(Topic ID: 101517)

Pinball Deserts

By ToucanF16

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Humungus-wasteland_warrior.jpg
    283206.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Memphis is a pinball desert. 1.4 million people in the Memphis metro area and practically nothing to buy and nowhere to play. Pinside.com "where to play" turns up only FIVE pinball machines in the whole metro area.

Any other large metro areas as 'pinball-dry' as Memphis out there?

#2 9 years ago

Indianapolis is extremely dry on location. However, there are many collectors in the area.

#3 9 years ago

Toledo Ohio only has pins in laundromats. Two of them. And they are broken

#4 9 years ago

Here in Syracuse, NY we have 2 distributors with games that are playable. 15 games or so? Then we have one guy from Stanton Amusements who only does enough service to take your quarters. No cleaning, no fixing, no nothing. So sad.
    I went to Newark, NJ a few months ago. Big city, pinside has 2 or 3 games listed I think? I think everyone goes a little more south of NYC, or NYC itself, to play pinball on location.

#5 9 years ago

Pretty sure that about 98% of entire state of Mississippi is a pinball desert, except for a few pins along the Gulf Coast area and perhaps in Jackson area.

Louisiana is not much better. You can find a pin or two on location in the larger cities, but nothing really to brag about.
    Edit: Clarification: Pinchurch in N.O.,LA not included in list of public places to play.
    Edit2: Seems like private pinball machine collections in Louisiana are definitely improving during past 2-3 years.

#6 9 years ago

I thought the title was pinball dessert!

I was looking for some cool cakes and treats!

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

photo 1.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 2.jpg

#8 9 years ago

You made my day! Thanks!

#9 9 years ago

That's an excellent cake. Well done to whoever made it.

#10 9 years ago

WOW I need to find a master baker

#11 9 years ago

Awesome cake!

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I thought the title was pinball dessert! I was looking for some cake.

Quoted from funtimewithdave:

I need to find a master baker.

I thought your post said masterba...never mind.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Memphis is a pinball desert. 1.4 million people in the Memphis metro area and practically nothing to buy and nowhere to play. Pinside.com "where to play" turns up only FIVE pinball machines in the whole metro area.
    Any other large metro areas as 'pinball-dry' as Memphis out there?

Memphis has 5 machines on location?!? I can beat that... Chattanooga has 11... between my basement and my mom's house. The only arcade in town at all closed, and they only had 2 pins and were in business maybe a year or less. I've got to drive 2 hours up to Nashville or 2 hours down to Atlanta to see a pin that isn't owned by my family.

#15 9 years ago

Wow. I figured bigger cities like Memphis would have tons of places to play! I have to drive an hour to Brighton, Farmington hills, or Ann arbor to play a machine! That's horrible! Something must be done! Time for a nationwide pinball place to open!

#16 9 years ago

Boston is starting to turn it around

#17 9 years ago

We'll be adding pins to Garibaldi's in Germantown very soon, with more pins added to the Walker location shortly afterwards. That on location number could shoot up to as high as 10-12.

#18 9 years ago

Miami FL and it's surrounding county used to be a pinball desert (area of 2.6 Million people with around 5 total games on location) Then Arcade Odyssey opened up in 2011 (with 9 pins there at any one time out of a rotation of near 40), so that made things a little better for us pinheads down here

#19 9 years ago

Seattle area, or Pacific Northwest in general is pretty dry as far as buying is concerned. When it comes to places to place, this place is great. So many bars and arcades to choose from, and a superb pinball museum in Seattle.

1 week later
    #20 9 years ago

I in Vancouver BC this week. Lots of places to play pinball here! The picture was taken at Pub 340.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

?..and a superb pinball museum in Seattle.

I will be in Seattle in two weeks. Where is the pinball museum?

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

That's funny. You might have been kidding but I really did read it that way lol. The picture posted of a pinball cake is stellar as well.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Louisiana is not much better. You can find a pin or two on location in the larger cities, but nothing really to brag about.
    Edit: Clarification: Pinchurch in N.O.,LA not included in list of public places to play.
    Edit2: Seems like private pinball machine collections in Louisiana are definitely improving during past 2-3 years.

Confirmed. Louisiana has tiny pockets of pinball (New Orleans and Lake Charles mainly?). I live an hour north of New Orleans and have yet to find any pinheads in my area. There are a couple machines on location, but they are filthy and poorly maintained to the point of being unplayable.

I'd love to be a Pinchurch member but there's no way I could get down there enough to justify it. They're doing great things though.

#24 9 years ago

Birmingham, AL is a dead zone. There's only one place to play in the mall. The 3 pins I've found at the bars around here are never maintained properly. It sucks.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

That's funny. You might have been kidding but I really did read it that way lol. The picture posted of a pinball cake is stellar as well.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

We'll be adding pins to Garibaldi's in Germantown very soon, with more pins added to the Walker location shortly afterwards. That on location number could shoot up to as high as 10-12.

Awesome news for Memphis! I just had a great game on your LW3 today. Love that I can go play some pinball on my lunch break.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I in Vancouver BC this week. Lots of places to play pinball here! The picture was taken at Pub 340.

image.jpg 233 KB

Don't forget to check the pins (10?) at Library Square Public House 300 W Georgia St, Vancouver, BC V6B 6B1 a 5 min walk from Pub 340.

#28 9 years ago

Lets see more pinball desserts!

#29 9 years ago

Chicago for the win. Logan hardware, beercade, galloping ghost arcade.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

The picture was taken at Pub 340.

Which is apparently haunted by Thing! Aaahhh!

283206.jpg283206.jpg
    #31 9 years ago

I wouldn't call Evansville, IN a desert. More like a wasteland. As far as I know, we have 2 JPs, WCS94, BSD, and DW. That's it.

If I want to play any pinball, I have to go three hours away to St. Louis to play at CP Pinball.

Don't get me started on trying to find anything on CL or eBay.

#32 9 years ago

There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pinball machines, the mods, the Novus, and the whole gameroom, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

Humungus-wasteland_warrior.jpgHumungus-wasteland_warrior.jpg

#33 9 years ago

I was in Little Rock, AR a few years back and the only machines I found there were a Starship Troopers at a movie theater and a Data East Tommy at a bowling alley. When I got back home to St. Louis and CP pinball, I kissed the ground.

#34 9 years ago

Honolulu is pretty barren for pins. The few I found, didn't work too well.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I will be in Seattle in two weeks. Where is the pinball museum?

International district, Maynard avenue. Google seattle pinball museum

#36 9 years ago

Not a complete desert, but Houston could use a few more locations. We have The Game Preserve (at least 15 machines that I remember off the top of my head), Joystix (only open 2 nights per month, haven't fully investigated it personally), Poison Girl (3-4 working games out of 7 present), the Pilot at I-45 and Patton (a rather woeful Stern IJ4), and two go-kart tracks with arcades (one off of Texas 249 near I-45, one off of Hempstead Road, neither of which I've been to recently).

Most of the bars which I remember at one time having one or more pinball machines, now either have the stupid punching bag game and/or some combination of the Incredible Technologies vids (Golden Tee, Silver Strike, Powerputt) or are out of business (locaiton is shuttered or has obviously changed identity and ownership).

#37 9 years ago

I'm in Chennai India for the next week. I don't think there's a pinball in the entire country. I have to go to Singapore to find one on the map.

#38 9 years ago

Oh,boy,just try Redding,Calif! there are a FEW machines around town owned by a idiot who doesent have the time to fix them! Anywhay,none of them are newer than Nascar! No places to play north of sacramento all the way to Oregon,thats a desert! Hawkmoon

1 week later
    #39 9 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Oh,boy,just try Redding,Calif!

Hey, I grew up in Redding. Nice to hear from a Pinsider who lives there!

3 weeks later
    #40 9 years ago

I'm in Laredo Texas today. Not even one machine listed for on Pinside map! What am I gonna do.

On a brighter note, they do have a free happy hour at the hotel!

#41 9 years ago

Needham MA. No pinball at all besides my Star Trek and another Pinsider's Jurassic Park.

Has anyone ventured out in my area and found any pins? I'd really like to know, the places I go that have them are 30 minutes away and I'd like to see if there's something local.

2 weeks later
    #42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

Needham MA. No pinball at all besides my Star Trek and another Pinsider's Jurassic Park.
    Has anyone ventured out in my area and found any pins? I'd really like to know, the places I go that have them are 30 minutes away and I'd like to see if there's something local.

Man, I used to live in West Newton. Lanes and Games isn't far off and always had the newest sterns. I remember when Star trek was announced, walked in there an there it was, I was shocked. I would be willing to bet they have a walking dead already.

I know your looking for some in your backyard, but Take the hour drive to Pinball Wizard in Pelham NH if you haven't totally worth it. I always made it a point to go once a month.

I got in to pinball while I lived there. Its a paradise compared to some other parts of the country. Heck there was even a truck stop by my work that had two pins I would hit up on my lunch break.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Confirmed. Louisiana has tiny pockets of pinball (New Orleans and Lake Charles mainly?). I live an hour north of New Orleans and have yet to find any pinheads in my area. There are a couple machines on location, but they are filthy and poorly maintained to the point of being unplayable.

What he said. There's usually 3 or 4 at Barcadia in NOLA in various states of disrepair. I live outside of the city probably not far from radium and besides a filthy SS at the bowling alley, it's a vast wasteland of pinball. Don't get me started on the second hand market in LA... I just figure around $400 for shipping when looking for anything.

Pinchurch sounds fantastic but it's a members only club and if I'm not mistaken, you need an in it or something.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pinball machines, the mods, the Novus, and the whole gameroom, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

Humungus-wasteland_warrior.jpg 24 KB

And now I have a good line to convince the arcade to sell me Doctor Who! Lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.