Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by billycrna
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Beer.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    gritgitter_001.jpg
    gritgitter_006.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Hey all,

Not sure how this popped into my head, but I was curious as to what people have for pinball specific tools? In other words, things that are either only for pinball, or that you purchased more or less just for pinball? I have:

- two tumblers; one blew the motor, so I ended up with a second, and will eventually replace the motor on the first
    - two DMMs
    - various sockets, Allen keys, etcetera
    - fuse and chip pullers
    - crimper for doing Trifurcon connectors
    - ultrasonic machine
    - motorcycle jack to be converted town all dolly
    - soldering iron
    - soldering station
    - likely going to grab a bench grinder for polishing parts sooner or later
    - there is a random orbital polisher that should be delivered tomorrow, along with polishing wheels and compounds (according to the tracking info, it's in the city, so I'm guessing it'll come tomorrow); that'll be for doing playfields

Anyone else have enough tied up in machinery to buy another game? This is also me fishing for other tools I might "need"...

Luke

#2 11 years ago

Every tool I have ever bought has been for pinball. With the exception of metric sockets for video games from Tokyo.

If you need a tool, there is no substitute. Trying to get by or make something work only makes the job harder and more costly.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Do you have the long nut drivers?

#4 11 years ago

Hey,

I actually don't. The guy who left his 1/4 and 5/16 drivers in my TZ wasn't kind enough to give me the others, but definitely something I'll keep in mind.

Luke

#5 11 years ago

Klein magnetic nut drivers are the only way to drive your nuts. (Comments invited.)

#6 11 years ago

Custom grit gitter, every pinhead that sees this grabs it and I have to make another one.

gritgitter_006.jpggritgitter_006.jpg gritgitter_001.jpggritgitter_001.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Leaf adjustment tool
    Magnetic nut drivers
    Electronic Level
    Forceps
    Molex Pin Crimper
    Logic probe.
    Bulb extractor
    Bulb socket cleaning stick
    Bunch of circuit board tools like chip pullers and scrapers and stuff.
    Torx Security bits and those square ones.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Custom grit gitter

I give up. What's it made from, and what does it do?

#9 11 years ago

Gonna take a guess..

Looks to be a flexible steel core with a hook at the end.
    Soft rubber hose allows to be compressed and expose the hook which grabs an object.
    The rubber cup at the end of the hose helps to "git" the "grit".
    Wood handle is just for flair.

That all said, I'm wondering the advantage over a regular old pick-up tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200382240_200382240?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Garage%20%2B%20Workshop%20Supplies-_-Magnets-_-254933&ci_sku=254933&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CIbBx7z357QCFeZDMgodxWkAcA

faz

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I give up. What's it made from, and what does it do?

It is made from a hardened steel BBQ skewer and a surgical rubber hose with a molded end.
    You put a small rag on the hook and the rubber end covers it.
    Novus 2 on the rag and you can push it up to get to the ball tracks in orbits under ramps etc.

Unlike the grabber pictured it is shielded so you don't scratch anything and you can put pressure downward to remove ball tracks and the magic dust.
    Makes it easy to keep the games clean between shop jobs to get into tight areas without removing ramps.

#11 11 years ago

Nice! The coin on the end of your device in the photo led me astray.

#12 11 years ago

telescoping rod with magnet on the end. magnetic bowl for holding screws, multi led light with magnet and hanging hook for working under playfield, all avilable at harbor frieght.

#13 11 years ago

Picked up this nifty gadget today for $4 at harbor freight. Works like a charm!

Note to self: new flipper rubbers for SBM...

IMG_0423.JPGIMG_0423.JPG

#14 11 years ago

Come on man, that flipper rubber is disgraceful.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Come on man, that flipper rubber is disgraceful.

The one on the right is riding too high on the end, too.

LTG : )

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Custom grit gitter, every pinhead that sees this grabs it and I have to make another one.

This looks like a contraption made from parts off my anesthesia cart! LOL

#17 11 years ago

Also,if you were selling them...I would buy one!

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from billycrna:

It is a hose off of a Gompco suction machine, I made a solder sucker out of it for board work.
    I have more hose but I swiped the skewers from the wife and I am out of them or I would send you one.

#19 11 years ago

Nut drivers: magnetic, hollow shaft, long and short shaft variants in 1/4, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8. #1 most important thing to have. Use them all the time.

Long shaft sockets. Less dicking around with open end wrenches ... except:

1/4" thin open end wrench. When you go to remove nuts securing plastics and the post below starts coming out of the pf you'll be happy you have this.

Leaf adjustment tool. Keep your fingers and pliers away and do it right.

Penny tech: save any soft foam packing material. Cut up and use to apply polish/Novus2

Good glass cleaner (Stoner Invisible Glass) and a case of paper towels. Nothing worse than a fine pin collection that looks like someone rubbed down with a baloney sandwich.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

It is a hose off of a Gompco suction machine, I made a solder sucker out of it for board work.
    I have more hose but I swiped the skewers from the wife and I am out of them or I would send you one.

Thank you for the thought! It's ingenious!!! Would work perfectly on my Tron. As of yet, I have been unable to clean under the back ramps. I'm too lazy to take them off....so far.

#21 11 years ago

home depot paint mixing stick and micro fiber cloth.

#22 11 years ago

Amazon sells a box of microfiber towels for less than a buck a piece. Feel that's a must for safe cleaning. Not a huge fan of washing and re-using those towels so I usually use one or two and then throw them out or relegate them to garage duty.

http://www.amazon.com/Zwipes-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-36-Pack/dp/B000XECJES/ref=sr_1_2

#23 11 years ago

Wal-mart has a pretty good price on them but I spend a little more and get them in bags of 20 at O'Reillys auto parts. I like them because they come with several colors in the bag. The Walmart ones are all the same colors.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from billycrna:

Wow, most people just have a beer fridge or at best maybe a bar in their game rooms! You have an anesthesia cart? I want one!!!

#25 11 years ago

Beer.JPGBeer.JPG

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from BadBrick:

Wow, most people just have a beer fridge or at best maybe a bar in their game rooms! You have an anesthesia cart? I want one!!!

LOL!! Those would be interesting parties at my house if that were the case! I meant at work

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-centric-tools and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.