Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bmanpin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

77BC120D-82E7-4914-A225-B0C130AFC225 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20221013_212454214 (resized).jpg
    0010B898-B7A1-4025-952A-FAD1475967B7 (resized).png
    DSC00647-1980x1320 (resized).jpg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Just thinking about a couple acquisitions I would like to make, not that I have room, but details, details….

Just wondering when this avocation May start to see some pushback in pricing due to the economy, specifically the stock markets affect on folks wallets. Not to mention just the cost of living that has gone up substantially! Fuel, food you name it. At some point this will have to affect, in my humble opinion, our avocation. Regardless of the midterms, I just don’t see things getting righted anytime soon.

Didn’t use to care to much about this kind of stuff but as one gets older and has less time to recover, we’ll you know.

G

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Just thinking about a couple acquisitions I would like to make, not that I have room, but details, details….
    Just wondering when this avocation May start to see some pushback in pricing due to the economy, specifically the stock markets affect on folks wallets. Not to mention just the cost of living that has gone up substantially! Fuel, food you name it. At some point this will have to affect, in my humble opinion, our avocation. Regardless of the midterms, I just don’t see things getting righted anytime soon.
    Didn’t use to care to much about this kind of stuff but as one gets older and has less time to recover, we’ll you know.
    G

Was there an economy where things high end collectors items like limited edition sports cars had their prices affected?

#3 1 year ago

Don't buy pins as an investment and you'll be good to go and won't give a shit. We've been "lucky" in the last decade with continual appreciation, however when you see 20k AUD stern LEs you realize the ship may have sailed for a while.
    Market is already different now in Aus after the covid desperation.

#4 1 year ago

Economy must not be too bad.. a guy just took delivery of his Pagani not far from me. Looked exactly like the one in the pic below. And there was 4 more I could see in the trailer. I think they start at $2.4m US.

DSC00647-1980x1320 (resized).jpgDSC00647-1980x1320 (resized).jpg

#5 1 year ago

When it comes to anticipating changes in prices, there's a reason we use the word "speculation".

If anyone could tell you what effect current inflationary factors would have on the pinball market, they'd be using that knowledge to play the market for a profit, not sharing it with you and me.

If there's a pin you want to buy, and your household budget can accommodate the expense, then go buy it. Even if the price of the machine goes down in the future, I doubt the market will collapse entirely, and you'll have received the benefit of owning and playing the game during the interim. Whatever you might have saved, it's not going to matter to you in five or ten years.

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can enjoy today.

#6 1 year ago

Levi Please !! Cargument started early in this one.

#7 1 year ago

Car comparisons and a pricing thread….Levi is lurking somewhere!

#8 1 year ago

Not many pinball buyers are living paycheck to paycheck. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a dip in the economy to have much effect on pinball pricing.

#9 1 year ago

From a 9 year vet too

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

What you can't handle this yourself?

#11 1 year ago

I want some sausage for dinner

#12 1 year ago

I agree! I don’t know how they aren’t embarrassed calling for Levi so much! It’s unbelievable that these Toadies are here!

Quoted from RyanStl:

What you can't handle this yourself?

0010B898-B7A1-4025-952A-FAD1475967B7 (resized).png0010B898-B7A1-4025-952A-FAD1475967B7 (resized).png
    #13 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I want some sausage for dinner

Sausage rocks!

#14 1 year ago

Shit, I thought OP was making a spelling error with avocation. Just looked it up. Means hobby ya'll.

#15 1 year ago

Is Amazon so desprate with their NFL streaming they have to notifiy me to watch the half time? FFS, I'm never going to watch the NFL on Amazon. Well, unless they get the big game. Oops, ADD just kicked in.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

Hardly say its a cargument. It's the fact someone dropped $2.4 million dollars...

#18 1 year ago

Ok, if a pinball is a metaphor for a Pagani, which one would it be?

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

Hardly say its a cargument. It's the fact someone dropped $2.4 million dollars...

Sorry................ Too literal for me........... being fun,snarky,stirring it up man.
    These price,economy,pinballs are pricey threads are fun to tease on and old news here.......... Old news too at the formerly famous RGP threads from a time long,long ago.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Ok, if a pinball is a metaphor for a Pagani, which one would it be?

If P3 made a super limited big license, I'd go with that.

#21 1 year ago

I just got done with a sausage dinner. So good

#22 1 year ago

Economy is a going to get a massive bump up when when we all get out Camp Legeune settlements; bookmark it!

#23 1 year ago

All I really know is my sausages cost more than they used to!

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I just got done with a sausage dinner. So good

I'm jelous. All I have are hot dogs.

Wait, I have some Chinese sausage I bought a few weeks ago, maybe it's good.

IMG_20221013_212454214 (resized).jpgIMG_20221013_212454214 (resized).jpg

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

Quoted from NovaCade:

Car comparisons and a pricing thread….Levi is lurking somewhere!

Too engrossed with turkey ankles in this thrilling TNF game..

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

From a 9 year vet too

Unreal. First thing I looked at too. I thought it said 9 months, which would track. But 9 years? He's seen no less than 4 greenhorns a year start "Because of _________, do you think pinball machine prices will crash???" threads, but here we are.

This is why we can't have nice things.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm jelous. All I have are hot dogs.
    Wait, I have some Chinese sausage I bought a few weeks ago, maybe it's good.
    [quoted image]

That might be Pengolan

#29 1 year ago

All that government creates is debt and the by product is inflation.

#30 1 year ago

blah, blah, blah, blah

#31 1 year ago

Sausage is delicious, even the processed shit like Jimmy Dean. Hard to find it seems and more expensive. I love pigs!

#32 1 year ago

I hear hot genoa sausage is the best and comes with free buns. Never tried it though.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmanpin:

Sausage is delicious, even the processed shit like Jimmy Dean. Hard to find it seems and more expensive. I love pigs!

Isn't all sausage processed. I mean that's kind of the point of it.

#34 1 year ago

Prices will and already are coming down in the secondary market. As long as you are ok losing 1-2k on resale from NIB I wouldn’t worry about it. To sell a stern premium that isn’t Godzilla you have to price it between 7-8k right now

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Prices will and already are coming down in the secondary market. As long as you are ok losing 1-2k on resale from NIB I wouldn’t worry about it. To sell a stern premium that isn’t Godzilla you have to price it between 7-8k right now

Use to be a $500 hit on NIB selling HUO. Now we are at 1-2K?

#36 1 year ago

If you want it, buy it. Why worry about tomorrow? If something happens, then sell it.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If you want it, buy it. Why worry about tomorrow? If something happens, then sell it.

Are we still talking about sausage?

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

Are we still talking about sausage?

Negative, Ghost Rider

#39 1 year ago

It's a real sausage party in here.

Also, prices are what they are. Don't speculate in pin value and instead just enjoy the hell out of them.

#40 1 year ago

The pinball market has kicked the bucket. Everyone knows it they’re just staying silent about it because they don’t want to recalibrate their net worth in their heads.

#41 1 year ago

The pinball market has not changed... the business strategy of the major manufacturers has changed. For the entire lifetime of this hobby, excepting 2 of the last 3 years the manufacturers had enough product that you could walk into your local distributor and walk out with a new pinball machine... any pinball machine made recently, not just whatever wasn't selling well. When this was the case, a recent used pin was the price of a new pin minus about $500. The only pins selling for a premium are ones that you cannot get new without waiting and it is a "price to get it now". This scarcity was previously only accomplished by limiting the amount of certain pins made. There were only 300 or 400 LEs, and those as "investments" held their value only slightly better than the mass market pins. Now Stern, JJP, and even Spooky have drastically increased the number of LE and CE pins they make to the point of making the designation useless. These trims no longer work as "investment vehicles". If Stern knows LEs will be worth 11k or 12k used, they will jack up the price to get all of that money.

As to the economy killing demand? Have you gone to anyone's house to trade pins? I count myself as extremely well off for my age, but 90% of the houses I go to are larger than mine with huge pinball collections. I think that the home buyer with pinball machines at home generally has alot of disposable income, and as such is on the more "financially secure" side. Location pinball my get hurt really bad in a foul economy and it might not be a good time to be a route operator, but I don't see the price of pins flooring anytime soon.

What other hobbies are there where you can dump this much money into it and mostly get your money back. If the economy really tanked tomorrow and your pins were not worth as much as an emergency piggy bank, so long as you don't need that piggy bank does that really effect you? If I got stuck with my current lineup... o'well, I guess I'll just have to enjoy this awesome lineup of pins. It also wouldn't effect the value of your collection relative to other pins. You will always be able to trade Spike 2s for other Spike 2s, and a Twilight Zone or Addams can always be traded for a modern Stern. You might also see more "temporary trades".

Even in the case of a real recession, I don't see the price of pins coming down that much. I think a Stern Pro has a floor value of around $5,000 simply because like a tractor, it has inherent economic value and can be used to make money.

Where I do see the potential for real change in the market is on the supply/demand side. If demand for NIB pins falls off a cliff due to pricing and/or lead time to actually get a pin, I see the potential for some of the smaller manufacturers to close their doors. Stern seems pretty safe to me, but some of the smaller operations are, in my opinion, only a flop or two away from insolvency even in a roaring economy.

#42 1 year ago

Can this be solved with a Pagani pinball machine? I’m in for a Zonda LE! /s

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The pinball market has not changed... the business strategy of the major manufacturers has changed. For the entire lifetime of this hobby, excepting 2 of the last 3 years the manufacturers had enough product that you could walk into your local distributor and walk out with a new pinball machine... any pinball machine made recently, not just whatever wasn't selling well. When this was the case, a recent used pin was the price of a new pin minus about $500. The only pins selling for a premium are ones that you cannot get new without waiting and it is a "price to get it now". This scarcity was previously only accomplished by limiting the amount of certain pins made. There were only 300 or 400 LEs, and those as "investments" held their value only slightly better than the mass market pins. Now Stern, JJP, and even Spooky have drastically increased the number of LE and CE pins they make to the point of making the designation useless. These trims no longer work as "investment vehicles". If Stern knows LEs will be worth 11k or 12k used, they will jack up the price to get all of that money.
    As to the economy killing demand? Have you gone to anyone's house to trade pins? I count myself as extremely well off for my age, but 90% of the houses I go to are larger than mine with huge pinball collections. I think that the home buyer with pinball machines at home generally has alot of disposable income, and as such is on the more "financially secure" side. Location pinball my get hurt really bad in a foul economy and it might not be a good time to be a route operator, but I don't see the price of pins flooring anytime soon.
    What other hobbies are there where you can dump this much money into it and mostly get your money back. If the economy really tanked tomorrow and your pins were not worth as much as an emergency piggy bank, so long as you don't need that piggy bank does that really effect you? If I got stuck with my current lineup... o'well, I guess I'll just have to enjoy this awesome lineup of pins. It also wouldn't effect the value of your collection relative to other pins. You will always be able to trade Spike 2s for other Spike 2s, and a Twilight Zone or Addams can always be traded for a modern Stern. You might also see more "temporary trades".
    Even in the case of a real recession, I don't see the price of pins coming down that much. I think a Stern Pro has a floor value of around $5,000 simply because like a tractor, it has inherent economic value and can be used to make money.
    Where I do see the potential for real change in the market is on the supply/demand side. If demand for NIB pins falls off a cliff due to pricing and/or lead time to actually get a pin, I see the potential for some of the smaller manufacturers to close their doors. Stern seems pretty safe to me, but some of the smaller operations are, in my opinion, only a flop or two away from insolvency even in a roaring economy.

Long post, but sounds right

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Economy is a going to get a massive bump up when when we all get out Camp Legeune settlements; bookmark it!

That's all I see on YouTube as in commercials prior to videos...

#45 1 year ago

As someone who rotates through a lot of pins trying different things, yes the market is getting soft. It peaked out about 6 months ago and started going the other direction and is settling.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Use to be a $500 hit on NIB selling HUO. Now we are at 1-2K?

-500 was the absolute ceiling price you could get if the game was mint, hou, low plays, modded, and we’re willing to wait and still then you may not sell or end up coming down another 1-200 to close a deal.

That was when a pro was 5-5800 delivered, now it’s 7k

#47 1 year ago

Breakfast! Time for sausage and eggs

77BC120D-82E7-4914-A225-B0C130AFC225 (resized).jpeg77BC120D-82E7-4914-A225-B0C130AFC225 (resized).jpeg
    #48 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The pinball market has not changed... the business strategy of the major manufacturers has changed.

Thanks for adding some well thought-out insight in a pricing thread. This is unfortunately a small fraction of the comments.

Quoted from GPS:

Just wondering when this avocation May start to see some pushback in pricing due to the economy, specifically the stock markets affect on folks wallets.

There's a great pricing thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread
    I think you'll find less noise there, and more actual on-topic conversation. You know, the kind we're looking for.

#49 1 year ago

To your point, the ven diagram for buying pinball and stock market do not intersect for me, I don't know how others feel. Stock market is down 25%, that doesn't bother me it will come back eventually. I don't consider my stock market portfolio when I consider buying a machine. If anything the stock market being down would cause me to buy less pinball because I would want to pour more money in to the market

#50 1 year ago

Sausage makes me poop. So does coffee. The economy does not affect such things in my world.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-economy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.