b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 3 years ago

Going with the SE for now. Will see what the LV brings to the table for $2k.

#94 3 years ago

Screen in pf would be something that would make me consider the LV. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll care that much about the additional bells and whistles, especially if I can separately purchase/backfill the ones I really want.

#115 3 years ago

Real but photoshopped

4 months later
#568 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I don't normally pay in full until the game is at their dock. I don't want it to be stuck on a ship for the next 2 months

Is that even negotiable?

1 month later
#1222 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I gotta say, I’m starting to consider pulling my deposit. We’ve only seen a small handful of these games land, and it looks like there’s a lot of issues to iron out.
It should be made for a long time to come, plenty of time to pick one up down the road. Tough choice, but might be the right one

Get a q2 run instead. Double edged sword with the first run--get it earlier, but also with more issues.

#1227 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Meh, the Elvira I got a year ago had very few issues compared to the ones people are getting now.

Congrats. But I would still submit you're more likely to hit engineering flaws early on in a games production life cycle.

#1301 2 years ago

Very nice write up! Did you share with pinball brothers?

2 months later
#2069 2 years ago

Ouch. I'm assuming those prices don't include shipping either

#2074 2 years ago

Glad I grabbed a Q2 at $7700. Had been thinking about cancelling my SV and just getting an LV instead, but at a $3k premium now...

2 weeks later
#2474 2 years ago
Quoted from macethetemplar:

We used to have one lol. Technically 2. Yes I know the second one was technically a show not a ride, and not the Alien brand but still terrified children haha.
However there was a scene in the great movie ride that was Alien.
The Great Movie Ride (Alien Scene) - MGM/Hollywood Studios, Was replaced by Mickey's Runaway Railway last year.
Alien Encounter - Magic Kingdom, Was replaced by Stitch's Great Escape! years ago and is now sitting abandoned.
OHH and we had an AVP house at Halloween Horror Nights a few years ago. You had to crawl through the last 50ft through the vents... One of my favorite houses ever!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Man, I loved Alien Encounter

#2478 2 years ago

Hmm, my ACNC has been super solid, other than 1 servo that was DOA when I unboxed the game.

#2603 2 years ago

Same here! Was also asked for payment for the motion tracker mod yesterday...Finally coming together!

#2610 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Are the tracker mods ready now?

Was asked for payment--not sure on ship date

#2616 2 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Will be shipping first batch next week hopefully

Looking forward to it!

1 week later
#2816 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

So I'm surprised nobody else picked up on this.
In Faust picture, he shows his machine with black powdercoat with sparkles. I asked did he have that done and he told me no it came that way when he unboxed it , I think he got the LV armor on his machine because every other SV has had chrome. What do you guys think, is this a sneak peek to the armor on the LV? I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow
[quoted image]

Was wondering the same. Fingers crossed

#2892 2 years ago
AlienLV (resized).jpgAlienLV (resized).jpg
#2899 2 years ago

Hmm, not sure I'm feeling it at the price point. Thoughts?

#2914 2 years ago

Ya I think I actually prefer the standard's cab and bg art at first look. Curious to see more details on sculpts and airlock.

1 week later
#3298 2 years ago

I emailed Melissa to ask if it's a refundable deposit, but haven't heard back. Did anyone else get an answer there?

1 month later
#3821 2 years ago

Anyone get their hands on images of an actual Alien LV yet?

#3830 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

It’s interesting because current owners have sold or thought about selling to get an LV. That’s how I got mine and now I’m thinking about getting an LV. My buddies all bought SEs and are on the next two containers being shipped. I’m sure people are scared but i think availability is an issue just like the big Lebowski. I would love one but I don’t feel like waiting 6-8 months. Same for alien, my buddies have waited months for it. The one was q2 delivery and now it’s q4

I have a Q2 SV I'm still waiting on for which I paid in full ~2 months back. I kind of wanted an LV, but there aren't even real images, and who knows when they'd actually land stateside...

#3832 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Cato seemed swamp with orders. Pretty sure they deliver.

Not saying they won't. I just don't know precisely what I'd be getting or when.

1 week later
#3919 2 years ago

Too bad they don't have an engineering sample to show what the actual package is. Cancelled my LV spot and stuck with my SV until I can see a real game.

#3922 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I agree they should have showed ACTUAL cabinet as opposed to a render. But you pretty much should be able to grasp the game as their photoshop place holder. It would be really neat if they decided to add the glowing "ALIEN" letters on the side with it being back lit opaque plexiglass / acrylic glass etc. I could also see them still producing an Alien [XV] with that and possibly larger screen, would it piss me off as an LV buyer, if announced down the road... probably. But most of the pinball manufactures have proven they basically do what they want.

I just need to see the real thing to see if it's worth moving up from an SV.

2 weeks later
#4150 2 years ago

Melissa just responded via email and said mine is going out today!

#4156 2 years ago

Not sure where I am in line, but I was a Dec. 20 deposit w/ payment in full mid Sept.-ish

#4173 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Just received a fed ex email asking me to schedule shipment. I chose Thursday this week.

Same for me--got a shipping notification email from cointaker and then maybe 5 hours later a text from FedEx asking me to pick a delivery time

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4271 2 years ago

Anyone else get theirs with super scratched up ramps?

#4273 2 years ago

Getting lots of stock balls by the left saucer. Looks like the stopping plate was installed backwards???

PXL_20211204_040953310.MP.jpgPXL_20211204_040953310.MP.jpg
#4274 2 years ago

Hyper sleep lock 1 switch inactive unless I rotate the airlock a little counter clockwise. Opened a ticket, but, anyone know the correct adjustment here? Almost seems like either too much slop in the airlock, or the opto needs to be moved such that the ball breaks the opto no matter how much the airlock shifts around.

Lock 2 & 3 are fine.

#4277 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Getting lots of stock balls by the left saucer. Looks like the stopping plate was installed backwards???[quoted image]

Could anyone confirm this for me? Mine is angled away from the player, but I'm assuming it should be angled towards. What are you seeing on yours?

#4278 2 years ago

Wasn't seeing this in the stickies...So before I dig in, what are you all doing to address weak flippers? I cranked mine up in settings, but they still feel super weak.

#4281 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Wow It’s definitely backwards, musta been a rookie on the line

Thanks for confirming!

#4283 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I had to adjust mine a couple times after putting down the playfield protector.
Seems like the this post needs to be adjusted..[quoted image]

Thanks! Did you adjust it front to back?

#4287 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I pushed it around until it was letting it slide up and down smoothly. The opto alignment is very sensitive also.

So I have my hyperlock issue (tentatively) solved.

There were two main issues:

1) Ball wasn't coming far enough forward to reliably be seen by the opto. I.e., the opto would read as "Inactive" unless I manually shifted the mech around.
2) Shaking of the game caused the ball to rattle around and cause opto noise (rapidly toggling between active/inactive). The issue here is that there is a LOT of slop in the mechanism. It almost feels like a bushing or some other part is missing.

For (1), I did two things:

i) Bent the prongs that the ball rests against slightly forward
ii) Fiddled w/ alignment of the rest of the mech as best I could.

For (2), I did two things:
i) Added a piece of weather stripping of the appropriate thickness, to help keep the ball centered in the mechanism.
ii) Bent the front guides on the sliding piece in towards eachother/middle, such that the amount of slop was much more limited, but still moved freely.

If I shake the living hell out of the machine I can still get an Active/Inactive toggle, but normal gameplay type nudging/shaking didn't show any switch toggles with these changes.

I've added some pics to help clarify the changes I made.

SideView - Adjusted (resized).jpgSideView - Adjusted (resized).jpgTopView - Adjusted (resized).jpgTopView - Adjusted (resized).jpg
#4288 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Mine have always been real strong but they were binding mechanically originally, check to make sure they move freely by hand and that there is a small amount of up and down movement. There is also a video from Hurry Up Pinball in the thread about binding.

I played around and all of the flippers felt good, moving freely by hand. I couldn't detect any binding or abnormal resistance. I've ended up turning left, right and upper right flippers up to 150% power.

I also noticed that the right spinner was pretty stiff, in that it was adjusted such that it had a lot of resistance from the switch while moving through a full rotation. I've adjusted the switch blade a spinner arm so that tolerances aren't so tight.

The right orbit still feels a bit weak to me, but the shots are generally much more comfortable/makeable now. I was even hitting the side/lock ramp pretty well.

#4290 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Cato sent me a new mechanism with larger opto holes. Perhaps they are still putting the old one in at the factory?

Perhaps. Holes did seem pretty big though. Maybe 3/8" diameter or so?

#4306 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

New owner here. Loving the game so far but having an issue with the flippers. Not the sticky issue I’ve seen. When the ball shoots out of the airlock and hits the left flipper - if I am holding that flipper up, it drops down when hit, as if the hold power isn’t strong enough.
It happens to the right flipper also if a ball hits it directly with some power.
Has anyone else had this issue and can anyone suggest a solution?

Just received my game and I have the same issue. And the flippers in general move freely but are very weak at default settings. I cranked the left, right and upper right flippers to 150% and that made the game playable. I measured at the coil lugs and I have 48VDC at unenergized and a net 10VDC or so when energized and in the up position (didn't examine PWM wave).

I opened a ticket with PB. Hoping there's another adjustment somewhere. Or maybe wrong coils, springs, etc were installed at factory.

#4307 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I think I’ve sorted it thanks - I put the power up to +50%. I thought this would make them too powerful but they seem perfect and the flop down issue has stopped.
Setting the left saucer kick out to -35% as someone here suggested has also made its feed much better.

Do your games left and upper right flippers fade for you now too? Hyper sleep lock and right orbit shots still get a bit dicey for me after playing for maybe 5-10 mins.

#4315 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've been keeping my flippers at default strength and not had any knockdown issues. Are your games all on firmware 0.56?

Mine is 0.56

#4316 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Cato told me there is a bulletin coming out.
I have dead slings to.
He said it will be to rotate coils 180 degrees and turn them upside down or something.

Is this meant to address flipper weakness as well? Or just the 'othet' coils?

#4321 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

sorry to be a newb.. but how can i tell what version? is it in a log file?

Go to service menu and hang tight on screen that shows software rev. It will start scrolling through additional info including firmware version.

#4326 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I cut 1\8 off my coil sleeves, no issue since.

Sleeve or bushing? If former, what problem were you solving? Reducing friction? I don't feel any binding/rubbing in mine.

#4331 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

if the sleeve is getting damaged. cut it. it worked for me

Thanks. Could you feel any resistance when manually moving the flipper? Or anything else that tipped you off on this?

#4337 2 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Being on the LV pre-order, I'm concerned about all these issues which should have been resolved with the latest batch of games. Yes, most new games need adjustments but these issues are much more than that. Sorry to all who received their games and are in this situation. Not so excited right now which sucks for a large $ purchase. PB, get your act together with the quality control or your not gonna have much repeat business.

To be fair, I feel like mine is playing pretty well right now, and it took way (waaaaay) less tinkering than, e.g., my Stranger Things Premium.

I'm pleasantly surprised with how fun the game is...Really cool atmosphere and rules, shoots well. Definitely feels "different" from most games.

#4351 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I can’t begin to tell you how disappointed I am that my Alien is unplayable due to malfunctioning flippers. I’ve tried smoothing the bushing which didn’t help, and just about any other thing that I can do. I’m a very competent pinball tech and this one has me baffled. I’m thinking that it may be the nylon piece below the flipper that the shaft pivots on when the coil fires. Not really a serviceable part unfortunately.
Does anyone know if the flipper assembly is unique to Pinball brothers or could it be a Bally/Williams part? I’d love to do a complete flipper rebuild but all I have on hand are Stern rebuild kits.

Did you open a ticket? Cato responded to my initial "weak flippers" ticket and asked me to identify the linkage I have on my game and I found that mine is different from the picture he shared with me. (Haven't heard back yet, so I'm not sure whether that's good or bad )

Incidentally, here's what mine look like:

LeftFlipperMech (resized).jpgLeftFlipperMech (resized).jpg
#4360 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Both of my left flippers have significant drag when moving them manually. If I lift them slightly while turning them the drag is gone. I sanded the bushing top and bottom and even made a “washer” from a credit card to smooth out the top of the bushing but it didn’t help.

Cut a V shaped slot into a credit card and use that as a temporary spacer when installing the flipper bats. Then, when done, remove them. You need a small gap between the top of the bushing and the bottom of the flipper.

1 week later
#4537 2 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Thanks! It was a wild ride when I thought I was finally getting the game; fed-ex flaked on my delivery date.
I had to waste a day off, but I ended up getting the game the next day (today).
If you’re on the fence about getting this game, I say Go for it!
This game is the most immersive pinball experience I've had yet!
So far, the negatives I've experienced are: balls draining sdtm from the scoop, plus the flipper buttons feel “hair trigger light” when I press them, which I don't particularly like (no feed back).
Also, my ramps are scratched, which is a downer.
I'm hoping adjusting the pitch will fix the scoop issue. I may order some different flipper buttons, probably the ones with the spring in them.
So far, I love this game!! (I probably need to update the code as well, I’m on 2.2).

I tinkered with my scoop a bit. I finally got it to work well by placing a piece of weather stripping at the front side, which causes the ball to sit further back and be struck differently by the plunger/have a different launch angle. Now the ball reliably goes to the left flipper.

#4539 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

I was able to do the same by reducing the coil strength a bit... any damage to be done to coils by doing this method?

I doubt it.

Is the kick out noticeably weaker where you have it? If not, maybe I'll play with that some more. I just like the kick out to feel aggressive.

#4567 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Here it is. Alien LV reveal video.
Amazing armor, Low profile lights on the head. Open eggs. LV Dog Tags. Interior art blades, beautiful upgraded backglass and cabinet art - and more!
I’m in.
https://fb.watch/9ZFuMm16cu/
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks sharp. Only functional upgrades are shaker and beacons?

#4571 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

While that is probably the best trailer they've made yet...it barely shows off a reason to get an LV.
Why blue over black? Why all open eggs?
The bg is personal preference...since it is about the movies...i am just not a fan of the comic book style art. As it doesnt blend with the cabinet. The pf art was by the same person or different?

I'm an SV owner so I suppose I'm biased, but I prefer the look of its art over the LV. In my mind the art should have a very dark or derelict ship kind of look. The LV art looks too colorful/busy.

I kind of wish they would've stayed closer to the SV art and added lighting effects similar to the og le. And maybe a jet black powder coat, or maybe a 'rusted metal' look.

#4573 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

The cabinet art is by pinsider Aurich and I think it's amazing!~ The lit inside art blades are sweet!! The armor really should be black. I don't mind the stubby beacons will fit my ceiling haha

Lit inner blades are pretty cool

4 weeks later
#5095 2 years ago

Nice. Did you bend the guide rail? I've been having bounce outs too, but haven't played with it.

#5103 2 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

I was mainly looking for the “weatherstrip” fix method. I didn’t see it listed in the key post and I couldn’t find it in the forum but I remember seeing someone post about it.

Weatherstrip for which area?

1 month later
#5694 2 years ago

This shouldn't be frequent. On mine I've had a black screen once after a few months of ownership.

1 month later
#6472 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I've had a couple more requests for the translite and door mods, if anyone wants them drop me a pm. Need to do a run of 5 to make it cost-effective.
Also had a request for a Queen version in blue hues rather than green which can be done as wellif we get a few people wanting the same.
Had a few guys asking about flipper bats. I just used scared stiff boney beast bats and hand painted them black base, gunmetal highlights then gloss clear.
Had a great game last night but can't seem to crack those big scores you guys get![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Can never get over how awesome this layered translite looks!

2 months later
#8137 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Here are the details of my $30 DIY fix that successfully increases the zeno grab. In fact, I've played at least 30 times since doing this and the zeno hasn't missed yet. All you need is a hot glue gun, some clear bumpers, and few beers for courage. Maybe this will inspire somebody to create a more elegant solution.

Sorbothane
amazon.com link »
cone bumbers
amazon.com link »
cab bumpers
amazon.com link »
alternative smaller bumpers
amazon.com link »

Have some video of this in action?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=joetechbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.