IMG_5411 (resized).jpg
IMG_9571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2635 (resized).JPG
IMG_2634 (resized).JPG
IMG_2633 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdpinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#536 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Has anyone heard back from Pinball Brothers regarding the vouchers? I sent an email and it has been radio silence!

They kindly asked me to wait until the end of March to get a better handle on orders. I wouldn’t be surprised if the update on vouchers also gets delayed though. My plan is to continue to be patient with fingers crossed.

5 months later
#2870 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I think we are all waiting to see if the playfield screen makes a comeback.

I’m not. And I owned Heighway LE version. The playfield screen meant little to me. The airlock screen was more useful. What was chosen to fill the area of the playfield screen isn’t the best choice in my opinion either. I guess I’d have preferred something that tied in with the art better. What I would like to see on the LV would be the thick powder-coated armor and removable attached glass. Those were fantastic features of the original. The feel of flipping OG Alien LE was different than any other pin due to those rails. Lots of surface area of cool (temperature) powdered paint for the palms to rest on. Doubt it will happen but would be great!

#3029 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Yep, the playfield screen added a new level of immersion to the gameplay experience. Removing it was probably a costs decision not an artistic decision.
It doesn't work for every game, but it worked perfectly in Alien, mainly because monitors and displays were used abundantly throughout both movies.
Substituting this remarkable pinball innovation with a simple sentry gun graphic? "Did IQ's just suddenly drop while I was away?"
The game was always designed...from concept to creation, to have an LCD in the playfield.

Playfield screen WOULD have added much more to immersion of the gameplay experience if it would have provided different information, images, or video. But the back box and playfield screens play EXACTLY the same material. That’s why the airlock screen is the important/useful one that adds to the game. The playfield screen added lighting but not content.

With regard to which is better, OG LE or new LV, I’ll wait to have some time on the new one before chiming in on that.

#3069 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

We get it, it’s better.

Not better. Different.

#3070 2 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Anyone who thinks the elimination of the PF monitor is insignificant doesn’t understand how helpful it is as it allows you to focus on the action instead of having to look up at the back box to get information.

I didn’t find much difference in looking up to back box or airlock vs. looking at the playfied screen. Ever flown with or driven with a HUD? Playfield screen was kinda like that. Your eyes and attention are focused on the ball and the flippers, as well as targets. The pf screen is there but kinda seems like background information seen in peripheral vision. Need to focus on the pf screen and absorb the information. During that time of focus, could easily drain the ball unless it’s under control. If under control, easy to process info from any of the screens, or any other info coming in. Agree it looks cool and added to the lights, but not really functional. Now hearing Aurich’s take, I really wish he’d have been involved in the art/function of the replacement for that area.

#3116 2 years ago

LV deposit in. It’s been a LOOOoOoOoOoOooooonnnnnngggggg ride. Super stoked to have this title back in the house. Look forward to the sequel in the future!

#3123 2 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

“Is” as opposed to “there will never be”…..catch the distinction?

Yeah, that’s how I read it too, right after dropping a deposit for the LV!

1 week later
#3310 2 years ago

Prrrty

2 weeks later
#3478 2 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

this romanticizing of boutique stuff needs to stop.

Why?… Romanticizing new games, including new themes, new mechanisms, new art packages, etc - no matter where they come from - is practically the reason for pinside. Wishing success to boutiques is positive for the hobby. Boutiques open doors for new possibilities and push larger manufacturers towards a better product.

#3514 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Yes ask Cato to send you a protector for the airlock.

I’m not sure if the airlock protector is the same as was on the OG LE, but if it’s the same that came from highway, it was crap and basically got destroyed after a few months of light play. Cliffy had a set for the OG Alien and his airlock protector was far superior! I’ll definitely purchase from Cliff if the one Cato sends is an OG part.

5 months later
#6653 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I don't suggest putting tape over the original backbox leds. They already run pretty hot, this would make it alot worse. A very bad idea imo.
I was actually glad to disconnect them to get heat away from the unit. Just removed and unplugged from the pcb inside.
The rear vents on the backbox are actually covered by the speaker mdf and I think used to vent the speakers.
I added centre vents to my machine for better ventilation of the backbox pc as well as a low dB fan as I have some spare..
LV translite art nearly ready to print and should be finalised today. Here is the original prototype version when I was testing the led strip in blue and green.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

???!

1E777A9E-DC2C-48AB-9296-1778053C20E1 (resized).jpeg1E777A9E-DC2C-48AB-9296-1778053C20E1 (resized).jpeg
#6655 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

If you are circling the JAWS pin, he made a custom Fish Tales Re-theme which is amazing. Pretty sure once whoever presumably Stern comes out with one it will look great next to Alien that’s for sure!

People on here are just rad… and thank you for answering my question!

2 weeks later
#7202 1 year ago

If you are, or know, a pinsider and Alien fan that wants an Alien LV now, and do not want to wait, let me know. I would be willing to sell my NIB LV for MSRP plus shipping ($11.1k) to someone in this group. I have another pin up for sale and if that one sells, then I reserve the right to not sell the LV. PS - no I don’t WANT to sell it. Hopefully will sell the other first but we’ll see.

#7206 1 year ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Great deal, but how'd you get yours so quickly if you only put your deposit down in September 2021? I'm two months later and spot #288 or something. Would love to move up.

I really don’t know… I think maybe b/c I put an actual $1k deposit down in 9/2021, but I had been “on the list” for much, much longer with a $1 deposit. Who knows though?

#7231 1 year ago
Quoted from DoorCounty:

So LV with shipping costs 11,115 ?

MSRP $10,695. Shipping $418. Total $11,113. Good news though, looks like I sold my other machine (pending pick up) and will be able to keep Alien LV. Unbox this wknd. I’ll share my experiences here too.

#7261 1 year ago

Well, I guess I couldn’t wait for the weekend to unbox.

I’d like to point out a couple differences between the PB Alien LV and the previous Heighway LE (I have not played a standard alien, only LE and LV - owner of both). All in all, I’m very satisfied with the purchase of the LV. Set up was cake. Version 2.5 was loaded and I immediately upgraded to 2.6 before I even pressed the start button. There don’t seem to be any issues. I’m revived on my love of pinball in general. So, thank you PB for getting this thing out to us!

With regard to pinball fun, for me personally, I would say PB LV is leaps and bounds more of a positive experience than the Heighway version. The main reason for this is the anxiety of when it breaks. I don’t have the technical capabilities like some of us on here, in order to be competent to own the heighway version, without being anxious about when something goes wrong. Even though the original version has a tremendously wonderful, and helpful community, I still worried every time the thing would shut down unexpectedly, or some part would break. With pinball brothers, an active company trying to make its way in this industry, the anxiety of playing is gone. That makes the game way more fun.

With regard to game specifics, here are some pros and cons, not in any particular order…

Audio: Heighway Version was better. Not a bummer for me - easily upgradable. Will need to boost the bass to get the same sound effect as the original version. Audio is important for me so I will be upgrading. Even though it’s not as good as the original version, the pinball brothers LV Audio is still better than most other new games that I’ve played.

Cabinet, back box, trim: it’s toss up. They are different. I like the PB tiltable box better, but I like the heighway liftable, removable glass better. Trim: I liked the Heighway Blue best but never saw that one in person. The PB Blue is a close 2nd. I was never a fan of the green. Short versus tall flashers make no difference to me, but one of my kids liked the tall ones better.

Cabinet art: Also a toss up. I like both versions probably equally. They are different.

Back Box art: PB LV version is amazing. Aurich hit it out of the park on this one. I actually thought I would like a bigger screen better on the box, however I’ve completely changed on that one. I like the smaller screen better b/c the art is so good.

Playfield art/lights: Heighway takes the win on this one. Even though I did not use the playfield screen during gameplay, I did like the lighting effect that it had.

Ramps/toys/apron: LV is overall better. I do like how shiny the mirror ramps are in the new version here, but I think when some more time gets on them, the ball trails will stand out. The heighway version had a more industrial look. The Xenomorph toy seems to be much louder on the PB LV version which is a negative. Even though there’s not much to it, the metal apron is a huge improvement over the plastic piece of crap that came on the heighway version.

Gameplay: The updates are huge. The software improvements for the PB version make the game way better. This includes the attract animation art. I really like that scene. Incorporating the flashers more often is great. Having the extra magnet to hold prior to the upper left playfield shots was a fantastic idea.

Feel: Both the LE and LV versions are widebody tanks, heavy, and difficult to move. Luckily I’m not small. I don’t know if my previous LE got too tossed around in shipping or what, but now that I’ve got this new LV, there is a noticeable difference in the sturdiness. The LE felt rickety, felt top-heavy on swaying legs. The LV feels very solid comparatively, which I definitely like.

The win goes to PB. But I am definitely biased as that is the current version that I own! Ha!
5C894730-D93A-45D1-80E6-835E610F57CD (resized).jpeg5C894730-D93A-45D1-80E6-835E610F57CD (resized).jpeg1848FBCE-4211-42A3-AF0B-7D27522CED6C (resized).jpeg1848FBCE-4211-42A3-AF0B-7D27522CED6C (resized).jpeg496B259C-79D7-4CE2-99CE-77F6B9A919A3 (resized).jpeg496B259C-79D7-4CE2-99CE-77F6B9A919A3 (resized).jpeg688B1479-8775-4B73-AAC9-974E0EBAE18D (resized).jpeg688B1479-8775-4B73-AAC9-974E0EBAE18D (resized).jpegD73AF0C0-F2DD-45CF-987F-609237AB80A9 (resized).jpegD73AF0C0-F2DD-45CF-987F-609237AB80A9 (resized).jpegCC0BE8D4-1871-4B9A-94CE-ADC3347FC6A6 (resized).jpegCC0BE8D4-1871-4B9A-94CE-ADC3347FC6A6 (resized).jpeg

#7292 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

So nice. What number? I’m waiting patiently. Lol.

LV #25. But that number was specifically ordered from the get go to match the other LE’s in the collection. Super happy that little detail worked out.

#7372 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I’m getting about 9 out of 10 airlock ejects going straight down the middle. Is this a common problem and is it easily fixed?

Yes. And hopefully yes. Try first just decrease coil strength (or increase it). Assuming your playfield is level.

3 weeks later
#7899 1 year ago

Had such a great game last night. 168 million and won’t be beating that for a while. Was in a zone for sure. Felt like I actually knew how to play pinball. Seemed like I couldn’t miss intended shots - especially the upper playfield shots. This machine highly rewards skills with amazing flow and energy. I can’t say that about most machines. There’s just something really magical about those two upper playfield shots - especially when timed right… Worked my way through all alien modes and even won a couple, then to self destruct (has to be my favorite). Playing that wizard mode in the dark, by itself, with the flashers going off and the sound cranked - the best experience that pinball offers in my opinion! Made my way through all multiballs with a couple tremendously satisfying super jackpots. Then on to aliens modes where I drained the last two balls relatively quickly. This was first time I was actually even thinking about all out war. Someday that’ll happen. Someday.

2 weeks later
#8033 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

So, how reliable is PBB Alien LV?
I had money stashed for Toy Story, no way I'm buying that now.
Alien looks dope; how is the reliability? Similar to an AP, Spooky or JJP?

After what I’ve seen on pinside over past couple days, I’m thrilled with my past self for pulling trigger on the LV. PB will take care of you. There will be issues. Some small. Maybe big but less chance there. Put in a ticket and they’ll take care of it. The game is just so good. And rocks the theme perfectly. Good luck with your decision.

1 week later
#8145 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Is there a way to report people that constantly downvote my comments on here for no reason other than perhaps promote online bullying?
This childish behaviour need to stop.
Allow me to introduce to you all, my own and personal downvoter.[quoted image]

Some people use the down vote as disagree. Some use it as “I don’t like your comment”. Some people perceive it differently too. Don’t let it bug you. Keep posting. Lots of your comments are useful.

2 weeks later
#8424 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

not easy, sometimes rejects when you swear you made it, but feels really good when you make it.

… my favorite shot in all of pinball.

1 week later
#8606 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks .... did you purchase yours through coin taker as well?

I purchased my LV through Cointaker. Went smooth and communication was good.

1 week later
#8825 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

No problem...although I have an SV ... the LV's have that additional lighting, which may help ?

Yes, I believe this to be the case. I remember straining to see the ball at times on the previous HW version but the LV lighting is adequate enough for flipping at all times, even in full dark room (preferred). I don’t feel the need for additional lighting. But wouldn’t hesitate to get it if I did (speaking from experience on WOz 2.0 lighting).

2 months later
#10352 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

That f'ing hypersleep lock ramp is too hard to hit! If I could've gotten it more than once...

Sometimes I can hit that shot every time as intended, other times zippo. Back when no magnet on the OG, it was even harder and was then my favorite shot in pinball. Still is actually.

Agree with love/hate. Makes it fun.

A0CAA6D2-72E5-4700-B5A0-EC29B29C7BDD (resized).jpegA0CAA6D2-72E5-4700-B5A0-EC29B29C7BDD (resized).jpeg
#10357 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

That seems like it would be an easy and welcome upgrade. I second the motion!

Third! Thumbs up!

1 week later
#10602 1 year ago
Quoted from hollyw00d:

OK I love this game, but why oh why did they not think to put acid burn holes in the artwork or something like that so you can see below the damn return ramps into the outlanes? I hate how it's blind luck once the ball is in the outlane area. Is anyone working on alternative plastics for the ramp returns?[quoted image]

I actually like it this way. Makes for a different experience than other games. Just part of the uniqueness of this awesome machine.

2 weeks later
#10880 1 year ago

C’mon Pinside! This isn’t even a picture of the Alien LV. This is a Heighway version, and one of the worst shots LCD screenshots IMO. I know HW version is within the group, but the version ranked as #1 should be in the shot.
293DEC3C-900F-4085-AB02-BAF59BBBCFD1 (resized).png293DEC3C-900F-4085-AB02-BAF59BBBCFD1 (resized).png

#10881 1 year ago

#10913 1 year ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

Are people really that petty

Yes… oh well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdpinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=sdpinballer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.