IMG_5411 (resized).jpg
IMG_9571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2635 (resized).JPG
IMG_2634 (resized).JPG
IMG_2633 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slapdrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6120 2 years ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Put my deposit down today for an LV and Melissa from Cointaker said 6-8 months lead time (30-60 days for the Standard). Sound accurate?

I’m hopeful we are past the initial super long delays the early adopters experienced.

1 month later
#7176 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Anybody know what the current lead time is between ordering from cointakers and getting in hand for a standard edition?

I preordered an Sv on jan 21st. No word on an eta yet.

2 months later
#8369 1 year ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Any SV deliveries?

Pre-ordered an SV early Jan 22' and it just got delivery yesterday. Xeno tongue gear grub screw was loose and it wouldnt pass calibration. Took off the xeno head and tightened the screw. Everything has been functioning perfectly so far.

#8393 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Did you order through cointaker?
I preordered late December 2021
and haven't heard anything since
Not in a huge rush but I would like to get my game.
Figured it would be 8-10 months.

Yes, I ordered from cointaker in Jan 22’. Did you order an SV or an LV? Strange I got mine before you if it’s an SV.

1 week later
#8703 1 year ago

Made some progress on the PnP Extended Play Coil Cooler kit... This game gets hot.

IMG_0950 (resized).jpegIMG_0950 (resized).jpeg

#8705 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

cool! - no pun intended!
I am buying a 3d printer soon and will be working at making my own fan holders, I know this mod already exist but since I am buying the 3d printer for other things, might as well print this too.

That is the amazing part of having a 3d printer! Welcome to the hobby.

#8712 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

First I also printed 3d part but now I found fans that fit directly on the coil. Very nice, 5v, running via USB. Check on Aliexpress
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004043076646.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.309679d2kkWbMq&gatewayAdapt=glo2nld[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! That looks like a great setup. How is the noise level on those fans? Have you had any issues with them coming loose and falling off the coils? I don’t see a need to reinvent the wheel if there is already a working solution to the problem.

#8716 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

They seem to have a heat sink that clamps on around the coil.
Heat transfers from the coil to the heatsink and the fans cools the HS down… however…
If you want to nerd out, I would connect a thermocouple to the coil to measure the temp with just the fan and another reading with the heatsink.
The heat transfer might not be efficient without the use of thermal paste - which is used in between components and a heatsink - in other words, the HS might not work and it is actually detrimental to the cooling process (blocking the air)
Thinking out loud

Im interested in this theory and I have my thermo couples setup on my game currently. I just ordered one of these heatsinks from amazon and ill do a comparison of the temps between just a fan blowing air and the heatsink setup.

#8730 1 year ago

Testing done and its pretty obvious why the hypersleep lock shot gets harder and harder as the game goes on.

Alien (resized).pngAlien (resized).png
#8734 1 year ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Nice info. Wonder how the $2.34 fans from China work. I could outfit 20 of my games for the price of one of the premium fan kits out there. I'm sure they are not as good, but they may be good enough.

They would be good enough for sure. If you have the ability to diy I highly encourage it.

Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Are you going to make coolers specifically for Alien/Pinball Brothers?

Yes I am!

#8736 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What's the power supply for yalls fans, 5v or 12v? Where are you pulling from?

12v external power supply.

#8738 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Plugged into the service outlet?
I've been trying to come up with a way to make them run only when the game is on. Something like a sound activated relay that stays on for 5 minutes after hearing a flipper go clack.

I’m using a splitter before the power supply in the bottom of the cab. It’s the easiest way to power an external power supply for mods. This is before the power switch but I use a smart plug to kill power to my games. I will be working on a setup that triggers when the game is on for people that use the power switch. I’m leaning towards a light sensor on the gi. I’m trying to keep the cost as low as possible for my kits.

66C203E6-DF66-4B15-967A-6A7FAD667292 (resized).jpeg66C203E6-DF66-4B15-967A-6A7FAD667292 (resized).jpeg

#8742 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I have games on location that I'd consider putting fans on but I'd only want them running while games are played plus a few minutes

The fans included in my kits are server grade and are designed to run 24/7 for years in extreme environments. I have a few of my kits on games that are on location for months running 15hrs a day with zero issues.

Quoted from ticktockman:

Does increasing flipper strength help with the Hypersleep lock?

In my experience yes but only for so long

Quoted from Mageek:

I have my upper right at +25% helps me, pretty good at hitting it now.

I had my flippers set this way as well but it only lasts for so long until they start to fade from heat.

#8846 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Are there any adjustments to make so that the hyper sleep ramp is hittable, more than one time in a thousand, from the upper right flipper? Other than play better?
Thanks....

If you are getting a lot of half ramp rejects coil strength is your problem. You could try upping your strength to +30% but that only lasts for so long before the coils start to get hot and fade. The fix for that would be coil cooling. If you can’t hit the shot at all coil strength isn’t going to help you. I find the shot is pretty late on the flipper.

#8866 1 year ago

They are ready for anyone who is interested in a PnP sub 10 minute to install solution!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-announcement-extended-play-coil-coolers-pinball-brothers-alien

#8868 1 year ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Very interesting, I'm sorry if you mentioned it somewhere else already but how about how noticeably loud are these with the game all closed up?

I have had many people who have bought them for the other games i make them for describe them as "completely silent".

#8932 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

so this just started happening today out of the blue. Im hoping it just means a wire is loose or something? it boots up, calibrates and then the screen is stuck oln volume control between two volume numbers going back and forth. Its locked up. Coin door buttons do nothing. I rebooted 3 times to the same thing. thoughts?[quoted image]

Check the three fuses in the playfield controller box. Exact same thing happened to mine, all the fuses were good they just needed to be reseated.

https://pinballbrothers.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/80000596607-volume-is-flickering-up-down

#8940 1 year ago

Anyone know if the only way to light extra ball is by lighting it with the mystery award?

#8944 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

dunno but you then need to pray the ball gets to the upper right flipper and you can hit the hypersleep shot heh

ya its definitely not a given. I have left a few eb's on the table already.

Quoted from Mageek:

Depends on your settings based on # of lifecycles completed lights extra ball, I set mine to 2 to make it a bit easier but maybe too easy may change it back to 3

I'll take a look into that, I have newt set to 2 life cycles so maybe ill set eb to the 3rd.

2 weeks later
#9343 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You are missing my point. I'm not discounting your fade, I'm saying there may be an issue with the flipper/mech itself causing it to get hot fast. These flippers are STRONG and default power on uppers is actually too much (at least on mine). Leaving the upper ones on default makes my balls fly all over. My additional comment was wondering if PB made some change to the assembly/mechs that is causing many of the later games to see more flipper issues that the earlier games don't have. I'm also questioning if turning the power down at least on the upper right flipper might help with your issue.

The coils on my recent run Alien heat up and fade very quickly. Have you ever tested your game with temp probes? Im curious to see what your game looks like?

TempChart (resized).jpegTempChart (resized).jpeg
#9535 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

.....4 straight hours last night without a setback minus hearing the ball launch clicking without a ball to launch on a few occasions ....

Interesting I had this on my game from the very beginning and just ignored it. Now a month later and its much worse. It fires the ball launch coil without fail 15-30 seconds after any new bail is launched into play. I have a support ticket about the issue now. The problem rises when it fires the coil during a multiball. What i think is happening during a multiball is by luck and timing it "phantom fires" the launch coil when a ball is in the shooter lane putting a ball into play without the game knowing. This results in the ball ending when going down to single ball play after a mb. The worse I've seen is end of ball with 3 balls still in play when i had newt and sentry stacked. Its annoying to say the least.

#9539 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I think it launches 2 or 3 balls quickly... but if you lose your balls right away, it pauses for 15 seconds before launching another ball. I thought this was normal because the machine thinks you're distracted or having a temporary mental breakdown during a game?

Correct and if during that 15 second pause it "phantom fires" the launch coil you get an extra ball in play.

#9546 1 year ago

Wow, Just had a 6 ball frenzy sentry gun because of my ball launch issue! I hope I captured it in the logs i sent to support. Only thing they had me do so far was check connectors on trough optos and do a switch test on the shooter lane switch which both passed.

btw: FW 2.8 but i have seen this on 2.7 as well.

#9587 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

Ordered! Thank you for the suggestion!

Thanks again, Your kit is all packed up and ready to ship first thing in the morning.

Mike
-RavSpec:PlayLonger-

I have plenty of kits in stock and ready ship if anyone else is interested.

#9588 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Someone should post some really good pics of the later build flipper mechs. I'm curious is something changed.
Also, still using stock balls. Nothing wrong with them.

There are some decent pics of the flipper mechs in my shop listing for my cooler kits. If something looks different than what you have post them up and ill take some more detailed pictures as well. Coyohtay on here has a very early game and has mentioned experiencing flipper fade on their game as well.

1 week later
#9783 1 year ago
Quoted from KeeperUSA:

If that is the case, why do the coils on Alien get so much hotter? I played my IM for two hours last night and the coils weren’t as hot for the same playtime on Aliens.

Quoted from Mageek:

All of your flippers? Have you checked them for any kind of mechanical drag? This is not an inherent fault , there must be something wrong.

Depending on your play style the coils in this game can get very hot regardless of "mechanical drag".

TempChart (resized).jpegTempChart (resized).jpeg
#9845 1 year ago

I sent a log of my issues on 2.8 and ran back to the safety of 2.7 while it is sorted out. Otherwise this game is really great. I took the time the other day to do the standup target mod and I like how they rebound way better.

3 weeks later
#10273 1 year ago

I need to make a parts order and would like to throw in whatever flipper button leaf switches i would need to eventually get stage flipping working on my SV. Does anyone know what flipper leafs we need for that?

#10281 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Staged flippers are not programmed in yet. Turning the feature on actually caused issues in my LV.

I know but if I’m making a parts order I would rather just throw them in the cart and have them on hand for when they are working.

#10320 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Is there a service outlet in the game? I’m not seeing it.

Service outlet can be added easily if needed.

00EA4B60-A904-436B-9C54-6F9C2A407453 (resized).jpeg00EA4B60-A904-436B-9C54-6F9C2A407453 (resized).jpeg
#10384 1 year ago

Im going to be streaming Alien tonight on twitch with the new 3.0 code if anyone is interested.

Twitch.tv/SlapDrain 7pm est

#10388 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Somebody recently posted a link to a detailed rule set that lays out missions, modes and so forth. Can anyone point me to that post or provide the link? Did a search and tried to backtrack through the last few pages, but man this topic grows quickly!

https://images.pinside.com/1/0c/f4/10cf41dc55cbdaa3e6f643a8a7068a7c097e6d76.pdf

#10391 1 year ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Are all 5 weapon targets leds supposed to illuminate with the code update? I just updated and target 5 (furthest to the right) still doesn’t light up. I checked connection and it’s secured.

Target leds have not been addressed in the 3.0 code from what i can tell.

#10426 1 year ago

I had the strangest stuck ball i have ever seen during my stream last night. It happened twice, anyone ever see this? I installed brand new ball baron carbon steel balls before the stream.

Clip
https://clips.twitch.tv/LachrymoseDifferentWaterDendiFace-HRdPSV7-hx_s0KsT

#10430 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Crazy.. did you ever hit that hypersleep shot last night? You may be able to lower that upper right flipper a tad to make that shot...

I did only a few times. I think i had one half ramp and 4 or 5 completed shots. I have something I did a little different with my flipper angle and i wish i saw your comment in chat about flipper angle on the upper flipper because i played around with mine a bunch and think i found the sweet spot. Its hard to explain in txt form. Next time i stream ill mention how i have it adjusted and my theory behind it.

2 weeks later
#10700 1 year ago
Quoted from AD72:

What is the wiring of the dual stage flipper in the LV? I bought some from Pinball Life in anticipation of the code updated for SV.

Im curious about this as well. It seems like we should only need to add one or two wires to the short harness coming off the flipper button. The main harness seems to already have the extra wiring needed.

#10711 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I haven't had it on startup (I did experience it previously from time to time), yesterday after the machine was sitting in attract mode for a while, it went blank...had to power cycle it...

same. attract mode still locks up for me sometimes.

#10712 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Does anyone have a link with detailed instructions on how to perform the disc rebuild? Thought I saw it in here at some point.

Its really not bad at all. When i did mine i had an issue where the usb cables weren't plugged into the correct spots and the game failed to boot until i rearranged them. 2.2 didn't have the usb detection fixes that the newer versions have.

https://pinballbrothers.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/80000843825--how-to-rebuild-machine-alien-2-2

#10733 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

First thing to check is if the coil return spring is broken under the playfield (the spring that pulls the flipper back to it's resting position). This has happened to all 4 of my flippers on Alien, and it's the only game i've ever had this happen on at all.
If you can move the flipper without it springing back down, that's the problem. If so, it's an easy fix, you can just hook the (broken) spring back on using another loop, but you should order some spares in the meantime as these factory ones are clearly prone to breaking.

Seconded… I have had 3 of my coil return springs break as well.

1 week later
#10911 1 year ago

Just finished assembling a bunch of coil cooler kits for aliens. They are available for immediate shipment. International orders welcome pm for shipping quote.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec

16A23108-360C-4749-A659-E1A307FEAD7A (resized).jpeg16A23108-360C-4749-A659-E1A307FEAD7A (resized).jpeg
#10915 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

Anyone have instructions on how to swap out pop bumper eggs?

Just two Phillips screws on top. Very easy

3 weeks later
#11291 1 year ago
Quoted from Derekk:

My Thoughts.......... Awesome Game I can't stop playing it. A little clunky but it is a wide body and so is Data East GNR. Coils Overheat and flippers become weak. Customer support is Extremely fast. As long as PB make good on the issues I am having then I would be Fine with this purchase and this company.

Im here when you need me, my data supports your claim:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec/07046-extended-play-coil-coolers-pinball-brothers-alien

#11319 1 year ago
Quoted from fsumassey:

This might be stupid but do you keep the diode on?

Go for the double stack switches so you are ready for when the game supports it.

#11328 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

Speaking from my own experience, I replaced the flipper leaf switches on my LV with the Stern double stack ones from Pinball Life and used the existing screws just fine.
Can't speak for SV, though.

SV screws will work as well.

1 week later
#11449 1 year ago
Quoted from timbo74:

Hi guys, I'm renting this game for the next couple of months, it's got a few issues. The owner has opened a ticket but I'm hoping they're problems others have had.
First: the airlock monitor only works for the power up sequence, then goes black. Games and attract mode - nothing.
Second: the C drop target doesn't work and is constantly in the down position.
Third: the right upper flipper doesn't spring all the way back to EOS (it does eventually)
Fourth: The start button is super sticky (as in stuck in so it needs to be kinda knocked out to trigger it)
I think that's about it, I've only had a couple of games. Any ideas?

Third is flipper return spring. Mine have broken a few times already.

1 month later
#12508 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Does not ship to Canada? well that sucks now its ali express bits instead. Seems a shame it can't be difficult to ship to Canada. Feels bad man.

PM sent. I ship international.

#12530 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

reach out to sonic...he makes mrs switches that could be the solution...R&M has a similar loop switch that doesn't activate...the mrs switch was the solution...

Alien doesn’t use standard switches or have cutouts in the playfield for switches. MRS won’t work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 160.00
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slapdrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=slapdrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.