• No, it’s real, and now I’m sad 6 votes
    32%
  • Total bullshit 5 votes
    26%
  • I’m a cat 8 votes
    42%

(19 votes)

#1 3 years ago

While I was reading “PinGreed” thread, I was thinking of something nobody talks about, and I hope my wife never figures out. If you think pinball is expensive now, consider what holding a game for 10+ years really costs you. Google “hypothetical historical return calculator” and take your pick; I used this one:

https://financial-calculators.com/historical-investment-calculator

Now put the cost of your game and the year you bought it, and make sure you set “one time investment” to “YES”. I’ll use my LOTR as an example. $4300 invested in the DOW from 2004 to 2020 would have left me with $13,327. NASDAQ: $25,475. So, there’s the “real cost”: the hefty profit I missed out on by sitting on my LOTR for 16 years.

I’m not an investor, and I’ve pissed away more than $4300 in 16 years in beer alone, so this isn’t a lecture. I have no ragrets, I know I deferred my retirement a few years buying pins. This is just a counterpoint to the “greed” commentary. If I was really greedy, I’d never have started with pinball.

#2 3 years ago

Pinball is not practical. In fact, I can’t think of a practical hobby other than investing!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Pinball is not practical. In fact, I can’t think of a practical hobby other than investing!

Profile pic checks out with vote, lol!

#4 3 years ago

This is a slippery slope which leads to living in a tent in your friend's backyard for free.

#5 3 years ago

Yeah, it's a hobby and the math never works out financially. Even if you take a $1.2k loss on a NiB in a year, you paid $100 per month. That's a lot of location play.

Especially now that the government is pumping the market most things won't beat the returns. Until the market isn't pumped, the only real play is starting a high margin business like software or pharma.

#6 3 years ago

You can’t put a price on fun

#7 3 years ago

I had a work friend who came over once and said “my dad taught me that this is something you let someone else do, and go over and enjoy their games instead of buying them.” He didn’t get invited back, I want fellow insane collectors who will validate my life choices.

#8 3 years ago

You know what I'd do with all that money?

Buy pinball machines.

#9 3 years ago

What’s the point of making money if you don’t enjoy it?

#10 3 years ago

I put about 4K away into the stock market every month for 25 years now. Pinball is just a hobby

#11 3 years ago

As a Bally solid state guy, I've owned over 50 of them. I never lost a dime on one. Many bought years ago when prices were cheap. And if I factor my labor into bringing a dead game to life, I might of made $5 an hour for labor. But more working pins means more people in the hobby, and that's good for the hobby.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

As a Bally solid state guy, I've owned over 50 of them. I never lost a dime on one. Many bought years ago when prices were cheap. And if I factor my labor into bringing a dead game to life, I might of made $5 an hour for labor. But more working pins means more people in the hobby, and that's good for the hobby.

Yeah, I’ve sunk many weeks of my life into playfield swaps and restorations. I feel good about it, since I’ve enjoyed the journey.

#13 3 years ago

Yea it’s true. Of course spending money always had an opportunity cost. I once calculated that my machines have appreciated 3-4% apy over the years (maybe more with recent prices) so there is at least some return unlike most hobbies which are like throwing money into a hole.

#14 3 years ago

"I spent half my money on pinball, alcohol, and wild women. The other half I wasted.”

W.C. Fields - almost

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-collecting-and-opportunity-cost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.