View topic image gallery

20220320_135317 (resized).jpg
20210811_200114 (resized).jpg
C934C2FA-57A4-4C42-A3E0-1F6BDCF97AF7 (resized).jpeg
B.R.O. (resized).jpg
6E5EBC9C-8982-49BB-91A4-0108BABF0564 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

More than once over the years I have noticed that there are disc golfers in this community. Let’s start a thread! If anyone is ever in Denver lmk we can go and throw!

What’s your home course? What’s your favorite disc?

Can we get a disc golf themed machine someday? Maybe a P3 sub game or something.

I’ve been playing since 1997 and throw mostly discraft and Vibram. But lately I’ve been enjoying dynamic discs. Favorite discs wizard, buzz, and un-lace. Favorite local course Johnny Roberts’s and Adams Hollow

#2 2 years ago

Fellow disc golfer here!

Throw mainly Innova and Gateway being from STL. Favorite course is Eagles Crossing in hawk point Mo. There is a GK Pro skins match there with Simon, Eagle, Conrad and Nate Sexton.

#3 2 years ago

I play with my kids a decent amount. We're new to the sport so not a lot of skills yet. They do love to play though. Lots of woodsy courses between NJ and VT, so it's like life size pinball. The course we play the most often is a nice hilly one In Brattleboro VT at Living Memorial Park. Also played some in Allentown while taking a Pinfest break with another Pinsider.

Doubt you'll ever see a disc golf pin, maybe yo can retheme a NGG or Teed Off.

#4 2 years ago

I haven’t played much lately, but got started in the mid-late 70s. Bayville Farms Park was among the earliest courses in the country. I remember the first time I played. My dad and I didn’t realize that there were specialized disks, and played that round with a couple of Wham-O frisbees.

I guess Bayville is still my ‘home’ course. I throw at Munden Point Park, too. I’m mainly an Innova guy. I like the Cheetah on narrow, tree dense fairways. It’s not the fastest, but allows really good control.

#5 2 years ago

Home course: Borderland State Park Easton, MA. I try to get to Maple Hill or Pyramids near Worcester whenever I can. Mostly play Innova, Discraft and Millennium. Favorite discs are Millenium JLS, Innova Eagle / Orc , Discraft Passion / StratusX

Hopefully we won't see much snow around here this winter

#6 2 years ago

I Love to Frolf! I have been playing since the 80's. Home course is Woodland mound but we are so lucky to have lots of courses in our area. If anyone is ever in the area and wanting to throw a round hit me up

#7 2 years ago

Yoooooooo! Checking in from SoCal. Home course is Kit Carson Park in Escondido. Rolling with an all Discmania bag lately for fun, but love a Discraft Meteor and basically anything that gives me extra glide to overcome my lack of power.

I used to work for the PDGA, now I do marketing for UDisc. It's a ton of fun and just insane how much this sport is growing. Happy to see there is some crossover between the hobbies! I was actually thinking about starting a pinball stream where I also chat disc golf/interview pros. Could be fun!

#8 2 years ago

Been frolfing for 30+ years. My dad started dragging me around Sedgley Woods in Philly (2nd Oldest course!) when I was kid. For a little while there I was the 3rd/4th ranked jr in the country!...There were only like 6 of us Basically, I was the only kid to show up at some ranked tournies for a couple years. It was fun seeing my name in the PDGA magazine.

Still play regularly. Still just chucking Discraft and Innova discs even though I know there are like 5 other companies in the game now.

Quoted from zombywoof:

Bayville Farms Park was among the earliest courses in the country. I remember the first time I played.

Bayville is a fun little course. I get to the area a couple times a year for work and usually bring some discs along. I threw a round there with my boss a couple years back and hit an ace! If you're ever in the Philly area, Sedgley has a very similar feel to Bayville.

10 or so years ago, I was traveling somewhere and had like 5 discs in my carry-on. TSA was so confused. They pulled me aside and I had to explain what disc golf was

#9 2 years ago

Love me some disc golf! Favorite course around here for me would be Wickham in Manchester.

#10 2 years ago

You should check out the course at the college in Leadville, but bring some good hiking shoes!

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1138

#11 2 years ago

Been playing for many many years built a full 19 hole course on my property a lot different than when I originally listed it just put in concrete tee pads last year

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=8033

#12 2 years ago

I used to throw plastic a lot, I even have a pretty nice little course at the park in my neighborhood, but I haven't gotten out to play in a long time now

#13 2 years ago

member of the disc golf club, been playing around 15 years. My home course is willow stream, which is pretty basic 9 hole, open course, but only 5 minutes from my house. No great courses in Chicago area, a new one an hour north of me is supposed to be quite nice, but have not had a chance to play it. There are a couple of courses in western Michigan that I hit when traveling to Ann arbor for football games, that I really enjoy. Have played courses in NC, NV, CT, ME, VT, GA, MI, IL since a single mid-range disc in the luggage is so easy to do.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Boondocker:

You should check out the course at the college in Leadville, but bring some good hiking shoes!
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1138

I played that once that’s a tough course.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from MikefromCT:Love me some disc golf! Favorite course around here for me would be Wickham in Manchester.

Great course, one of my favorites, have played it four or five times. The view of Hartford when you get to the top of the 15th? hole is pretty spectacular, especially at sunset. Course has great variety of length, woods and open fields, hills, etc.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Great course, one of my favorites, have played it four or five times. The view of Hartford when you get to the top of the 15th? hole is pretty spectacular, especially at sunset. Course has great variety of length, woods and open fields, hills, etc.

Picture hardly does it justice but the view from that hole is amazing.

6E5EBC9C-8982-49BB-91A4-0108BABF0564 (resized).jpeg6E5EBC9C-8982-49BB-91A4-0108BABF0564 (resized).jpeg
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from MikefromCT:

Picture hardly does it justice but the view from that hole is amazing. [quoted image]

Yup, does not do it justice and part of it is how you come out of the woods and suddenly you have that view. Typically when I am there it is late in the day, and there are folks sitting on the hill to watch the sunset.

2 months later
#19 2 years ago

Actually thought my buddies and I invented disc golf in 2002 by throwing some ultimate lids around campus at statues and fire hydrants. A few years later hosting a poker game a guy shows up late saying he had been disc golfing. I asked the details and soon asked him how much I had to give him right then to have a good set of discs and bag by the weekend. I went all in.

Leagues, led to course building, led to tournies, led to playing NEFA Winter Challenge, led to captaining the Devens, MA winter team, led to regional touring, led to going from AM2 to AM1 to Pro Open. And... then the kiddo comes, tournies go from 22 per summer to 2. Wouldn't change a thing though. We're playing a round in Dallas in a few weeks while on vacation.

I had a great run, got to be on some cards with some great players and people (Avery Jenkins, Jeff Spring) but I only played 1 tourney last year - Brewster River Open (pic of the final hole below, and where World's was a few years ago), and my rust and age were showing (went to VT Co-op Pinball night between rounds to blow off steam!). Next year I can play Pro Masters and my son will just be good enough to get into Rec/Am2. Hell, in P.E. Paige Pierce and I think James Conner came in the Innova van and did a lesson for the elementary school.

For discs I throw there's only ONE criteria - it has to be flat!!! I hate discs with a dome. My hand doesn't feel right when it feels like it's chucking a textbook. Flat Teebirds, Buzz's, and Rhyno's make up the majority of my driver/mid/putter lineup. Throw in a Firebird and Zone for utility/overhands. Have new and beat versions of everything as I can't flick due to a torn labrum. And I'm that one player who unapologetically throws an Innova Groove!

For courses, the northeast gems have been listed above (Maple, Borderlands, Wickham) but I also got to shout out Devens for a cruel change of pace. Also Tully Lake, Flat Rock (Franchie is the man!), Sunapee, and just about every course in VT. Buff (MA) and Hollows (NH) can pound sand. Amesbury (MA) and Pelham (NH) are great for newbies and families. North Calais should be every northeastern player's bucket list course (and those outside the region too).

B.R.O. (resized).jpgB.R.O. (resized).jpg

#20 2 years ago

Smuggs! Worlds will be there again next year, too.

If anyone happened to watch the Las Vegas Challenge last weekend and saw a dude with a pink mohawk walking around in the background...hi, that was me.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

For courses, the northeast gems have been listed above (Maple, Borderlands, Wickham) but I also got to shout out Devens for a cruel change of pace. Also Tully Lake, Flat Rock (Franchie is the man!), Sunapee, and just about every course in VT. Buff (MA) and Hollows (NH) can pound sand. Amesbury (MA) and Pelham (NH) are great for newbies and families. North Calais should be every northeastern player's bucket list course (and those outside the region too).
[quoted image]

All those courses look really fun. I only had the chance to play one course in the northeast. Pleasant hill disc golf in Maine. It was a beautiful course.

C934C2FA-57A4-4C42-A3E0-1F6BDCF97AF7 (resized).jpegC934C2FA-57A4-4C42-A3E0-1F6BDCF97AF7 (resized).jpeg
#22 2 years ago

I have tried a few new discs lately. I’m really liking the escape. It’s a good compliment to my un-lace I throw. I picked up a rainmaker putter. Really loving this disc. Will buy more once they come around. This past week I tried an astronaut. I’m intrigued by it but haven’t had a chance to really see if it fits in my bag. Speed 12 is usually to much rim for me but this one seems a little skinnier.

#23 2 years ago

Disc Golf is definitely my other major Hobby. Doing the math I have been playing for 20 years, started in College at UCF in Florida. I'm a course bagger and try to play every course I can. I have something like 775 courses played and pushing to join the 1000 courses played club one day. I designed Pharaoh's Tomb at White Bank Park in Colonial Heights VA https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2564. I am currently working on a 18 hole Tiki course at my house so I guess that is literally my home course, but Goyne/Ecoff and White Bank are close seconds. Love when DGers complain about it being an expensive hobby, I laugh as I'm going to have a 18 hole Mach II course for a good bit less than a NIB pinball. Year or so ago I swapped my whole bag for RPM discs as I have a fondness for New Zealand and like that the discs are named after their native birds. Their drivers need a few more options but it has forced me to work on my mid game. Though the Pekapeka is a solid disc. I can't believe the growth of the sport and the recent sponsorship deals people are getting. Makes me wish I was younger, would love to travel and make a living disc golfing.

#24 2 years ago

Nice thread. Played for several years before moving to my current residence. Now looking to get back into it again with a buddy that has shown interest. Just waiting for some warmer weather.

1 week later
#25 2 years ago

I used to play once in a while but I haven't been out in a couple years. It's definitely one of the more fun ways to "exercise." I definitely prefer golf (ball golf as it's called hilariously) more but it's fun to throw a disc now and again too. I may have to get back into it.

#26 2 years ago

Used to play quite a bit...especially in college. Not nearly as much anymore. I loved heading out with a single disc and showing up individuals with a huge bag. I actually have a bag but mostly just play with a Classic Roc.

#27 2 years ago

Intersting read on the boom in disc golf during the pandemic and how the disc makers are struggling to keep up . . .

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americas-business-challenge-can-be-told-in-two-words-disc-golf-11648215832

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Intersting read on the boom in disc golf during the pandemic and how the disc makers are struggling to keep up . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/americas-business-challenge-can-be-told-in-two-words-disc-golf-11648215832

I may or may not be quoted in this article.

Definitely interesting parallels between hobbies here, for sure.

#29 2 years ago

Disc golf is definitely in my bag of hobbies. At one time my wife and I had played all 125 courses in Colorado (there are probably closer to 200 courses now). My favorite is called Ghost Town and is near Black Hawk/Central City.

#30 2 years ago

I get out a couple times a week weather permitting. Been playing since 99.
Favorite disc I cannot live without is the Vulcan. Second favorite is the Katanna.
Favorite local courses would be prompton lake, and blue mtn ski area as the downhills are epic.
I've landed 21 hole in one's in the 23 yrs I've been playing. Complete rush when I hit 3 in a 45 day span playing with the same 2 people. Even more intense 2 of em were on a brand new course on hole one after just stepping outta the car. Even more surprising is the fact I'm just a mediocre player that can't putt for shit.
I recommend everyone give it a go as it's a great way to spend some time outsidein nice locals and anyone can be the star with a little practice.

#31 2 years ago

I’m pretty new to disc golf but I love it. Another pinsider got me into it and I’m stoked the snow is melting so I can get back out throwing.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from tigzzz:

Disc golf is definitely in my bag of hobbies. At one time my wife and I had played all 125 courses in Colorado (there are probably closer to 200 courses now). My favorite is called Ghost Town and is near Black Hawk/Central City.

I love ghost town. Great course great people.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Great article thanks for the link

1 month later
#34 1 year ago

I’m a fight fan so I think it’s pretty cool that Ben askren is also into disc golf and has his own course. Any other celebrities that disc golf?

#35 1 year ago

That’s cool. I didn’t know that. I think comedian Bert kreischer (sp?) is recently into it. Probably a few others.

#36 1 year ago

Celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern is huge into disc golf. The guys from the band Tycho play. There are a lot of us out there.

Askren actually hosted a one-day Pro/Am at his course last year.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

I have tried a few new discs lately. I’m really liking the escape. It’s a good compliment to my un-lace I throw. I picked up a rainmaker putter. Really loving this disc.

Not loving the rainmaker.. have 2, one never thrown. But Vibram.. interesting. My go to putter is the Summit, and so much so I have a glow Summit. Been throwing a lot of MVP and kind of took over my bag. I have a lot of understable as I tend to throw on a hyzer. Not sure why, but I do. Developed that bad habit about 6 months ago. My two sons 18, and 30, play with me. Headed to the MVP Circuit Challenge near us the end of May. Great times! We take pics of made putts from the spot we throw from for fun and bragging rights. One shows my older son doing the happy dance, the other seemed like an impossible putt by my younger son (to up the difficulty, he made the putt on a knee).

20210811_200114 (resized).jpg20210811_200114 (resized).jpg20220320_135317 (resized).jpg20220320_135317 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-disc-golfers?hl=jrbbrj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.