Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by balt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tester (resized).jpg
    043B6E70-1C80-4531-939B-46B02C163E30 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    DDA2098A-D1A7-4851-AD37-2D80D4BB7DC0 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    #1 10 years ago

Just a little bump for a new Pinball Life product. Use it for comparing the qualities of different manufacturers bulbs side by side. Flip between 6v AC and 6v DC to see how the bulbs change with different power sources.

It's actually surprisingly fun to play with when you're comparing different bulbs side by side. Color, brightness, heat, etc. It's also not a bad looking pinball techie looking lamp when you're not using it for testing purposes.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3292

#2 10 years ago

I like the idea, thanks!

#3 10 years ago

does it have a freq adjuster where you can switch it to WPC style and what not to see if a bulb will ghost or not in earlier games?

#4 10 years ago

No frequency changing or anything. Just AC/DC.

#5 10 years ago

that would be a great feature to implement. Nothing sucks worse than putting a bulb in and have it work half of the time because of freq rate changes, or ghosting issues. I have hodgepodge pile of LEDs in a case. Some new, some old, and would be nice to filter through them before I put a game back together.

#6 10 years ago

See the last post by Herg - http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-causes-led-ghosting

Even with a frequency changer, it wouldn't necessarily be a valid ghosting tester.

It does have dramatic effects between AC/DC. Bulbs not designed for AC circuits have noticeable strobing and are dimmer. Some more than others. Some handle it fine. It's nice to have the board to compare them all.

#7 10 years ago

yes, it would be difficult to duplicate the rate of a particular game, since each game seems to have it's own rate of refresh. Just saying if there was a way to add the feature, it could be super awesome.

5 years later
    #8 4 years ago

Will these ever become available again? Any other bulb testers in the market?

1 month later
    #9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Will these ever become available again? Any other bulb testers in the market?

Bump for the same question...

#10 4 years ago

What ever happened to dkpinball?

#11 4 years ago

I actually emailed Pinball Life. They just got back to me and said they have no plans to re-make the boards again.

#12 4 years ago

Is it this? It’s been helpful to me to check bulbs and compare. It should be easy for someone to make?

043B6E70-1C80-4531-939B-46B02C163E30 (resized).jpeg043B6E70-1C80-4531-939B-46B02C163E30 (resized).jpegDDA2098A-D1A7-4851-AD37-2D80D4BB7DC0 (resized).jpegDDA2098A-D1A7-4851-AD37-2D80D4BB7DC0 (resized).jpeg
    #13 4 years ago

Ah... yeah super simple. Looks like a AC power brick into a switch which switches in a fwb rectifier.
    The harder part would be finding those #44 sockets; but they look somewhat standard.

#14 4 years ago

Been looking for a tester for well over a year and especially over the past few weeks. I inherited a great big bag of mixed LEDS that I’ve been wanting to test, as well as separate the warm whites from the cool whites. But I’d rather check them while sitting down at a table/bench so I can get into a “production line” groove rather than messing with sockets on an actual pin.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

Been looking for a tester for well over a year and especially over the past few weeks. I inherited a great big bag of mixed LEDS that I’ve been wanting to test, as well as separate the warm whites from the cool whites. But I’d rather check them while sitting down at a table/bench so I can get into a “production line” groove rather than messing with sockets on an actual pin.

The separating the whites was my reason to get one. It works good for that. I often just pull bulbs out when swapping playfields And theres always a mish mosh of colors/whites. Helps to clean them up all at once.

#16 4 years ago

Thats all it is? Hmmmmmmm

#17 4 years ago

I used a bunch of them....It needed a better switch, and the board could use a housing.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Thats all it is? Hmmmmmmm

Come-on; I'm sure you figured it out from the pictures.
    You probably already have the schematic laid out.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Come-on; I'm sure you figured it out from the pictures.
    You probably already have the schematic laid out.

Oh the only reason I haven’t ordered boards already is available time this week. Plenty on my plate at the moment...... but should be able to have something in-progress in about a week.

Gotta get my 2nd 3D printer finished, and kick a couple orders out the door first...... and this week is back to school.

#20 4 years ago

lol. I was thinking of opensourcing mine if I got off my arse. But you're further along (I haven't even started); so have at it.

10 months later
    #21 3 years ago

Here's a US made bulb & fuse tester that is currently available on ebay.

Video:

ebay: ebay.com link: itm

tester (resized).jpgtester (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-bulb-comparer-tester-at-pinball-life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.