(Topic ID: 325781)

Pinball Eternal Game Announcement (Official Thread)

By dpadam450

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 312 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by H3XAG0N
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    bill-hader-eating-popcorn.gif
    IMG_20190524_014842 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190527_224234 (resized).jpg
    mechs (resized).jpg
    EternalRed2 (resized).JPG
    Cooking (resized).png
    F6EC7A9D-5E7F-463B-B65B-7E6AAE5FE72D (resized).jpeg
    1E74E091-A659-40CC-99A3-01B3D3F26688 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdw85.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from Apex:

Go read the trailer trash pinball thread and get back to us.
    If this isn't a troll post, you are launching way too soon. You are still prototyping parts but have set your final price? Your first impression to people is a crude alpha build? Coming form the game industry I would think you know that you don't show the public your alpha builds. I mean in a world where everyone lost their minds over some of the janky production in AAA games like Cyberpunk, why would you want that to be people's first impression? I would also pull anything off the site you don't have secured license to sell unless you are trolling that hard and/or want Megadeth's lawyer's signature on a C&D.
    I can't wait until Ben or Levi sees this thread.

I'm not sure I understand all the negativity. The man isn't asking for money up front, yet people are acting as if he's pulling a JPOP already. Don't put too much weight on how the alpha build looks - about 95% of all prototype products look that way. Let the man finish the project and let the production machines speak for themselves.

dpadam450 - let me know if you need someone to do design reviews/DFM checks for PCBAs or firmware/software testing. I'm happy to donate some engineering time to the project.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I believe I read a single negative remark using the hanky word. Everyone else is asking honest questions. Don't get your panties in a wad. This is a discussion form after all.

I had intended to respond to post #43 (the one with all of the downvotes) but the quote didn't stick for some reason. That comment was meant entirely for Apex. Not sure why you reacted so strongly.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

FFS, you think I had a strong reaction. Skin up man.

Relax bud. Dont get your panties in a wad

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Good points ...
    Extreme case, but what's the liability without UL listing if your game catches fire and burns down someone's house?
    Hope you have a large umbrella policy - Business insurance, one of the many overhead costs that need to be included in the cost of a product.

It's definitely a good idea to go down that route. The current cost of UL testing a standard high voltage (>24VAC) PCBA is around 15-20k with around 12 months of lead time before your product even gets tested at Northbrook. If you did get your boards and coils tested you would also need to tweak your BOM so the key components (coil wire, wiring looms, ps conponents, etc) are UL recognized/listed. So thats a higher BOM, higher upfront costs from testing and you would be paying for yearly inspections of your manufacturing site. You'd need to sell a shitload of machines before you would break even on that kind of cost.

You could also go ETL instead of UL, but the cost and time savings still wouldn't beat just getting insurance.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

As long as you are using UL approved components, then things should be fine.
    UL certification is not required by any laws in the US, but some buildings, companies, etc will not work with a product without it having UL approval for insurance purposes. But no you are not required to get your product UL certified in the US.

Not wanting to go all "um, akshually" here, but technically this is incorrect. There is more than one state that requires UL/ETL/CSA approval in order to have equipment "hardwired" into its install location. The most notable example is Washington. Once again, if you are bringing an electrical product to market I recommend consulting someone who is an expert in UL. When you submit a "request for quote" with UL you will have the opportunity to talk this over with UL representatives. You have to do your due diligence to make sure your product is legal in the area you're selling it. In this case, UL approval should not be required. But OP needs to figure out what will benefit him more in the long run - regulatory approval that isn't necessarily needed or insurance coverage in case something goes wrong.

IMO any savvy business owner will have liability insurance whether they think they need it or not. It's up to OP to figure out if sales will outweigh the high costs of regulatory approval.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

OMG, can we put ths UL talk to bed. I want to see pinball.

Unfortunately this is required discussion for almost every commercial product launch. You said it best on page 2, "This is a discussion form after all"

1 year later
    #296 3 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Me too. I feel like I'm missing some context.

The OP posted some comments that were weirdly/inappropriately personal, and it wasn't clear what was going on.
    The OP was asked to open a moderator feedback thread to discuss the situation, but he didn't respond before deactivating his account.

Seems fairly clear to me. If I made passing reference to a moderator's wife in a series of posts along with previously undisclosed personal details about her I would expect to have my account nuked from orbit within the hour. Going all Pinkerton on a user's wife because you don't agree with something they posted is weird at best and harassment/stalking at worst.

#298 3 days ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I must have missed the wife stuff out not read closely enough what's still somewhere in the thread

It looks like the offending posts have been edited/removed, but I'll sum it up. Pinstersix, in response to dpadam's post, disclosed the occupation of dpadam's wife along with making passing references to having sex with her. Since dpadam and his wife do not share the same last name, pinstersix must've done some serious background research into dpadam's family to find this information out. Which is why dpadam flipped out about his post being moderated and not pinstersix's. How behavior like pinstersix's doesn't result in an instant permaban is beyond me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdw85.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-eternal-announcement-official-thread?tu=bdw85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.