(Topic ID: 98235)

Pinball Expo 2014 - Come and meet the Pinside team!

By robin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 433 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141017_175432.jpg
    IMG_20141016_093541.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-503.jpg
    image.jpg
    Iphone 2014 005.JPG
    image.jpg
    index-678.jpeg
    20140918_071225.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.46.29.png
    lanyard-concept-70.jpg
    Pinside ID badge.jpg
    image.jpg
    2014 Layout.png
    2013 Layout.png
    PPM.jpg
    There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm happy to announce that the Pinside is coming to Pinball Expo (for the first time!)

Honestly i think you should have waited till spring and went to the Midwest gaming classic in Brookfield much nicer show. The Expo is always such a disapointment in comparison with the exception of having a better vendor hall.

#52 9 years ago

Awesome thread. I am going to try to go as well. Allentown 2014 was my first ever expo. TOTAL BLAST! Can't imagine how great Chi-Town will be.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can make it. It would be great to meet you all.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Honestly i think you should have waited till spring and went to the Midwest gaming classic in Brookfield much nicer show. The Expo is always such a disapointment in comparison with the exception of having a better vendor hall.

Expo is kind of special to me. When I first got into pinball, around 1998-1999 scouring the internet for any info I could find about pinball machine, I remember first reading about the Pinball Expo event. Chicago, city of pinball. The Factory tour, meeting all the designers, playing rare games, that big hall full of machines. I never thought I would make it there at some point. Now, I finally had the opportunity to visit a show and, even better, attending its 30th anniversary! See, it just had to be Pinball Expo!

Quoted from Pinfidel:

It would be great to meet you all.

My thoughts exactly!

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Unfortunately they didn't, would be cool. Where was that thread again with that cool mockup

It was with Pinfest at Allentown, Pa. Not sure witch thread though

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

The Expo is always such a disapointment in comparison with the exception of having a better vendor hall.

While I love the excitement of MGC, the gamers add a lot to that show. and the pinball part keeps getting better and better.

Let us not forget Expo has the LTG : ) Show.

LTG : )™

#56 9 years ago

MGC is a great show BUT nothing compares to the action at PINBALL EXPO come on .. the tour the MANY MANY industry people there playing pinball all night?? gimme a brake The GREAT tournament THe vendors??? Autograph session GET REAL

#57 9 years ago

Last year was a blast,
    This year looks like it's going to be even better!

#58 9 years ago

i was there last year and i will be there this year and just like Robin/Martijn i will come all the way out from the Netherlands to attend this show

pinball pinball pinballllll

#59 9 years ago

Ok I'm in!.... And out : (
    Got shot down as I have a huge project starting then. Dang!!!!

#60 9 years ago

Find yourself a Portillos and get an Italian Beef. You won't be disappointed.

#61 9 years ago

If you make it downtown i would suggest Mastro's for a steak or goto Chinatown for Yum-cha )

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

MGC is a great show BUT nothing compares to the action at PINBALL EXPO come on .. the tour the MANY MANY industry people there playing pinball all night?? gimme a brake The GREAT tournament THe vendors??? Autograph session GET REAL

Yeah they had autographs at the MGC along with the Stern tour and you didnt have to pay for each to listen to the industry people. And MGC offers after party for everyone that brings games prolly explaines why the MGC still has machines to play on Sunday unlike the Expo lol. Like I said the Expo only realy has the Vendor hall with more pinball stuff for sale. But at the Expo it pay or everything as you go its obviously more about making money for the show than the people attending. And the machines at the MGC are usualy alot nicer than the ones i saw at the Expo and the people keep them working throughout the show.

#63 9 years ago

Dude! Dim sum Sunday morning!

#64 9 years ago

Remeber EXPO has a FREE dinner on weds night for ALL attendies and VENDORS as well Again MGC is great BUT most every pinball has been made in Chicago for years SO the amount of Industry people there is unparalled ALso we start on weds and are open ALL night for play.. The complete package for expo which includes the banquet which costs us what what charge is a fair price I believe for what all is given

#65 9 years ago

I hope every show makes money. Or next year - NO SHOW.

Every show is unique in many ways, but that one. I don't know of any show losing money year after year that is still going.

Go if you can and support them. That way we can do it again next year.

#66 9 years ago

Well, we can show Robin some appreciation and make this a real show. Expo has been waning but that doesn't mean that it isn't fun. I just wish they wouldn't close the game room, even to those who brought their own games, during whatever that tournament ordeal was. Sorry, I'm not a competitive pinball player and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get to the games I brought. Also, if someone wants to return my "Lincoln Tech" Fluke 115 multimeter a year after borrowing it during last year's show, I'd appreciate it.

#67 9 years ago

I'm working on going. Need to stop getting pins to save up the $$ to go. I guess I could sleep in my car.

#68 9 years ago

In what ways is EXPO waning?? just because some years wemight only have like 200 games?? This year will be greater believe me.. I will work on allowing people that bring games accses. But again as far as limiting others COME ON what other show is open all night for 3 nights?? Someone give Expo credit for that please What other show gives FREE big time dinner like we do on weds??

#69 9 years ago

Let's not forget Expo has the contest to design the 30th Anniversary tee shirt with the fabulous prize for the winner.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Let's not forget Expo has the contest to design the 30th Anniversary tee shirt with the fabulous prize for the winner.

Actually I was hoping we could forget about that.

#71 9 years ago

I always have a good time at Expo.

Some of my closest friends are people I randomly stumbled into at Expo. It's the people that make any show, and I am really looking forward to this year's Expo.

It has a great vendor hall, and while game quality can vary greatly, there's always something cool/rare to see every year.

It's way too easy to focus on negatives in any show. It's the 30th Expo, It'll be full of pinsiders, and there will be plenty of pins to play. If you can't find something there that will make you happy...that probably says more about you than the show.

Pete

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

just because some years we might only have like 200 games??

If my memory serves correctly, there was barely 70 games in the hall last year (at least by Saturday afternoon). I think Terry nearly beat that number in his small warehouse gathering. Not that playing pinball is necessarily a priority to most people.

Nonetheless, anyone that works hard and risks money to put on a pinball expo is a good person in my book. Every pinball show is a little different, it's worth going to as many as you can.

#73 9 years ago

Support both the MGC and Expo, if you can.

I'm not sure what the big deal is.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

If my memory serves correctly, there was barely 70 games in the hall last year (at least by Saturday afternoon).

According to Pinball News : Exhibit Hall 69, Game Room 74. 10 or so out front for the tournament. A few in the long hallway. And a couple in Rob's room.

#75 9 years ago

Expo is like a family reunion to me I have ALOT of very good friends from the past 29 years of Expo.. AS said all shows are great BUT expo still offers the MOST variety of things to do than ANY SHOW.. and the most HOURS by far....

#76 9 years ago

I don't know what the value is in having people go back and forth about what show is better. Robin made his decision, and so the focus should be on that part of the event, not whatever other complaints or suggestions about the show.

The last three times I've been to Expo (I know I missed last year), I can count the number of games I played on one hand total. I could care less if there were 2 games there or 2500, it's less about that for me and more about seeing and talking with people who share a common bond.

Expo offers some unique things, and if seeing Robin in person doesn't convince you that it is a show you want to attend, check out the web site, see if the different things that are there are up your alley, and if so go. If not, you can look at other show web sites, and determine which one best suits your tastes. Or, maybe shows aren't your thing, and then you just don't need to go. No one is forcing you.

I always personally wish that Expo fell a couple weeks later, as it is always at the most impossible time of the year for me to go, but I've managed to make it down there something like 11 times in the past 14 years.

#77 9 years ago

Hi robin, living like 125 km away for each other it looks like we will be meeting each other first time like 5000 km away from our homes

Me and Winfred de Ruijter are going also for first time. First expo and than NY with visiting JJP and NY.
    Don't know if it is already mentioned but DP is having a VIP Party to. Do you know members of DP team?

On my wish list for the spinner is still an interview with you

Don't forget to put DPO on your agenda to for 1+2 November !!

Regards

Rens Hooijmaijers
    Member NFV and DPO team

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Hi robin, living like 125 km away for each other it looks like we will be meeting each other first time like 5000 km away from our homes

125km = That's about 75 miles for those of you that refuse to acknowledge the metric system.

Also, that's hilarious! Nothing like flying across the world to meet someone that lives a little over an hour away.

Pete

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

The last three times I've been to Expo (I know I missed last year), I can count the number of games I played on one hand total. I could care less if there were 2 games there or 2500, it's less about that for me and more about seeing and talking with people who share a common bond.

My thoughts exactly. Although there are some rare games that I would love to have a game on. But it's mostly about meeting people.

Quoted from Rensh:

Me and Winfred de Ruijter are going also for first time. First expo and than NY with visiting JJP and NY.
    Don't know if it is already mentioned but DP is having a VIP Party to. Do you know members of DP team?

That's so cool! Looking forward to meeting you. Winfred I already spoke to at the last DPO!

Lots of parties! To be honest, I don't know any of the DP members very well. I spoke to Jean Paul briefly at a book presentation in Amsterdam. Oh, and I spoke to Jules when I sold him my Bally Atlantis earlier this year. Cool people.

Quoted from Rensh:

On my wish list for the spinner is still an interview with you

Bring it on!
    Come over for Dinner, bring other NFV'ers . We can play some pinball too.

Quoted from Rensh:

Don't forget to put DPO on your agenda to for 1+2 November !!

You can add the event, simply go to the events page and click the "add event" link. The advantage of being the creator is the ability to change details later without the need to ask me.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

125km = That's about 75 miles for those of you that refuse to acknowledge the metric system.

What is "the metric system"? Is it similar to "The Northstar System"?

#81 9 years ago

The metric system... Pretty sure most of us can quickly and easily convert between grams and ounces...

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The metric system... Pretty sure most of us can quickly and easily convert between grams and ounces...

Think big; Kilos

#83 9 years ago

Great idea on the meet & greet. Too bad I have to miss this year's expo.

#85 9 years ago

This is close to me and will be my first time attending even if I can only get there for Saturday. Really looking forward to a great time.

#86 9 years ago

I'll be there representing Pinball Magazine
    Santiago Ciuffo's PINBALL book will be available at stands of Pacific Pinball Museum and other vendors.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I'll be there representing Pinball Magazine
    Santiago Ciuffo's PINBALL book will be available at stands of Pacific Pinball Museum and other vendors.

Wait...didn't you just get home from a tour of the States? And you're coming back in two months? You're a better man than I...we were going to come to the Netherlands next month, but decided to hold off until tulip season (one of the hazards of being married!).

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

In what ways is EXPO waning???

I could have used a better word, I suppose. What I meant is that the opinion on the forums the past few years post-show seems to be mixed to negative. Not my personal opinion but to those on this forum who are of that opinion, I say a show is often what you make of it. Bring a game, have fun and don't take it away until Sunday evening.

#90 9 years ago

Glad to read your coming to Chi town Robin. Look forward to meeting you.

As a local here's the best eats - trust me on this:

Pizza - Lou Malnati's for thick or Joe's pizza (just down street from Expo) for thin. Giordanos, Uno's are good but overhyped. Lou's is it for pan pizza.

Italian Beef - Johnnies Beef (Italian Ice rocks too) & second place runner up Portillos

Hamburger - Paradise Pup

Hot Dog (Chicago style) - Portillo's (and grab some cheese fries)

Steak: Morton's. Ruth Kris, Houston's and Lawry's all get a nod too.

#91 9 years ago

There's a new restaurant that recently opened up in the parking lot of the Westin called Spears. They specialize in bourbon and craft beers, and they also have some damn good food. I've eaten there a few times, and I like it way more than any of the other restaurants close to the hotel such as Ram, Twin Peaks, Cooper's Hawk, etc ...

http://spearschicago.com/

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I like Houston's a lot, but I'm pretty sure the one in Chicago closed years ago. J. Alexander's, which is not far from the Westin at all, is very similar to Houston's. They have one of the best french dip sandwiches I've ever had.

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Wait...didn't you just get home from a tour of the States? And you're coming back in two months? You're a better man than I...we were going to come to the Netherlands next month, but decided to hold off until tulip season (one of the hazards of being married!).

Yep, just got back. Part 3 of my travel report is available on www.pinball-magazine.com since last night. Technically Expo is in 3 months Wouldn't miss it for the world. Let me know when you're in The Netherlands.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Pizza - Lou Malnati's for thick or Joe's pizza (just down street from Expo) for thin. Giordanos, Uno's are good but overhyped. Lou's is it for pan pizza.

I can vouch for the pizza at Lou Malnati's. Was in Chicago for business and the valet guy at the hotel (Hilton Indian Lakes resort - nice place) said it's the best so I couldn't pass it up. Lou's also ships 'assembly required' pizza's too so you can get it at home too!

#95 9 years ago

I'm also coming to the Expo so lots of people from Holland. We should rent our own plane!

#96 9 years ago

I saw this on an iFunny scroll today and thought of this thread. Sorry I can't post pictures from work...

http://weknowmemes.com/2014/03/come-to-chicago-for-the-food-stay-because-you-got-murdered/

Granted I would probably murder someone for some really really good Chicago pizza. I'm talking super thick, buttered crust, casserole-style, sauce on top pizza. We've got a local place that does a decent NY type pizza, but nobody does the Chicago style at all.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What is "the metric system"? Is it similar to "The Northstar System"?

Actually the Northstar System was designed as a way to navigate your way home after your Cadillac breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Italian Beef - Johnnies Beef (Italian Ice rocks too) & second place runner up Portillos
    Hamburger - Paradise Pup
    Hot Dog (Chicago style) - Portillo's (and grab some cheese fries)

I got fatter just reading that list

#99 9 years ago

If anyone watches "Mexico One Plate at a Time" the guy on there, Rick Bayless, has a few restaurants in Chicago as well. They are all, obviously, Mexican based, but they are very good. Here is a link to his site, Frontera Grill was his first one and still most popular, I think.

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/

Phil

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Lou's also ships 'assembly required' pizza's too so you can get it at home too!

Great! I already had dinner today, but might order it tomorrow. How long does it take to deliver to The Netherlands?

There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2014-meet-the-pinside-team/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.