5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D0A1556A-A646-42CA-9A02-A9D8E6DA8CF6 (resized).jpeg
    A174FA51-4CF6-427F-9551-8D3069CE7A0F (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I was sitting here eating my muffin this morning when I had what Alcoholics like to call a moment of clarity...

I finally figured out what is missing from Pinball Collecting, and it occured to me there is one major reason Cars continue to be a “thing” to collect and display and admire. The are inherently mobile... a pinball machine, not so much.

Then I figured that the reason cars tend to get so much love is they get seen way more than anything else you could collect. You actually go out in public while sitting in your nice, fine, restored, mint, 100 point car. People see you in it, you are considered a “great” person- look at his/her shiny and beautifully restored 57 Chevy...

So I guess the next big thing in Pinball will be nice tricked out “Travel Cases” for pinball machines, along with custom trailers and lifts and dollys to move your testosterone soaked joy toy from the trailer to the show floor.

So when are we going to see people bringing their machines to shows, putting up velvet ropes around their mint all original Big Bang Bars and TBL’s and actually charge people to play them, while sitting next to them in their folding lawn chairs drinking Mai Tais and displaying all the awards their machine has won at the last 13 concours d’elagance?

Sometimes I think we go way overboard on something and Pinball machine collecting seems to be going the same way... I was just stoked when I got my first one that I didnt need to feed it quarters anymore.

#2 5 years ago

I had a moment of clarity that you’re avatar looks a bit like the famous actor Raul Julia A174FA51-4CF6-427F-9551-8D3069CE7A0F (resized).jpegA174FA51-4CF6-427F-9551-8D3069CE7A0F (resized).jpeg
    Who was in one of the best car movies of all time Gumball Rally. Coincidence? I don’t think so.
    D0A1556A-A646-42CA-9A02-A9D8E6DA8CF6 (resized).jpegD0A1556A-A646-42CA-9A02-A9D8E6DA8CF6 (resized).jpeg

#3 5 years ago

Shows are only getting bigger and more popular. I don't think mobility is a big factor, otherwise they would be shrinking.

This past year, one northeast show was actually turning away free play games since the room was maxed out.

If an owner rents a vendor space, they can do whatever they want--even the whole velvet ropes thing with charging to play their games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-cars-and-collecting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.