone is [still] looking for a set of the joust playfield plastics, and we haven't sold out prior to expo, I will be more than willing to bring sets with me for "parking lot drug deals" , saving you about $40+ in shipping costs

#135 6 years ago

Wow. This is only a couple of miles from me. Anyone know at what age children need to have tickets? I have a 2 year old that I want to bring with me.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from el_brio:

Anyone know at what age children need to have tickets?

If not on the website, email them off the website and ask. pinballexpo.net

#137 6 years ago

Has anyone parked an RV or motorhome in the parking lot at the hotel for expo in the past? I would like to know anything y'all do about this possibility.

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Has anyone parked an RV or motorhome in the parking lot at the hotel for expo in the past? I would like to know anything y'all do about this possibility.

I think that it depends on if you plan on cooking any "blue ice" in said recreational vehicle on hotel property

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

There are a lot of trucks in the parking lot that folks drove in, as well as vehicles with trailers. But nobody living in any of them that I have ever noticed. The Westin is relatively upscale, I would guess they would not allow this.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

vehicles with trailers. But nobody living in any of them that I have ever noticed. The Westin is relatively upscale, I would guess they would not allow this.

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

There are a lot of trucks in the parking lot that folks drove in, as well as vehicles with trailers. But nobody living in any of them that I have ever noticed. The Westin is relatively upscale, I would guess they would not allow this.

No, no, upscale hotels allow RVs, you just have to pay. I am wondering who has done it if anyone has for expo.

#142 6 years ago

I've seen people do it there

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

1:00 p.m. “Build A Game from Scratch with P-ROC” Speaker: Josh Kugler
    1:30 p.m. “P-ROC Panel Discussion and Q & A” Speakers: Skit-B, Josh Kugler & Eric Priepke & Scott Gullicks

This stuff sounds great . Josh Kugler is Awsome ! Eric Priepke is also awesome ! I 'm sorry I do not know of Scott Gullicks But if He is on a panel with Eric and Josh I'm sure he is awesome as well ( Super Rad at the very least )

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

This stuff sounds great . Josh Kugler is Awsome ! Eric Priepke is also awesome ! I 'm sorry I do not know of Scott Gullicks But if He is on a panel with Eric and Josh I'm sure he is awesome as well ( Super Rad at the very least )

As a note, this was just a sample I pulled from the 2013 Expo page.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Stay at the Westin.....nothing like waking up at 2am and being able to go downstairs and play pinball! Even more important, after a few (or more) adult beverages and some pinball, not having to drive to your room is worth its eeight in gold.

#146 6 years ago

Sorry to RE-rail this topic, but I've just gotta say; I'm so stoked that Robin and his brother will be at Expo this year. I hope they get treated like royalty for building such a feature-packed place for all of us pinheads to congregate, share knowledge, and meet like-minded hobbyists. I'm pretty certain I speak for all of us when I say that this online bastian of pin knowledge and camaraderie has enriched my life over the past few years. Can't wait to thank you in person, Robin!

See you (and hopefully a bunch of other pinsiders) at Expo,
    Ryan "Guy with the One-Year-Old Son at Expo" Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I hope they get treated like royalty

Already planning it. Blood initiation, goat ride, everything.

LTG : )™

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Already planning it. Blood initiation, goat ride, everything.

Did you arrange a marriage with one of their 13 year old relatives for them ?

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Did you arrange a marriage with one of their 13 year old relatives for them ?

Not yet. Best offer is a 82 year old toothless one, not sure what sex.

LTG : )™

#150 6 years ago

I would chime in here to tell you how funny this exchange is, but I don't want to ruin the flow--

Oh, wait!...

Damn.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Electronics
    PIN-UPS
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.50
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 218.00
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,295.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 229.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside