Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jappie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

The world of pinball would be well served by someone who knows how to succinctly explain the basic rules of a pinball machine.

I also play board games and Rodney of “How it’s played” knows how to clearly educate you on a new board game.

Yes we have the live streams where pinheads and even the actual game designers walk you through a game, but the info can at times be somewhat haphazardly presented.

Short of the fact that pinball code constantly evolves these days and a tutorial video shot today may be obsolete tomorrow...why have no manufacturers felt the need to invest in well produced tutorial videos?

#2 4 years ago

Because the average consumer is just that. Average. If and when they decide to dive deeper into a game and its rule set, past the point of the cool design features, multi-balls, and game layout. Then the assumption is the basics have already been learned and the individual is now ready for a Bowen Karens PAPA style tutorial.

Thanks
    Blake

#3 4 years ago

Not really. Just play it and discover for yourself.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Because the average consumer is just that. Average. If and when they decide to dive deeper into a game and its rule set, past the point of the cool design features, multi-balls, and game layout. Then the assumption is the basics have already been learned and the individual is now ready for a Bowen Karens PAPA style tutorial.
    Thanks
    Blake

/\ this

Of course, I will admit that better tutorials might also lead to more interest in the first place.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from SBrothers:

The world of pinball would be well served by someone who knows how to succinctly explain the basic rules of a pinball machine.
    I also play board games and Rodney of “How it’s played” knows how to clearly educate you on a new board game.

Yes we have the live streams where pinheads and even the actual game designers walk you through a game, but the info can at times be somewhat haphazardly presented.
    Short of the fact that pinball code constantly evolves these days and a tutorial video shot today may be obsolete tomorrow...why have no manufacturers felt the need to invest in well produced tutorial videos?

I love me some Rodney! I have watched many really good pinball tutorials, especially the one Buffalo Pinball does on TWD. Every game I own someone does a great tutorial for. You can also just remove the glass and go through the shots by hand to see for yourself what needs to be done. I do this with my 9 year old son and he really enjoys seeing the progression of the game, and it is easier to remember when you do it yourself.

#6 4 years ago

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to get people better involved in the basics of pinball. I play regularly at a wonderful spot in New Hampshire (with a great collection of well taken care of games, shoutout to Tokens Taproom) and the number of times I hear people say something along the lines of "pinball is just a money eating scam because the ball always just goes down the middle," is really frustrating.

Like mentioned above, if somebody is willing to take the initiative to even look up a video, well, the PAPA site has everything you need to know. There are no "basic rules of pinball" beside flipper skills and a glossary. But I do wish there was a better way to get people involved on-site. A better way to help people who walk up to a machine, having never played before, and get them to understand the game.

Everybody deserves the chance to be addicted to pinball.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to get people better involved in the basics of pinball. I play regularly at a wonderful spot in New Hampshire (with a great collection of well taken care of games, shoutout to Tokens Taproom) and the number of times I hear people say something along the lines of "pinball is just a money eating scam because the ball always just goes down the middle," is really frustrating.
    Like mentioned above, if somebody is willing to take the initiative to even look up a video, well, the PAPA site has everything you need to know. There are no "basic rules of pinball" beside flipper skills and a glossary. But I do wish there was a better way to get people involved
    on-site. A better way to help people who walk up to a machine, having never played before, and get them to understand the game.
    Everybody deserves the chance to be addicted to pinball.

Pull them off the newest Stern that is light years past them. And get them playing a well maintained EM from the early to mid 70's. Still 3" flippers so the feel will be the same when they play SS. Yet the shots, nudging, strategy and rule set will start to become apparent.

Thanks
    Blake

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Thanks
    Blake

That's the problem though, isn't it? All the tutorials out there currently are advanced ones aimed usually at tournament players. Wouldn't a newer player who's maybe just purchased their first game, or played a game for the first time at a bar, want to get a beginner's overview of the rules and how to play?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from SBrothers:

why have no manufacturers felt the need to invest in well produced tutorial videos?

To be clear the video showing is not made by the pandemic company correct? I can't find any videos of gameplay rules on their site from a quick look.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

That's the problem though, isn't it? All the tutorials out there currently are advanced ones aimed usually at tournament players. Wouldn't a newer player who's maybe just purchased their first game, or played a game for the first time at a bar, want to get a beginner's overview of the rules and how to play?

I hope there are. I enjoy showing/sharing those conversations with people interested in the "simpler" style of play. In fact the longer I have been in the coin op hobby I find myself seeking out these older machines both pins and vids. And I'm highly intrigued by them for both there mechanical nature/assembly and the ability of the designers to not be hindered by the technology of the time and still be highly creative.

If the majority of newcomers were seeking out EM's I would say yes. They are not. Get the person excited first. Show them the new Stern, JJ, and Spooky pins. As they grow into the hobby they become more aware, more intelligent, and start seeking out information that just 6 months or a year earlier meant nothing too them. Then you can slide them over to a 40+ year old machine that will stomp on their pride, forcing them to learn the basics. And hopefully, just maybe they will be able to appreciate some of the earlier evolution of pinball which can only enhance their love for the game.

Thanks
    Blake

#11 4 years ago

I would watch more pinball tutorials if they were edited down to like 10 minutes or less.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

To be clear the video showing is not made by the pandemic company correct? I can't find any videos of gameplay rules on their site from a quick look.

You are correct...Rodney did these on his own and he has a tremendous knack for explaining a game in a clear and concise manner. The manufacturer did not produce these videos..I don’t think he was paid for them either. That said, he has 230k views for this single video and 172k subscribers so tutorials are consumed by a decent size segment of society.

I realize “average joe’s” aren’t gonna look for pinball tutorials. But I think there’s plenty of enthusiasts who would watch them. Me included!

Probably a niche opportunity for someone to create a third party YouTube channel like Rodney from “how it’s played” did.

Anything you can do as a company to demystify your product and educate your customer adds value. Especially with a sparkly, flashy and confusing Shiny bauble like a pinball machine.

It’s just a detail that I feel is lacking, that’s all.

#13 4 years ago

Well obvious the bottom line for the current companies is they don't see value in it.
    From the videos they provided, the production aspects of their promotional material is pretty limited. But since they already shoot some video, like features in pro or LE, you don't think it would be too hard to through on some gfx and make a little longer video.

In reality I feel someone like Stern enjoys the way they do it now, having deadflip launch videos, which I can understand not everyone is into.

Spooky has their features video...is this what you mean or more stylized, produced etc ?

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Not really. Just play it and discover for yourself.

Pretty amazing I have made it thru 50 years of playing and never needed a tutorial.

I guess I'm one of those fast learners.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from SBrothers:

Probably a niche opportunity for someone to create a third party YouTube channel like Rodney from “how it’s played” did.

Sorry, but you are aware of Bowen's tutorial videos with PAPA right? These videos are actually what got me into pinball in a serious way in the first place.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pretty amazing I have made it thru 50 years of playing and never needed a tutorial.
    I guess I'm one of those fast learners.

The rule sets aren't quite as deep on those pre-1980 games.........

#17 4 years ago

Back at TPF 2018, Bowen said that he was working on 60-90 second video tutorials. Something you could watch quickly before/during a match. That would have been sooooo perfect. It was the same day Spooky hired him. I guess he got sidetracked

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Back at TPF 2018, Bowen said that he was working on 60-90 second video tutorials. Something you could watch quickly before/during a match. That would have been sooooo perfect. It was the same day Spooky hired him. I guess he got sidetracked

There was an audio only tutorial series where various people would record basic tips. Does anyone have the link to that?

EDIT: found it!

https://soundcloud.com/user-292033582

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Sorry, but you are aware of Bowen's tutorial videos with PAPA right? These videos are actually what got me into pinball in a serious way in the first place.

Yeah I’ve watched Bowen’s tutorials. They are very helpful and I’m glad he’s made several of them.

Problem is that as he gets playing a game I find myself getting lost in his descriptions. He references shots, targets without physically pointing them out (which obviously he can’t because his hands are on the flipper buttons).

What I would love to see is a tutorial that is more polished/produced. Doesn’t have to cover every single feature of a game, just highlight the primary (and maybe a few secondary) objectives. Using clear camera angles and graphical pointers/arrows that highlight the targets being discussed.

Today’s pins are leagues more complex than EMs and pre-90s pins. A better tutorial resource would be a big benefit!

Stern’s latest games do incorporate some simple tutorials on their LCDs during idle time. They highlights shots, targets with graphics (Arrows, circles, etc...) to indicate what they do. These are helpful as quick guides while you’re standing in front of the pin.

Just seems like a quick 10min polished walkthrough on YouTube would be a great way to empower players when they walk up to a new title.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from SBrothers:

For basic game play videos, there are couple good resources.

PAPA has a bunch of basic flipper skills videos.

https://papa.org/learning-center/players-guide/#1522695882169-f1e0fd96-e0cc

If you're looking for rules, Bowen's videos are phenomenal. I also learned a lot from his dialog during the videos. I did this because of this, or pay attention to your ball save, or I got that away from the out lane by doing this, etc, etc.

You also have these which are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj1kypAWfgD1vlZJO0hHjgG6S19OPGRCZ

#21 4 years ago

Just to follow up, my favorite way to learn a new machine is get together with a bunch of people from my league, grab a beer, play the game and try to figure it out as a group. That is honestly my favorite part of pinball.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I think it depends on the game how long a tutorial should be.
    And you could have different kinds... Basically like one just tells you the main things to focus on and to avoid and the other more in depth.

But, take a game like Party Zone(which I have never played in person, but been playing a lot digitally). There really only a few shots to focus on that game.

The left ramp and the lock shot for mb. Well, its not a lock per say, but you have to shoot it 3 times to start mb.
    Once you start mb there are 3 shots you need to focus on. Two of the shots build up and light the big bang.
    The left ramp collects it.

Then you just rinse and repeat. You will have to shoot the captain middle saucer shot to light multiball again. There are standups around that shot that you need to hit to light it. But, you'll probably just hit them during bricks to the left ramp.

But, the smarter way to go I think is to just left ramp to right scoop(the robot comic shot). Collect the mystery award which can be a surprise mb. And just go that route. Because even aiming for the Ha ha targets is far safer than aiming for the captain targets. So you'll cycle through more surprise MB that way.

And there you go... That's mostly everything you need to know about party zone. The 1 million and 5 million lower right shot. Isn't worth really going for on purpose. Its dangerous. Go for it on purpose if 5 million is lit and you have 2x playfield scoring activated. That gets activated when you exit mb and lasts the duration of you ball or until you enter mb again.

The eat drink and be merry isn't really worth going for. But, if you do unlock eat. You might you will collect it next time you hit the left ramp. And then you might as well collect drink for 2m. Which is the comic shot. And then if you want to risk the 3 million b merry shot which is the captains you can. Hopefully you'll need that to restart mb, so you'll have more than one reason to go for it.

But, really... Even a simple game like party zone... I think to describe what I just wrote. It be more than 90 seconds.

And I just want to say. Bowen's tutorials are the best. But, sometimes I wish he would play more than just a single game. Cos sometimes he just gets bad luck and bad bounces. And he really does make it seem not just easy to play. But, also easy to talk and play at the same time. And when I explain the rules to games when I am playing with my friends. Generally I have really bad games. And so I have to shut up and focus and then I put in good games.

#23 4 years ago

I think Ballen Van Staal did the best pinball tutorials. Too bad there's so few of them:

#24 4 years ago

Bowen's PAPA tutorials are great. He's a fantastic player and does a super job explaining things. Plus... his enthusiasm is contagious.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I think Ballen Van Staal did the best pinball tutorials. Too bad there's so few of them:

I watched that channels Night Moves tutorial just to better understand a few things about that game. And yep. It was really well done. I just had a few questions on the spinner, the reward collect, and then also the multiball start. And watching that tutorial cleared it all up for me.

9 months later
    #26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I think Ballen Van Staal did the best pinball tutorials.

Quoted from Diospinball:

I watched that channels Night Moves tutorial just to better understand a few things about that game. And yep. It was really well done. I just had a few questions on the spinner, the reward collect, and then also the multiball start. And watching that tutorial cleared it all up for me.

Seems I'm a little late to the party, but cheers guys! I appreciate your comments.

I just made a new video, about the Birth of Tilt. Not so much a tutorial, but more focused on Pinball Education. Part of a series I'm making for the Dutch Pinball Museum.

Enjoy!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-deserves-better-tutorial-videos?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.