8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Hellodeadcity
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Dead God. I need a cold brew or a really strong drink.

Maybe I'll take you up on that California Extreme ice cream now johnnyo.

Had the displeasure of seeing some poor pinball machines screaming for help, but to no avail, they remain in the same piss poor shape I found them in a month ago. They were asking for dollar play on them. I didn't know if I should have laughed or cried.

I had to create a story to document the atrocity, and include pictures.

http://pinside.com/pinball/community/articles/pinball-crawl-in-milpitas

I went into the redemption area, and found a really wierd pinball hybrid machine called "Ticket Tac Toe". It drops a pinball from the top of the playfield into a bunch of holes for points. The WPC-95 machine was produced by Midway apparently in 1996, has a dot matrix display, working speaker system, and a pair of flippers. The only thing it had missing was a manual/auto plunger. Wierd as hell. "I LOVE WINNING TICKETS!"

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4334

// Error: Image 1495 not found //

#2 8 years ago

Link to the story is not working :[

#3 8 years ago

Wierd. Maybe a bug for Robin to iron out? Says its published for me, maldoror.

"Just did a return visit to a miniature golf location in Milpitas [Golfland], hoping to see an improvement to the machines they had (POTC, Monopoly, TSPP, Junkyard). I was aware that they had moved around the machines around, to make room for other video game standup cabinets, so was afraid they had gotten rid of the pinballs.

The pins were still there, and in just as bad shape (Monopoly might be in worse shape, as it was powered off)...only now in almost unplayable shape with the pinball machine placements; sitting directly under some nasty glare causing light fixtures.

There was a few people who were interested in dropping some quarters (Junkyard had a free credit on it), but ran for the hills after they saw the shape the machines were in.

Junkyard still has broken flipper rubbers & dirt encrusted ramps.

TSPP had wet noodle flippers, a dead Daredevil Bart flipper, and upper playfield flippers had missing rubber. Doh!"

#4 8 years ago

Here are some pictures of the Junkyard and TSPP. I was able to trap a pinball behind the Junkyard flipper via rubber for the "LOL's".

// Error: Image 1496 not found // // Error: Image 1497 not found // // Error: Image 1498 not found // // Error: Image 1499 not found //

#5 8 years ago

lol what kind of idiot operator buys a 4k pinball machine and then lets it sit there broken and missing 60 cent rubber pieces? A bad operator thats who.

#6 8 years ago

Yeah, unfortunately that is common. There is a huge theater in Boise which has a large assortment of video games and one Elvis. That Elvis is probably the worst shape pin I have ever seen on location.

#7 8 years ago

Pretty sad. I've seen worse.

There's a small few ops that really just don't care. They bought some games, the games didn't make money regardless of their condition so they're basically abandoned. If they collect a few quarters on the location owner's electricity dime, fine. But they ain't dropping another cent into them.

However, in the majority of cases when I notify the op they didn't know about it and will fix it eventually. I only know of two ops that actively "patrol" their machines, or even know what to look for. (Some ops aren't players).

#8 8 years ago

I live in ventura ca, and at a local arcade at the harbor they have a broken TAF, a slightly working TZ, a Revenge from Mars that never works right, and a SPP that just keeps getting worse and worse. The playfield is so dirty u can't see the details on every machine. The upper left flipper on TZ has never worked. When you can get TAF to feed you a ball it's a pitted rusty mess then only the left side flippers work. No wonder pinball is not as popular anymore since it's hard to find a decent machine on location.
    I feel like that native american dude who tears up after he sees someone litter.

#9 8 years ago

I wonder if we could author a bill that would deem pinball machines a national treasure, and make it illegal to allow them to sit in a public place in a state of non-functionality or disrepair. I'll bet it would bring about a whole new era of pinball, making repair shops as necessary as smog check places.

#10 8 years ago

I'd talk to the owner and make an offer to buy some of these machines. Fix them up and keep em or sell em.

#11 8 years ago

The owners almost always want to sell it for what they bought it for.
    "$1000? I paid $4000 for it! I tell you what, I'll let it go for $3000."

#12 8 years ago

SC, that conversation sounds a lot like the one I had trying to save a Monster Bash machine I have been playing along with my old buddy for years.

There was a ton of laughter after his ridiculous offer, as you can imagine.

#13 8 years ago

"I wonder if we could author a bill that would deem pinball machines a national treasure, and make it illegal to allow them to sit in a public place in a state of non-functionality or disrepair. I'll bet it would bring about a whole new era of pinball, making repair shops as necessary as smog check places."

lol no that would not work. You're assuming good condition = guaranteed revenue. If it that were so, they would be well-maintained. That was true a long time ago but not anymore.

The reason they're essentially abandoned in some cases is because they simply don't earn, or the ops time is better spent fixing stuff that does.

I reiterate though that in the majority of cases where I've taken the time to track down the op, send him an email, etc. they are usually responsive. No, the game is never going to play like a HUO game (which, these days, too many people use as their measuring stick) but most ops want their games to be playable.

#14 8 years ago

Maybe we should all carry some small "Out of Order" stickers to put over the coins slots of these poor neglected machines ?

#15 8 years ago

Or some flipper rubber, and new balls. Maybe you can do some quick on-the-spot maintenance and get a few free credits if you make it playable again. :-p

#16 8 years ago

Nothing more agonizing then wanting to drop a few quarters to play a pin only to find
    it in such a sorry state - too bad

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 129.25
    Lighting - Led
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    $ 142.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside