7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by playboywillis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Wish there was a barcade where I live. Bumpernets in Bham is awesome but I won't show up all buzzed to a mall where kids hangout.
    When I get my first pin, I know my scores will be low bc I can't wait to do some boozeballin'

#2 7 years ago

Booze & pinball are great.

I am better sometimes when drunk, like I'm controlling the ball with my mind. Seems like Max Payne "Bullet Time" or something where it's all in slowmo & easily controlled.

Then I black out & play horribly

#3 7 years ago

Just don't get drinking then decide to start fixing things on you pinball because that usually never works out well!

#4 7 years ago

A few drinks usually loosens me up a bit but a few more blows out my reaction times. A few more and its time to start posting on Pinside. Not.

#5 7 years ago

LOL +2 silverballer.

#6 7 years ago

Three drinks max. More than that and I can't put up any scores! Fun, yes. Scores, no!

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from britrex1:

Just don't get drinking then decide to start fixing things on you pinball because that usually never works out well!

Il have to disagree, I do my best work while the toxins are at work. Something I couldn't figure out before only takes 6-7 beers and I'm an instant genius. Ha

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsrus:

6-7 beers and I'm an instant genius.

And an expert driver???

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from britrex1:

Happens every time....

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

And an expert driver???

Ha no that's one thing I won't mix

#11 7 years ago

I am an ace bowler when drunk, crap bowler when sober. Same principle, I guess.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from britrex1:

Just don't get drinking then decide to start fixing things on you pinball because that usually never works out well! []

+1000

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from captkirk:

I am an ace bowler when drunk, crap bowler when sober. Same principle, I guess.

Me too, I was at least 3 pitchers in when i rolled a 300 and then 299 the next year.....golf is the same way for me too....and of course pinball, always better with beer..

#14 7 years ago

Thats why I put a game in my basement in the first place that started this addiction of game collecting. I did't want to have to drive home from a bar with a pinball game in it!

#15 7 years ago

I am supremely blessed that the best pinball bar around also happens to be the closest to my apartment. So, gettin' blasted and balling is no big deal. Which would explain why I'm there three nights a week.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I am better sometimes when drunk, like I'm controlling the ball with my mind. Seems like Max Payne "Bullet Time" or something where it's all in slowmo & easily controlled.

Only way to play pinball when its hot as hell outside, or having friends over for some multiplayer games. Either in your collection at home, or at a bar. Pop open a cold one, and hope to god you have enough concentration to even successfully flipper flail. Its the best you can hope for sometimes after a few cold ones.

The best is doing shots while playing a multiplayer game. Whoever tilts has to take 2 shots, miss skill shots you gotta take a shot, tilt warning will get you a shot. Get a number match after the game is over, and you don't have to buy the next round (or have to bring back a drink from your fridge). Fun.

#17 7 years ago

Now you're reminding me of days in the early 1990s in West Lafayette, hitting Comedy Caravan on Tuesday night, drinking Long Islands, then stopping by the Levee Laundromat on the walk home to play some pinball. I put a high score on Earthshaker back then after having 4 Long islands, even though I was too drunk to really be able to shake the machine any at all.

Nowadays I only have to navigate my stairway to be able to play drunk pinball.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

And an expert driver??? []

Whoever is awful at pinball...the one guy who gravitates to the Big Buck Hunter gun game at the bar/arcade...or heads toward the video games in your pinball gameroom....THATS your designated driver.

Thats what we used to do back in the day, playing my dream game Monster Bash in college. We'd get s*&!faced doing some off-the-wall stuff in the game, but we'd be responsible enough to have someone drive us home. Haha.

#19 7 years ago

Man I would like to open a pinbar but they are probably few and far between because they are not profitable.

#20 7 years ago

Have a Shorty's style place in Sydney.... Would be great.

#21 7 years ago

Shorty's, Add-A-Ball, and Dorky's are all good boozeballin' places in Puget Sound. At Shorty's you can get mixed drinks as well.
    The garage at the House With No Name is even better because there aren't any closing hours. Ten machines.
    There are a couple of people here who actually brew beer for tournaments and pinball parties. I'm one of them.

#22 7 years ago

Alcohol kills reaction times. I like to have a beer or two but it probably hinders my playing. If I am really trying to kill a game I do it sober.

#23 7 years ago

I used to be a heavy drinker. One of my favorite things to do was tie one on and play pinball. I quit drinking about a year and a half ago. Many of the things I used to enjoy while drinking aren't as enjoyable. It has been a real struggle. Interestingly, pinball is the one activity that remains enjoyable, even sober. Frankly, pinball is what gets me through some of the strong cravings and down times. An added bonus is that I play even better than before. I owned WH2O for 10 years and never got the VJ. Since I got sober I have gotten it three times. Certainly no judgement on anyone else who enjoys drinking and playing pinball. I wish I still could, I just don't have the off button.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsrus:

Il have to disagree, I do my best work while the toxins are at work. Something I couldn't figure out before only takes 6-7 beers and I'm an instant genius. Ha

You must drink Guiness - Brilliant! Lol

When I have parties at my house with my friends that aren't really pinball people but do enjoy playing. There are a few guys who always like to play 2,3 or 4 player games and the losers have to do shots of the winners choice. I played that one night early on when I wasn't as good of a player and needless to say that was enough of that for me. After an hour of only winning one game of about 10 I was DONE!

#25 7 years ago

I've never tried to play while drinking, I don't think I'd help my game any.
    However, a little bit of shrubbery helps my game immensely. I call it my "pinball performance enhancing drug".

#26 7 years ago

I don't know if its the drinking or the competition that makes me play better because I only drink and play when I'm playing with others. But that is when I've had my best games.

#27 7 years ago

3 beers is the magic number.

#28 7 years ago

beer/pinball < acid/pinball

#29 7 years ago

Both beer and shrubbery throw me off. I can maybe have a beer, or a whiskey, but definitely no shrubbery. I just panic when the ball comes at the flippers!

#30 7 years ago

TZ drunk, not so good. HS2 drunk is fantastic.

#31 7 years ago

Energy Drinks + Pinball for me = some high scores

#32 7 years ago

I've always noticed that I do much better after about 3-4 beers.

That's always been the case in any hand eye coordination game for me. Pool, FPS computer games, pinball, etc.

I don't ever seem to stop after 3-4 though...then my game goes to hell in a handbag. However, by that point I'm not minding at all.

I keep a keg on tap, and I'm thinking about adding two more taps to the basement (once I'm done the renos). Pinball and beer. It's like peanut butter and jam.

#33 7 years ago

That's my problem too. 2-3 beers and I am In The Zone. More or less than that, anything could happen. Shrubbery does help, but sometimes it really seems to help when I've had nothing to drink. I think it's more that out here in Puget Sound with so many legal medicinal med-class shrubberies there's actually room for experimentation.
    Me, I've always suffered from rather bad ADHD (they called it hyperkinesis in my day). Shrubbery helped to slow my brain down to where I could have coherent conversations with other people.
    So I think the shrubbery quest is on for that special type of indica that produces an energetic high, rather than a stupefying high (too many) or a horny high (some, but worth noting).
    We are going to be adding a kegerator downstairs in the garage so I can serve homebrew to my friends when they come over to play.

Firebaall: It really is as you say. Pinball and beer is like peanut butter and jam. Good analogy. I'm gonna quote that one (but you'll get the credit).

#34 7 years ago

I always play better when I've had a few. I know it sounds ridiculous...but I think that I just quit over thinking and flow better. All of my high scores have been set with a few drinks.

#35 7 years ago

I enjoy my shrubbery and pinball.

#36 7 years ago

My two words for good playing have always been 'relax' and 'concentrate', not always easy to do at the same time. Beer and shrubbery have both been known to help but in moderation. My bestest is usually done dead straight but in the right mood.
    Having said that how good is the mighty Ackadacka with the volume up and six beers down!! Yeaah!

#37 7 years ago

shrubbery. lol I love code words!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from hanford29:

I wish I still could, I just don't have the off button.

Was about a fifth a day here for many, many years. It's been about 18 months since the taper down started, about a year since complete stoppage. I would still have one at a party, just don't enjoy it like I used to, almost like taste buds changed. So pinball came in and I was dry. I might never know what it is like to play pinball blitzed. I wish you had lost the craving. I mean it is like even a cold beer on a HOT day just lost it's appeal. I have lots more time with my family, who I am amazed stuck around during the drunk years. If I was in Cali getgreensticks.com might be a great way to enjoy pinball while relaxing, here in arkansas we will never get that chance.

It would have been hard for me to two fist, play pinball with the kids, and explain what I was doing and why they could not have a drink from my cup. I got to/get to skip that now. Which is cool, except *surprise* those kids eye hand coordination is just better now than mine. My 11 year old took out my high score on XMen...on his THIRD game. He was sober.

#39 7 years ago

I'm so happy that "shrubbery" took off with you guys! I've been trying to get that word in circulation for 17 years or so! Spread the good word!!!

#40 7 years ago

Booze + Pins = Better play

Chron + Pins = Worse play

I have to add the booze tends to take a sharp turn back downhill after about 6 - 8 for me. But have been known to have that idiot savant round and barely remember it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside