2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 175 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jackontherocks
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

christ (resized).jpg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2523 (resized).JPG
    propeller_schematic (resized).jpg
    propeller_markup (resized).jpg
    first_setup (resized).jpg
    amh2 (resized).jpg
    hardware_1 (resized).png
    amh1 (resized).jpg
    Schematic-Picture (resized).png
    chunky (resized).png
    graphic_compare_TB (resized).jpg
    big (resized).jpg
    now lets all agree (resized).png
    image-2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topmoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago

There are a few things on my wish list:

I'd like to see more story-based games. Not just scenes from a movie shuffled into a random order like Star Wars, but gameplay that tells a complete story with a beginning, middle and end, where a player's choices effect their consequences. Getting a high score doesn't interest me - I'm way more invested in completing a quest or a story line.

A departure from the standard fan layout. Any departure at all, really. Even a game with Bally-style reverse in lanes would be fantastic.

A mechanical, interactive playfield toy. Think MM's castle and POTC's ship, rather than a passive sculpture like Sparky or Gene Simmons. It's been over a decade since we had a really good, innovative and engaging toy that's fun to interact with.

Save Multiball for a special occasion. It should be something that's earned and able to be achieved once or twice per game. Looking at Star Wars videos, it seems like you're in a Multiball setting about 70% Of the time, which seems exhausting and frustrating.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Seems like a brute force/lowest common denominator thing going on with Star Wars. "People like multiball, lets do lots of multiball, people will like that" "People love big scores, lets make sure the score is huge"

Agreed. Also, the purpose of pinball has changed. It used to be "let's make a game someone can enjoy for 20 minutes while waiting for a table at a restaurant."

Now it's "Let's make a game specifically for PAPA tournaments. And make sure it's so complicated and difficult to play that home users can't achieve the final wizard mode after a year or more of practice."

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Different lower third configurations. Scissor flippers, reversed in/outlanes, lower pop bumpers, ball-save gates and posts, make nudging matter.
    Different playfield dimensions. Longer, wider, taller, shorter, backbox play, something, anything different.
    Love the idea of moving outlane posts that could be set per player, or change per mode.

I remember reading that one of the B/W designers wanted to try a fan-shaped playfield layout - narrow in the front and wide in the back, to maximize shot efficiency. It would require a new cabinet design, but it sounds like a cool idea.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from deluge:

Simply, I wish games had more of a focus and relation to the theme (licensed or not) they represent. Its starting to feel more and more like whitewoods get designed and whatever license of the month is available gets slapped on. I'm not saying the 'story' has to be deep but there is something to be said for games driven by an overarching or a few goals related to that theme. GB you collect ghosts. You kill zombies in TWD. HS and Getaway you are speeding up to get away from the cops. Having plalyfield 'toys' to match really helps, too. I mean, you can say what you will about Wrestlemania but its a wrestling game with a wrestling rink in it. Makes sense to me. Then you get SW and there a little figure on a spring?
    You'd think Star Wars versus anything (in any field) would be a no contest but I think a lot of the reason DI has been pulling its weight is because it has a simple story and integrates the gimmicks of the playfield into that story.
    Oh, and star rollovers. Man, do I love those things. I am tempted to buy a Strikes and Spares just so I can get all ten of those sweet rollovers.

This! My favorite game is TOTAN, where you get to attack rocs, battle a cyclops, compete in a camel race and fight skeleton warriors and an evil genie. Compare that to ACDC, where you... Hit drop targets and shoot ramps. My point is that theme integration is essential.

Also, +1 on star rollovers.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Check out Fathom. The outlanes and inlanes are reversed.

Fathom, Vector, Mr & Mrs Pac Man and Skateball to name a few that use it. Bally used to Use them in the early 80's. Also called "crossover" return lanes and they were awesome.

2 weeks later
    #165 2 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

The art on the new Stern Star Wars could have been SO much better with very little cost (might have cost them an LE game) Spring for the cost of all new art on a Playfield with a Class A fantasy artist, find someone that can tell a story... Shoe a character here... and one there; simply for the sake of needing to show X number of characters.
    Unfortunately this trend has continued in to movie posters... consider the following original concept design pieces compared to the more recent "special edition"

I agree with you about hand-drawn art over photo collages, but Drew Struzan is the best fantasy artist of all time...

Of. All. Time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 209.99
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 6.95
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 29.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topmoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside