Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by FrankJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Just wanted to check to see if I'm the only one that thinks this way. When I have equity built up in a game, I much prefer to trade so that I can keep the equity that I've got built up, rather than selling the game and cashing in on the equity. I find this especially true for higher dollar games.

For example, let's say I bought a Twilight Zone back in the day for $1500 and have kept it in my collection for years. I'm now thinking of buying a Monster Bash. Let's say the Monster Bash has a value of $8,000 and my Twilight Zone has a value of $5000 (in today's market). I'd much rather trade my TZ plus $3000 than to sell my TZ for $5000 and then pay $8000 for the game. If I trade my TZ plus $3k then I'm really only into the MB for $4500. At some point in the future I can either cash in on my equity by selling the MB for the going rate, or I can trade it for something else and keep my built up equity.

For the most part, I think I have a hard time spending $8k on a game, which is why I'd prefer to just trade and keep my equity.

Is it silly for me to try and keep the equity in my game or should I just sell my game and buy the other one knowing that a chunk of the money I'm spending is money I never really had (in other words, I'm spending the equity) and for all intents and purposes I'm buying the MB for $4500 and the other $3500 (the equity) isn't really money out of my pocket?

Does anyone else have this equity issue or am I just and odd-ball?

Dave

#2 8 years ago

Sell all your games and invest in real estate?

#3 8 years ago

odd ball

money is money

#4 8 years ago

Regardless if you trade or sell the TZ, the equity is there. Your TZ has appreciated in value, and it doesn't matter if you trade it or convert it to cash (especially if you are going to put it into a new game since technically you aren't 'realizing' the return on investment).

If you spend $8000 cash or $3000 and a TZ, it's the same thing. Do it whichever way makes you feel more comfortable, but in my opinion, there's no difference.

#5 8 years ago

It looks like you have a system you are comfortable with.

I've been looking for a pinball magic. Interested in a Godzilla?

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

Regardless if you trade or sell the TZ, the equity is there. Your TZ has appreciated in value, and it doesn't matter if you trade it or convert it to cash (especially if you are going to put it into a new game since technically you aren't 'realizing' the return on investment).

It's funny but it feels like I will have realized the equity if I sell the TZ and buy the MB outright as I will have spent $8k on the MB, which is basically what it's worth. In other words, to me it seems like as soon as I cash out and sell the TZ, the equity is gone. I know it isn't *really* gone as I've invested it in another game but it just feels like it is. Weird, I know.

Quoted from Nevus:

I've been looking for a Pinball Magic. Interested in a Godzilla?

I sold Pinball Magic once and it took me a while to get it back into my collection so it's staying here for now.

Ultimately, the issue is spending $8000 in cash on a game. It just feels better thinking that I only spent $4500 on the MB (the original cost of TZ plus the $3k). I guess whatever helps me sleep at night, right?

#7 8 years ago

I recently sold a pin and added 3k to get a WMS IJ. But I'm worse than you in that I don't even count the pin I sold so my IJ only cost me 3k out of pocket

Once I own a game the money spent is gone forever. Selling a game or trading a game always results in another game so I'm only concerned with any additional out of pocket cost.

So in your example the MB would only cost me 3k.

#8 8 years ago

If fooling yourself about the cost helps you sleep at night....

#9 8 years ago

Trade always seems to be an ideal, reality is 9 out of 10 it is easier and better to just sell then buy.

Looking for trades can be fun though.

#10 8 years ago

I buy games and pour a bunch of money and time in them that will never be returned....is that not what you are supposed to do with a game/hobby?

#11 8 years ago

Sounds to me like you will be turning down a lot of potentially good deals on a MB, because the seller wants cash and not trade. Seems like you might be waiting a very long time for just the right deal that someone is willing to do, just so you can trick your mind. On the flip side, I have seen items that I was interested in where people only want trade for a boat, car, motorcycle. I never bothered to call them, because it was obvious they didn't want cash.

#12 8 years ago

Loosing money isnt a big deal, im not sure why everyone insists on making money or breaking even, hobbies cost money, yes you can parlay games into other games to ease the pain in your wallet which is ideal. Be prepared for a loss, TZ is climbing so high they may remake it like MM. So dont get caught up in the finacials just have fun with our hobby!

#13 8 years ago

Good advice all the way around here...I should point out that my example was hypothetical but I am looking to trade my Addams Family and it may be easier to just sell it, take the money from that and put it with some other cash and buy what I want. I just needed some reinforcement that I am just tricking myself if I think the equity is gone simply because I cash out and sell a game. Equity is equity.

And yes, the hobby isn't about making money, it's about playing your games and having fun - a good reminder.

Dave

#14 8 years ago

You are tricking yourself.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Just wanted to check to see if I'm the only one that thinks this way. When I have equity built up in a game, I much prefer to trade so that I can keep the equity that I've got built up, rather than selling the game and cashing in on the equity. I find this especially true for higher dollar games.
    For example, let's say I bought a Twilight Zone back in the day for $1500 and have kept it in my collection for years. I'm now thinking of buying a Monster Bash. Let's say the Monster Bash has a value of $8,000 and my Twilight Zone has a value of $5000 (in today's market). I'd much rather trade my TZ plus $3000 than to sell my TZ for $5000 and then pay $8000 for the game. If I trade my TZ plus $3k then I'm really only into the MB for $4500. At some point in the future I can either cash in on my equity by selling the MB for the going rate, or I can trade it for something else and keep my built up equity.
    For the most part, I think I have a hard time spending $8k on a game, which is why I'd prefer to just trade and keep my equity.
    Is it silly for me to try and keep the equity in my game or should I just sell my game and buy the other one knowing that a chunk of the money I'm spending is money I never really had (in other words, I'm spending the equity) and for all intents and purposes I'm buying the MB for $4500 and the other $3500 (the equity) isn't really money out of my pocket?
    Does anyone else have this equity issue or am I just and odd-ball?
    Dave

Its a hobby. I think you are over thinkin' it.

#16 8 years ago

Delude yourself as long as you can afford to do so, don't do it with cash you need. I feel the same way and do the same thing.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

Delude yourself as long as you can afford to do so, don't do it with cash you need. I feel the same way and do the same thing.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's delusional

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

the Monster Bash has a value of $8,000 and my Twilight Zone has a value of $5000 (in today's market). I'd much rather trade my TZ plus $3000 than to sell my TZ for $5000 and then pay $8000 for the game. If I trade my TZ plus $3k then I'm really only into the MB for $4500.

Sorry I don't get it. Math is math. It is the same. To me the difference would be convenience of trading, if for the right game and maybe a savings on shipping/pickup costs.

#19 8 years ago

I would say odd-ball, but I don't blame you. When your dealing with "toys" this expensive I'm sure we all have come up with odd justifications.

As I tell my wife, I don't mind the cost of games because there is an active buy/sell market, so if we ever need money it's easy enough to sell the games. Though as most people, I think pricing is getting out of hand

#20 8 years ago

Investing in pinball machines is a bad idea but I do it anyways. All I buy are EMs and it seems they're going down in value. I blame it on the aging EM crowd. The same may happen to the SS crowd.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Sorry I don't get it. Math is math

You're right but it's the perception that's it different that works for me. If I spent $1500 on the TZ and put another $3k with it to buy a MB that would normally sell for $8k then in my mind I'm only in to the MB for $4500 - money actually spent. I get that the TZ is worth more than what I paid for it but if I trade it I feel like I still have the equity in the game. In this case, it gets transferred to the MB. However, as others have said, it doesn't matter. If I spend the cash it's money that I didn't have and it helped pay for the MB.

I know it's weird but it's how I justify the cost.

#22 8 years ago

It's the same thing. You have to spend 3000 dollars either way. Trade plus 3000.
    Or the proceeds from sale plus 3000.

The trade limits your options immensely.

This assume you have to find someone who wants your game at your price and is tradibg the game you want at the value you want.

If you try selling the game, you can take the time to get the price you need.
    Then when you find the game you want, you can buy it outright because cash is something everyone wants (while twilight zone might not be).

I could see a trade might being a good option if you only have one game, and don't want to be without one.... But be prepared to wait awhile for the perfect scenario to work out for you. This works out for people who are more flexible in their game options.

Good luck!

#23 8 years ago

Also, in your scenario, you're banking on the perfect deal. Suppose you have waited 6 months for a trade deal to come along. Let's say your TZ is pristine and my MB is beat up. I want $7K for my beat up MB, but if you want to trade, I want your nice TZ and $4K and I won't budge. Are you going to spend "$9K" on a beat up MB, just because it's the only one you've found that meets your trade criteria? I don't think so.

#24 8 years ago

Sell everything now.

#26 8 years ago

This thread makes my head hurt.

#27 8 years ago

How many games do you own that have tripled in value? Once you've traded them off, isn't your equity wave kind of over? Do you intend to just keep trading off the $8k game and keeping the lower valued stuff?

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

How many games do you own that have tripled in value? Once you've traded them off, isn't your equity wave kind of over? Do you intend to just keep trading off the $8k game and keeping the lower valued stuff?

How many new titles have people lost 1k on? There are several new titles I would be interested when I sell/trade gofers. Problem is that they will go down quite a bit in the next year or two. Also holding off on going after spiderman until the rumor of a ve is proven true or not. It is tough justifying the cost of some machines, cannot do it knowing I will take a loss in the short term if I get bored with it.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sell everything now.

This seems to be the best advice...might as well cash in on all the equity I've built up over the years with the games I have.

Quoted from lyonsden:

This thread makes my head hurt.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention...apparently I've been overthinking things and should just sell my game and buy what I want. That shouldn't cause anyone a headache, right?

#30 8 years ago

You are thinking waaaay too hard about this. Buy and sell at a price YOU find fair. Trades are good to combine 2 separate sales into one and you might save some time. That is all.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

This seems to be the best advice...might as well cash in on all the equity I've built up over the years with the games I have.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention...apparently I've been overthinking things and should just sell my game and buy what I want. That shouldn't cause anyone a headache, right?

Exactly. and then play some more pinball.

#32 8 years ago

Cash deal
    TZ Paid $1500
    Sell for $5000
    Add $3000 cash
    Buy MB for $8000
    You have $4500 invested out of pocket

Equity/trade
    TZ paid $1500
    Trade in credit $5000
    Add $3000 cash
    Receive $8000 MB
    You have $4500 invested out of pocket

The only thing you are doing by limiting it to a trade is limiting your opportunity to find an MB. IMO

#33 8 years ago

It seemes the sages of pinside have convinced me that money is money and math is math. Equity used to by a game, whether turned into cash or not, helps offset the cost of the game. Sell the game you have and buy the game you want.

Took me a while to get there but I see the light now.

#34 8 years ago

I kind of do the same thing but not for myself. That's the number I tell my wife I'm spending on the next pin.

#35 8 years ago

Don't forget to calculate for inflation, time value of money, and opportunity costs or your thoughts of equity value won't be accurate And yeah like others said equity in form of trade or cash is all the same. I personally prefer not to overthink the hobby from the financial side. If I wanted to get a return there's a lot better ways than in a hobby.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

It seemes the sages of pinside have convinced me that money is money and math is math. Equity used to by a game, whether turned into cash or not, helps offset the cost of the game. Sell the game you have and buy the game you want.

Yes, money is money but when you sell a game my advice is to put that money in a separate pinball account or in a safe vs. putting it in your general savings/checking account otherwise you might be guilted into using it for something else non-pin related.

#37 8 years ago

Sticking to a trade only rule restricts you far too much. It also rules out buying a new release NIB should you want one.

Having cash in hand is a big advantage when looking for a game. It means you can act now, and gives you some negotiating power.

#38 8 years ago

It's a cash flow and tax decision, assuming the older pin has little added appreciation potential. If we don't get future generations back into pins in a very big way, long term investment potential is clearly in jeopardy. I'm not convinced that the new resurgence in pins has staying power. Maybe when Chucky Cheese starts hosting them again... I'm not holding my breath.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I will say that it NEVER hurts to look for a trade for at least a little while.

I have many games that I would ONLY trade away for the right deal as they would be hard to replace so I would want to ensure I am finding something else I really want if it is leaving.

#40 8 years ago

I have passed up two great deals that I shouldn't have and maybe two others that were good and I should have been more aggressive about.

But the point is I'm in a certain time/space where even if a great deal shows up I need to have the cash and the space to jump. Because the really good deals are so good that they last maybe a day.

I'm thinking of people I know and who I have dealt with so the deals were maybe a bit better for me, but I was a little slow.

Since then, I have 'sold' a pin. I didn't have to, but it frees up a space and I have the money to buy when I see another great deal. I don't even have a specific pin in mind, I'm more looking for a few pins but the price, location and condition have to be right.

If on the other hand you are waiting for a specific pin and then you need to trade your pin for that pin it's just limiting the whole universe of possible deals.

Long story short, I now have my space and I'm just sitting back wait for the good deal to show up, but as usually happens past on a few deals because the time space wasn't right now that I'm ready the deals never seem to be what I'm hoping for and I still am sorry for the couple that I let pass.

#41 8 years ago

OP, look up the word "fungible". Your idea is based on the idea that equity can not be cash. Your thinking is illogical.

#42 8 years ago

Pinball and equity don't belong in the same sentence.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

OP, look up the word "fungible". Your idea is based on the idea that equity can not be cash. Your thinking is illogical.

I looked up the word (thanks for introducing me to a new word) and I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. It appears that fungible or fungibility would say that one unit of a commodity is the same as all other units of that same commodity. For example, an oz of gold is an oz of gold - doesn't matter. I'm not sure if you're saying that a pinball machine is a pinball machine or if you're saying that equity and cash are the same thing.

My whole point in this exercise was to see if it was odd that I trick myself into thinking that I haven't spent as much on a game as I really have when I'm trading one game for another. I think your point is that equity is cash and whether you change that equity into cash or not - it's the same thing. In other words, if I paid $1500 for my TZ and it's worth $5000 today it's worth $5000 whether I'm trading or selling.

I also wanted to point out that my intention wasn't to talk about investing in pinball machines or making money buying and selling games. I'm in pinball to play and enjoy but I got into the hobby about 10 years or so ago and many of the machines I have, I've had for a long time. The prices I paid then are nowhere near the prices I'm paying today. In some silly way, it makes me feel better to think that I only spent $1500 on a TZ and was able to trade that plus a bit of cash for a game that normally sells for $8k. I see the illogical nature of what I'm doing and now understand that money is money and math is math.

I also agree with those that have indicated that trading severely limits your options - very true. I also agree with Rai who talked about missing out on deals because you didn't have money or space. I try to have money available so that I can jump on a deal when it comes around but space is always an issue. Oh, and MikeS, you have a great point about making sure pinball money is in a separate account. Hobby money is separate from "house" money. That's another reason I'm trying to trade. No temptation to spend the money when you're trading.

Dave

#44 8 years ago

Again, your house money and your pinball equity is fungible by converting to cash at any moment. Your theoretical differentiation between the two is what is illogical. It's fine if it makes you feel good, but it shouldn't impact your financial decisions because these are all assets that can be converted to cash at some cost. Pinballs probably cost less than campers/rvs/vehicles/snowmobiles, etc. to convert to cash.

#45 8 years ago

As I said, I know I'm tricking myself and that it's all the same. It is quite illogical and your point is well taken. Assets are assets regardless of what they are; campers, RVs, vehicles, pinball machines, and all can be converted to cash if need be. All things having a cash value effectively make them fungible.

Cool new word but I'm not sure when I'll be able to break it out in an everyday conversation.

#46 8 years ago

What is this equity you speak of?

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I have passed up two great deals that I shouldn't have and maybe two others that were good and I should have been more aggressive about.
    But the point is I'm in a certain time/space where even if a great deal shows up I need to have the cash and the space to jump. Because the really good deals are so good that they last maybe a day.
    I'm thinking of people I know and who I have dealt with so the deals were maybe a bit better for me, but I was a little slow.
    Since then, I have 'sold' a pin. I didn't have to, but it frees up a space and I have the money to buy when I see another great deal. I don't even have a specific pin in mind, I'm more looking for a few pins but the price, location and condition have to be right.
    If on the other hand you are waiting for a specific pin and then you need to trade your pin for that pin it's just limiting the whole universe of possible deals.
    Long story short, I now have my space and I'm just sitting back wait for the good deal to show up, but as usually happens past on a few deals because the time space wasn't right now that I'm ready the deals never seem to be what I'm hoping for and I still am sorry for the couple that I let pass.

Im with you on this......being at capacity (space and $) is not ideal. Best to always have some cash and space ready for something new.

#48 8 years ago

Trading equity, spending equity. What's the difference?

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinPall007:

Trading equity, spending equity. What's the difference?

I know it sounds silly but the difference to me is that if I'm trading I still have the equity. In my example from above, if the actual money spent on the MB is my initial $1500 TZ plus $3k then I've only "spent" $4500 on the MB. I can hold off on cashing in on the equity until I sell the MB.

In other words, it seems like it's being transferred to the next game. Everyone has proven me wrong though because the TZ is worth $5k whether I sell it or trade it. Even if I sell it, the extra $3500 that I "made" from selling the TZ can be used to buy the MB. The $3500 is money I didn't have so it doesn't matter if I trade for the value or use the cash value of it. The TZ is worth $5k regardless.

As others have pointed out, whatever helps me sleep at night is how I should look at it. If I get a MB I spent $8k on it regardless of whether I trade a TZ + cash or just sold the TZ and paid for the MB in cash.

I have seen the errors of my ways and agree that in the end, my line of thinking is illogical.

#50 8 years ago

What happens when PPS announces a MB remake and it's value decreases? No big deal, I only paid $4500 for it. Could take the sting out of a loss too! Kind of a glass half full or half empty argument.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-equity-and-buying-your-next-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.