b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13578 1 year ago

Just joined the club! Wondering about adjustments. I’ve already identified I need to lower the Mu-TH-Ur kickout (leads to drains most of the time), and need some adjustment on the xenomorph lock - the ball just does not stop on that magnet.

How about mods? I cleaned out Mezelmods, and I’m aware of the amazing apron - anything else I should be aware of ?

#13580 1 year ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Tons of stuff. The best mod probably is the Alien Apron from Evolution Mods. The tracker mod from Vimtoman, and the hypersleep chamber and airlock from Mageek are awesome. A bunch of us are putting mini beacons on and there is a Facehugger stasis mod as well. Get them all! Plus Cliffy has now made a set for this pin.

That’s what I was looking for! Thanks! I knew about the apron and Vimtoman’s tracker, but not the hypersleep chamber and airlock. Im just now seeing the mini beacons. Tons of stuff!

#13583 1 year ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

You should also drop the power on your main flippers 20% and raise the upper right flipper power 30%, that will help with shots. You will probably want to play around with the strength settings until it plays the way you like. Also you should activate 2 stage flippers if you have an LV and make sure you are running code 3.2 and firmware .71. Those two codes work nearly flawlessly. And it is very important to update the code correct. Go to PB site for instructions and follow them exactly.

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for!
Don’t have an LV, but are those games equipped with 2-stage flippers? That is a pretty significant difference between the gsmes. I assumed they were all the same. Code is up to date.

I have had a LOT of balls drain off the flippers - the ball returns to say the left flipper, and it will roll itself over the bat then just drain hard. Hopefully there is a fix for that

#13590 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

If it comes out of Muthur it should roll over the flipper into left inlane. If it doesn’t do that adjust left flipper until it does.

Adjust the upper left flipper, correct? I haven’t lifted the playfield to see how to adjust, but I’ll do that this evening

The lower left flipper is killing me, I have had (not a small number) of balls come down to the left flipper and roll ON TOP OF the flipper, and either drain or get weirdly stuck. The balls seem way too fast but sometimes a little floaty at the same time. I haven’t had a widebody in a while, so it’s probably just that.

Anyway just little adjustments will probably make this thing really hum

#13592 1 year ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Something’s not right. I’ve never had anything like that happen.

Glad to hear that, I didn’t want to assume it was some design flaw with the game

#13593 1 year ago

Also, I see the “LV Attract Mode” setting in the menu. What does that do differently ?

#13595 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

It changes the attract mode background image on the main monitor to match the LV backglass

Got it. I’ll have to look into that, I have the very Alien-1 specific backglass, which I quite like, except for the frickin lighting! There’s like NO ambient lighting in this game

Even when the xenomorph grabs the ball there’s no spotlights!! Hello! Lol

#13611 1 year ago

Added a whole bunch of MezelMods yesterday - what a difference! I do wish they were interactive with the game.. I may try adding some light sensors as triggers on inserts, especially for the backboard light and the hypersleep chamber, but they were well worth it. The ramp return mods (the name escapes me) are a huge level up as well.

#13619 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm kind of surprised no one has ever remade the Alien sculpt on the game to look more like this:
[quoted image]

I was having the exact same thought today. I know it's not an easy sculpt, but surely some enterprising 3D modeler could do it! The translucent carapace is the real challenge I would imagine

#13627 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Thanks for sharing all of this info. You really nailed it and so cool how you used that LED on the node board to trigger the mini Becans. I never would have thought of that.
Also... I'll be all over those PINNUNCIATOR pcbs when they are available.
Thinking....If going the DIY route I bet using one of these can eliminate the Arduino completely. Just need to wire normally closed then when the led goes out on the node board the mini Becans turn on.
amazon.com link »

I'm going to integrate a couple of those into the Mezelmods I just bought. Their designs are amazing and add a lot to the game, but I found the lack of game integration lacking a bit. I want the Hypersleep chamber mod to light up only when that lock is qualified, and make some changes to the backboard lighting and integrate that in with the GI.

It also drives me crazy there's no spotlight on the Xenomorph when it grabs the ball!

#13630 1 year ago
Quoted from Flips365:

I just found this, " PLEASE NOTE: You must update your game code for make your game works correctly with this FW."
Sorry, if you guys already saw this. I've been hunting for this for like a month. I will not make it as a detective...

Is there a new firmware released? Where did you see that message ?

#13637 1 year ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

My pet-peeve are any lighting that is "always on". I tie all mine,include the hypersleep mezel mod to the GI, so when the GI goes dark, so does the mod.

How did you integrate with the GI? I'm not that familar with the wiring on this game yet. What I'd really like to do is keep the main pod thing lit with the GI, and the hypersleep chamber itself tied to the insert. I think I may have to open up the mod, which may be messy... but I think that would be ideal.

#13639 1 year ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I prefer "standalone" mods that don't run the risk of frying boards. I used a photoresister as a trigger input to the logic level mosfet. I connected a pot from the gate to ground so I could adjust the trigger level (RGB leds are not as bright as cool-white leds). Just a simple light-detection switch. You could do the same from the insert for the sleep chamber.
It's a common switching circuit I use in a lot of my pins for GI or insert triggered mods.

Pretty much my exact plan. Nicely done! Sounds like you wired everything up from bare parts. I’m happy to pay the $6 to get a wired-up board with wire clamps and a mini-pot but this is even less expensive!

#13644 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunder22:

Side by side.
[quoted image]

Should be interesting to see both sides ! I just installed a backboard light - this game is such a fine line with the lighting. It should be fairly dark, but there are lots of areas with NO light whatsoever, but interesting artwork.

#13654 1 year ago

I read something about an upgraded Xeno board - not sure if it’s related to the apron, or part of the game. Anybody have details on this ?

#13656 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

A board that attaches to zeno and back to apron to fire beacon lights briefly when zeno jaw moves.

Got it! thank you

#13661 1 year ago

Question about the ball gate on the right inlane. Isn't that thing supposed to ONLY swing one way! I can't count the number of balls I've had that are going too fast and just jet right out of that gate and drain. I'm going to address it on my game, but I'm curious if everyone else's is the same?

#13664 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunder22:

I remedied this by adjusting the bumper rubber on the back side of the sling. Simply pull the rubber up to the top of the middle star post. What happens is the ball hits the metal gate then bounces into the rubber while the gate swings open from the force of the contact and it sneaks through.

I like that. Tackling this right now...

1 week later
#13783 1 year ago

Can someone clue me in on the process for ordering the staged flippers ? SE owner here and It is driving me crazy that I can’t shoot from the lower flippers without having the upper ones block shots (like backhanding the right ramp!!!)

#13789 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

checking in after some time off this thread...
What are the latest developments on this game, when I stopped looking some of these had issues with the shooter lane (multiple balls being ejected) and games would freeze when in attract mode.
Have these issues been solved in later code updates?

Just bought an Alien from another Pinsider a few weeks ago. In my experience this issue has not been solved. The game seems not to check if there’s a ball in the shooter lane, and will eject and fire multiple balls at times. Have not seen it freeze at all; I’ve left the game on for multiple days at a time.

Are there more code updates expected ? I’d love to see a couple of the bugs ironed out

#13808 1 year ago
Quoted from ToolfanJeff:

Late to the party, but had to pull the trigger on an LV. Incredible pin that I wish I had brought into the collection sooner. Like many of y’all said in earlier posts, not sure why this thing doesn’t get more positive recognition for the absolute beast that it is! My first wide body pin I’ve owned. Only a few games registered so far but everything was intact, connections under the playfield were good except for one that I had to re-seat. She’s running smooth right out the box. Can’t wait to dial this in more later tonight. Cheers![quoted image]

Good on you, the LVs are pretty awesome looking! I think this game is pretty well understood/rated on Pinside. It’s got PHENOMENAL theme integration, the audio package is awesome, and the code in general is very well done. there’s definitely some shot alignment issues and i personally think the left outlane is way too open; I have so many games where the ball goes across the playfield and there’s no chance to nudge it out; it’s just gone. But I keep coming back!

#13811 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It’s an ass kicker for sure. I use the upper left flipper to keep it away from the left lanes as much as possible. I also really wish the left lanes were not obstructed from view with the left ramp in the way. Oh well, it is still one of the best new games out there IMO. Different layout, shots, and feel, which is a good thing because I get tired of the same Stern feeling. I’ve had my share of Sterns.

100% agree. Fits in perfectly with my HWN, TZ, GZ, EHOH, MB and Weird Al/Heist. All super different layouts

I’ve been looking at the plastics that obscure the ball entrance to the in/outlanes. I wonder if I can scrape some of the art off so it’s easier to see…

#13817 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m back I’m sure it’s been brought up but what is this skull and crossbones emblem from ? Just wondering , it’s the first time I noticed it and I’m ashamed of myself
[quoted image][quoted image]

It’s painted on Hudson’s armor in the 2nd movie

#13854 1 year ago
Quoted from Hershy:

Some sort of "important" announcement is coming tomorrow from PB. their social media accounts put up a post today. Code drop perhaps?

Specifically about Alien?

EDIT: just checked. Yeah, I guess so. Hope it's a code drop! Then I just need a HALLOWEEN code update

#13882 12 months ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Well, that Alien day news from PB wasn’t very exciting. New code with some cool rule updates would be great. A $426 discount on a game I already bought, not so much. Hopefully it will at least motivate some to become LV owners.

Damn. Is Ferret still working with PB?

#13900 12 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Yep. I’m working on Queen.

Awesome! I’ll buy you a beer some time, you’re not too far from me

#13928 12 months ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I am on the latest firmware and code. I noticed that they recommended doing a factory reset after updating your code or firmware. So I tried that and the Alien has been working perfectly for about an hour now I am pretty sure that fixed it

I may try that too, mines been a little weird lately; not sure if it’s switches or just need a code clear out

#13939 12 months ago
Quoted from Crispin:

At 1st I loved the quick smooth motion of the tongue when upgraded, but for selfish reasons that's just less time my mini jaw gets seen while eating the ball.

I’m still just having a hard time understanding why there’s no spotlight on the xeno during the tongue

#13941 12 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Not needed. What was missing was strobes. Additionally, there's a few variations of what happens in the game when it happens. One of those is a 'cut the power' sequence where most all the lights go out while it grabs the ball.

Just ONE light for a little creepy shadow effect would be great. I agree on the strobes. My game has the Mezel backboard light, and i turned it way down so the LEDs flicker and it gives this great unsettling effect. Not interactive though

I must have seen the “cut the power” effect more than the others - I think that’s all I’ve seen

#13946 11 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I just started tinkering with random settings this week to change gameplay up a bit .This was not to make progression easier , but rather fine tuning of coil strengths to see if I could gain a advantage anywhere to get back to the elusive All Out War .I’ve got to it twice and both times seem long ago .I’ve had my mother eject at a lower % from the start as was suggested from a few people ,but I chose to go the other direction this time .I think I settled at +15% from default and with the ball ejecting quicker ,I’m hitting the right ramp and vent 2 with far more accuracy and mostly using a “slap”for the latter .I’m still on the fence with the upper right flipper power .It seems the sweet spot is having just enough power to get up the side ramp but having a hard time settling on a % lowered .I’m at -15% from default now and has been working pretty well .

I need to do this on my machine as well; the coil strengths seem to be all over the place. I reset to defaults but upped the flipper power a bit - there's just something weird about these flippers. I turned down my right sling because any time a ball hits it, it is INSTANT death, nudging seems not to make a bit of difference. It's helped with the drains but the sling is kind pathetic now lol!

I don't know exactly what my pitch is, but I have the back legs almost all the way up (my floor has a downward slope); I would guess it's around 6.6 / 6.7. This has helped with the crazy drains a bit tooo

#13948 11 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

If your all the way up on the back legs , it’s more than a 6.7 .I went as high a pitch as could go at first but have since settled a bit lower . I just go by feel so have no idea what pitch I’m at .I originally lowered the power on the slings but that was no fun .I love the ball rocketing off them with the face huggers looking like they’re going to break through the glass onto my face lmao .That’s what is so great about owning these things , you can do whatever you want .I normally will completely change a games settings around when the pin starts to feel “stale”.I get a whole new game experience this way ,I just have not even come close to that feeling with Alien yet .My suggestion is keep making adjustments by 5% increments until you get where you want to be with all the coils and if you can’t find the flipper feel your looking for ,I’d try the precision flippers as those installing them on JJPs and Alien have raved at how they changed the game for them .

I think it’s really about 6.7, my room slopes and the back legs are sitting on floor that is lower than the front legs

You’ve got me thinking, maybe I should make the slings MORE powerful. It’s kind of lame when they’re weak, as you said, but it’s also no fun when every single hit to the sling results in a drain. Maybe that would cause the ball to hit in a different way and not get sucked into the inlane
every time

3 weeks later
#14078 11 months ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Add one to the "had a Heighway version and sold it due to its instability/reliability but couldn't stay away from this game since it's so fun and had to acquire a Pinball Brothers version" group.
I miss the amp that was in the Heighway version--I'm going to have to do something to bring back the amazing sound. It's ok now, but what's the go-to solution for optimal sound on Alien? I have a powered subwoofer I could use but available outlet space nearby is low. I feel like this LCD screen looks sharper than Heighway's main screen and I really don't miss the playfield screen. Mine was super scratched up and probably needed mylar or something like that from the start.
I'm sure this has been asked a lot but are there any coil strength recommendations? I played the game several times at default settings, and bumped up the pop bumpers slightly, the main flippers 25% and the upper flippers maybe 10%, turned LED brightness all the way up which helps slightly for the playfield darkness. I read a few key posts and the past 20+ pages here to try to get up to speed on stuff. My drop targets were resetting only occasionally, but a key post showed that is solved by moving wires away from the coils--so that seems fixed.
Game play-wise, I missed having this game. Tell me a better mode combo for creating a mood than Ambush multiball and Sentry Gun (whatever that mode is called). I've been over on the Halloween thread from the start telling those guys to look at Alien when trying to create immersive modes. I think they have an Alien now too.

I have a HWN and love it, but you are absolutely right about the Alien modes being so immersive. And they are fast to get you immersed, it’s quite impressive. Alien is a relatively slow movie as is Halloween, but the approaches taken for the games vary dramatically. Hope they took you up on your suggestion!

#14109 11 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

This.
It was a deliberate choice of the design team not to say "Jackpot" to the player -- part of the immersion of the game. There are other audio/video/lighting cues to let you know that you've done something good.

That’s absolutely badass. Those are some of the real creative touches that set this game apart

#14111 11 months ago

Curious if anybody has made adjustments on the pops? Mine just … I’m lucky if I get ONE hit off the group. I’ve adjusted the spoons but I’m thinking I may need to increase the power; just curious if there’s something I’m overlooking

#14118 10 months ago
Quoted from Hershmeister:

I found that my leaf switches were the issue - not power levels. I did bump the power up to 20%, but the key is ensuring the leaf contacts are as close as possible without just going off randomly.

Thanks for that - I have adjusted the pops to make sure the spoon and stick are aligned but did not think to check the leaf switches. And as luck would have it, I just found a random leaf adjustment tool in the bottom of a bag…

1 week later
#14151 10 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

Also, I have tried to warn many times in here about using USB ports for LED strips... always with responses from other people stating that there is nothing wrong with doing this. I say again... don't use USB ports for LED strips. Even if it appears to work, it just isn't worth it. Do it the right way.

Is this something particular to the Alien game or PC motherboard USB in general?

#14166 10 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

It can be an ass kicker if your shots are not dialed in .I have ours pitched pretty steep .Finishing modes is where the scoring is .This game is so much fun to play and the most immersive pin I’ve ever owned by far .

Is there a post(a) which outlines changes to make to the game? Mine is just a clunk fest, instant drains. I did boost the pops by about 30% which has finally made them come to life

#14169 10 months ago

Thanks guys; I think I’m around 6.6, will try to bring it up higher

#14172 10 months ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Are your drains sling related? If so increase sling strength to give yourself a little more lift.

Yep I’m cursed by the slings LOL. I’ve been hesitant to change power on coils for games in the past but I think this is what a lot of people are going for as far as dialing in this game. Happy to try different stuff! I did try lowering the sling strength but that just made them kind of pathetic (and still lots of out-of-nowhere drains!)

#14176 10 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I’m guessing that a lot of owners don’t realize that the outlane star posts are adjustable. The hole for the post is slotted but the slot is hidden under the post in the full open postiion. There is about a 1/4” of adjustment that makes a big difference.

Well hell, I did not realize that. I'll take a look. Definitely increasing the coil power though.

#14177 10 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Proactive nudging. Works on all games.

And this game too, of course. But when almost EVERY sling hit turns into an unsaveable drain, it's too much. I think the lame slings may be the issue

1 week later
#14202 10 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Looking into Alien as a possible new pin. Is the upcharge on the LV worth it over the SV? Thanks for any feedback.

The game is exactly the same - but you do get the LV backglass art and color scheme, plus the beacons. It does look better IMO , but it’s kind of your own circumstances that dictate your decision

1 week later
#14273 10 months ago
Quoted from calprog:

Finally finished most of my Alien LV updates! This is an early LV 029. It took a lot of work to get it right. Over 6 months. I replaced all the main components on the game. This includes the main screen, mini screen, APC bank, trough all the main computer boxes, wires, etc. They came out with a lot of revisions on parts that are working fine. Springs break a lot. I also had a couple rubbers break. I have just over 1000 games started. It’s my go to game. Playfield is holding up well. Some ball marks however no chipping at all including the upper right post! The game has some really cool mods as you can see in the pictures. Overall, it’s a really great game a lot different than your Sterns or Jersey Jack games and a lot of fun to play. Very challenging to say the least. The only thing that I’m going to do is replace the flippers With the holographic brand and see if this helps with flip or action. The game flips a little weird and I need a little stronger, feel in the flippers. If you do pursue an If you do pursue an alien game, I would either buy a new one or a later model from Pinball brothers. They worked out most of the bugs, and I was one of the testers. Lol. Overall a recommend!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful looking game. 1000% agree on the flippers; they seem 'off'. They are IRL what people imagined Multimorphic's flippers feel like (which feel fine). I do think there is a loss of energy transition to the cabinet that you feel on a Stern/AP game - you can really feel those flippers fire. My OG Monster Bash feels closer to the Multimorphic flippers, and Alien still feels wimpier (even though they really aren't).

I'm curious about the holographic brand flippers?

4 weeks later
#14418 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Cruiser:I'm very interested in an Alien machine, but I've noticed recently there are about 15 for sale on Pinside both standard and limited versions. I think these machines have never sold that many units, so why are people selling them? Any thoughts?

I’m selling mine. It’s just time. The game is awesome, the immersion (especially the audio) is incredible. Alien’s a top theme in my house. But I don’t have unlimited space

2 weeks later
#14487 8 months ago
Quoted from Flips365:

Sorry, if mentioned before, I'm just showing up today 8-11-2023. Our glass fell onto the playfield day one as we were sliding it down to check out the playfield and the underside. We got a new cabinet sent to us. Now the second one that we have had for some time now is doing the same thing. Obviously the separation is the problem. It doesn't seem so bad, but tell that to the glass falling out. Anyone else seen this?

I’m not understanding your issue. The separation isn’t great, of course - but what’s going on with the glass?

#14496 8 months ago
Quoted from Flips365:

The glass isn't being supported by the cabinet as it is not as wide as the cabinet. The joints that are separating have made the cabinet just wide enough so that the glass no longer fits in place.

Oh damn. Now I get it. How in the hell could that possibly happen? I mean the separation isn’t the best thing in the world but it’s not that wide. That glass just isn’t cut correctly. How is that even possible?

I’m assuming you’ve measured the width..?

2 weeks later
#14605 8 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I was told by him that this is not the case and that there are differences. The beacons he sells with his kit spin and flash. And the stock beacons wont allow for additional lighting shows with his add on.
Edit - I guess that doesnt matter if you arent getting his mod...

There are actual physically spinning beacons on aliexpress/amazon still - they run on 12V and can be activated via a board with a light sensor diode on an insert. Not plug and play, but not really that difficult either. Works great on mine, and you don't really have to plug into anything on the game

#14607 8 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

the actual wiring output for the beacons in the SV/LV is now known, you just need to have 12vdc beacons and that wiring output information. Make a cable, plug it in and go for it. SV acting like an LV with no mods needed.

Even better! Is that marked as a key post?

#14610 8 months ago
Quoted from Mageek:

12V Beacons Plug in here and are activated as intended in the code. Left two pins ( - on top, + on bottom) of Middle connector on black box on the bottom left of cab.. [quoted image]

NIIIICE! I wonder if I have a molex that will fit that.

3 weeks later
#14808 7 months ago

this and better coil management, implementing end of stroke switches for a better flipper feel would be nice too. I would take the coil and EOS update vs the black screen though lol...

I gotta say I agree with this. I have a P3 and Alien right next to one another. I think the P3 flippers are totally fine - but they DO feel different than a Stern or Bally game. The Alien flippers feel just terrible! There's no tactile feedback whatsoever. 100% agree on EOS implementation being a huge improvement

#14818 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Its interesting that people say this. I have zero problems with the flippers on Alien..

Really? Maybe I do need to increase the power a bit more

#14911 6 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I was almost wondering if the ball is hopping over the gate. Seems it is low to the playfield..

I'm following up on the ongoing discussion of the idiotically designed one-way gate in the right inlane - after trying every suggestion other Pinsiders had in this thread.

What is happening (at least on my game) is pretty much what everyone's saying: that the ball hits the gate, pushes the gate's retaining arm against the metal part of the gate bracket, and causes it to bounce back up high enough that the ball (which has recoiled back against the rubber on the rear of the sling) can now rocket forward again, right at the moment the gate is at its highest. Confirmed with a slow-mo video on the phone.

I was going to try bending the gate to make that retaining arm longer, and allowing the plastic above to stop the reverse motion of the gate... and I broke the GD gate wire. I am almost 100% sure this will work, as it should not allow the metal-against-metal bouncing motion and should arrest the gate in place.

So. next question: how do I buy a new gate from PB? I'm not going to go get a bunch of piano wire and bend one if I can get a replacement for $5

#14924 6 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

this is definately a cheat, but if you move the rubber up over the "holder goove" the recoil back to the gate is reduced substantially and the recoil through the gate is all but eliminated... it drove me nuts as well until i did this.

I did this as well, someone suggested it a while back. It’s definitely less, but maybe there is (was!) something wrong with the wire shape. Now that I broke it, I’ll have to start over.

#14935 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm not sure I've ever had the issue you all are describing? Are you saying the ball bounces up from the flipper all the way and goes backwards through the gate on the right side?

Yes, basically every fast ball that I pass to the left then back to the right will run back up the outlane and exit the gate when it hits. Happens on fast returns from Vent 2 also. Really kills the game for me.

#14936 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

If you push on the gate with your finger does it actually only go one way?

Yes. What’s happening is the gate opens from the ball going through, and when the gate comes back down to close, it bounces up again from hitting the bracket (or the post) and opens AGAIN. the ball has at this point now bounced against the back of the sling and is heading directly back to the gate. The gate has reopened exactly at the moment the ball is returning and it sails right though.

PB brothers is sending me a replacement wire, and I am going to look into whether I can extend the little arm so it strikes the plastic above sooner, and hopefully not allow it to bounce back open. I’ll also be trying to weigh the gate down so it is less inclined to open a second time

#14940 6 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Id assume if the issue is stemming from the ball hitting the backside sling rubber and going though the gate, perhaps something can be made to cover that rubber on the inlane side?

Some folks have suggested pulling up the sling rubber just on the rear, so the ball doesn't bounce so strongly back. But the real issue is the gate itself bouncing up all over the place.

#14943 6 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

im thinking small spring to the bent peice on the arm above the plastic... gonna see whats what with that.

I got my new wire in the mail today so I'm going to install that then try to think of some options. First I'll try making the retaining arm *longer*, then maybe something to make the wire itself hang lower so it blocks the ball better.

I'm also going to try something to make the gate come down *slower* so it doesn't have as much force to bounce back up

#14944 6 months ago

Ok… 100% success rate.

I’m not loving how it looks, and it’s probably a few too many pieces (maybe I’ll remove the nut) but it works.

Having said that, after playing a few games, it does make the ball save pretty much impossible on a slower ball. I’m not sure I’m convinced this is the right fix, but it may be worth the loss of the ball save for me - I wasn’t very good at getting it anyway.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#14946 6 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Yes, that was my worry about weighing it down, that it wouldnt work as intended... But good try!

Works fine for vent 2, it’s just the IJ ball save. I’m not giving up

#14967 6 months ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Two things about the gate and outlane ball-save
The stock one-way gate is a simple square shape, the ball coming down the 'vent' is coming on an angle, often the side of the gate will rub against the bracket and slows the gate down. The solution here is to bend the wire into a 'W' shape. Not only does the gate close slightly quicker but the wire cant be pushed into the bracket.
The outlane ball-save is impossible with the stock rubber post, on my game it didnt stick out past the metal guides at all. I suggest replacing with a tapered rubber that extends just past the edge of the metal ball guides, this gives you a fair chance of a nudge-save, or a friendly bounce-in if the ball gets rejected by the gate.
Hope that helps!

Interesting. I’m hesitant to bend the replacement wire I got, lest I break it again - but I can definitely try replacing that rubber. Are you talking a tapered rubber like the yellow flowerpot shaped ones on Williams games? I may have one of those somewhere

I wonder if I can put a tiny spacer on the end of the wire which will effect the same change as bending it. I have some time today, will try it.

#14968 6 months ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Wanted to show my one way wire gate that some people have had problems with. I've never had any problems with it.[quoted image]

Looks pretty much like mine! Can’t explain why some of us have such challenges. I was going to blame it on the southern hemisphere ( ) but I know punkin has the same issue

#14983 6 months ago

So I spent some time this week putting together some 12V beacon connections, and I got it all wired up this afternoon. They look great! I printed some nice bases for them (kinda look like they could sit on high speed if they were blue and red)

Anyway, I wired and connected them- and they work! ALL. THE. TIME. For some reason I thought the game turned them on and off? I’m going to add a light detection opto switch to activate them if I have to - I just thought it was already programmed into the game - did I miss something, or are they not controlled in the game? (I have an SV)

#14989 6 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Post some pics of your assembly and plugs please. What beacons did you end up going with?

Will do! I’ll have to dig out the specific beacons - got them on Amazon; 12V real rotating ones.

Both are wired in parallel to the 4 pin Molex connector on that black box in the cabinet.

#14990 6 months ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Make sure you have at least .57 firmware

I believe I’m on 0.71

#14992 6 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I wired a beacon into my sv and it works perfectly with the game code. Maybe post pics of what you did. I didn’t use any sensors, just plugged directly into the middle 4 pin port in the lower cabinet.

Thanks for confirming - It's a pretty simple wiring job - 2 wires into the left top/bottom pins on the connector. I then go to a splitter to each of the beacons. Couldn't be simpler. I'll grab a photo -

#14993 6 months ago

Photos of the plug and where it’s plugged into. And the split going to each beacon . I triple checked the wiring is all lined up pos/neg all the way through

IMG_6739 (resized).jpegIMG_6739 (resized).jpegIMG_6740 (resized).jpegIMG_6740 (resized).jpegIMG_6741 (resized).jpegIMG_6741 (resized).jpeg

#14995 6 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Wrong port. It’s the middle one. Move it over one to the right. I believe you might be plugged into the shaker port.

Damn! Thanks a bunch. Good thing I didn’t kill them LOL

#15007 6 months ago
Quoted from Lippy427:

Your gate is on back to front!
Remove the wire, flip it 180 degrees and re-insert it. then flip the bracket 180 and re attach.
Mine came like in your picture and I had problems with balls bouncing back through the gate (and even coming off the ramp and then going through the gate into the outlane). Swapping it round has fixed these issue.

I don’t think so - PB support confirmed that the bent arm is to face the back of the machine, and the straight arm faces the player. I did attempt to reverse it and I got basically the same results. At this point I have tried:

- reversing the wire gate
- lifting the rubber off the post in the rear of the sling
- weighing down the gate with washers
- a rubber on the gate post facing the player, which keeps the gate from opening too far (restraining it so that on subsequent bounces it has a smaller chance of opening far enough for the ball)
- bending the wire into a “W” shape

None of these has worked well enough to keep the ball from improper drains while also allowing the ball save to work.

Right now I have the extra rubber on there, which works to avoid the improper drains but it makes the ball save impossible.

I noticed when slowing down a video that even if the gate isn’t opened enough for the ball to pas through, the ball will push it open further just by rolling against it, and since both the ball and the wire are round, there is very little friction so it happens a lot

I’m going to see if I can clip a flat piece of plastic to the bottom of the gate just large enough to press against the ball when the gate opens, so at least it may prevent it from rolling through. Running out of ideas here

#15022 6 months ago
Quoted from Lippy427:

Yes, the wire is in the correct orientation (maybe I didn't explain it very well)- it's the bracket that needs turning 180 so that the wire is nearer to the outlane like this
[quoted image]

Oh! I’m sorry, I misunderstood. So rotate the bracket such that the screw hole with the open end faces to the back of the machine? I have NOT tried this.

#15023 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Is it common that a strong shot to the left orbit will loop around and go SDTM from the right orbit lane? Have seen is several times now whenever I hit the ball strongly up that left orbit.

This is one of the few things I don’t get infuriating drains on. Maybe check your L-R level?

#15024 6 months ago
Quoted from Lippy427:I also bent the 'non return tab' down a little so that the gate is 'lifted very slightly (as in the picture) this seems to reduce the amount of rebound when the gate comes back down. Don't think I've lost a ball going back through the gate since I did this

Fascinating. Let’s give this a try

#15299 6 months ago

Has anything been indicated as far as timeline? Ie code release or when the new game version will be released

#15349 6 months ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

My wallet prays for a dumb topper.

This cracked me up

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15359 6 months ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I predict bay doors that open to reveal the Alien queen. It will accommodate all models, with room for the beacons on the LV.
If that’s the case, I’ll order it, shit, cry, and then rejoice.

Haha. Kinda like the EHOH topper but hopefully this one, you know.. opens every once in a while! Lol

#15402 6 months ago

Did they already release the full price of the topper and I missed it? $200 looks like just the deposit

Pretty interesting integration with the Queen and the beacons

#15447 6 months ago

Where can you order the beacon lights?

I got mine off eBay. Make sure they are 12V, and find the ones with the actual rotating motor. Cost me about $50 IIRC

#15450 6 months ago

What key search should I put in? Alien pinball beacon lights? I did that search and no results. Thank you so much.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/300#post-7802965

Note that my photos are plugged into the WRONG port in those photos. You want to go one further back (I think it’s in the middle). Someone corrected me a few posts below

#15711 6 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I did. And I didn't even need a martini.
On an unrelated note, how the hell do you make THIS shot? I don't think I've made it once but I'm guessing it's off the upper left flipper. Is my alignment correct?

I’m not sure if this is correct, as I am terrible at this shot, but I always cradle the ball in the lower left flipper and hit that target at the rear of the lane. This activates the magnet where the ball should stop momentarily, allowing you to use the upper right flipper to hit the sleep chamber ramp or vent 3 or whatever. But man it is hard.

#15736 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The problem is finding a good place to put it. I think someone early on did put a tablet on the apron, but I didn't like how that looked.
I had the thought of making an actual motion tracker sculpt that hangs out somewhere off the left ramp but I think it would still block too much of the pf.
If someone wanted to really recreate it they could buy a pf, cut the hole, put a screen in and re clear...but man that's a lot of work.

I’ve done this on WOZ too (until they made a change in the code which made it difficult to get the resolution correct). It was great on that game -
Would make a lot of sense on Alien, at least on the Ambush MB, as has been pointed out. I know I have an extra 5” screen in the workshop, I may try this out.

Linux based systems are a little harder to get multiple screens working - usually there is some code or config, or driver that needs to be updated - but it’s worth a shot.

#15745 6 months ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Hate to be “that guy”, but all those questions have been answered in just the past 4-5 pages of this thread.
Short answer: Newer builds (including mine) have zero to minimal issues. Customer service is excellent, much better than most other manufacturers. There are new custom sculpts on the Ripley that are not on the standard or LV. The LV has bling that neither other version has though.
Just buy it. It’s an excellent game and the best NIB value out there now.

I think my game is a “middle of the cycle” build. I’ve had issues, and continue to have a couple I am working on - but I can say the support has been VERY easy. New part? Done. Realignment? Got you. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble. Do PLAY the game . A. LOT. Before you buy - it’s not a Stern/JJP/Williams/Bally game layout. Issues? No. “Weird” layout? Yes. Hard shots? Yes. Game hits all the feels though.

#15769 6 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Hmmnnn, I dont recall that from the first movie...

Definitely there, but quite hard to see in the finished film

#15808 6 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

I thought when he said Queen Studio Alien, he was saying "illegal alien" and signed up?

I saw somewhere that Bill Paxton improvised that line because Jeannette Goldstein came to her audition thinking it WAS about illegal aliens and had on some kind of outfit to match

#15819 6 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I have been having a problem with air balls from the right ramp, to the point where almost every shot was flying off. I found that if you add some washers to act as spacers to move the wire form upward, and then adjust the metal wireform to allow only slight clearance from the top of the metal reverso ramp, solves the problem. Didnt have one airball after this.
Just in case anyone else was having issues with balls flying off that wireform.

Good idea, I'll try that - it's a step up from my janky washers weighing down the gate

3 weeks later
#16272 5 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:shitty picture, but hey.. thank you KJS... recieved today from "down under".
[quoted image]

Does that say “request cassettes of Alien_Pinball_Framework”?

#16397 4 months ago
Quoted from driph:Airlock beacon mod complete!
Beacons flash when the ball is in the airlock and stop once it ejects.

Leaned on previous posts by Zablon and PersonX99 for the execution. Mod consists of RC beacons, 3D printed mount, and a photoresistor relay pointing at the airlock scoop LED below the playfield. I'll toss the STL of the mount online if anyone wants to use it for your own mod.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Really nice! Just bought my own mini beacons, so I for one would appreciate that STL!

#16400 4 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Yes, but only sometimes? Here’s an odd response from PB.
[quoted image]

That looks like a “we answered this a million times and now we don’t really know what people are asking” type of answer

#16405 4 months ago
Quoted from driph:

I'll put together a proper blog post eventually, but here's a link to the Tinkercad project. I designed the mount to have the same sort of vibe as the ceiling pattern of the Nostromo where similar beacons were flashing and to give interesting light reflections, but feel free to remix it as you'd like!

I appreciate you mentioning the ceiling pattern- I knew I’d seen it before and it sure looks “in-universe” but I couldn’t put my finger on it. Well done

#16462 4 months ago
Quoted from djsolzs:Everyone keeps saying this but has this been mentioned by PB?

They confirmed at some point that it would apply to all games. It's not a Stern Premium/Pro/LE situation where the software checks

#16468 4 months ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Thanks I saw that - just not confirmation that it would be released when machines were being shipped.

Aah gotcha - not sure if that part was confirmed. But it sounds like next week is a possibility!

#16481 4 months ago

Is the Code available to download?

PB posted on Facebook it should be late this week

#16578 4 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

no delta.. 4.0 straight is what i have.

No, you downloaded the Delta. They don't have a full version

#16579 4 months ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

I have always struggled with this. I decided to try a higher flipper strength...I went to +20% just yesterday and I immediately started hitting it so much more consistently I was a bit shocked. Just my data point and what worked for my set up. I would suggest playing around a bit. It's such an important shot (Hypersleep MB and Extra Ball). I have seen others swear going lower worked better. As stated before, definitely check your flipper alignment too.
Also....just a FYI for all...I changed the left scoop eject to -25% and it's kicking out so much more smoothly to the left side flipper now so i can control that shot much better. On default it would bounce around a bit.
I'm playing on the new 4.0 code. PB managed to make an amazing game even better.

I also put mine up higher (I have an SV). Up 25 or 30% I think. Definite massive improvement. I was getting tons of great shots just ALMOST making it to the top of the ramp... and then coming back down again.

#16590 4 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Not a delta to be seen.. so i dont really know.[quoted image]

“Delta” means a release that’s just an update of the code applied to the existing code. Most Stern releases are a Delta release - compare that to the full release that’s the full “SD Card” download. Not that it says Delta somewhere on the release

#16601 4 months ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Try giving the contacts a cleaning. Place a business card or other heavy paper between the contacts and hold them close while you remove the card. This helped my bumpers be more responsive.

Damn it! I always forget to do this on new games. My pops are junk, and I’ve adjusted them but forgot to clean the contacts

#16781 4 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ahhh, I could do that also. Thanks.
Which dremel bit did you find best for smoothing metal?

The regular sandpaper one works best, but you can also use the grinder

#16807 4 months ago
Quoted from Threetreys:

OK, have not played a ton of 4.0 but so far never had a black screen again on start-up and have not seen any issues. In fact everything seems to be running better than ever. Obviously, can't wait for 4.1 but I have not had issues others are seeing which is weird. Love all the new stuff.
How about that secret wizard mode where the Xenomorph fights Predator - didn't see that coming! How did they get the assets for that?! And then the mini-wizard mode where Gandalf hits the Xeno with his sword and gets sprayed with acid - I nearly had a heart attack! And then Ripley/Dana fighting Slimer in Hogwarts! Are you kidding me? Great stuff.
Wait a minute . . . those mushrooms looked kinda funny on that pizza I ordered . . . kindly disregard post. (but black screen is gone and game seems to be running great)

Almost got me!

#16814 4 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

Is there a way to easily disconnect the LED lights around the LCD screen inside the backbox?

Are you trying to make sure the translite isn't lit at all? Let us know how that looks

#16853 4 months ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Yes it is. I am on 4.0 and not one issue. Only played about 10 games so far. New shout outs for sure.

Yep, same on my SV

#16857 4 months ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:Fav new shout out you have heard on 4.0??

I will report back! I haven't played as much Alien since the code released because I just got FR in the mail and it is a "one more game" magnet!

#16882 4 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Anyone know if a vendor is selling replacement spinner decals for this pin? Not available on parts website and i had a spinner fall apart.. Thank you.

Log a support ticket. They don’t list most parts on the site but they still have them in stock.

#16884 4 months ago
Quoted from Deez:

Alien is officially my new favorite game of all time. I just can't get enough of it. The new code with Ripley just brings the game over the top. I didn't realize how much content was missing with the old clips by trying to just not have her in there. It's like a whole new game.
I can't stop playing it. Definitely glad I stuck if out after all the issues I had early on. Game seems rock solid now. Thanks PB Bros!

I really want to love this game! But I am not having the same experience as you. It's just 'brick--> DRAIN!' every time I touch a flipper button. Would love to fix that. My game is like the antidote to flow.

#16886 4 months ago
Quoted from dts:

That's strange. Mine screams with a little wax, and is not at all a brick and drainfest. I do set my games up at maximal incline, maybe there is a sweet spot.

I'm all ears. I'm not trying to dump on the game, but it is absolutely a frustrating nightmare to play. Next to my EHOH, Godzilla, Final Resistance, it is really a challenge not to smash the glass sometimes!

#16892 4 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Sounds like something is off. It should feel smooth and be satisfying to shoot. I love how it flows compared to other wide bodies.

I agree. I wish I could figure out what it is.

#16893 4 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The game isn't clunky. You are comparing it to narrow body, but wide open 'easy' shot games. It takes time to learn the different geometry of this game versus Stern games. Just takes some adjusting especially if you are bouncing between the different games. Most Sterns play the same - even between the different designers. It very well could be it's not for you because of that though.
Watch the video I posted a few months back. That was a quick 10 minute game and I suck at pinball, but you can see how smooth and easy this game is.

You may be right, but it’s not as though I’m new to wide bodies. I have a TZ and have owned STTNG, POTC (boy do I regret selling that one), WOZ, IJ, Hobbit. My Alien plays like a poorly leveled WOZ.

Anyway like I said I’m not dumping on it, but I’d really prefer to get the experience you guys are having! Level is at about 6.5, maybe I will try steeper.

#16907 4 months ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I have mine at 6.7°
Here are some things to look at
1) Be sure to adjust the spinners so that they are vertical at rest and spin easily or they will brick
2) Ensure the right orbit takes the ball to the right flipper, if not you may need to adjust the ball guide and make sure the ball is not hitting target 5 and deflecting coming out of the orbit
3) Scoop should smoothly send the ball to the left flipper, lower the coil power or follow PB adjustment procedure if not.
4) Try different coil setting for upper right flipper to help dial in your hypersleep shot

This is EXCELLENT feedback. Thank you for these suggestions!

The spinners are definitely bricking, now that I think about it. That is a huge issue especially with modes where I need to get to the pops.

I think I'm good on the right orbit --> flipper
Scoop is intermittent - i may reduce the coil power.

Hypersleep shot: I bumped up the coil power quite a bit; that seems to be better now. before I was rarely able to make it up the ramp.

Thanks to the others who offered additional suggestions too

#16949 4 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Updated the mini beacon mod to the slightly larger beacons. Originally I had the ax-511 now using the ax-510.
Used the awesome beacon holder driph made available and just made the holes on the ends bigger. [quoted image]

That reminds me I need to add these little beacons. They arrived the other day, I have to get that STL!

#16983 4 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Testing and machine oil on the pivots and the PB spinner would never sit vertical consistently. Wasn’t like it was binding in the frame either it was loose.
Both spinners had the exact same behavior.
Stern spinners act perfectly. If some owners can’t get their spinners to act properly, it is just a heads up that the Stern setup can be used in its place.

I’m -this- close to doing this on mine; I just can not figure out how to get these crazy ass spinners to settle. If they do land in a spot where they don’t brick, they are vertical enough that the ball just passes right through! I am trying some silicone lube next and then I’m ripping them out. Would love confirmation that the Stern spinners are the right height

#16987 4 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

They have to be the correct height. They just drop right into place of the PB spinner.
PB and Stern use the same size standard pinball.
The only difference was the width of the bracket but the spinner itself is the same size.

I’m not quite understanding what you mean - but it’s easy to find a Stern spinner. I’ll see what I can do…

#16988 4 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

No problems with my spinners. My machine is one of the first 20 made. Was some change made to the spinners since then?

Ok. I have no idea if a change was made, but: it Do your spinners brick the ball even when you have a perfectly centered shot? Do your spinners stop perfectly parallel to the playfield so the ball just passes under without touching it or triggering the switch? No? Then let’s assume the QC has fallen after the first 20 machines.

#16991 4 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

Yes, the answer is no.... The ball always hits the spinners, never goes under, and spinner spins freely. Like I said, I did have a problem similar to what you are mentioning with my right spinner. When I first got the machine and I had to adjust it by slightly by bending the rod that holds the spinner and since then it has been flawless for over 2 years now.

Thank you! Ordering now

#17019 3 months ago
Quoted from Dano:

I'm having an issue with the new update. I'm on 3.2 and .71 FW and I've tried both download links in both USB ports and it won't take. It recognizes the stick, says it completes the download and it's stuck on 3.2 even if I power cycle it. I've used this stick before and was quick and easy but this one is giving me issues. Any suggestions?

The upgrade doesn’t install unless you go into the menu, it’s not automatic like most other games. Make sure you follow the directions on the PB site. Sounds like your stick is being recognised, so you shouldn’t need to replace it

#17099 3 months ago
Quoted from Kabball:

My bumpers were annoying on destroy egg missions. I inspected the leaf switches and they seemed very close but I tried closing them up a bit more anyhow. I can still have balls roll right through from the upper lanes without triggering a single one. Especially entering from the upper left lane. I always work the machine as it enters the eggs

Check that your spoons have the tip of the pop skirt right in the middle. If you shine a light from on top of the playfield down through the pop bumper holes it’s a lot easier to see how that skirt lines up. And make your switches even closer together. Dont forget the business card cleaning on the switch tips

#17138 3 months ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I installed the staged flippers on my SV and everything works except the activation is backwards for me. The upper flipper activates on first contact and then the lower on second. Backwards. PB wants me to send them videos of this and people on here say I just need to switch the wiring on the switches. For now I have just disabled it until confirmation from PB. Those asking about the switches, just get them from PB, otherwise people on here have said to replace the weak push back switches with some Stern switches.

Did you order from the parts website or through support? every time I check the parts site it’s barren.

#17140 3 months ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I got mine through support because my original switches were faulty and mounted poorly.

How about the dual stage flippers? I’d like to ad these and EOS to my game

#17143 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Can you add EOS switches to the games? Do the new versions have EOS switches installed?

I assumed that’s what he meant by the switches; maybe I misunderstood

1 week later
#17206 3 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

This is an odd problem as it is a major and glaring game breaking bug for a location game, been an issue since inception, and still unresolved. I just deleted a massive wall of text to spare you about my journey and thoughts on what is going on. Instead here is my "chump attempting to operate this game" wishlist.
Fix the black screen in bootup. If it requires a new updated version of the controller box I swear to christ I won't tell anybody that it exists and that you gave it to me.
Make a DBA harness for your hardware.
Fix the coin audits which are wildly inaccurate.
If I didn't love this game so goddamned much I would have curbed it about a month after receiving. Included in my rant was a kudos for sending me a new controller box and set of cables which did not help so there is at least that.

The black screen thing is an intermittent issue, right? It's not like it's permanently black.

I've never seen this on my game, so i'm curious if it's just an issue with a bad cable or something. I'm sure you've done this, but I'll ask: Have you tried unplugging the HDMI cable and re-connecting it after the game has already booted?

#17210 3 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's a real thing. Many people have the issue. As you say though, it's not permanent, just shutting it off and turning it back on usually clears it. It might take 2-3 times though. I am not clear on how that would be a problem once it's on (for operations) as I've never had that issue during gameplay. It's just an annoyance when turning it on.
I think it might be hardware related though. It 'could' be a bad batch of cables issue, but I thought PB said they knew what the issue was and had fixed it. They have not. I hadn't seen it in ages on 2.8, but when I went to 4.0 I immediately got it a few times in a row.

It really sounds like an HDMI handshake issue, which can be a bad cable, can be a good cable inserted slightly-off-kilter, or it can be a timing issue between hardware. It's less common now, but when the computer and the display negotiate the resolution, they can sometimes 'miss' and you get a black screen. PB probably thought it was that latter issue, but I'm willing to bet replacing that cable will address it.

#17212 3 months ago
Quoted from Mageek:

The main screen is LVDS not HDMI , the small screen is HDMI.

There's a controller board in there somewhere though - the display board isn't outputting via LVDS

#17253 3 months ago

Samsung and LG just released 100% transparent OLED displays. It’s not going to be long before we can hover a display OVER the playfield like the P3

#17256 3 months ago
Quoted from dts:

I agree, eventually that may be a solution. Also looked at the backboard like 86Pixels did for Tron but too far away to be helpful.

What about mounting it on the apron like we used to do with WoZ?

#17269 3 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Like this? [quoted image]

A-yep! Although I’d prefer it in the middle, but I see why you didn’t do that lol

#17336 3 months ago

Pulling directly off the PSU is probably the best option for this game. Lots of people have reported issues with using the USB ports for power. I'm assuming that is somehow related to the motherboard's low amperage output, but it seems to create weird glitches in gameplay, so best to go direct from the PSU.

1 week later
#17392 3 months ago
Quoted from dts:

I keep experimenting with a mirror screen and love the placement over the ramps. It doesn’t block anything important and is such an easy way to see what is going on in the modes, without taking my attention away from the playfield. I feel this is as close as possible to the original intent with the playfield screen, especially for ambush multiball. At the apron location, you have to look down and away from the playfield, and in the back it is too far away to be helpful. PB could easily offer this as an aftermarket mod with some Lior treatment.
[quoted image]

Looks pretty good - I’m still thinking transparent LCD. Although that would really require some blank screens at points so it would “disappear” into the playfield. I liked how JJP had the small screen reflected downward in DI so it would sometimes appear empty. I think it’s on GB as well

#17461 87 days ago

While we are on the subject of hardware.. can someone point me to the correct Stern spinners for this godforsaken game. I’ve corrected everything else that was jacked up from the factory (Xeno magnet, pops, ramps) but the spinners need a hardware pinch hitter. This is a mess.

Spinners don’t register on a perfect shot, come to rest perpendicular to the playfield (guess what happens then!) and get stuck rotating, despite a liberal amount of silicone lube applied.

What in gods name are the appropriate Stern spinners? PBL has some and Marco has.. others? But I’m unclear on the part number. I’ve seen GB as a good reference but not sure which are the right ones to buy

Thanks!

#17463 86 days ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

I bought these and created custom decals and they work flawlessly--- SKU: 515-7088-00 pinball life.

Much appreciated!

#17470 86 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

You can just fix the geometry on the arms of your current spinners. Make sure all the angles are 90 or 180 in both dimensions and it'll settle flat. You may also need to adjust the switch arm if it's not activating but do the spinner arms first. A little drop of machine oil and three things will rip.

This was a total failure on my game. I'm starting to wonder if the arm is somehow installed incorrectly, wrong place or wrong size or something. But I'll take another shot at it. Maybe I'm missing something

#17509 83 days ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Which version of alien do you have? I am on the fence with buying a new Ripley version and I'm holding off until I hear if Pinball Brothers has done a better job of quality control. I have three personal friends that bought SV and LV models and had a LOT of problems right from the get-go.
You are referring to your game as a mess. And this is what I'm afraid of. I love the theme. This game has awesome lighting. Love the assets. Love the audio. But I don't want to buy a brand new in box game that's going to have a shit ton of problems right away

I have an SV, and -not- a newer game. I'll have to check the exact build date, but I would guess it's a year and a half to 2 years old. I am trying to think of a game which I've had more problems with, and I can't come up with one. I had a Houdini (love that game) that had a few alignment issues out of the box, and some other basket case games (STTNG, others from Capcom, Bally, JJP) - but I was able to get all of them fixed. I've had this Alien for a LONG time and just can't get it to play. The pops are an issue (adjusted with leaf tool and aligned the spoons as per LTG process), the spinners are SO GD frustrating, and it's just drain, drain drain - I can't figure out the right pitch and level for this game. And I'm not new to widebodies.

All that said, the Xenomorph picks up the ball almost every single time. I have to assume the quality control is much better nowadays, but I can't say for sure. I've been trying! And I want this game to work out - it's such a great theme. The number of times I've raised the playfield is wearing on me though.

#17518 83 days ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I don't have much time on the old code, but I can't see how they did some of these modes without Ripley. Like Queen's Nest for instance. Her firing up that flamethrower is a must.
While on the subject, curious for those on 4.1 how they feel about the audio adjustments made? Supposedly they increased the volume on the Ripley clips. I think I noticed it in some, but definitely not all. It is still too low in Combat Drop, for example.
Thinking about opening a ticket to give my feedback if others agree, and if so, would suggest we get multiple open.

I was about to say the exact opposite! I been playing mine a lot since the Ripley updates, and I was surprised at how NOT-different I felt the game was. For sure it's better with her in there, but it's only a few clips (or so far as I've seen, I've not made it through every mode). Also, I mostly play "Alien", so perhaps there are fewer clips of her there. I need to check out more of the Aliens side of things I guess.

#17537 83 days ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Id be curious how sales for a music pin do vs. others... I just feel fan bases for music pins are smaller than for other themes.

Stern wouldn't keep producing them if they didn't at least sell decently. They get a bump from the number of fans who have interest just based on the band (and are not regular customers), maybe they lose some 'regulars' because they're not a fan of the band - but I bet it's no different than any other game. And licensing music is WAAAAAY less expensive than licensing from a movie, so most of the game characters/toys/etc (e.g. Foo Fighters, Metallica) are really created and owned in-house. Not sure on the AC/DC bell. Stern doesn't do non-licensed stuff, so a music game is still cheaper than say, Jaws!

#17538 83 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

For todays bands maybe, but older bands have millions and millions of lifelong fans. If you want to talk things that should have themes, video games trump pretty much everything in terms of fan bases . The difference being who likes pinball and who can afford pinball. That whole 'affording' thing gets smaller with every price increase.

Older bands don't even need 'millions' of fans - they just need a dedicated base of older fans who have disposable income. What's a top selling game nowadays? like 6000,7000? Come to think of it, how is there still no Motorhead pin! Or the Doors, or Pink Floyd

1 week later
#17639 76 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

Congratulations on breaking Ohm's Law.

I'm dead LOL

#17715 73 days ago

Finally replaced my spinners with the similarly sized Stern ones.

WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Part of my issue with my game has (apparently) always been the bricks when hitting those damn spinners. I noticed it when playing with 1 ball, but was predictably multiplied in multiball, and I just had a couple of huge games which showed how bad it was.

I’ve got to replace the decals on those spinners now. I’m going to carefully transfer them from the old spinners, but does anybody know a source to buy new ones in case I have an issue?

#17719 73 days ago
Quoted from Stebel:

There were some spare decals in my goodie bag when I swapped my spinner to sterns.
Check your goodie bag if you have one.

Quoted from Ant-H:

If you don’t have spares, I would raise a ticket with PB and ask to purchase new ones. I did this recently with some other parts that I couldn’t find anywhere and they sorted me out.

Thanks, hadn’t even thought to check the bag. I’ll message PB if they aren’t in there

#17723 73 days ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I think some peoples spinners are worse than others.
Before I changed mine out for smoother spinners I would like to see if the effort is worth it or not. lol

I don’t know if it would be worth it for somebody else, but mine were REAL bad.

Changing them took me literally 5 minutes. The Stern spinners are slightly shorter than the PB ones I had, so they weren’t hard to re-insert into the frame. Getting the crap ones out took longer, believe it or not.

The stern ones are also much heavier, so they come to rest properly. The PB ones would just randomly get stuck, fixed in place, and the ball would brick, or it would get stuck horizontally and never contact the switch. The difference was -instant- after replacing them. I don’t know if my game was an anomaly and just got a bad set, but they were destroying the whole game.

#17728 72 days ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

When i swapped out my spinners the decals were not available with Pbros... needed to buy a whole spinner assembly to get them.. I just made my own. took photo of the decals, uploaded to die cut sticker site, and had a new set in 10 days for new, proper spinners.

Not a bad idea. What's a good site to use?

#17733 72 days ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This is what I bought. It was posted a little while back from Baggerman as well.
https://www.pinballlife.com/desegastern-narrow-spinner-515-7088-00.html

Those are the ones I put in. Be sure you order the NARROW spinners (the link above). PinballLife accidentally shipped me the larger ones, and I can confirm they do NOT fit in the game. Had the proper ones the following day. PBL awesome as always.

#17740 72 days ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Would you say these "bad" spinners are being shipped out with the new Ripley Editions or are you referring to prior pins?

My game is older (still need to check build date), and I didn't get it NIB, so it's entirely possible I just had an early dog before they fixed this whole issue. But man it is a MAJOR change. This game still pisses me off LOL, but at least now I don't feel like it's totally unfair

1 week later
#17849 61 days ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

The stand up switches in this game are fking useless. They drift all the time, the break often and the worst of them they don’t register a lot!! Super frustrating to say the least

Has anyone tried replacing with leaf switches ? I seem to remember this being discussed but I can’t find it

#17851 61 days ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

I did this mod to one of the PB Alien switches on my game with a leaf stack to give it a whirl.
I started with an unused Data East target stack I had lying around. Carefully disassembled and dremeled the targets off both.
Reriveted the clear Alien one on the data east leaf. I clipped off the microswitch from the target board.
To get the LED high enough, I carefully filed the holes to slide the LED board up. I trimmed a tiny bit off the inner leaf so it wouldn't hit the LED.
I also decided to use the stiffer back bracket because the stock flat blade gets bent back pretty quick, causing airballs and eventually the microswitch gets hit and breaks off the board. I might have to file a groove in the playfield to fit it.
I also elongated the backing bracket to raise it up so the top of the target hits the bracket to limit the travel.
Soldered the 2 wire connector on the switch.
I ended up dremeling a slot in the playfield so I could use the stiffer L-bracket. Especially on the target I took a picture of. It gets hammered and seems to work pretty good now. Its a lot more sensitive to light hits now.
PBL now has clear block standup targets, so next time I would order those to start and not have to worry about re-riveting the clear head.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice, great explanation, thank you!

2 weeks later
#18062 47 days ago

I have an Alien and got to play 4 or 5 hours of Jaws Pro recently, and I do have to say I was fully prepared to hate that game because of what looked like a sparse layout at first. But boy did they pack quite a bit in. The games play DRAMATICALLY different. Alien's shots are tight and tough, and there are a LOT of rejections. Jaws is the complete opposite, and (I think) the rules are deeper. I was surprised how fun it was to shoot. I don't feel that way about Alien, unfortunately. But obviously there are a lot of people who are head over heels with the game, so decide for yourself.

Make sure you are good with widebodies before you commit to an Alien, but then I'd say go with whichever theme speaks to you more.

#18080 46 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You know what would be awesome? If they sent me the topper that I paid in full for last month. I don't mind putting deposits down for stuff and waiting a while, but when you request final payment, I just think that the product should be ready to go. Maybe I'm wrong...

Appears to be an issue not just with pinball. I put a deposit down for a guitar in JULY last year and just received it on Thursday. New manufacturer, I think they had some supply issues

#18091 46 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Deposits are fine and I'm a patient guy. Waited a year for Queen. But when I submitted the final payment, I had the game within 1 or 2 weeks. There's been no word about the toppers. I know...first world problems.

Aah! Fair point

#18092 46 days ago
Quoted from benime:

Try buying a Jackson Custom Shop guitar. Pay in full upfront, wait 3 years.
Pinsiders whine way too fucking much.

Quoted from Harvester:

You lost me at “Custom Shop”.

You lost me at “Jackson”. Jackson ceased to exist in 2002 when they were bought by Fender.

The guitar I was referring to is this one, and WOW am I happy with it.

Gonna go play me some Alien now ..

IMG_6953 (resized).jpegIMG_6953 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#18183 39 days ago

Just did an update and now I think all my coil settings have been reset.

Balls going back into the trough from the shooter lane on eject, slings back to an INSTANT drain, pops seem mostly ok, but I think this is because I adjusted the leaf switches as well.

Is this expected behavior? I didn’t write down any of my settings so I now I need to go back and adjust.

#18185 39 days ago
Quoted from John_C:

Finally got finished doing some work on my Alien-RV. I installed a secondary power supply (12v and 5v), fuse block, etc.
Once I got the additional power squared away, I installed my custom DIY Alien topper as well as my own emergency beacon spinners. Both are powered via the new power supply. The beacons get triggered via a relay to come on during the game.
Check it out!
http://www.jkcosta.net/videos/Alien_Topper_Beacons.mp4
The topper pieces were a lot of work. I bought some old collectables on eBay and gutted and rewired them. The little aliens I found on either eBay or Etsy. I have about $400 invested, including the power supply, wiring, molex connectors, fuse block, etc.
I love the real Alien topper but I couldn't justify the price for it. Maybe if I saw it in person I'd change my mind.
The beacons are real rotating beacons I bought on Amazon for $25 each. I think they are much more authentic looking than the LED beacon kit from Pinball Brothers. I went as far as reversing the wiring to the motor in one of them so that it rotates counterclockwise to the other.
Call me crazy.
[quoted image]

That looks amazing! I was never able to get enough amperage out of the 12V in the game to get both beacons to rotate. Glad you figured out a way to get this to work. I think I have a relay bouncing around here some where …

There is a 3D printable file on Thingiverse which fits those beacons perfectly, and wraps them in a little more “official” looking mount. You could get it printed and fix the mount to the backbox and then stick the beacons inside. I’ll see if I can find the link..

#18212 38 days ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

Did you update the firmware or game software only? If firmware you should reset all settings anyway as it works a bit different with the coils afaik.

Game code only AFAIK. But thanks for the heads up about firmware. my game seems possessed.

2 weeks later
#18601 23 days ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:But True Lies is better than both of those!
Controversial hot take.

LOL WHAT?! Lots of fury over the plastic look of the new True Lies UHD too. Totally Cameron’s fault. Great movie but 100% would take Abyss and Aliens first

3 weeks later
#18793 3 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:Well after multiple delays on my end Alien SV is finally home. Thanks to Rdoyle1978 for his patience in getting the deal done.
Had to cram it in our family room which I am not happy about but I wanted the game and didn’t want to get rid of anything so it is what it is.
Going to play it for a bit and then put a few mods on it. For now we want to enjoy it. It 100% needs additional lighting as it’s far too dark for our liking but I do have the apron mod and some extra pinstadiums I can put on it.
[quoted image]

What a beauty! It will be back here some day

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.