IMG_2860 (resized).JPG
IMG_2859 (resized).JPG
IMG_2858 (resized).JPG
IMG_3153 (resized).JPG
IMG_3151 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #931 Announcement of returning to the project Posted by Compy (6 years ago)

Post #935 Follow-up comments for the announcement Posted by pkiefert (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,085 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.
#1 9 years ago

from Coast 2 Coast Pinball's Facebook page.."Now official... Pinball Circus to be "remade". Group worked with Python in his last months and has a plan for test games and a production run to follow. Will be adding features back to game that Python wanted but were taken out after he left Williams."

#3 9 years ago

Very nice!

I hope this actually comes through.

#4 9 years ago

Interesting

Machine will cost a fortune though

#5 9 years ago

It is interesting. I can't imagine the bill of materials on it. It certainly would be a lot of eye candy and the ultimate conversation piece. I think it would be great for guests and kids, but unless some changes are made, I don't think it would be something I would own long term.

#6 9 years ago

25k by Christmas. It might be 25k to start off.

#7 9 years ago

That is exciting. I wonder if it's the original group over a year ago that started it ?

Less Python, sadly.

LTG : )™

#8 9 years ago

I saw the announcement at SFGE, it looks like it's going to be amazing. They seem to really want to do it justice, and based on the few parts they brought, it looks like they will. I'm excited to see how they go forward with the project. I enjoyed the machine when I played it at the Hall of Fame, I'm interested to see what will change as they add in what Python really wanted.

#9 9 years ago

Great news , I don't think I'd call it a remake. I'd love to own one.

#10 9 years ago

Am I missing something? This is the game that's at Pinball Hall of Fame, right? It was certainly a cool novelty, but I put it more in the vein of a rube goldburg machine (think of the board game mousetrap). It was fun trying to get the ball to the top, but it is so linear (unless there was other stuff to do I didn't know about) and frankly got old pretty quick once the gimmick wore off. I can't see this being remade in any quantity at all. I wouldn't put one in my gameroom for free since it would take up space for other games that are more "real" pinball.

#11 9 years ago

Don't care about the $$. If its going to be what was originally invisioned it is worth every penny. But with modern technology it should actually be cheaper to produce now than when it was originally made.

CNC, waterjet machines. 3D printers now.

If not, im still in. Played a prototype that travelled around on route here in Canada. I think more were originally produced than people say or think. Williams routed them to see how they would earn and I remember playing it.

Exact location was the Arcade at Limeridge mall in Hamilton Ontario.

Wonder if any actual info/records was kept about where there were, and what they earned there.

#12 9 years ago

Oh great................ Pinball Circus VE

Now all the original Pinball Circus' just plunged in value.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Wonder if any actual info was kept about where there were, and what they earned there.

The one in Chicago was on test longer than any other Williams pin. Since it didn't go into production, I think we know the earnings. ( twice as big as a video game, and four times as expensive as pins back then ).

#14 9 years ago

Immediate reaction...there is a long road ahead for Circus Maximus.

NEWS: Python Anghelo’s Pinball Circus to be produced!
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/06/22/news-python-anghelos-pinball-circus-to-be-produced/

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Williams routed them to see how they would earn and I remember playing it.

I cannot imagine owning one of these no matter how cheap. Talk about the ultimate one-trick pony. That said, I don't know if I could imagine a pin that seems like it would earn better on route for the casual player. It is so trippy that it commands a new person throw a couple coins in to see what happens. Plus, it is not easy to get the ball to the top, so you'd at least get a few repeat plays before the novelty wore off.

Quoted from LTG:

Since it didn't go into production, I think we know the earnings. ( twice as big as a video game, and four times as expensive as pins back then ).

Good point about the footprint, and the dollar per square inch factor. That said, it seems like the ultimate novelty. Certainly is space and upfront cost prohibitive though.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

That said, it seems like the ultimate novelty.

All pinball machines are the ultimate novelty! Really, Do you need them in your house... no.

Do you want them in your house... yes.

If you have the room and $$$ will you put as many as possible?....you bet!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Am I missing something? This is the game that's at Pinball Hall of Fame, right? It was certainly a cool novelty, but I put it more in the vein of a rube goldburg machine (think of the board game mousetrap). It was fun trying to get the ball to the top, but it is so linear (unless there was other stuff to do I didn't know about) and frankly got old pretty quick once the gimmick wore off. I can't see this being remade in any quantity at all. I wouldn't put one in my gameroom for free since it would take up space for other games that are more "real" pinball.

I'm a big Python fan, but I do think there are other reasons why the game wasn't made. It just didn't deliver the playability necessary to justify the production cost.

If anybody else did a 3D pinball machine like that, most people would say, "That's not pinball." But since it's a Python design, it gets a lot more love. IMO, in the end, it's going to cost a pile of money and be a one-trick pony. However, I'd sure like to have one in my collection - it would make a great trophy in any nice-sized collection, but out of my range.

I'd be more excited about Zingy-Blingy being made.. that looked like a very interesting design.

#18 9 years ago

Maybe I will get a chance to play it after all

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I'd be more excited about Zingy-Blingy being made.. that looked like a very interesting design.

A lot tougher. Missing the backbox and two dolls. I've never seen drawings or pictures of that part of it.

#20 9 years ago

Wow. I hope Bstyles buys one for the Zoo.

#21 9 years ago

Python once mentioned a feature he wanted made. A vertical pole that the ball would hit, then climb up. Involving some moving current to make a magnet. This would be a cool effect.

#22 9 years ago

WOW! How cool someone is going to do this, amazing.

#23 9 years ago

They are giong to have to keep the cost down for them to sell any. If its set at $8000 you would be hard pressed to find many buyer's at that price for a novelty game. I would hope they could get it down to around 4-5 grand.

#24 9 years ago

I don't know. Who would buy one? And why? I think most everyone agrees Pinball Circus is a fun game... for a couple a games (a great beer drinking game at parties?) It's a neat novelty and I play it every time I visit Vegas, but owning one myself? I don't think so (and I'd bet most collectors feel the same). It would be neat for arcades, pinball museums, and as a special feature at the pinball shows (that would be the only reason I'd own own... to have it at TPF and the Houston Arcade Expo), but beyond that, only the eclectic collectors will want one.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

They are giong to have to keep the cost down for them to sell any. If its set at $8000 you would be hard pressed to find many buyer's at that price for a novelty game.

Williams was figuring around $12K back then, so I don't think you'll see $8K or less.

Disclaimer : I hope I'm wrong.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

It would be neat for arcades, pinball museums, and as a special feature at the pinball shows

That is why I'd like one. Attraction piece for the arcade, and if I drive to a show, bring it with.

#27 9 years ago

So glad this news is finally out. I've seen some of the features that were taken out but will be in this new game and its going to be great. The development of this game is in good hands

-Jim

#28 9 years ago

I hope they have a decent run for them, I would definitely be interested in one for the gameroom.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from FullBlown:

Wow. I hope Bstyles buys one for the Zoo.

Hope so, Plenty of room there

#30 9 years ago

All pins are novelty. Cost will likely be high but seeing this in its full version as envisioned by Python is exciting.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Williams was figuring around $12K back then, so I don't think you'll see $8K or less.

12k? Woah! I read 8k in a few spots, never heard 12k pushed around yet. Insane price. Comparatively thats like 32k for a new pin now

#32 9 years ago

Aimed strictly (and possibly only) at die hard collectors. I don't expect a large run on this.

Purely novel and nostalgic. More of a conversation piece or a nice interlude between a real pinball game.

The average collector has limited space and wants more bang for their buck, for *long term* enjoyment.

#33 9 years ago

And PPS is not involved with this ?

viperrwk

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I hope your wrong to.

#35 9 years ago

I think price point is going to be tricky on this one. It's not fun. People buying it are doing so because it looks really cool and is very unique. There will be a few who pay any price point but I highly doubt there would be anywhere near 1k users at a high price point.

#36 9 years ago

I would think they are looking for way less than 1000 units... I asked directly and they told me they didn't know, and it wasn't the goal... The goal was to honor Python and get this game out to those who do want to own/play it. This is more than just a business deal to them. I would think 100 games built would make them very happy. (conjecture)

#37 9 years ago

Also... on the topic of price. The direct quote from the Circus Maximus guys was "Python wanted it to be inexpensive". Take that for what it's worth.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

The goal was to honor Python and get this game out to those who do want to own/play it. This is more than just a business deal to them.

I am pleased to hear that. And hope they are successful.

#39 9 years ago

Awesome! That game is a masterpiece. Other than the clown, clowns freak me out.

#40 9 years ago

Also looking forward to news/website/plans for production and release.

2014 keeps getting better and better.

#42 9 years ago

The history behind this game's story and now the building of this game for Python after he has passed would be the perfect focus of a film documentary that is ultimatley about Python's life.

If anyone out there is a filmmaker, you should jump on this one.

#43 9 years ago

Whatever you think about gameplay, this game is perhaps one of the best examples of a machine which creates "a whole world under the glass", Python was the master of that.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

The direct quote from the Circus Maximus guys was "Python wanted it to be inexpensive".

Hopefully, they don't skimp on the quality because of that.

#45 9 years ago

The rule card had something about being able to win 10 free games what was planed for this game?

The game also has a jackpot that builds game to game player to player.

#46 9 years ago

This is awesome news !

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

The rule card had something about being able to win 10 free games what was planed for this game?

Possibly a redemption game like BBB was going to be.

#48 9 years ago

I've never played one so I can't comment about game play (have only seen some crappy YouTube videos), but everyone makes the game play sound as if it plays like Hercules or something... It can't possibly be that bad, is it??

If they did 100 or less of them like Nate was conjecturing, I think that would be just the right amount. Enough games to honor and see out Python's vision, but still rare enough to be exciting when you see one, especially if you know the story and history of the game's designer.

As far as footprint... Yes, I'm sure it's a beast to move from an operator's stand point back in the day. But once it's where it's going to go (in a collector's walk-out basement, garage, etc.), it's not deeper than a pinball machine and doesn't look any wider than my Space Invaders cabinet and back box.

It'll be way out of MY personal price range, but I wish the project well and hope they are successful!

-Steve Ridge

#50 9 years ago

I'd be amazed if 100 of these are sold, but I can't wait to be able to play it w/o a trip to Vegas

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
There are 1,085 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-circus-to-be-remade?hl=gotfrogs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.