(Topic ID: 327149)

Pinball companies discussion

By CosmoConstant

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who is your favorite pinball company that is currently making games?”

• Stern 31 votes
      44%
    • Jersey Jack 5 votes
      7%
    • Spooky 12 votes
      17%
    • American 3 votes
      4%
    • Chicago 14 votes
      20%
    • Pinball Brothers 1 vote
      1%
    • Multimorphic 4 votes
      6%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6F611A0B-5F29-40CC-852E-CC5AD4628182 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_322.png
    #1 1 year ago

I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best current pinball company (by sales and quality of each machine built), and what is the worst company.

I had an Elvira HOH P pinball machine and I thought that it was great (Stern). I’m going to be getting my very first Jersey Jack machine this coming up Sunday.

I got to try out all of the different company’s pinball machines at the 2022 Pinball Expo. I like Stern and Jersey Jack machines the best, and I thought that Chicago Pinball is o.k. I liked Cactus Canyon remake.

#2 1 year ago

Oh Boy.

Before this goes down in flames I will say Stern is the best for Designs, Price, & Play.

I guess there's other things to other people that matter more. Takes all kinds.

#3 1 year ago

Whoever makes JAWS first will be the best.

#4 1 year ago

JJP is a real PIA to get parts or service from.

I own games from. Multimorphic, Spooky, Stern.

And so far. Multimorphic is the best when it comes to responding and helping fix issues.

Spooky has been good with communication.

Stern takes a bit if you need parts from them.

JJP, leaves you stranded most of the time, and have no place to order them yourself.

#6 1 year ago

Stern's & JJP customer support and sending out replacement parts sucks, just go read through this thread about Stern:

Parts trouble? !?! (Operator can't get parts/support from distributor or stern)

#7 1 year ago

Loyalty of customers:
    1. Multimorphic
    2. Spooky
    3. Stern
    4. JJP
    5. American Pinball

Appeal to the masses:
    1. Stern
    2. JJP
    3. CGC
    4. Spooky
    5. American Pinball
    6. Multimorphic

Most pissed off customer base still making pins:
    1. Dutch Pinball
    2. Homepin
    3. Pinball Brothers
    4. JJP
    5. Stern
    6. American Pinball
    7. Spooky
    8. CGC
    9. Multimorphic

Most likely to be producing pinball machines in 10 years.
    1. Stern
    2. Spooky
    3. CGC
    4. JJP

If you told me they were making a new pin regardless of theme the most likely to be the most fun overall package would be:
    1.Stern
    2.CGC
    3.Multimorphic
    4.JJP
    5.American Pinball

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Stern's customer support and sending out replacement parts sucks...

Yeah ever since we lost Chaz it's been a quick downfall. I was able to order a new part & shipped in 2 weeks I think; but honestly I'd rather not have to deal with Costumer Service anywhere. If the stupid ass node board could have easily swapped a simple opto it would have been fixed in 30 minutes!

#9 1 year ago

As long as George Gomez is there, and current designers and software personnel, Stern. CGC remakes are top notch though, but they are not being re-designed, so its more of a manufacturing pick than anything else at this point.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Loyalty of customers:
    1. Multimorphic
    2. Spooky
    3. Stern
    4. JJP
    5. American Pinball
    Appeal to the masses:
    1. Stern
    2. JJP
    3. CGC
    4. Spooky
    5. American Pinball
    6. Multimorphic
    Most pissed off customer base still making pins:
    1. Dutch Pinball
    2. Homepin
    3. Pinball Brothers
    4. JJP
    5. Stern
    6. American Pinball
    7. Spooky
    8. CGC
    9. Multimorphic
    Most likely to be producing pinball machines in 10 years.
    1. Stern
    2. Spooky
    3. CGC
    4. JJP
    If you told me they were making a new pin regardless of theme the most likely to be the most fun overall package would be:
    1.Stern
    2.CGC
    3.Multimorphic
    4.JJP
    5.American Pinball

Best website built in Microsoft Frontpage 97
    1. CGC

Screenshot_322.pngScreenshot_322.png

#11 1 year ago

So within the last couple of years, who’s machines break the most and have the most problems?

#12 1 year ago

Just buy the games you like, there's no such thing as a pinball that doesn't need things adjusted or fixed. You're in the wrong hobby if you're uncomfortable with that.

#13 1 year ago

They're all good for some reasons, and they all suck for others. Just the way it is.

#14 1 year ago

It can be hard to judge when games are shipped so unfinished. Customers get turned into testers, and sure they may get fleshed out and finished over time, but there's no real guarantee of that. It's been an increasingly frustrating problem in video games. Games just don't shipped finished anymore, and that's bad for consumers.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ribs:

...Games just don't shipped finished anymore,...

or ever

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from CosmoConstant:

So within the last couple of years, who’s machines break the most and have the most problems?

Hands down JJP

#17 1 year ago

That’s kinda what I’ve been hearing. I restore older pinball machines, but this Jersey Jack machine will be my second brand new machine ever. It’s a Toy Story 4 CE (new in box). I like restoring old machines, but I shouldn’t have to restore a brand spanking new machine. Am I wrong?

#18 1 year ago

Meh. My NIB JJP has been great and the two issues I had were resolved promptly and painlessly by the company. My NIB stern had issues too - some lights were wired wrong and the thing didn’t even shoot straight. Stop perseverating. If you want a machine get one. No company is fool proof. They all have problems out of the box. It’s not like buying a toaster. This is how pinball machines are.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

Best website built in Microsoft Frontpage 97
    1. CGC
    [quoted image]

Not like PPS is any better. For reasons I can’t understand, Many companies, manufacturers, dealers, parts and mod suppliers that are related to pinball - are old school when it comes to their websites appearance, intuitiveness and functionality.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

They're all good for some reasons, and they all suck for others. Just the way it is.

That's about what I was going to say. All have their positives and negatives in gameplay, build quality, and tech support. And everyone's experiences are different. Having owned many pins from all those companies (with a PB Alien due soon and a P3 next year) there's a slight difference in how each support team works, but in the end it's all about the same: You'll get tech support immediately if you get lucky, but eventually you'll get it regardless. You'll get parts if they're in stock (which they haven't been lately), and have to wait if not. Etc.

#21 1 year ago

I found this. This is pretty informative. I’m trying to learn everything I can about pinball machines and pinball machine companies.
    https://www.kineticist.co/post/who-makes-pinball-machines

#22 1 year ago

Chicago Gaming.

I am biased.

LTG : )

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Chicago Gaming.
    I am biased.
    LTG : )

That Cactus Canyon game with the cowboy topper rocks! I really enjoyed playing it at the 2022 Chicago Pinball Expo.

#24 1 year ago

CGC - best quality and value. Have to be patient though (9.9 out of 10)
    Stern - good quality, stable and typically fast shipping after release. Love their flipper feel (9.8 out of 10)
    Spooky - awesome themes and integration, but need some tweaking in my experience (8 out of 10)
    American - owned a Houdini once and it was pretty fun, layout was tough, but beautiful machine (7 out of 10)
    JJP - have owned Wonka, Pirates, and Dialed In. Dialed In was the best. Ran into numerous problems, but support was decent (6.5 out of 10)

Haven't played a pinball bros or multi.

#25 1 year ago

Spooky has had issues with boards as well as fit and finish on games including recent TNA 2.0. Service is responsive but busy. They have made some adjustments with Scooby Doo so hopefully it improves.

#26 1 year ago

I found this. This is pretty informative. I’m trying to learn everything I can about pinball machines and pinball machine companies.
    https://www.kineticist.co/post/who-makes-pinball-machines

Thanks for sharing. Shoot us a message if you've got any questions!

#27 1 year ago

Sterns customer service was nonexistent for me on my last purchase nib.

Dragging me along for two years on an approved playfield replacement for Jurassic Park Premium.

Last email…….I got nothing

6F611A0B-5F29-40CC-852E-CC5AD4628182 (resized).jpeg6F611A0B-5F29-40CC-852E-CC5AD4628182 (resized).jpeg
    #28 1 year ago

STERN, until someone else pumps out 3-4 games per year with solid code and great designs they are still king.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Sterns customer service was nonexistent for me on my last purchase nib.
    Dragging me along for two years on an approved playfield replacement for Jurassic Park Premium.
    Last email…….I got nothing [quoted image]

It took them 2 years to replace my MET playfield, but they finally came through.

#30 1 year ago

It is not that I dislike Stern games, some are great. It is hard to describe but they all feel "flimsy" compared with other manufacturers. CGC and JJP just feel more "solid". American too. Sorta like the feel when I drive my F150 (good truck) versus driving my wife's Tundra (great truck). Right now, with an AFMr and CCr in my collection, it is hard to beat CGC on any level.

#31 1 year ago

CGC came to the market with the most solid build quality and combined with their more decent price level compared to Stern makes them my favorite. Stern as king of the business of course tops them all in development power and speed.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody76:

It took them 2 years to replace my MET playfield, but they finally came through.

Ok thanks.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Triplecdad:

It is not that I dislike Stern games, some are great. It is hard to describe but they all feel "flimsy" compared with other manufacturers. CGC and JJP just feel more "solid". American too. Sorta like the feel when I drive my F150 (good truck) versus driving my wife's Tundra (great truck). Right now, with an AFMr and CCr in my collection, it is hard to beat CGC on any level.

Our Stern Mando LE is built like a tank. I've torn the playfield down to the sticks for installing a playfield protector and re-populated it. It's an impressive build. Glad to have one to play at the ready, no issues yet after 1.5 years.

Definitely agree regarding CGC, I just think Stern is right there as well, at least in the case I am mentioning.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from kineticist:

Thanks for sharing. Shoot us a message if you've got any questions!

Thank you very much for your hard work.

4 weeks later
    #35 1 year ago

I really like my Toy Story 4 CE machine. I have not had any issues so far. I really got to say that Jersey Jack machines feel more solid and well built than other company’s machines. This is the best pinball machine that I have ever owned.

5 months later
    #36 9 months ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Our Stern Mando LE is built like a tank. I've torn the playfield down to the sticks for installing a playfield protector and re-populated it. It's an impressive build. Glad to have one to play at the ready, no issues yet after 1.5 years.
    Definitely agree regarding CGC, I just think Stern is right there as well, at least in the case I am mentioning.

I have always found Stern to be the opposite.

Crap PSUs
    Crap coil stops after a decade+
    Cheap metal in mech parts
    Crap audio knocker
    Crap pf wood sometimes
    Crap brackets sometimes
    Crap Chinese pot metal tilt bobs
    No more stainless for pros
    No more easily repairable boards

They make the BEST games, but quality has never been their strong point.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-companies-discussion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.