Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

diode11.gif
    download (2).jpg
    FOKLF2OH5JVY45Y.LARGE.gif
    Transistors.jpg
    capacitor-types.jpg
    images.jpg
    120px-Diode_pinout_en_fr.svg.png
    download.jpg
    OK.png
    FB_IMG_1432272766397.jpg
    check-mark-cancel-21305006.jpg
    Lamps_13.jpg
    ohmslaw.png
    Lamps_12.jpg
    Lamps_11.jpg
    Lamps_10.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

But a resistor works only one way right? Or is a light not really an resistor?

Resistors work with current flowing in any direction.

#32 8 years ago

If you phrase the lamp setup differently it makes sense.

Each lamp has a 6 volt drop from one terminal to the next. If you connect them in series you have three 6V drops, so you need 18v to drive that circuit.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

A 6v lamp doesn't drop 6v unless it's wired to a 6v source. All 3 lamps in series drop 2 volts apiece and will be very dim. In parallel they will each drop 6v but pull more amps from the battery and drain it quicker

Yes, but to properly drive the circuit you need to supply 18V. The bulbs were intended for 6V (well, close to that, but for this teaching purpose lets keep the math simple). That's why I phrased it the way I did.

To elaborate on what Mbecker is saying, the total voltage drop of one of your battery circuits above will always be equal to the voltage of the battery. The circuit WANTS to be at equilibrium. So if you have two lamps in series on a 9V battery, there will be approximately a 4.5V drop on each bulb.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Capacitors - Think of capacitors as little water towers. They store current. They can be used to help regulate voltages (by filling up with electricity and act as a reserve if suddenly voltage drops). They can also initially slow the value of how fast current flows as they are "filling up". In some circuits, that is even the purpose of them, to create a delay or a slow release as they empty.

Another good way to think of a capacitor is to think of them as a short when they are empty, and an open when they are full.

I won't spoil the "bulb burned out" exercise, but a hint for the guys learning, you have to have current flowing for a voltage drop. Google Kirchoff's voltage law to learn some basic analysis of a circuit like that.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I don't follow that, can you clarify?

If you ignore all the math of when it's charging/discharging, like a beginner hobbyist would do when using a cap to decouple power supply lines, you can pretend a capacitor is a switch.

When the capacitor is fully discharged, it acts like a shorted out (closed) switch. When it is charged to the input voltage level, it acts as a open switch. In between it acts a little differently.

Look at this link at the applications section for a bypass capacitor.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/capacitors/

I'm at work but can draw an example of what I mean later if it doesn't make sense. Just trying to simplify the math and concepts for people just learning.

#65 8 years ago

If you jumper across the blown bulb, the measurement would be 0, but if you leave the circuit broken where the bulb was and measure there, as in your latest diagram, the answer is not 0.

EDIT: Changed the wording for clarity.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

But if i touched that, i would get a shock of ...18,9 volts, right?

That's a much more complicated answer.

If you touched where you have the multimeter in your latest graphic, you would not have to bear the full 18.9 volts. Your body would act as a resistor in the circuit, it's easy to model if you make some assumptions about what that resistance value is. The 2 working lamps would bear some of the load as well.

Even though a multimeter at that point would measure 18.9 volts, once you completed the circuit with your body there would be a voltage drop across the bulbs. According to Kirchoff's voltage law, the voltage drop across those three elements (bulb, body, bulb) would have to total 18.9 volts.

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Burning lights question: Too much Ampere and/or Volts will burn my precious lights, right? How much can they handle (extra)?

Ampere rating on a power supply is how much it *could* supply, not what it tries to push out.

You could have a 6.3V 100 Amp supply and it would work fine on your bulbs.

However, there are constant current power supplies (like for LEDs) that will change their voltage to make sure the current stays at a constant level.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Yeah, i' m thinking of making a cool "check" stamp for it, any ideas appreciated.

Maybe make the background color of the "approved" ones a different color, so people can quickly scroll and visually catch one of the approved ones passing by.

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Yep! Hell, I'm an EE and I still have to refer back to the books

New version of the EE bible came out last month:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521809266/ref=sr_1_1

#117 8 years ago
    Quoted from arpman:

I learned from this notebook. Still have it in my High School Electronics notebook. I loved that class...
    amazon.com link »

Hah, I still have that book too. That really brings back some memories. I have a bunch of the smaller Mims books they used to have too. Still up in my dad's attic I think, I'll have to dig those up next time I'm there.

#122 8 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes, mount the electronics in the cabinet and install more venting.

Hahahaha, best post today.

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

And this in short is how we find issues. No pun intended.

It's all physics.

That's one thing I love about being an engineer. So much of the math and concepts are shared by all the STEM subjects.

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

The cool thing about electronics is for someone like me that is not good at math and generally avoids it, it makes it interesting to have a real-world examples. It is the same reason why I like physics so much and programming (fun stuff, like games). Suddenly, formulas don't suck to remember anymore. Suddenly, all of that stuff has become necessary that I could give two shits about while I was learning it. Who the hell actually needs trig? Well, I do now if I wanna build something with a zener diode.

Haha, I totally feel you on being bored while learning it. I always thought "We have computers now, why do I care about how to integrate something by hand?"

Turns out I was even stupider then than I am now. Not a week goes by that I don't heavily lean on the many years of math I took. I'm not even in the electronics industry these days, lol.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-electricity-for-dummies?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.