(Topic ID: 58521)

Pinball Donut Girl -- how I would have written it...

By steely_menace

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PROTH.jpg
    DONUTSeeds.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Sorry, I thought the Pinball Donut Girl story/film could have been better. Here’s how I would have written it…

I would have made the main character Julie a 1970’s dressing skater who loses her arm in a horrific skateboarding accident and has to wear a prosthetic. While recovering from her injury, she discovers pinball and discovers she’s quite good. She adopts some great flipper moves and applies “skateboard trick names” to all of them – for example, a bounce pass is now an “Ollie”. She takes a job at a donut shop (with a Skateball pinball machine) and meets the character played by Jane Wiedlin.

Jane is a pinball player too. She teaches Julie a lot of advanced flipper skills and tells Julie stories about the PAPA tournament. Julie makes it her mission to make enough money to play at PAPA. Jane and Julie become friends, but then have a falling out when Julie starts spending all of her free time with Matt…

Matt is the love interest with a special talent – picking locks and bypassing security alarms. They meet when he breaks into Jane’s donut shop at night and finds Julie playing an all-nighter of pinball there. They hook up and together they break into vacationing people’s homes so Julie can hone her pinball skills on different basement collections.

Julie makes it to Pittsburgh. Julie plays really well and becomes a tournament favorite. She even qualifies for the PAPA tournament’s playoffs. On the morning of the playoffs, Julie’s prosthetic is stolen. So, she has to play in the PAPA playoffs one-handed! But she continues to win and qualifies for the finals!

During the semi-finals, one of the pinballs malfunctions. It is substituted for another pin – Skateball, the same pin that was in Jane’s donut shop! This sets up a great finals matchup between Julie and Jane. The former friends are now bitter pinball rivals.

Wouldn’t you want to know how this ends?

#2 10 years ago

uhh......wut?

#3 10 years ago

I have never seen the actual donut girl, but your story is interesting....the thoughts that must run around in your head

You may be onto something

DONUTSeeds.jpgDONUTSeeds.jpg

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from steely_menace:

On the morning of the playoffs, Julie’s prosthetic is stolen. So, she has to play in the PAPA playoffs one-handed!

Oscar-worthy stuff, man! I love it.

#5 10 years ago

Wouldn’t you want to know how this ends?

If it involves anal; yes.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If it involves anal; yes.

With a prosthetic.

#7 10 years ago

With a prosthetic.

Might be painful...think she might be a SM fan

PROTH.jpgPROTH.jpg

#8 10 years ago

I would love to see the actual movie. Where can I find it? Thanks

#9 10 years ago

I would totally watch this.

#10 10 years ago

I once dated a girl whose ex-boyfriend was a one handed juggler, lost his hand at the wrist, so when I asked if she'd ever been stumpf$cked, I got kicked out of her trailer! I think because the answer was yes.

#11 10 years ago

I think it would be a better mini series

#12 10 years ago

You could call it ,The adventure of Jane and Julies doughnut holes.

#13 10 years ago

On the morning of the playoffs, Julie’s prosthetic is stolen. So, she has to play in the PAPA playoffs one-handed! But she continues to win and qualifies for the finals!

Quoted from krupa:

Oscar-worthy stuff, man! I love it.

Except that it's already been done. Not so ironically, the movie also had Pin in the title.

#14 10 years ago

More than interesting stuff.

#15 10 years ago

I would have been happy with ANY sort of plot in PDG. I mean this is pretty much the plot of the movie:
    Girl works in donut shop, she's taking donations to fund her trip to a pinball competition. Her boyfriend is stealing her donations to pay for donuts. One of the fraternity pledges flirts with her, learns a couple skills from her. They're caught making out by her crappy boyfriend, throws something at the mars attacks and breaks the backglass. She goes to the pinball competition with pledge guy, can't really tell if they won or not.

I really had higher expections after waiting 2 years. I really liked the wade krause extra, I think she should stick to documentaries instead of fiction.

#16 10 years ago

A common complaint about the movie: needs more donuts, needs more pinball, needs more sex. (Preferably all at once)

#17 10 years ago

Yeah, I don’t want to come down too hard on the Pinball Donut Girl movie because it was a labor of love, but the main feature just falls short on so many levels. As a movie, I didn’t find any of the characters very interesting, the plot lacking, and most of the acting cringe-worthy – although I did like the actor who played Matt.

From a pinball perspective, there wasn’t enough pinball! It never really captured the thrill of playing pinball (or collecting pinball), the grandeur of seeing the PAPA facility (hundreds of pins under one roof!) or the excitement of competing in a tournament.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-donut-girl-how-i-would-have-written-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.