(Topic ID: 98235)

Pinball Expo 2014 - Come and meet the Pinside team!

By robin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 433 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141017_175432.jpg
    IMG_20141016_093541.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-503.jpg
    image.jpg
    Iphone 2014 005.JPG
    image.jpg
    index-678.jpeg
    20140918_071225.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.46.29.png
    lanyard-concept-70.jpg
    Pinside ID badge.jpg
    image.jpg
    2014 Layout.png
    2013 Layout.png
    PPM.jpg
    There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 9 years ago

Hi Pinside!

I'm happy to announce that the Pinside is coming to Pinball Expo (for the first time!)

My brother Martijn and I will be flying into Chicago on the 11th of October for some downtown sightseeing (and pinballing of course!) and then attend the 30th Pinball Expo at the Westin Chicago North Shore from 15-20 October.

Come see our seminar on Friday!
    The Pinside will be doing a seminar titled "Pinside: Past, Present and Future" on Friday at 5pm.

Are you coming to Expo too?
    If you are coming to Expo, please visit the event page and push the big "I'm Going" button!

The Pinside "Away from Keyboard" meet n' greet
    The first ever official Pinside meetup will be at Pinball Expo Chicago on Thursday, 1pm in the Birch Room. Thanks Mike P for allowing us to host our get-together

So what is this Pinside Meet n' Greet? Finally a chance to meet all those people you have been chatting with for all those years!

The Meet n' Greet is proudly sponsored by Game Exchange. Co-hosts: Skypilot and Robin.

« Some content hidden, only visible to registered Pinsiders » Over 170 Pinsiders are coming to Expo. I hope a large percentage will come and say hi!

Pinsiders only!
    You can download and print your Pinside badge here. JJ will provide the lanyards and badge holders. No badge? No pizza

...Do you have any tips for visiting Chicago? Pinball-related or not, feel free to post to this thread!

#2 9 years ago

Is this your first expo Robin?

#3 9 years ago

Great news, This will be my first EXPO also. Looking forward to it

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Is this your first expo Robin?

Yes, my first Expo and second time in the United States (after my 2012 trip to New York city).

#5 9 years ago

Make sure you stop over to Pinball Life for the party!

#6 9 years ago

My first pinball show. Cannot wait.
    Looking forward to partying with you all !!

#7 9 years ago

Ah, the first names are visible in the Expo event page "I'm Going" box. Don't forget to add yours if you are going!

#8 9 years ago

If we've had multiple ban warnings over the years are we still invited?

#9 9 years ago

Yes, especially then! I'm planning to bring some cones of shame!

cone_of_shame.jpgcone_of_shame.jpg

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

.Do you have any tips for visiting Chicago? Pinball-related or not,

Treat yourself to nice Chicago Beef dinner. Gene and Georgettis is my favorite but Harry Carys and the Chop House all do great steaks. Or prime rib at Lowrys.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yes, especially then! I'm planning to bring some cones of shame!

cone_of_shame.jpg 28 KB

We could call them TEEKEE Tuxes !

#13 9 years ago

Looking forward to meeting you and your brother. Just glad I won't have to wear one of those.

One place to checkout is Superdawg’s - original location is at 6363 N Milwaukee Ave.. It's a Chicago landmark.

#14 9 years ago

And while you're in Chicago, you *have* to go to Giordanos for pizza!

It'll be an interesting comparison to what pizza you may have had in NYC

#15 9 years ago

I'm confident you and your brother will have a great time over here in the USA.
    Stay close to all the friendly pinball people, and steer clear of any scammers/thugs/wackos.

Pinball Expo, Pinsider Meet-up Parties - sounds like good times!

#16 9 years ago

I'm going and looking forward to meeting all you guys!

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

And while you're in Chicago, you *have* to go to Giordanos for pizza!
    It'll be an interesting comparison to what pizza you may have had in NYC

That place is incredible. Went there last time in Chi-Town, and plan to eat there again.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That place is incredible. Went there last time in Chi-Town, and plan to eat there again.

Shakes head....

#19 9 years ago

Cool tips! All I had on my itinerary until now was the view from Sears tower (apparently it has another name now), the Navy Pier, and basically just gawking at all the skyscrapers.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

And while you're in Chicago, you *have* to go to Giordanos for pizza! It'll be an interesting comparison to what pizza you may have had in NYC

In NYC my dad and I were treated to fabulous pizza by Pinsider islandpinball at his hometown pizzeria in New Jersey. I will say this, it's gonna be hard to top those pizza's!

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Treat yourself to nice Chicago Beef dinner. Gene and Georgettis is my favorite but Harry Carys and the Chop House all do great steaks. Or prime rib at Lowrys.

Thanks for the tips!

Quoted from KoolFingers:

One place to checkout is Superdawg’s - original location is at 6363 N Milwaukee Ave.. It's a Chicago landmark.

Looks like a pretty good piece of Americana, worth checking out!

#20 9 years ago

I will be there..

#21 9 years ago

Those Chicago beef places have nothing on Peter Luger's in NYC...and they're all chains. Yuck.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Those Chicago beef places have nothing on Peter Luger's in NYC...and they're all chains. Yuck.

Ok, cant argue with Peter Lugers. My single favorite steakhouse in the country. But G&G and Harry Carrys buy the local beef and the steaks are great. PLs is a must for a NY trip.
    Lowrys is a great American Beef (Prime Rib) experience for folks from out of the States. Chains?

#23 9 years ago

What day is the Stern tour?

#24 9 years ago

I'll be sure to check one out when I'm there (only going for two nights, and one is pizza night!). Lawry's is a chain - we have one in NYC (and there's one in Vegas, etc.). Chains aren't all bad (we like the Strip House when we don't want to schlep to Brooklyn), but name the one you think is best in Chicago and I'm there!

#25 9 years ago

No doubt east coast pizza is good but....
    No other pizza in the "world" can compete with Chicago's
    Chicago style hot dogs, Italian beef places, etc.

Lot's to do and see downtown, world class art museum, museum of science and industry, shed aquarium, Adler planetarium, Field museum, House of Blues, Thriving Jazz and Blues bars everywhere. Take a architectural tour downtown!

If your coming from out of the country you MUST spend some time in a Jazz club, its americas gift to music!

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Lawry's is a chain - we have one in NYC

Sorry for the confusion. I separate Lawrys as a neat place to experience prime Rib, especially for visting friends from other parts of the world. NY, Chicago, SF or LA, always good .Yes a chain but they nail that. The Steak houses are not though and if you like PL's you will find they are on that level.

Honestly the deep dish thing is not worth a night. Chicago is one of the worlds greatest restaurant cities. Choosing any one eclectic cool spot could be a meal of a lifetime. Deep dish pizza not so much.

#27 9 years ago

I think every chicago pinsider should open up their homes, and Robin should just hire a limo to drive him from house to house

#28 9 years ago

Want' the best steakhouse bar none in chicago go to The Chop House.

Tom

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think every chicago pinsider should open up their homes, and Robin should just hire a limo to drive him from house to house

Haha, sweet! But on that subject, where can I find good pins to play in Chicago? Either private or public. New York had the awesome Reciprocal and the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. So what are Chicago's best spots to play?

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

But on that subject, where can I find good pins to play in Chicago?

I live only 10 minutes from the Westin hotel where expo is held. I'd love to have you and your brother come by and hang out while you're in town. In fact, I may organize some kind of official Pinside thing at my house. It's just a matter of figuring out when to do it so it doesn't conflict with other pinball stuff going on that weekend.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Treat yourself to nice Chicago Beef dinner. Harry Carys .

Just don't get Carlos as your waiter. The guy is a total jerk and ruined my parents 50th wedding anniversary party last month with his ass like behavior.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

Just don't get Carlos as your waiter. The guy is a total jerk and ruined my parents 50th wedding anniversary party last month with his ass like behavior.

I wonder of he served us last time. Best steak dinner story ever. One of the ladys orders a strip well done : o
    We laughed but he took the order.
    Steaks hits the table and all of our rare and medium rares with peppercorn sauce are amazing. Hers is very cooked but still has nice pink inside maybe a trace of red but tons of grey : (
    She sends it back.
    They return with it now grey and a touch of pink. Reds gone and pink is barley there. She return it.
    Waiter returns empty handed staring at her. She asks where is the steak only to be informed that she will not be having steak there : )
    We all loved it. She did not, but well done!

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

We are organising a meet-up at the Expo (time and date to follow). I hope to meet as many Pinsiders as possibly during our pinball trip!

Be sure and get in touch with Mike to work out time and place. If you haven't already.

LTG : )

#34 9 years ago

Room booked, will be there with my dad like usual. This is our 25 or 26 Expo.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

What day is the Stern tour?

Thursday 10am-ish

#35 9 years ago

Logan Hardware is a bar that has a bunch of pins and arcades. They had the Python fundraiser there earlier this year.

http://loganarcade.com/

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Be sure and get in touch with Mike to work out time and place. If you haven't already.
    LTG : )

I'm in contact with Rob B about this.

Quoted from gweempose:

I live only 10 minutes from the Westin hotel where expo is held. I'd love to have you and your brother come by and hang out while you're in town. In fact, I may organize some kind of official Pinside thing at my house. It's just a matter of figuring out when to do it so it doesn't conflict with other pinball stuff going on that weekend.

No way! How can I have missed that? I will be at the Westin from Wednesday until Monday so we should be able to come over and possibly organise something

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Logan Hardware is a bar that has a bunch of pins and arcades. They had the Python fundraiser there earlier this year.
    http://loganarcade.com/

I will second this! After my first trip to Logan, it is THE place to play on location in the city. Great diversity! Wonderful people and Barron was a blast to play pins with and take away Tommy dollars from

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

...where can I find good pins to play in Chicago?

Come by Logan (Hardware) Arcade! Who knows what will be on the floor by October as I'm just one man maintaining ~35 pins and ~40 vids, but here's what we have out right now:

Time Warp
    Flight 2000
    Embryon
    Abra Ca Dabra
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Harlem Globetrotters
    Space Shuttle
    Galaxy
    Firepower
    Black Knight
    Faces
    Power Play
    Dr. Dude
    Whitewater
    Judge Dredd
    Star Trek NG
    Star Trek
    Revenge From Mars
    Addams Family
    Radical
    Pinbot
    Space Station
    Mustang
    DE Star Wars
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Doctor Who
    Terminator 2
    Bad Cats
    Elvira
    Tron Legacy
    Twilight Zone
    DE Simpsons

First round of Malort shots are on me.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Come by Logan (Hardware) Arcade! Who knows what will be on the floor by October as I'm just one man maintaining ~35 pins and ~40 vids, but here's what we have out right now:

Cool, it's only 42 minute travel from my hotel (Rafaellos)!

Quoted from Barron:

First round of Malort shots are on me.

I love wormwood! Ugh!

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Now This guy knows what he is talking about. Peter Lugers is the best Steak House in the US. Thats a Fact.

As far as chi-town and there pizza its not my style. I dont care for Chicago pizza. NYC pizza is the best. I dont remember the place I ate at but it was a really old place and was the locals "Claim to fame" place to go and eat pizza.

Quoted from gweempose:

I live only 10 minutes from the Westin hotel where expo is held.

Brian had me over when I was in Chicago. I would take him up on that Robin, he has a sweet set up! Party at Brians? I may be making the trip!!

#41 9 years ago

I would make the same offer as last 2 years. I will buy the First round for All. If you want me to plan the meet up I'm willing to do so as well. We have done Twin Peaks both the last two years and its worked well because its in the parking lot of the hotel.

JJ

#42 9 years ago

Damn1 Worth the trip just for drinks with JJ and Jim. Doubt I can make it though : (

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I would make the same offer as last 2 years. I will buy the First round for All.

Now we're talking, thanks! This should help my plan of getting as many Pinsiders to Expo as possible!

...I also heard there's gonna be a party at Gweems place!

#44 9 years ago

I might need to go again this year...

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Damn1 Worth the trip just for drinks with JJ and Jim. Doubt I can make it though : (

DO IT!

#46 9 years ago

.........going with Mrs Burningman....she is the one with the big tits....

caucasians.JPGcaucasians.JPG
    #47 9 years ago

I'm attending this year but I refuse to bring any pins unless they redesign/revamp the free play area.

Here are some minor suggestions:

-Make it easier to load/unload games into this area.
    -Hire/pay for some type of professional security that is courteous.
    -Have ANYONE that attends the show be able to play in SOME type of FREEPLAY area at ALL TIMES that the show is open, if they pay admission.

A tournament that locks out paid attendees from the freeplay area for many hours does not help the event and in many ways harms it. I want the games I bring to be playable by ALL people that pay for admission at ALL TIMES that the show is open.

#48 9 years ago

Did Pinsider lanyards/name tags ever come to fruition? Might be a good time to have some made up for everyone.

Also, if you like seafood, check out Bob Chinn's Crabhouse. It's only a few mile down the road from Expo.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Did Pinsider lanyards/name tags ever come to fruition? Might be a good time to have some made up for everyone.

Unfortunately they didn't, would be cool. Where was that thread again with that cool mockup?

Quoted from tamoore:

I might need to go again this year...

Remember to put your name on the event page, using the "I'm going" button. That way we know who are coming! Currently at 43 Pinsiders!

#50 9 years ago

I've got a babysitter lined up already. Julie and I will definitely be at Expo again!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Pete

There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2014-meet-the-pinside-team and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.