(Topic ID: 197539)

Pinball Designers... Please listen!

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

christ (resized).jpg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2523 (resized).JPG
    propeller_schematic (resized).jpg
    propeller_markup (resized).jpg
    first_setup (resized).jpg
    amh2 (resized).jpg
    hardware_1 (resized).png
    amh1 (resized).jpg
    Schematic-Picture (resized).png
    chunky (resized).png
    graphic_compare_TB (resized).jpg
    big (resized).jpg
    now lets all agree (resized).png
    image-2 (resized).jpg
    There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Isn't PinHeck a massive dead end in terms of future expansion? I mean, even Spooky did a newer revision.

What do you mean. RZ uses PinHeck REV7D. We have a REV8 EOTL in the works for Bible Adventures Part 1.

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

This topic got boring all of a sudden.

I don't know, I'm in the process of designing my own electronics and software for my own machine, so I geek out at learning the details of others. And for the record, mine is much more of a WTF kludge than PinHeck lol

And besides, the interesting part is that it looks like we can add yet another pin manufacturer to the list in possible legal trouble for intellectual property violations. How many are we up to now?

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from etlandfill:

And besides, the interesting part is that it looks like we can add yet another pin manufacturer to the list in possible legal trouble for intellectual property violations. How many are we up to now?

What a load of rubbish. There would be nothing to gain by either party taking the matter any further. In fact there would be everything to lose. I think everyone should just move on and get back to making great pinball.

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from etlandfill:

So for anyone taking notes, I guess we can add "don't steal others' code" to the list of recommendations to pinball designers.

The fact something like this needs to be added to the list in the first place is the most disconcerting part.

Quoted from vicjw66:

So every time there is a code update or bug fix Homepin is going to pay for shipping to Australia to swap out boards? And in the meantime, people's games are dead in the water? Really?

Apparently it is all industry standard stuff - there are no secrets or surprises here at all.

Quoted from LonghornEngineer:

What do you mean. RZ uses PinHeck REV7D. We have a REV8 EOTL in the works for Bible Adventures Part 1.

Exodus 20:15 mode. Make it so.

#155 6 years ago

In the end it's not that big of a deal. It was open source and available for a while.

Just bugs me that he's denying it instead of saying thanks.

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

What a load of rubbish. There would be nothing to gain by either party taking the matter any further. In fact there would be everything to lose. I think everyone should just move on and get back to making great pinball.

It's not my call whether they should pursue it or not, that's up to Ben and his team, and it sounds like it's not a big deal to them. That's fine! Good for them! But when you have yet another company that refuses to acknowledge that they stole the design without either paying or giving a thanks, that's a problem for the industry. Why not just say "hey, you put together a good system and it was open source, so we used it. Thanks! " Claiming credit for others' work or making some ridiculous claim that the pinball code was provided by Microchip (or whoever they fumbled their way to) doesn't earn you my business.

#157 6 years ago

Still boring

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

In the end it's not that big of a deal. It was open source and available for a while.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an admission.

At the very least you got it on the record with irrefutable proof which is what matters to those who matter.

#159 6 years ago

Designers should stay true to themselves. Do not let the powers that be restrict your creativity with unreasonable low production budgets. Please understand that even though the Manufacture takes most ownership of the finished product. People who know pinball always refer to the designer as the owner. This is your vision and your reputation at stake. Fight for what you believe in. You owe this to your fans. We are loyal and understanding but not gullible. We have a good sense and realize when there is something missing. No we are not in your head but we can feel when something is falling short. Please stay true to yourselves your fans and this wonderfull thing called pinball.

Yes this also means code!

#160 6 years ago

Build pinball because you love building pinball and everything will be all right.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

We have a good sense and realize when there is something missing. No we are not in your head but we can feel when something is falling short. Please stay true to yourselves your fans and this wonderfull thing called pinball.

Yes this also means code!

Cough.....star wars......cough.

#162 6 years ago

Yoko2una? What do yo disagree with in my last statement? Down vote ? Please explain...

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Even if mike did steal the code, he couldn’t fess up for fear of admission and possibly losing license / getting sued / having to give them a cut or agree to commercial terms? It’s messy.

Question to Ben, if mike openly admitted he took the code and credited you somewhere, would you let him have it with free reign?

#164 6 years ago

The art on the new Stern Star Wars could have been SO much better with very little cost (might have cost them an LE game) Spring for the cost of all new art on a Playfield with a Class A fantasy artist, find someone that can tell a story... Shoe a character here... and one there; simply for the sake of needing to show X number of characters.

Unfortunately this trend has continued in to movie posters... consider the following original concept design pieces compared to the more recent "special edition"

IMG_2523 (resized).JPGIMG_2523 (resized).JPG

IMG_2524 (resized).JPGIMG_2524 (resized).JPG

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

The art on the new Stern Star Wars could have been SO much better with very little cost (might have cost them an LE game) Spring for the cost of all new art on a Playfield with a Class A fantasy artist, find someone that can tell a story... Shoe a character here... and one there; simply for the sake of needing to show X number of characters.
    Unfortunately this trend has continued in to movie posters... consider the following original concept design pieces compared to the more recent "special edition"

I agree with you about hand-drawn art over photo collages, but Drew Struzan is the best fantasy artist of all time...

Of. All. Time.

#166 6 years ago

Please if there’s a god let there Guardians or Maiden be good.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Please if there’s a god let there Guardians or Maoden be good.

Who is doing Guardians? If it's Borg, it will be.

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Drew Struzan is the best fantasy artist of all time...
    Of. All. Time.

Will have to agree to disagree on this when it comes to Star Wars art my favorite is Dave Dorman. And since I am an ex D&D nerd and Larry Elmore is a personal friend of mine, I am prejudice and saying that he's the greatest living fantasy artist.

#169 6 years ago

Will have to agree to disagree on this when it comes to Star Wars art my favorite is Dave Dorman. And since I am an ex D&D nerd and Larry Elmore is a personal friend of mine, I am prejudice and saying that he's the greatest living fantasy artist.

Larry Elmore has a special place for me as an old RPG head. So many influential covers. And great range too, not just the classic D&D, he did things like Shadowrun too.

Drew Struzan is great, but if we're talking all time classics he doesn't outweigh Frank Frazetta in my eyes.

#170 6 years ago

Larry, Drew and Frank all good. But I was always more of a Boris Vallejo fan myself from way back when.

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Larry, Drew and Frank all good. But I was always more of a Boris Vallejo fan myself from way back when.

I am big Boris Vallejo fan myself and used to own one of his original oils. I still regret selling it.

christ (resized).jpgchrist (resized).jpg

#172 6 years ago

I am big Boris Vallejo fan myself and used to own one of his original oils. I still regret selling it.

Yikes. Jesus on roids. I think you were wise to sell it.

2 weeks later
    #173 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

But I am sure he has a name or two he calls you. But don't worry, all his friends call you that name, especially when they are in Toronto...

#174 6 years ago

European pinball artists LOVED Frazetta and Vallejo, their work 'inspired' the look of tons of dodgy Spanish and Italian machines throughout the 80s.

#175 6 years ago

Diveters like used in TOTAN and BSD games and the shots in TOM, ramps that go through the back of game like NASCAR and IM to get more in game and the back double scoop shot like in AFM or whatever it’s called or you know what I am tying to say. Simple thinks I have not seen used in new games from the past.

There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-designers-please-listen/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.