New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 198152)

Pinball Cabinets.. Should the design change?

By ASOA

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by deluge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

What are people's feelings about redesigning the overall look of a Pinball machine? Some like standard some like wide body. But what about the visual change of cabinet styles. Take Aliens for example do you like these cabinets better or worse? Houdini has a redesigned back box. Dialed in is slightly different then JJP"s first two games. What do you say. Change is good and if so how far should they take it? If no then what style is your favorite and why?

#2 3 years ago

I like the 90's Bally cabinet as well as Stern's cabinet with the tilted metal dmd / speaker panel.
    I haven't seen a new lcd stern yet.... will hold judgement there but looks good from pictures.

I do not like Heighway's cabinet and backbox. The cabinet is double thickness for the insert art panels, backbox just looks wrong and way too undersized and the though the idea of the cabinet glass trim is a cool idea - it looks terrible.

And not a fan of wide bodies in general but if a cool well designed theme that I really liked came along I would consider it.

#3 3 years ago

That would be a definite NO for me.

Just look at the Pinball 2000 cabs. They look ridiculous in a lineup of games. A game room always looks the best with similar pins side by side. Even the Houdini pinball backbox looks like it might be a bit out of place....Or maybe that is just my OCD speaking!

#4 3 years ago

I like the cabinet design's of the WMS 90's and not a fan of Heighway's design at all. The Houdini backbox doesn't do much for me either but each to their own etc.

At least it saved me some money (and pain) buying an Alien

#5 3 years ago

changing the cabinet design is a risky and most of the time, Stupid move. Look at mr.game cabinets. Or the skewed bally cabinets (ie, escape from lost world, BW100). Holy crap are those cabinets a PIA to move or do anything with.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

changing the cabinet design is a risky and most of the time, Stupid move. Look at mr.game cabinets. Or the skewed bally cabinets (ie, escape from lost world, BW100). Holy crap are those cabinets a PIA to move or do anything with.

The worst

#7 3 years ago

No!

#8 3 years ago

From the industry that brought us Centaur II and EDB Special.

With that said...I wouldn't mind better quality construction. I mean, come on, wood is not the cost giant in a 6k+ machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 499.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 52.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 1.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    $ 25.00
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside