• 28 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinball-is-great
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Concerning pinball drive-bys”

• I'm too busy to waste any time doing drive-bys. Besides, there is no machines out on location anyhow. 5 votes
    14%
  • I've found several machines this way over the years. Score! 17 votes
    49%
  • I almost got in a wreck one time doing a pinball drive-by. 1 vote
    3%
  • My wife/girlfriend usually ask me what in the hell am I'm doing when I do pinball drive-bys with her in the truck, then rolls her eyes. 8 votes
    23%
  • I've done some pinball drive-bys, but never noticed a machine in a business yet. 4 votes
    11%
  • I had a cop pull me over after he watched me doing a slow drive-by. I think he thinks I'm not playing with a full deck. 0 votes
  • I'm gonna start doing some pinball drive-bys. I bet I can find some machines. 2 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 35 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

NBA_Fastbreak-LafLA-Jan2017 (resized).jpg
NBA_Fastbreak-cab-Jan2017-LafLA (resized).jpg
tough_girls_cruisin (resized).jpg
black_lowrider_car (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Let's hear about some of your pinball "drive-bys" that you've caught yourself doing over the years.
I know I'm not the only pinball junkie that has done this on occasion.

You know, like when you see a laundromat out of the corner of your eye while driving. So you slow down and do a drive-by, looking in the windows to see if you see any pinball machines in there.

Earlier tonight just after I left the bowling alley, I scored seeing a machine through the front windows in the side room of a small bar & grill that I haven't been inside before. Wait! Was that a pinball machine in there. So I hook a quick right and drive back through the parking lot real slow getting a better look, ...trying to not look like a criminal. Son-of-a-xxxxx, I think that's an Bally NBA Fastbreak.
Well, now I know of another pinball machine out on location to go check out. I'll post an update to this story, take a pic, and will report back on condition and how well it plays.

#2 2 years ago

Some of the likely places to find pinball machines inside:
* Laundromats
* Bars
* Bar & grill restaurants
* Pizza joints
* Bowling Alleys
* Family funparks & arcades
* Gameroom at some campgrounds
* Gamerooms at large theme parks
* Pinball retail shop

Any other places that I'm forgetting?

Sometimes when you drive by these type places, curiosity kicks in, and you go inside to check it out if any pinball machines inside.

#3 2 years ago

I have a pinball buddy who lives a half mile from me. He was going home from my place one day and past a house having a garage sale with tables out on the driveway. In the garage were two pinball machines. Brian stops and asks the guy about the machines. The guy gets pissed and says Brian has no business snooping at what he has in the garage. Pretty much tells Brian to F off.

That was a couple years ago. Not sure they're still there or not as the guy never has his door open anymore.

#4 2 years ago

I have come across pins more than once at yard sales but to date I've never been able to purchase one. Most owners have priced them to high and are not willing (thinking I'm trying to screw them) to negotiate lower price.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I have a pinball buddy who lives a half mile from me. He was going home from my place one day and past a house having a garage sale with tables out on the driveway. In the garage were two pinball machines. Brian stops and asks the guy about the machines. The guy gets pissed and says Brian has no business snooping at what he has in the garage. Pretty much tells Brian to F off.
That was a couple years ago. Not sure they're still there or not as the guy never has his door open anymore.

Noticing two pinball machines in a open garage during a yard sale is a far cry from snooping...What a jerk.

Now onto Pinball hunting while driving, I constantly look into open garages Snoo....I mean looking for Pinball Machines.

#6 2 years ago

Did this about a week ago. I was headed to a bar to meet friends (who also are into pinball) for trivia when I spotted a pinball machine through the window of another bar about a block away as I was driving by. When I got there I told them I saw a World Poker Tour in the bar up the street and we all went after trivia for a few more beers to check it out, as none of us had played the game before.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Noticing two pinball machines in a open garage during a yard sale is a far cry from snooping...What a jerk.
Now onto Pinball hunting while driving, I constantly look into open garages Snoo....I mean looking for Pinball Machines.

The sale was outside, not in the garage where the pins were, but you would think the guy would be happy meet a fellow, local pinhead.

Not this guy.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Some of the likely places to find pinball machines inside:
* Laundromats
* Bars
* Bar & grill restaurants
* Pizza joints
* Bowling Alleys
* Family funparks & arcades
* Gameroom at some campgrounds
* Gamerooms at large theme parks
* Pinball retail shop
Any other places that I'm forgetting?
Sometimes when you drive by these type places, curiosity kicks in, and you go inside to check it out if any pinball machines inside.

* Movie theater arcade
* Indoor sports complex arcade
* Occasionally comic book shops, tattoo parlors, video game stores, Mexican restaurants
* Truck stop arcades
* Large hotel/motel arcade rooms
* Large Ford dealerships (Mustang)
* Pool halls

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The sale was outside, not in the garage where the pins were, but you would think the guy would be happy meet a fellow, local pinhead.
Not this guy.

Yeah I get it. If he didn't want people to glance in his garage he should have just shut it as having a sale attracts people and if you have your garage door wide open people are going to look. I would have been happy to discuss pinball with a local pinhead myself! I know when I have had garage sales and I have the garage doors open some people that come to these sales are wheeler and dealers and ask what other stuff I might have..hey do you have any tools or fishing stuff is a common question. I have even had people ask about my pinball machines in the garage if they are for sale. My answer always is, for the right price it is for sale LOL.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Not this guy.

Well, the sale was likely in the driveway right next to the garage or near the garage, no? I think your friend was inline with being just fine

#11 2 years ago

My dream is to see a good pin at a yard sale, hasn't happened yet but I keep looking

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Not this guy.

This was in Minnesota?? This guy has to be a transplant from somewhere else, I've been to MN dozens of times and have never met a single rude person there.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This was in Minnesota?? This guy has to be a transplant from somewhere else, I've been to MN dozens of times and have never met a single rude person there.

Screw you.

#14 2 years ago

I have ran into a couple at garage sales but they always start quoting American Pickers / Auction Hunters so I just turn and leave.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There are PLENTY of A-Holes around here, trust me. Been here 48 yrs, gets worse every year

#16 2 years ago

I do a drive-by in residential areas and if I see any signs there might be pinball there I get out of my car and go up close to the house and peer through windows of basements and family rooms to check. I've only been arrested three times so far.
I probably just dreamed all of that. So, no, I don't really have any drive-by stories.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This was in Minnesota?? This guy has to be a transplant from somewhere else, I've been to MN dozens of times and have never met a single rude person there

Yup, theres assholes here.

#18 2 years ago

Clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop. Stop. Nothing. Clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop

Pinball drive by in an Amish neighborhood.

LTG : )

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I probably just dreamed all of that. So, no, I don't really have any drive-by stories.

Hmmm, I guess this wasn't you doing a pinball drive-by the other day.
black_lowrider_car (resized).jpg

#20 2 years ago

I found an EBDLE in one of the photos of a house for sale down the street from me on Zillow. Contacted the realtor to see if it was for sale. Realtor called me back and said it was for $2500. I told her that might be on the high side, but would like to see it. The seller never contacted me and they moved. I gave it a shot, but wasn't meant to be.

#21 2 years ago

Picture taken just before heading out to look for pinball machines out on location around town.
tough_girls_cruisin (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago

Picture taken just before heading out to look for pinball machines out on location around town.

Is that the "Lizzie's" from the warriors movie? She is going to shoot out her tire.

#23 2 years ago

Don't know about all of the other states and provinces, but not very many pinball machines can be found out on location at public places in Louisiana. Mostly in Louisiana we just play pinball at a friend's house who collects machines and has a gameroom. So, when you do find a new (to you) pinball machine out in the wild that is not on one of the Pin Maps, it is sort of a big deal.

#24 2 years ago

Im always in "drive by."Since the 80s.

#25 2 years ago

Update on the pinball machine I found last week while driving by a business.
* It is a Bally NBA Fastbreak, set on 3-balls per game
* It's in very good condition overall, cabinet is not all dinged up, playfield decent and could be made to shine
* Most everything seemed to work on the playfield. Machine was level (from side-to-side), played fast but not too fast.
* Earned a few extra balls, won a few games, got to enter my initials twice.
Here is some of the good news:
* Business owner was friendly, and said he plans to add one or more additional pinball machines during 2017.
* Price per game set at a whopping $0.25 Score!!
NBA_Fastbreak-cab-Jan2017-LafLA (resized).jpg
NBA_Fastbreak-LafLA-Jan2017 (resized).jpg
Glad I went in there to check it out, and was happy to find a machine in decent playable condition, and only a quarter a game to play.

#26 2 years ago

Im mobile at work so stop at different places for lunch daily. Always looking out for places that might have a pin. Last week i stopped into an arbys to get a roast beef. There was a bally wcs94 in the corner!! Of all places arbys! I scarfed my food and then put up high score #1. Gc was way out there though. Ill be back to try and conquer it for sure!

#27 2 years ago

Update on the pinball machine I found last week while driving by a business.
* It is a Bally NBA Fastbreak, set on 3-balls per game
* It's in very good condition overall, cabinet is not all dinged up, playfield decent and could be made to shine
* Most everything seemed to work on the playfield. Machine was level (from side-to-side), played fast but not too fast.
* Earned a few extra balls, won a few games, got to enter my initials twice.
Here is some of the good news:
* Business owner was friendly, and said he plans to add one or more additional pinball machines during 2017.
* Price per game set at a whopping $0.25 Score!!

Glad I went in there to check it out, and was happy to find a machine in decent playable condition, and only a quarter a game to play.

What kind of business was it?

#28 2 years ago

The NBAFB was actually not in the bar like I first thought, but was in the little business next door to it.
It seems their focus is making specialty popcorn, and had a side room for throwing little kids b-day parties.
I didn't ask about the popcorn, but I did see bags of different colors of popcorn.
Perhaps they do carmel covered popcorn and stuff like that.
They did have a small step stool or two that kids could stand on to play the pinball machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 89.99
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 279.95
$ 50.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 47.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 279.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside