(Topic ID: 325781)

Pinball Eternal Game Announcement (Official Thread)

By dpadam450

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 312 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by H3XAG0N
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    bill-hader-eating-popcorn.gif
    IMG_20190524_014842 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190527_224234 (resized).jpg
    mechs (resized).jpg
    EternalRed2 (resized).JPG
    Cooking (resized).png
    F6EC7A9D-5E7F-463B-B65B-7E6AAE5FE72D (resized).jpeg
    1E74E091-A659-40CC-99A3-01B3D3F26688 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zambonilli.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 1 year ago

Looks awesome and best of luck tapping into a potential low cost pinball market!

Out of curiosity, what was the price difference between using off the shelf cheap components and software frameworks instead of trying to vertically integrate everything yourself?

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

Several main features in the video, there are no off the shelf springs/mechs/coils that would ever remotely work/fit. The simplest way I can say get the point across is here:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-8438-00
    1.) Out of stock. 2.) Price I can assure you my optos cost nowhere near $60. And what do I do if Dot Matrix Displays or mosfet driver boards go out of stock?
    This also provides a lot of flexibility beyond price, to create future unique ideas. Stern's insider app and camera are proprietary. I have an idea if I go that route to do something similar, cheaper, and my own tech that would cost way less than slapping a camera in the game. I also like learning how everything works and have extensive programming experience.

Cool, love the risk taking and will keep an eye on this as you go.

1 year later
    #222 5 months ago

Thanks for sharing your presentation dpadam450 and awesome work on the AAA games.

Do you ever see the need for a more sophisticated graphics engine in pinball? For example, instead of using a priority queue to queue up canned animations based on the player's behavior, the game uses the graphics engine to dynamically render real time graphics in response to what's happening. Or will there always be a disconnect between what the ball is doing and what's rendered on the screen because the lack of control in pinball?

2 weeks later
    #226 4 months ago
    Quoted from KerryImming:

From what I can gather Scorbit does not have a remote server so would not be considered prior art. It sounds like that system connects directly to the game itself.

Scorbit does have a server component that is used to correlate devices and players to scores, live stream and operator maintenance messages.

Quoted from KerryImming:

Broad makes the patent scarier but also makes it harder to defend.

Agreed, but also not a patent lawyer just an engineer that's gone through the process a bunch of times. Usually, these broad based patents are used as a defensive deterrent rather than offensive litigation, besides patent trolls. I'm actually listed on the patent for "RFID" and "network" from awhile back. The engineering team building the product went to our patent lawyers with specific novel (for the time) methods and claims and the business and lawyers wanted to go more generic to build a defensive IP around the product and business. So, very similarly the patent ended up being a hodgepodge of the detailed description being our high level product's implementation as the example and the claims and method being very generic.

Unfortunately, I can't say what Stern's motivation is in patenting connectivity though but that should come to light after JJP formally announces or goes live with their connectivity.

1 month later
    #258 3 months ago

Tough crowd. Keep on building and I look forward to your beta video.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zambonilli.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-eternal-announcement-official-thread?tu=zambonilli and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.