New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 119467)

Pinball browser: Bringing color changing Gi to the pro

By DevilsTuner

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TimeBandit
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Oga83 wanted me to start a thread to gauge interest on bringing color changing Gi to the pros. So who is in. Leave your comments below. Oga will be by shortly to say a few words.

#2 5 years ago

The "leds animations" could be triggered by specific dmd frames or sound calls

#3 5 years ago

I think this is awesome!

#4 5 years ago

Uh yeah, totally.....Metpro would be very cool

#5 5 years ago

Fade to black really needs to go to black per switch hit. Every hit lowers lights. Would be awesome.

#6 5 years ago

How would this work? You'd have to install/wire a bunch of those small LED boards everywhere?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Fade to black really needs to go to black per switch hit. Every hit lowers lights. Would be awesome.

This could also be possible

#8 5 years ago

Great idea, would love to incorporate Color Changing GI into some of my pros!

#9 5 years ago

Would love it in my TWD pro.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

How would this work? You'd have to install/wire a bunch of those small LED boards everywhere?

A separate harness could be made and the lights would be controlled by PWM via software. It would require some moderate to advanced skills to install but this is pinball. Look how crazy people went over Eli's Tron stuff. I think most people wouldn't care if they had to add a aux harness so to speak. If its above some peoples skill set thats fine but I think most could handle it. I counted 27 empty bulbs spots on my met pro pf.

I would love to see a Sanitarium CIU mode as well. I pitched it to Borg he loved the idea. Unfortunately they are swamped and the use of the song would cause Stern to pay more money in audio royalties.

I suggested the ball be trapped in the sanitarium (Behind the drops) then a second ball would be launched for you to knock down the drops and free the captured ball. Sorry I digress.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

A separate harness could be made and the lights would be controlled by PWM via software. It would require some moderate to advanced skills to install but this is pinball. Look how crazy people went....

Oh I have the skills... ...just wondering how it would work. I might be in for such a thing.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jms121:

Would love it in my TWD pro.

Would love it in my TWD LE

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Pinball Browser would be used to define the "scenarios" for the leds : when (triggered by a frame, a sound or a switch) and how (color, intensity).

#14 5 years ago

Bump

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I suggested the ball be trapped in the sanitarium (Behind the drops) then a second ball would be launched for you to knock down the drops and free the captured ball. Sorry I digress.

This would not work because there is no opto switch directly behind the target to tell the game a ball is there. Plus, there is no way for the game to free the ball because it cannot drop the targets itself. Multi player games would further compound the issues.

Rob

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

This would not work because there is no opto switch directly behind the target to tell the game a ball is there. Plus, there is no way for the game to free the ball because it cannot drop the targets itself. Multi player games would further compound the issues.
Rob

Ball would freeze on magnet like the sjp then targets would reset. Player would bash them down to release ball. Multiplayer would be a issue

#17 5 years ago

Nevermind after thinking about it if the layer drained the ball would be stuck. Oh well back to color shifting gi

#19 5 years ago

This is something I'd be very interested in doing for sure, it's really the only thing that I miss from a few of the premiums that I have pros.

#20 5 years ago

Sounds great

#22 5 years ago

I would love to see the color changing GI in xmen pro (red, white, blue) like the LE. That would be awesome!

#23 5 years ago

any tips on how to get this going?

#24 5 years ago

What a great Idea. OGA is the man for sure

#25 5 years ago

I am in for something like this - I would love to see this become a reality for our pros....

#26 5 years ago

I'd be game. That was one thing I really wanted on my Xmen Pro.

#27 5 years ago

The only problem I have seen with your solution is that it requires your personal intervention to customize. I know you say you will do it for free, that it only takes a few minutes, but seriously...how long before reqeusts snowball into something ridiculous. I hate imposing that kind of crap on people, but you know if you do that, it will be inevitable.

#28 5 years ago

I guess I need to buy a copy of the tool at this point...Stern has been rather lax with not trying to shut it down up until now but at the point it can change the actual game code and controls...not sure they're gonna let that fly..

#29 5 years ago

I just dont want giant led strips. I want factory like functionality.

#30 5 years ago

Ok after looking at other thread and seeing sockets thats what I am after.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Ok after looking at other thread and seeing sockets thats what I am after.

Yes, the GI Theatre is built around the idea of sockets, not LED strips.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The only problem I have seen with your solution is that it requires your personal intervention to customize. I know you say you will do it for free, that it only takes a few minutes, but seriously...how long before reqeusts snowball into something ridiculous. I hate imposing that kind of crap on people, but you know if you do that, it will be inevitable.

Yes, good point. The plan is to have an intermediate tool so people can add their own rules. But that is a big undertaking to create on top of getting the hardware together. It has to be phase 2 of the build. I am thinking 98% of people would be happy with plug and play versions, and if that is successful then I will allocate time for the software add on. It's sort of a self correcting problem, in that if I am inundated with requests, then clearly the product is successful, at which point I will be able to invest further time and funds to further development.

#33 5 years ago

This would really be killer for the pros. Do it!

3 weeks later
#34 5 years ago

Did this die or is it in the works?

#35 5 years ago

It's still in the works, last I heard he's working on it and should have something to show soon.

1 week later
#36 5 years ago

An, 'I would definitely be in" bump...

#37 5 years ago

Since there are extra light holes in a lot of the pros, this would be an awesome mod. Thinking about picking up a Met and it would be pretty sweet. I considered just wiring in the extra lights and putting a different color in there along with the white.

#38 5 years ago

100% still happening. There are so many annoying things to wait on. My met pro even got held up at the West coast docks on the way here and is now 4 weeks late, for example. I have a whole new understanding for people undertaking big projects. It's a wonder they ever get done. And just to clarify it's not using pinball browser like this thread title, which sort of got hijacked by me reluctantly. Look for updates here....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 35.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside