1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16526551697387433296226966287399 (resized).jpg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Ok, renamed this and bumped it so people are aware and don’t do stupid things like ask me how I get up in the morning, which yancy was a real class act dick tread.

Hello Pinside!

It’s not every day one gets the bad news of their own demise, however this past week my Doctors actually held up a mirror and pointed to a interesting birthmark that I had never noticed before… “Best if used by 3/1/2025”.

I have been diagnosed with liver cancer.

My prognosis right now is not very encouraging. The MRI and CT scans have identified 2 tumors in my liver and to keep it topical, one is about the size of a pinball and the largest is just a little smaller than the circus ball in Circus Voltaire.

Size and number of tumors places me at Stage 4 liver cancer. Which is the really bad news, even though we caught it before I exhibited any symptoms. Currently I don’t feel sick and not experiencing any outward signs.

To answer your immediate question, we found this via yearly bloodwork, and then only by the fact my white blood cell and platelet counts came back being low.

I am scheduled for a PET scan to determine metastatic issues, such as did the cancer start elsewhere and end up in liver or did it start in the liver and has it moved outside it yet?

The Surgeon said I am not a candidate for resection (removal of tumor) and not a transplant candidate until we can determine if it is isolated only to the liver, but in his experience (28 years) he was fairly sure we will find it outside the liver. In this case, that would be the “worst” scenario.

Survival rates for liver cancer are not promising, and currently only 32 out of 100 patients live past 3 years, and only 12 people out of 100 are standing at 5 years. The problem with these numbers for me are they are based on finding the cancer in stage 1, and unfortunately we found it at stage 4, so my treatment is already way behind schedule, making my chances even slimmer.

Now, I will acknowledge you sunshine and rainbow types who will point out there ARE survivors at 5 years and that possibly could be my fate, and yes, that is the slim hope I do have to cling on to, but that was not the “mood in the room” when talking with my health care professionals.

Which brings me to the Topic of my post…

Pinball Bucket List.

Do you have one? What is on it? If you were given a more brief engagement on this planet than you had casually and originally expected, which machines would you like to spend you last days playing? Are they machines that traditionally kicked your ass and you would just like a few months “mono a mono” with them? Or would they be machines that make you feel good when you kick there ass like you always could? What machines would you turn to to make your pinball life as complete as possible before you grab your coat and hat from the coat check girl and head for the exit?

Currently, my Pinball Bucket list is short, simple, and consists of a single title, and one that not too many of you would probably choose, but of all the pinball machines that I have walked past, and now, after years of walking past it to play more modern games, wish I had dropped a quarter in as much as I did every Pinbot I NEVER walked past-

Bally Centaur

I do not think a more fun ruleset has ever been hidden away waiting for you to find it and play it on a flatwood pinball machine. Given a chance to play almost any kind of pin at ZapCon this year, including all the latest Rudy this, Rush that, Godzilla-smilla, Valhalla-schmalla, and a whole lineup of more than 120+ titles ranging across almost every decade, I spent it mostly playing a ton of Centaur.

But then again I am a sucker for an add a ball ruleset. Which is why I own a Gottlieb Subway… and yes it is almost as much fun as Centaur in a “for it’s day” kind of way.

So what’s on your list?

#2 1 year ago

Tough question… Sorry to read this. Fuck cancer

#3 1 year ago

Agree with DK, a tough question. Sad about your prognosis, that news is one of my fears doing an annual physical.

My pinball bucket list is to play every pinball machine that I see.

#4 1 year ago

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers my friend.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago

I agree with the others.. tough question and BS for anyone to have to face what you are your family will moving forward. Prayers for you sir.

But you asked.. I feel in love with a Diner back in the day at a local bowling alley, and had a brief love affair with a high speed in college. Heart pick for my family is hurricane. But times change and currently STh premium is our absolute go to. I just don't see it ever leaving..

Outside of that.. I already have my Cyberball 2072 4 player arcade. Love that damn game.

#6 1 year ago

I don't have a bucket list of any kind, but it's an interesting idea. With my life ticking away, I'd probably go back to the beginning of my pinball adventure and play Gorgar.

Good luck with your battle sir. Modern medicine can do wonderful things to combat cancer these days.

#7 1 year ago

I don’t have a bucket list yet but I would definitely go back to my 2nd pin I ever owned and try to reach the Sun on pinbot one last time

I will try to make a road trip to the pin museum in Vegas and the one in Portland and play pins I never played before.Also the best time I have while playing pinball is playing 1v1 against my son in a beat out of 3 games..just like we did at Zapcon this year so we probably cross paths that weekend

Players go out to you and God bless you
Hope the best for you

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

So what’s on your list?

I don’t have a list. I find happiness in moments throughout each day as best I can. The future isn’t promised.

With my family history I’ll probably face the same things you are, which nobody should.

#9 1 year ago

I'm sorry for your recent diagnosis and wish you and your family the best.

The Pinball Circus. Bally 1994.
....and....to live in Ireland.

#10 1 year ago

Sorry to hear your diagnosis. Brave of u to share it.
Centaur is a special game.
Go to VFW show in fall. No better collection.

16526551697387433296226966287399 (resized).jpg16526551697387433296226966287399 (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

I’d go with something good and rare like Stern Quicksilver or Williams Warlok, maybe a HEP EBD as it’s one of my all time favorites. So sorry to hear about the diagnosis. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

#12 1 year ago

Sorry to hear your diagnosis, the waiting for results and appointments must be overwhelming. I had a blocked carotid artery which was scary for me, so I can only imagine how you feel. I also feel guilty as I have 2 Centaurs, I would loan you 1 if we were closer, until you found your own. Best of luck, and hope you can beat this.

#13 1 year ago

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but as a firefighter as one of my jobs, I’ve learned that life is not fair…
Buy whatever pin you want, learn to fly, go skydiving, drive an rv across the United States, buy or rent a Lamborghini to drive! Go to see concerts of your favorite bands! Seriously dude, do whatever you want, if the clock is ticking!
I’ve been fortunate to be able to travel the USA and play pretty much every pin that’s been produced. That being said, I need to spend more time on TZ (getting harder to find in the wild) or play Aliens. I need to get a JP2 prem or Le for my bucket list to play as well.
Do what you need to do, to give peace for you. Say Hi to stranger and say I Love you every day to family. Get a pet if you don’t have one. Live every day as if it is your last is my motto! Life is a joy… waking up every day is a blessing.

#14 1 year ago

Sorry to hear about your cancer, and good luck tracking down a Centaur. 'Energize Me!'

I had great memories of TAF and JP1 in the '90s and am happy to have finally owned those. Currently I am loving Stranger Things Premium and TWD pro.

I have a text file on my desktop called 'pins I want' with a long list of titles and keep moving titles up and down the list to figure out what I really want next when I finally rotate something out. Currently the top 5 are AIQ, BM66, Tron, BSD and Doctor Who. Maybe I should move Frontier and Space Shuttle up a little... ?

#15 1 year ago

Thanks to all who have posted. Wife said go find a Centaur... so, kinda in the market for one in Phoenix. At this juncture, a working players game with minimal lost wood and aftermarket boards in either flavor cabinet... I own a centaur b/g for the rapid-fire version. Not that I won't find one, but pinball machines seem to magically appear when I least expect one to turn up, r.e. my South Park, Central Park, Playland, and Subway all came about by luck. And I even had a NOS South Park playfield fall in my lap to go with it. So now I just wait... chances are I will answer a Craigslist ad for a "old pinball machine" and there it will sit needing new rubber and good cleaning, with the batteries removed and $3.50 still in the coin box. A man has to have a dream...

#16 1 year ago

I’m so sorry to read this and learn about it. You’re in my prayers, man. Best of wishes and I hope you score that Centaur!

#17 1 year ago

I’m so very sorry to read this. I can’t add much that others haven’t already said. All I can say is cherish the time you have with loved ones, make memories for them to cherish the rest of their lives and do whatever it is you want to do (legally that is ). God bless. I’ll keep you in my prayers. Pinball wise, I’d go to the Pinball Museum in Vegas and play EVERYTHING.

#18 1 year ago

Sorry to see this. You bought my South Park I brought to tpf a few years back. Praying you have a full recovery.

#19 1 year ago

Sorry to hear your diagnosis; fuck cancer. Like most posts above me. I hope you find your centaur.

My Pinball bucket list:
-pinball hall of fame
-play as many games as I can with wife and daughter
-someday go to an arcade and buy a game on every machine in the place leaving them for someone else
-tell the people I enjoy pinball with that they matter to me. (I should start to do this now)

#20 1 year ago

Bad news for sure. Keep fighting, cancer is survivable. Dealing with bad
news here too. Diagnosed with a large brain tumor two weeks ago, outlook
uncertain.

My bucket list;
Rockola World Series and Jigsaw
Adams Family
Twilight Zone

Steve

#21 1 year ago

Sorry to hear about this.

I think I've gotten to play/try all the pins I've wanted to and would focus on pinball experiences if that is your thing. Go to a pinball show, play in a pinball tournament or league for the experience (even if you suck) just for fun. Sell to a first time pin owner and walk them through the fun of setup and moving. Host a pinball night. Do a playfield swap or restoration if that is your thing. If you have money but not the skill get a HEP or a high end restored pin of choice. Buy and set up a NIB pin if you've never done it. I have more fun at shows knowing other people are enjoying the game that I brought. Make a game plan and list for your next of kin of what the pins are worth and how to sell them.

Also, remember that if pinball has made you happy the last few years, there is nothing stopping it from keeping you happy until the end. Just keep doing it the way you are doing it until you can't anymore.

Good luck and happy pinball!

#22 1 year ago

Centaur is a great game! Good luck in your search. As far as your diagnosis, everyone is rooting for you to recover.

#23 1 year ago

Oh man, that sucks, not what I was expecting to see. Hang in there. They can do some amazing stuff these days.

Bucket list, I would like to get out the Vegas and play the Pinball Circus. Would also like to get around to a few projects. Cyclone playfield swap, Roller Coast cab repaint, send out Screamo playfield for proper restoration. Seems like I'm always on the move though, so not such a bad thing.

#24 1 year ago

SantaEatsCheese I think I understand the reason why my list is so short... I think it comes from the habit of dropping a quarter in every machine I've ever had (or not had) the time to play for over the last 50 years. I have been to more Expos and festivals and shows, auctions, arcades, and pool halls, strip clubs and bars, bowling alleys (where it all started) as well as game rooms, basements and club houses, lodges, and vfw posts. I have played almost every Gottlieb Bally Williams game from 1965 on, and most as new titles. So the list of unplayed games is pretty short. As for your recommendations, I do everything you listed currently. I am in a league, I compete in tournaments when I can, I've been to PHOF like 6 times, Pin Expo and TPF, CAX, and took my NIB MBrLE and FG to ZapCon this year. I did my first pf swap last Xmas, and I have helped newbies buy their first machines and set them up. I have built my own Video pinball cabinet out of.an old RollerGames cabinet, I have programmed and done video recreations of titles in Visual Pinball. My pinball journey has been pretty complete. I do all my own repair work including electronics (US Navy trained technician) as well as cabinet and graphics restoration. So my pinball bucket has runneth over many times in the past. Thanks for all the thoughts and concern to all who are posting. BH

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I've been to PHOF like 6 times, Pin Expo and TPF, CAX, and took my NIB MBrLE and FG to ZapCon this year.

SFGE is coming up in July and FPF in November. I enjoy both but if only picking one, I would go with FPF and tournament and check out the Orlando attractions and other Florida things while there.

#26 1 year ago

I'm really sorry to read this man, definitely puts things into perspective. I hope you can continue to spend as much time with the people you love as possible.

9 months later
#27 1 year ago

Bump for PSA announcement.

#28 1 year ago

Wow, just saw your original post and will be praying for you.
You never know what cards life deals you.
Hang in there!

As far as bucket list. I see you're also an EM fan. I played a real cool EM, a Gottlieb Lariat at a buddies house.
It's a 2-player AAB game with a neat ruleset.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Bump for PSA announcement.

In my thoughts and prayers.

LTG : )

#30 1 year ago

Strength to you.

#31 1 year ago

No one will ever mistake me for a sunshine and rainbows type. That said I think hope is important, so when this subject comes up I do like to share that my wife was diagnosed with a grade 3 anaplastic astrocytoma in 2004. The median survival for that diagnosis at that time was around 2 years.

Two of her strongest traits are that she's stubborn as hell and a blind optimist, so she may very well have simply willed survival. But however it happened she's sitting next to me right now 19 years later. I hope you complete your bucket list and then end up with decades to wonder what you'll do next.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, renamed this and bumped it so people are aware and don’t do stupid things like ask me how I get up in the morning, which yancy was a real class act dick tread

Calling out a good guy like Yancy for this, considering the circumstances, is itself a real dick move.

Hope you can beat the cancer.

#33 1 year ago

Speaking of hope, I think there's a lot to be said for getting cryopreserved after one's heart stops in hopes of being revived by a more technologically advanced society.

It's a lot less expensive than people think too. Well within the budget of most people with a pinball collection, I'd say. And the main org, Alcor, is based in Arizona, so it'll be more convenient for you than for others, I'd say.

Just a thought. I hope things go well for you regardless. And I don't want this to start a flamewar or whatever, so it might be better if everyone who things cryonics is stupid just downvotes me instead of replying and derailing the conversation.

#34 1 year ago

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis Bublehead, and I’ll hope the best for you odds be what they may. In the meantime I hope you find your Centaur.

#35 1 year ago

9 months ago I was dealing with my own shit and missed this thread. In August I went into liver failure, end of September they told me I had pancreatic cancer and wouldn’t make it to Christmas.

I’ve since found a team willing to help. Through 8 rounds of chemo, 3 chemos per round

….This Monday I start a clinical trial for some experimental drug and some aggressive radiation over 5-7 days instead of weeks.

Surgery scheduled for end of March to resect as much as humanly possible without killing me, at least that’s the plan.

Not here to give you hope or pray for you because that shit pisses me off when people tell me that. Buy enough within reason as to not piss off your significant other or family when you’re gone.

I’ve decided to accelerate my gameroom plans. Make myself happy with what I’m getting it, share it with people I love and care about, and hopefully it will encourage my friends and family to get together and be happy when I’m gone.

#36 1 year ago

Also, not sure how much you are into arcade games. But I did buy one of those 17000 game arcade machines and it’s pretty cool with all the console shit on there too. And it freed up space for more pinball since I could get rid of older arcade cabinets. Haha

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Calling out a good guy like Yancy for this, considering the circumstances, is itself a real dick move.
Hope you can beat the cancer.

Wow! Really…the dude has a death sentence and you are calling him out on this? Yancy is a big boy! He can defend himself on the pinside. Me personally… I think he is being calm about the whole thing. I hope you beat cancer was a nice slap in the face. I’m glad you enjoyed that…asshat!

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Wow! Really…the dude has a death sentence and you are calling him out on this? Yancy is a big boy! He can defend himself on the pinside. Me personally… I think he is being calm about the whole thing. I hope you beat cancer was a nice slap in the face. I’m glad you enjoyed that…asshat!

Thanks for your support. It felt a little to close to home to let it lay so I just posted a little wake tf up message for everyone, but also I let them know WHY, because frankly I’m having a hard enough time actually getting out of bed some days.

#39 1 year ago

I'm sorry for calling you out, but I think you did blindside him. You went from bantering about movies to FU real quick, and I'm pretty sure no malice was intended on his part. Not everyone has read this thread.

#40 1 year ago

wishing you the best guys, bublehead and Goldenbeard. just lost my dad this week to his second bout of lung cancer. Shit is everywhere nowadays. So damn sickening that they won't release a cure, because it is out there i believe. Keep your head up guys and dont let a few jack asses on here bring you down. FIght the good fight my friends.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'm sorry for calling you out, but I think you did blindside him. You went from bantering about movies to FU real quick, and I'm pretty sure no malice was intended on his part. Not everyone has read this thread.

WTF! You don’t even get it. He was speaking his mind. He even cared enough to share this with us is someone who believes in pinside. That means he actually cared about you and what you thought. That was careless of him to actually to think that. Hell if he wants me to his punching bag. More power to him!

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Not here to give you hope or pray for you because that shit pisses me off when people tell me that.

LMAO!

Not to derail the thread, I wish nothing but the best for you guys, but I could not agree more.

99% of those who say thoughts and prayers have forgotten about your situation 5 minutes after saying it. Those who really care are the ones who check in on you on a regular basis to see how you're doing.

I find it interesting when people make their medical issues public. If that helps you out and gives you peace of mind, then I'm all for it. But that's not me.

I've got some shit going on and the only people that know are my immediate family and my best 3 friends. My thought is, no one else really gives a shit.

In fact, my brother is now dealing with the same shit and when I asked if he's told anyone, he said no because he didn't want to be a burden on anyone. That statement kinda hit home.

Bubblehead and goldenbeard, hang in there, man. I've always believed a positive attitude makes a huge difference.

#43 1 year ago

Sorry to hear this...Prayers for you, stay strong

#44 1 year ago

I want to thank those posting. I don’t mind hollow promises for religious plights in my favor, what harm can it do? You want to say “I’ll pray for you” and you really talk to God for me, and maybe he listens to you? Who am I to argue, especially if he does grant people their pleas offered up in good faith. If his bounty is channeled to me by others good faith, I’ll take it. As far as I am concerned, he didn’t give me the cancer, but if he could talk to Dad and get me a reprieve, I wouldn’t argue one bit.

Even though liver cancer is terminal, bad fucked up shit, the radioembolization treatment is a miracle and it kills the blood supply to the tumors, effectively starving them and causing them to shrink. When the cancer “figures” this out, it will start to grow new blood vessels and we start this dance all over again. This coupled with immunotherapy can keep the cancer “beat down”, but it does nothing to actually get rid of the underlying disease, there currently is no cure, and my tumors are so large, and my liver so severely scarred, removing enough margins to effectively physically resect the cancer takes too much remaining good liver, it sends my liver into organ death, which leads to my own eventually.

I don’t mind sharing my medical condition, why would I be ashamed of being struck by lightning? Because, be it hit by a freight train, semi truck, being thrown under a bus, or cut down with liver cancer, why should I be ashamed or feel guilty for getting dealt a bad hand in life?

The one thing, and this is the hardest part of all of this, is the guilt you feel as everyone try’s to lift all burdens from you. “Don’t get up, I’ll get it for you” starts being the phrase you hate the most, because it makes you feel like you are a lazy slob, and can’t even wipe your own ass anymore. I went through that with my father and Parkinson’s, and when you get to that stage, that’s when the guilt really piles on.

So I only ask people be respectful of my feelings, that they know so they don’t say stupid things like “how do you get up in the morning?” Which is what prompted me to expound on my condition and let people know in the first place because yancy was unaware and put his foot in his mouth. That shit hurt, and I don’t care who gets their tits in a wringer about me calling him out.

Peace. BH

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I find it interesting when people make their medical issues public. If that helps you out and gives you peace of mind, then I'm all for it. But that's not me.
I've got some shit going on and the only people that know are my immediate family and my best 3 friends. My thought is, no one else really gives a shit.
In fact, my brother is now dealing with the same shit and when I asked if he's told anyone, he said no because he didn't want to be a burden on anyone. That statement kinda hit home.

I belong to a couple of clubs and know people that are going through shit. My own brother was supposed to die 2 years ago with stage 4 and never told the extended family for 6mo.. and that was only because it was close to that estimate..Infact all of them are pretty quiet about it and really don't want to talk about it even when you want to be interested, cause you don't want to loose them. I agree with your statement. It's all about trying to be strong for themselves, according to them. I try to be there as if there is no problem and have as much fun as if there never was.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Even though liver cancer is terminal

I don't see it mentioned so I'm gonna ask, have you looked into that experimental T cell therapy treatment? The one that uses your own modified T cells to attack the cancer cells?

#47 1 year ago

Sorry about your cancer, I have been dealing with my own health issues, so I know some of what you are going through

When people offer to help me, I remain pleasant (because I may need your help in the future) and tell them "I am pig-headed, I might be slow, but I want to do things for myself"

My pinball bucket list;
Try to meet some of the people I have been chatting to online for the last 10 years
Sell some games so that is one less burden for my family when I go

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Sell some games so that is one less burden for my family when I go

I willed mine to my nephews… they now eagerly await my death like vultures… I’m joking. They have to wait till my wife dies THEN they get them. So they keep asking to work on the brakes of our car…

That said, what you going to have to unload? I may be dying but I’m a sucker for a good deal

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I don't see it mentioned so I'm gonna ask, have you looked into that experimental T cell therapy treatment? The one that uses your own modified T cells to attack the cancer cells?

This is being saved until the tumors stop responding to radioembolization or after the third treatment, since this is the maximum they can legally expose me to radiation for my lifetime dose, also, this treatment is hard on “good” liver tissue which I have a limited supply of, and the treatment is indiscriminate on what it kills by killing the blood supply to it. If that is tumor tissue, the tumor shrinks, if that is good liver tissue, it dies and that liver function is lost mostly forever for me, my regeneration capability in my liver, though currently stable, could be pushed into liver death by any of these treatments. One thing all cancer patients become are armchair oncologists after all the research we do on cures, treatments, and mechanics of cancer.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

That said, what you going to have to unload? I may be dying but I’m a sucker for a good deal

Shipping will be expensive

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
£ 195.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-bucket-list- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.