Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by gtown
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

How is the buying and selling community near Austin? My wife and I are relocating in the beginning of July to the north of Austin and I want to know who's around there. I want to sell most of my collection up here, but do I risk not being able to find anything locally down there? Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

There's a big community there, and a ton of competitve players. Good luck getting deals... I haven't been able to steal anything off their Craigslist....yet. On the flipside, if money is no object, you could always just buy used games from Pinballz and fix them up.

*Edit* Oh, right, and add to the fact that I'm sure that Pinballz is actively trolling their CL for those deals too.....to flip them to you. Darren comes up to Dallas regularly for the auctions. =P

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

How is the buying and selling community near Austin? My wife and I are relocating in the beginning of July to the north of Austin and I want to know who's around there. I want to sell most of my collection up here, but do I risk not being able to find anything locally down there? Thoughts?

From Jersey to Austin, man are you lucky! Are you going to be in Round Rock area or Cedar Park?

Pinballz is awesome, just not to buy pins from.

#4 9 years ago

We are not the pinall community you are looking for......

Seriously tho, look at Facebook Bat City Pinball club. There are a ton of us around from Round Rock down to Buda

Hopefully some more will chime in.

--Jeff

#5 9 years ago

So maybe I should just bring my collection with me, or at least some of it. I'm looking to buy in the round rock area. We are going to first move into an apartment for a few months while we look for a house. Hope to meet some of y'all (I'm practicing) at some point. Only have a few friends that live in round rock, no family down there. It's gonna be a change for sure.

#6 9 years ago

I too am an east coast (DE) to Austin transplant. Definitely check out the Bat City Pinball club. They get together every few weeks for tournaments and such.

Multimorphic, Inc. is also based in Austin. We'll have to get you out to our next open house to check out and play the P3!

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#7 9 years ago

Round rock is really nice. I liked the area a lot when I lived down there for about 6 months as a teenager.

#8 9 years ago

Yeah - bring your best machines... and maybe your worst.

Pinballz has pretty much dried up the Craigslist market here locally. I'm pretty sure they are behind the lack of pins in the area issues.

Your best bet is to get with the FB group (BatCity Pinball) and work "deals" thru networking.

#9 9 years ago

Welcome to the, soon to be, area. I live in Round Rock and you are more than welcome to come on over an play anytime. Just hit me up when you get here.

As far a buying pins here, I would avoid that if possible. Not much around here and what is around here people want more money for them. All deals are picked up by Pinballz as others have said. Best part about where we live is you don't have to have a huge collection due to Pinballz.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Yeah - bring your best machines... and maybe your worst.
    Pinballz has pretty much dried up the Craigslist market here locally. I'm pretty sure they are behind the lack of pins in the area issues.
    Your best bet is to get with the FB group (BatCity Pinball) and work "deals" thru networking.

As far as I know (talking to people selling pins on CL), pinballz pretty much only severly lowballs people. The guy I bought my DM from said pinballz offered him $800 for it, and wouldn't come up at all, and it was in pretty solid shape. So while I do think they look at things on the market, I doubt they really buy in much volume.

#11 9 years ago

Johnny - not surprised.
    It's all these horders here in TX I guess.

#12 9 years ago

There are some deals here, but I must say I've gotten all the DMDs I've had out of DFW. Also recommend the Facebook page.

Welcome!

#13 9 years ago

I like seeing so many pinheads in Austin. With it being a tech hub, there's a chance I could end up there some day. Our company already has an office there.

5 months later
    #14 9 years ago

Austin is dry, dry, dry for pinball. I envy people in other parts of the country that have dozens of machines within 100 miles at any time. If one thing pops up on CL here, hundreds of people pounce. As others have said, Pinballz is probably taking most of the games from casual sellers. They are opening a second one and are likely in major hoarding mode.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNES:

Austin is dry, dry, dry for pinball. I envy people in other parts of the country that have dozens of machines within 100 miles at any time. If one thing pops up on CL here, hundreds of people pounce. As others have said, Pinballz is probably taking most of the games from casual sellers. They are opening a second one and are likely in major hoarding mode.

I've gone though 29 games in the past 16 months. More than half were from 512 and most of the ones I sold were local. I think we're ok - especially if you are willing to drive to Houston/Dallas/San Antonio.

I think pinballz did their hoarding a couple years ago- he also bought a bunch at TPF.

I've got a $3k players ironman on the local CL if you are after something.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNES:

As others have said, BTW75 is probably taking most of the games from casual sellers.

Fixed it for you

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from gtown:

Fixed it for you

!!

Well, probably not any more - I have what some might call an addictive streak, but I've backed off - in fact I've been selling more than I've bought in the past couple months.

Before I get accused - no flipping here. I'm pretty sure every pin I've sold has been at what an accountant would call a "loss". Good thing I'm not one of those! I've just enjoyed determining what I like by buying, sometime repairing, playing a bunch of games then moving on to the next one.

#18 9 years ago

I don't think Pinballz is EVER done buying/hording. I've seen them buy stuff at every TPF for the past several years.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

Before I get accused - no flipping here.

Agreed. I see no flipping tendencies from you, just a compulsive addiction I could relate to more if I had more space and time

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-community-near-austin-tx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.