Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4100 (resized).JPG
first_flowchart (resized).png

#1 7 years ago

I sold a woman a Spy Hunter through Craigs List about 4 months ago. We agreed on a price of $950.

She was a newbie- at last to pin ownership, so I held her hand and visited her house a few times showing her how to put games on (other than feeding coins through the slot) um, twice before I created this diagram and emailed it to her. Didn't have a problem after that. Except about 2 weeks after I sold it to her, the relay that enables the flippers stopped working, so I came, diagnosed, and got one of those for her. She paid me for the part and I think $20 for gas.

Finally she was good. She texts me to tell me how much fun she and her friends are having playing it. Then, maybe 3 weeks, or a month go by, and she texts me she needs to talk to me. So I call her and she again tells me how much fun she's having and everybody, but- Finally that the game needs to go. She has to get rid of it.

After all this I don't know what to say. I don't ever recall anyone being quite this helpful to me when I buy pinballs from them!

Regardless of whether I was too nice to this lady in the beginning, I guess I don't want to screw her, or do I want to come out of the deal feeling like I've been screwed either.

I read this thing the other day taling about Pinball rentals, $150 setup, and $150 a day? Okay.. Maybe that's not a good comparison. Maybe something like a restocking fee? Truth is I really don't even have ROOM for that pin in my collection, nor the money to buy it back. Maybe I sell it for her and collect some sort of fee? 10%?

-Brian

#2 7 years ago

If you don't want it, and she doesn't want it, consign the sale to a third party and keep a % for your trouble.

You have been EXTREMELY kind to this buyer after the original sale.

#3 7 years ago

Simple. If you wanted to buy a Spy Hunter in the exact condition how much would you pay? Then make an offer. If you don't want a Spy Hunter at any price then pass.

Think of it as a completely separate deal than the original where she is selling a game.

#4 7 years ago

If she really wants it gone but doesn't want to deal with selling it, I'd haul it away no charge.

#5 7 years ago

If you are friends I'd sell it for her and keep a percentage. If you're not friends I'd suggest she list it for sale at a fair price on CL and wish her luck.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Simple. If you wanted to buy a Spy Hunter in the exact condition how much would you pay? Then make an offer. If you don't want a Spy Hunter at any price then pass.
Think of it as a completely separate deal than the original where she is selling a game.

Agree. However, I might offer to help her sell it for a 10% commission, like those eBay stores. Make a little coin, keep the lady happy because maybe she has friends down the road she can hook you up with for future pinball sales, and feel good you helped someone out. Sometimes, nice gestures are like karma. Someday it will be paid back.

#7 7 years ago

Why can't she put an ad in Craigslist and sell it?

#8 7 years ago

Does she still have the receipt and is it within your 30 day return policy? No seriously you have been more then accommodating I would kindly suggest for her to sale it.

#9 7 years ago

It's not really clear what she's asking. Does she want you to buy it back? Help her sell?

#10 7 years ago

Your call.
Sounds like she wants your help selling the game.
Dealers and brokers do it all the time, including games they sold to owners nearly 30 years ago.
If you want the bother with the time and trouble, it's your money and effort.
Collectors generally don't, due to overhead and wasted time with negotiations for resale.

#11 7 years ago

Is she hot?

#12 7 years ago

LOL!!!

#13 7 years ago

Tell her list it on CL and be done with it!

#14 7 years ago

I think you went above and beyond to help her and if she cant see that then she wouldnt be someone i would want to associate with, I would tell her to sell it herself and please dont call again.

#15 7 years ago

I agree you have went above and beyond. With that being said....Always a good idea to keep a good rep in your hometown for future sales. I would help her sell it and keep a %. Shouldn't be hard to sell again at $950.

#16 7 years ago

I'm guessing YES. Only because she didn't quite grasp the concept of adding credits when explained to her...twice...until he had to draw her a picture.

#17 7 years ago

Go ahead and help her. You never know she may stumble across a machine you want in the future and think of you and give you a call. The "my uncle has a pinball machine he is giving away" kind of thing.

#18 7 years ago

Really? I would tell her that if she doesnt want it, then she needs to sell it.

You arent responsible for that. You made a sale, end of story. YOu were nice enough to help with issues afterwards. Your job is done...

#19 7 years ago

I would probably give her some brief instructions on how to sell it "take these pictures, list it on craigslist, pinside, xmission" and leave the sales process to her.

#20 7 years ago

Just relist the add you previously had up with the same photos but change the email address to her email. If she's super close to you (and selling to someone who is super close to you) tell her you will break it down and set it up for the new buyer for $75-$100.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I would probably give her some brief instructions on how to sell it "take these pictures, list it on craigslist, pinside, xmission and leave the sales process to her. "

Might need to draw her a picture of how the selling process works as well.

#22 7 years ago

Make sure she understand this method of training before you proceed.
If she cannot, it may be time to let go.

first_flowchart (resized).pngfirst_flowchart (resized).png

#23 7 years ago

Did I share my artwork?

IMG_4100 (resized).JPGIMG_4100 (resized).JPG

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Did I share my artwork?

LOL! That coin...George Zombington?

Seriously. Love the picture.

#25 7 years ago

I agree with @Taxman. Do you want the game back? If yes, make an offer. If no, pass.

#26 7 years ago

I've found when you go above and beyond helpful when selling a pin to a newbie you are then committed for life! I can't tell you how many times I've been called about dumb crap a simple google search would have answered. I think I need a 1-900 number!

#27 7 years ago

Ugh. I hate these types of stories. This is the reason I rarely sell a pin (even a low play HUO Stern) to a non-pinhead.

The first thing out of my mouth is "its not if it will break but when it will break".

#28 7 years ago

Honestly your mistake was calling her back. It's a Craigslist sale Time to cut her loose. Why are you dealing with the hassles of a retail sale without getting retail money?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from myork82:

I've found when you go above and beyond helpful when selling a pin to a newbie you are then committed for life! I can't tell you how many times I've been called about dumb crap a simple google search would have answered. I think I need a 1-900 number!

1-900-DUM-CRAP.

#30 7 years ago

Your a good person. For 950 anyone should be happy without all the extra help you gave.

#31 7 years ago

Well, I guess there has to be a happy medium. I think 3 times for the same thing, that if she had paid attention to the first (or SECOND) time I showed her how to put credits on the game, she wouldn't have had to ask 3 times!

But I guess I have a conscience, I don't like it when I'm a newbie at something and someone takes advantage of me - as happened when I tried to get into the hobby last time. I'd like to be someone who helps people get into the hobby, as I remember how much fun I had when I first got into the hobby -- before I learned the Joys of the System 7 interconnect. Maybe I am not getting enough for the extra attention I'm paying to clients that I spend at their house.

@Pinballlou earlier on asked me if It was outside the 30 day guarantee. HAHA! There was no guarantee, she just called and I said I'd help her. I've had people ask me about that ahead of time, and maybe if they agreed to a fee for such a maintenance plan, theSomeonen I wouldn't feel so bad about it. But I guess like anything, if you guarantee it - uhh, you guarantee it. Maybe something like- If you have something non-board related happen - Flipper stuck, can't get credits on the game, or a switch, or pop bumper not working correctly, I can help you with. I know there is a retail place in the mall that builds this type of thing into their prices so it seems like. I suppose it'd be better to get any questions about what is, or isn't covered before I sell a game to someone, that way there is no question about it, and if I agree to help them later on, I can get that set out up front what the compensation would be, if there is any complimentary visits, delivery, etc. Maybe agreeing to deliver it to her house was my first problem. After I met her dog..

#32 7 years ago

Brian,

I completely sympathize with your situation. Being the nice guy, it's really tough to let a situation go, especially after you've invested so much effort into it. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with your gut instinct. Ask her if she'd be willing for you to sell if for her with you collecting a 10% fee. I'd say that's reasonable, plus you'd make a little side cash. Alternatively, you could just tell her to stick the game up on Craigslist herself. I really don't think you'd have to bear the responsibility of buying it back, or fully conducting a sale for her, and I don't really think she'd expect that from you anyway.

Now alternatively, if this is an attractive woman who has genuine interest in pinball, and you just happen to be an available bachelor, then hey, do what you must!

Either way, do what you think is best for YOU. Just my humble opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Max

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Ugh. I hate these types of stories. This is the reason I rarely sell a pin (even a low play HUO Stern) to a non-pinhead.
The first thing out of my mouth is "its not if it will break but when it will break".

This is professionally called:
"As-Is, no warranties implied, no refunds".
Anything else is trouble unless you are a dealer. Signatures seal the deal even for court, you just need to let the buyer fully go through the game.

Sellers are happily surprised when I state these terms on the private sales invoice along with "cash and carry". It makes life simple for both sides. It also shows you are trying to be respectful.

#34 7 years ago

Perfect! I used to work on peoples computers while I was going to tech school. Biggest mistake ever. Two years later after you touch somebodies computer you get a call "my computer is doing this. What did you do to it?" I swear that happened several times.

1 week later
#35 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

LOL! That coin...George Zombington?
Seriously. Love the picture.

Nope - that's a JPop coin because it obviously didn't work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.95
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 85.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-buy-back and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.