b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#686 2 years ago

Very sorry to hear about the flooded basement, @tinyblackdog... hope there wasn't much damage to your house or possessions. But congrats on the game... I trust you'll get any glitches ironed out quickly and have a blast with it!

#696 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Thank you Ferret for coding such an amazing game.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Please: Brian Dominy (@bcd) deserves at least as many accolades for the code... he's a brilliant engineer.

But I feel comfortable saying this for Brian, and all of Team Alien: we're really happy that more people will get to experience this great game, and hope it brings you all much enjoyment!

1 week later
#821 2 years ago

It’s been awhile, but I believe…

- When making the “explore” orbit during Derelict Ship

- When making either orbit during Queen’s Nest

- When doing an inlane -> opposing orbit combo (might be only during single ball play?) which also briefly gives higher egg bumper scoring

1 month later
#1553 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

One question about Ambush. As the multi ball starts and the motion tracker shows the aliens proximity the shots are red on the left side but the center scoop, right ramp, and right orbit are different colors. Like one was green and the right orbit was yellow. Is this normal? What aren’t they red? Trying to get an understanding of how each mode and multi ball are suppose to work.

During Ambush, the attacking Xenos approach from one of four "quadrants" on the tracker and on the playfield... if I remember correctly, the leftmost quadrant uses red insert lighting, the second quadrant green, the third quadrant blue, and the rightmost quadrant yellow. Each quadrant has multiple shots that can be used to kill the attacking Xeno in that quadrant.

For biggest scores, this is important, because you don't want any Xenos to reach the center -- that resets the jackpot values back to baseline. So you want to focus on shooting the Xenos that are closest to the center. The callouts during Ambush include "accurate" distance calls that tell you the distance of the Xenos that are closest to the center... they move at about 1 meter per second.

2 weeks later
#1693 2 years ago

I'm very happy to hear that the Pinball Brothers are rocking it when it comes to customer service. This great game deserves it, especially after all it's been through.

#1702 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m encouraged by this too. But is it the greatest idea to keep just sending out the flawed parts or should they really redesign some of this stuff so they can just send one replacement and be done with it?

No idea which of these parts need design fixes and which are inherently fine but just failed by bad luck. But it takes time to redesign, validate, and produce new parts, and certainly customers in the field don’t want to just be dead while all that happens.

1 week later
#1779 2 years ago

There are already a ton of quotes from both movies in these games.

1 week later
#1882 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Brian Dominy is a super star in programming, I have a hard time putting words to how great a man Brian is, he is a real commodity

Yes, he is, indeed.

1 week later
#1995 2 years ago

I seem to recall doing the calculation of video assets in the game and it's in the neighborhood of 25 minutes. Sure, some of those assets are custom animations (that Kelly knocked outta the park) but there are a LOT of movie assets in the game.

2 weeks later
#2283 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I sorta wish the colors reflected the distance the alien was (red closest, etc) but currently it's just that each of the 4 shot groups has an assigned color

The lights for each quadrant do get brighter and flash faster as the Xenos in that quadrant get closer to the base. Admittedly that can be subtle in the heat of battle, but it's there.

#2359 2 years ago

It does various helpful things during modes and multiballs. Can spot lit shots, increase shot values, stuff like that.

#2378 2 years ago

Shoot the upper (Hypersleep) ramp to light a Revive light on the left outlane.

#2380 2 years ago

Averell has created an amazing rules and reference document:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/6419/2017_ALIEN_Standard_Edition_Rulesheet_Rev_1_2_dated_2020_08_05.pdf

Some details may not be quite correct for the Pinball Brothers models, but it should be close enough.

1 week later
#2585 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

shoots great, i dont understand how the weapons work...but its fun.

Each of the 5 weapons has a distinct ability, ranging from Bonus X increase to spotting Xeno hits to activating a ball saver. You can fire the currently selected weapon by pressing the Launch button. (The screens will tell you what the ability is of the current weapon.) Use wisely for big benefit... or keep them for extra end-of-ball bonus, your choice.

Enjoy your new game!

#2637 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Additionally i dont know if the game conti ues thru both stories..or you onpy stick to the ine you pick...and if there is a larger wizard mode as a special treat for completing them all.

When you complete all the scenes of the movie you initially choose (including its mini-wiz) you switch to the other movie.

When you complete both movies and all four main multiballs, All Out War is the final wizard mode.

Enjoy!

1 week later
#3208 2 years ago

Alien scenes tend to be more “pensive”… make a couple well chosen shots and you can win a mode with decent points.

Aliens scenes tend to be more “shoot first, ask questions later”: more stuff lit but less points per shot. More shots required to win.

3 weeks later
1 week later
#3824 2 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

Anyone getting a spontaneous case of the left slingshot machine gunning when the game starts?

Not to be too obvious, but did you check the switch gaps on that slingshot?

#3844 2 years ago

Hmmm, I had a good time at Chicago Expo. What was the supposed letdown?

#3878 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Anybody else think we should be able to change the upper L & V lit lanes?

As Zablon said, it would be too easy and powerful if you could lane-change. There's basically only 7 increments available from these lanes, so we couldn't make it too easy. (And bonus can get sizable if you have decent Scene Bonus.)

Quoted from zacaj:

Iirc during the Alien mode, only one orbit (blue?) diverts. During Aliens mode they should always both divert

This. (Derelict Ship and Queen's Nest, respectively.)

#3884 2 years ago

Hmmm... I'm not sure if anything changed in this regard on the Pinball Brothers game release, but when I last touched the code, both orbits and the upper loop (Vent 3) should all divert to the pops during Queen's Nest. During Derelict Ship, the "Explore" orbit (blue arrow, I believe) should divert into the pops.

1 week later
#4054 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Are you able to activate multiple weapons as the ball drains by alternating flipper and launch button presses?

A weapon will always be selected if possible, so when you fire one (assuming you don't have multiples of it!) the selection will move to another weapon that you do have... meaning that you can just press the Launch button repeatedly to fire everything you've got, if that's your choice.

#4056 2 years ago

Thanks, Tommy! I have an original version in my basement. Love the game.

#4061 2 years ago

Sorry, I’m not involved with the Pinball Brothers production of Alien, I can’t speak to their plans.

#4065 2 years ago
Quoted from RussG:

Is the game basically still shallow and you are constantly repeating the same thing

I guess I'm biased, but I don't think Alien gameplay was ever shallow. Lots of modes that are all quite distinctive, lots of multiballs that are all quite distinctive, lots of side features (things like weapons, Host Bonus, Rescue), and so on. And I suspect most players won't reach All Out War too often.

#4072 2 years ago

There's actually more interaction than you might think, though it's not necessarily well explained on screen. For example, the more eggs you destroy (via pop bumper hits), the more valuable the egg-related modes are (Derelict Ship and Queen's Nest). The value of Ambush Multiball is increased by the number of Lifecycles you've completed before starting Ambush. The value of Sentry Guns Multiball is increased by the number of weapons you've collected before starting SG. The value of each movie's mini-wiz is based on how you did in that movie's modes. I think there are a few other relationship links like that scattered around.

Many of the modes also have hidden niceties (and/or penalties!). For example, Find Jonesy scoring is based on how many shots it takes you to find the cat... the fewer the better. Or during APC mode, besides the lit shots, completing the APC drop targets spots the current shot and also increases the value of shots for the remainder of the mode. And the Recharge target is always helpful during modes and multiballs.

And there are miscellaneous fun tidbits, like the 5,000,000 "Super Skill Bonus" for making 3 distinct skill shots in a game.

We tried to design the game to have enough depth to be interesting, without needing an encyclopedia.

Quoted from RussG:

How many modes and video clips for those modes you think there are in total?

There are 10 primary modes (2 of which are mini-wizard semi-multiballs) and 5 other multiball modes including the final wizard mode, All Out War. I no longer have access to the raw assets, so don't quote me, but my memory is that there is +/- 25 minutes of video content, across several hundred clips.

2 weeks later
#4465 2 years ago

Do you mean Hypersleep + Sentry Guns? Hypersleep + Ambush shouldn’t be possible, I believe.

Great score though!

1 month later
#5057 2 years ago

Right, completing X Lifecycles (adjustable) ... also advancing bonus X past 4+2+6 ... also Mother Mystery award. Winning X scenes (adjustable) lights Special, which can be set for EB. And of course you can set Replay score for EB as well.

#5073 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

These type of issues are what concern me long term on these newer 'pc' base games.

Interesting... I worry much less about these issues on PC based games. Hardware will exist to run x86 or ARM based Linux software for a very, very long time, just because of the enormous scale of those platforms in every industry. I don't have tons of faith that, say, my WPC games will be fixable down the road when the MPU board fails. That relies on a small number of highly specialized vendors like Rottendog or Alltek.

1 week later
#5254 2 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I’ve noticed that you don’t really shoot the outsides of the game too often, the upper ramp even less so and the shot on the right that feeds back to the right flipper. One thing that annoys me about games is one that doesn’t make use of the entire playfield often. Am I correct in my statement?

I don’t think that’s correct. We tried to make every shot in the game be important. All the shots you mentioned are used in various modes and multiballs — preferably in ways that make sense thematically. Additionally, those shots are valuable for:

Orbits: Feed the L-V lanes (bonus X, potential extra ball), feed pops (destroy eggs), feed upper flipper for ramp and Vent 3 shots.

Upper ramp: lock balls for Hypersleep MB, spot letters toward Drop Ship, lights left outlane Revive.

Vent 2 (right side mini loop): advances towards Mother Mystery.

Unique flow shots also award combos, which can be quite valuable in their own right.

3 weeks later
#5651 2 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

So I may have missed it... why is the insert on the playfield for Muthur spelled like your Mom. Mother... what did I miss?

Both spellings are acceptable. It's actually written as "Mother" in the Alien movie script.

1 month later
#6781 2 years ago

The code has been complete since 2018.

There is a wizard mode for each movie, plus a final wizard mode (All Out War) for completing both movies + the 4 main multiballs. I consider it challenging to reach, but not as challenging as, say, Valinor or SDMEWM. An intermediate player should get there occasionally. Of course, difficulty settings can make it a bit easier or harder.

#6808 2 years ago

You're asking about the line directly below "Ball Up"? That tells you how many Extra Balls you have collected.

1 week later
#7067 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Jonesy is difficult! By the time you line him up he's gone lol - I end up just having a hit and hoping I fluke it on the timing

Jonesy is easy! Trap up, wait, watch, and listen. He meows when he starts moving. When he moves, he'll run in a straight line (left or right) from his previous position to his new position. When he moves to a position you feel comfortable shooting from your trapped ball... pounce! You can still shoot his shot even when he's in the shadows (light not flashing) if he hasn't started moving again.

Quoted from Baggerman:

Can anyone explain Save Newt for me.. the colors are all over the place and am not sure how to "win" this one.

Yes, this one is complicated. It's in three parts:

1) Shoot the roving flashing shots to cut through the grating -- this awards points and increases jackpot value. You can't save Newt during this phase, she always gets abducted... just like in the movie.

2) Save Newt! She'll be hiding in one of the three Vent shots, randomly. (Unless Tournament Mode is enabled, in which case she'll be in the second Vent shot you make.) Find her for Jackpot. This is an homage to Find The Girl in CFTBL.

3) Victory! Alternate shooting any lit shot for Jackpot, and Vent 3 for 3x Jackpot. Repeat forever.

3 weeks later
#7476 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

A few things i think need tweaking software wise are:
2) movable upper lanes lamps

This is by design. The lanes can only be completed 6 or 7 times in a ball before the award is maxed out; having lane change here could make this too easy. (See also: Theatre of Magic)

Quoted from applejuice:

5) upper right life cycle lamp doesnt always light from lane shot

Make sure "Chestburster Lane Difficulty" is set to Easy. (Hard requires both the proximity sensor and the standup at the end of the lane, which can be, well, hard. Easy requires only the prox sensor.)

#7556 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Any advice or adjustments to make the Hypersleep chamber shot easier to make? I have the upper right flipper +50 and the pin is at 7 7.5 .

You might lower the pitch of the game a bit, and also try *reducing* the flipper strength. Stronger isn't always better: for one thing, if the coil power is set too high, it can get hot and start binding, which winds up sapping its strength over the course of a gameplay session.

#7581 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Great news!
The beast lives!

What was the resolution here, Tommy?

1 week later
#7856 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I've also noticed my orbit pop ups sometimes don't work during Derelict Ship, but ALWAYS work during Queens Nest. Odd...

Be aware that during Derelict Ship, one of the orbits (forget the color, but I think the screen says "Explore Eggs" or similar) diverts to the pops, while the other orbit does not. What each orbit does alternates after each orbit shot.

2 weeks later
#7986 1 year ago

Most of the modes have tricks to boost their values. Egg related modes (Derelict Ship and Queen's Nest) score more if you destroy some eggs before starting them. APC values increase by completing the A-P-C targets during that mode. Combat Drop can be very lucrative if you're in a rhythm on the ramp combos during the landing phase (especially since the ramp combos also work toward Drop Ship letters for 2x Playfield). Recharge target does something beneficial in all modes.

Also remember that actually winning modes is important because that's what gives you Scene Bonus, which is based on the score you earned in every mode you won that ball, and IS impacted by Bonus X (as Zablon alludes to). 100M+ Scene Bonus feels really good.

There are a couple modes -- Find Jonesy and Bug Hunt -- that you're better off not stacking with multiball, since they punish you for "wrong" shots. Bug Hunt can be quite lucrative, but it's pretty difficult.

The movie mini-wiz modes (Self Destruct and Loader Battle) also get scoring boosts based on how many of that movie's modes you won and how many weapons you have, and since they can convert to multiballs, they can be pretty juicy -- and winning these also contributes to Scene Bonus.

TL,DR: modes may not look like they're very valuable, but they can certainly be a significant component of a big score.

1 week later
#8125 1 year ago

Chestburster shot is makable from the lower left flipper, but it’s very tight.

2 weeks later
#8405 1 year ago

Save Newt isn't really a wizard mode, just one of the 4 main multiballs. The 5th mode of each movie is also a potential multiball (we DID think of those as mini-wiz modes). You've also got the weapons, combos (including the seldom-mentioned Host and Chestburster combos), and Rescue to add some spice.

#8411 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I do not know if there is anything different in the code if you qualify all missions vs. beat all missions.

I've often heard people say that they find the movie missions difficult to complete. "Beat all missions" is probably nigh impossible -- especially since we don't let you replay them (unless you play through them all and loop back again) -- we debated this a lot during the dev process. However, scoring in the movie mini-wiz modes (Self Destruct and Loader Battle) is based on how many of the corresponding movie's modes you completed, and of course Scene Bonus (earned by completing modes) can be very significant, so if you care about points, completing modes is a Good Idea.

#8413 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Are you part of the dev team in charge of the software updating the system OS or just the game code?

None of the above.

I did game code for Alien right through to the end of Heighway. I haven't touched Alien code since then -- it's been in the capable hands of Brian Dominy, who was the other developer on the original project. (The game software is built on his framework.)

#8421 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Any secret to hitting that Hypersleep shot?

Not really. Just gotta find it on your particular machine.

Although the geometry is obviously different, this shot reminds me of the Millions Plus ramp on Whirlwind: not easy, sometimes rejects when you swear you made it, but feels really good when you make it.

2 weeks later
#8820 1 year ago

The Vent 2 shot should register anytime the ball goes there. I actually find the easiest way to shoot it is to aim for the right side of the post below the upper right flipper, or the weapon target directly over Vent 2.

1 week later
#9100 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

The modes are so well done in this game. Each one feels totally unique, and represents the scene really well.

Very happy that you feel that way -- of course that was the goal.

Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Find Jonesy is so hard!

No! Easiest mode in the game. All it takes is patience, young padawan. (Oops, sorry, wrong movie.)

Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Also - I can't do it, but imagine getting vents 1, 2 and 3 in a row would be so satisfying in Tunnel Hunt.

Satisfying, and more valuable too.

#9165 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I know it’s going to shoot like a widebody but has there been a widebody without a upper playfield ?

Sure. Just in the DMD+ era, several come to mind:

Alien (of course)
Full Throttle
The Hobbit
STTNG
Judge Dredd
Demo Man (no, I'm not counting the claw as an upper playfield )
Road Show

And of course, many more than that pre-DMD.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#9424 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Proper timing and usage of weapons can easily triple the length of your game. It’s difficult timing and planning it correctly but when you do it’s a life saver.

I basically had three tiers of players in mind when thinking about the weapons design:

- Novice: doesn't even know weapons exist. The weapons just passively give some extra bonus points, cool.

- Intermediate: knows weapons exist but doesn't optimize their use -- just jam the Launch button when draining (at least on the final ball) and hope to have the game extend.

- Advanced: uses weapons carefully ... like you say, this can be a huge boost to your score and game length:
--- Pistol (Advance Bonus X): save it for a ball when you've won a couple movie scenes. (Especially Self Destruct or Loader Battle, if you want to really milk it.)
--- Shotgun (Spot 2 Xeno Hits): save it until you drain when you know you have 1 or 2 Xeno hits left for Ambush.
--- Smart Gun (Spot "Best" Shot): save it until you have a tough shot needed, like the Hypersleep ramp or Vent 3 for a Super Jackpot and/or Extra Ball, or maybe Hypersleep ramp lit to start Hypersleep MB on an imminent drain.
--- Pulse Rifle (Start 2x Playfield): save it until you've got a big movie scene + (Ambush / Hypersleep / Save Newt) + Sentry Guns stack.
--- Flamethrower (Start Ball Saver): save it until the ball is draining and you've got no other weapon that can help you. The timer on this is short (2 seconds, I think) so you need to be sure the ball isn't taking its time rolling around the apron.

Makes me very happy seeing players in that third category.

1 month later
#10258 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Alternately I’ll sometimes see that I can hit an orbit and sometimes it will funnel the shot to the bumpers, and then half the time it rolls to the flipper. Not sure when it locks it up into bumpers instead of looping,

Inlane switch -> opposing orbit (e.g. left inlane -> right orbit) should catch the ball in the bumpers and give you 5X pop bumper scoring... I believe the orbit arrow briefly flashes green for this, and the bumpers show up differently in lighting and/or on-screen status. (Sorry, I'm blanking on the details right now, but that's the gist of it.)

#10264 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Ferret when the Xeno arrow insert (directly below the magnet) is yellow what is it indicating? I didn't think I was in a mode (but could be wrong) - I'm still learning the intricacies of the gameplay

I believe yellow is Rescue Frenzy, which is an underexposed game feature. Complete the A-P-C drops to start Rescue, then quickly shoot the Xeno to lock in the Rescue Frenzy switch value. At that point, all switches add the Rescue Frenzy value to a pot which is collected by completing the A-P-C drops again (any order). Xeno hits add time.

I think.

Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I think also once you've dropped APC targets the orbits will start to divert into the pops even without an opposing inlane -> orbit shot? Or am I imagining that....?

Yes, any time something good is lit on the upper ramp -- like Hypersleep lock, which is qualified from the A-P-C drops -- orbit shots should divert to the top lanes to increase the chance of the ball feeding to the upper right flipper for that ramp shot.

#10286 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This was explained earlier in this thread, but there is no lane changer on purpose. The LV is solely used to charge the multiplier and because of how often the ball goes up there it would make it too easy since there are only 2 lanes.

Not just only 2 lanes, but also a cap on the bonus X. (1X, 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X, 10X, 12X) (4+2+6 = 12)

1 week later
#10464 1 year ago
Quoted from eharan:

I think the game is underrated!

Don't forget to rate it here on Pinside to let the world know how you feel!

2 weeks later
#10695 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Does your guys game start with revive lit in the outlanes? Also are the mode times really short? I’m on code 2.4 on my sv and I think everything is set to default. I’ve seen vids where people start with revives though. Thx.

There are a lot of adjustments so you can tweak the game to behave how you like. I believe the default (Medium) difficulty has one Revive lane lit at start of game. I believe default mode times should mostly be 45 seconds, except for APC which has a per-shot timer that is shorter (15 seconds?). Don't be afraid to play with the settings, that's why they're there!

1 week later
#10874 1 year ago

The Pinside Top 100 rating system has always been fundamentally flawed, and it certainly doesn't help when users abuse the system.

Thankfully, it also doesn't matter. The fact that Alien has that high ranking, for however briefly it might be before the review-bombers take over, tells the truth that the game brings joy to lots of people. Many thanks to everyone who has supported the crazy journey of this pin -- we are so happy that you love the game!

#10923 1 year ago

You dared to give a recent Stern anything less than a 9. Off with your head.

#10940 1 year ago

There is a "Scene Start Difficulty" adjustment that controls the difficulty of starting a Scene (mode), by adjusting whether it's lit at the start of game and/or start of ball. Extra Hard makes it so that you need to re-light it at the start of each ball, even if it was lit when you drained the previous ball.

#10949 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The Alien modes seem more difficult and much less adrenaline rush. (due to the difference in music and lighting).

Absolutely the intent. Like the movies they represent: the Alien modes are a bit slower and more thoughtful. They tend to offer more points per shot, so if you're good at shot-making, they're pretty efficient. Aliens modes, like that movie, tend to be more energetic, and "spray-and-pray" is more effective, but you usually get fewer points per shot. All part of the atmosphere of the game.

#11005 1 year ago

The review hate-bombing is indeed disheartening, even though I know it doesn't really matter. Especially bothers me to see people who I personally know who have previously expressed a much more positive opinion give it a 2 or a 3. Really, you find this game to be, by far, the worst game you've ever encountered? And it was just in the past few days that you remembered how much you hate the game and you felt obliged to post that?

#11006 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I would not like to do this but if we could get 50 people to just bash godzilla with a low rating, that would be fun, just for fun sakes

No. Please no one do this. Two wrongs don't make a right. Godzilla is an excellent game by most people's standards, please don't post a trash review for it unless you truly hate it.

Wouldn't really matter anyway, Godzilla has many more units out there, and therefore more reviews -- much harder to "move the needle".

#11009 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

it's also because it shows there are still such idiotic people around in this forum. It would have eventually settled into its own true rating, but now that's not gonna be possible.

This is the real shame for me. I truly value honest feedback, both good and bad, from players and owners. The only way pinball creators can improve their product is by doing more of what most people like, and doing less of what most people dislike -- that's pretty straightforward. But when the feedback is "you're not my favorite game / favorite company, so you suck and I'm gonna trash you", that's unactionable -- so these selfish people hurt games that they or others might enjoy. That sucks for the owners and players, past, present, and future. I guess these people just want a monopoly or duopoly that generates a few titles a year at constantly increasing prices.

1 month later
#11817 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

At least make up for a bit of that debacle when Alien LV is still the lowest rated of the three game group for how hard it got pummeled into submission

I noticed this with amusement:

User review of Alien LV:
Jimmyzz
10.000/10
Awesome pin!!
Jimmyzz currently owns this game.
This rating has not been approved yet, but we're already showing the review.
3 Pinsiders flagged this. <---

User review of Godzilla Premium:
Jimmyzz
10.000/10
Awesome pin!
Jimmyzz currently owns this game.
This rating has not been approved yet, but we're already showing the review.
3 Pinsiders starred this! <---

Too bad Pinside doesn't let people see who's giving flags/stars, the same way it allows you to view thumbs up / thumbs down. Would be interesting.

#11987 1 year ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

The recharge switch could use some functionality.

Recharge does something helpful (often awarding shots and/or increasing values) anytime a movie scene (mode) or multiball is active.

#12001 1 year ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

The host light used in bug hunt. Any other meaning or time its on?

Hopefully it lights for this, but regardless: shooting the Chestburster shot immediately after a ball ejects from Vent 1 (Mother saucer) awards a Host Combo.

#12150 1 year ago

Damn that’s a hard mode!! Getting the amount of pops you need and hit the airlock shot. What does hitting the xeno do then?

Actually shouldn't be too hard. Either orbit should put the ball into the pops. When it exits, shoot the Airlock. Repeat 3 times, done.

Each hit on the Xeno increases all the point values for the mode.

#12274 1 year ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

The chest burster shot is almost impossible to hit though.
Is it intended to be this difficult, or is my flipper possibly not aligned right?

It's a tight shot, but makable from both left flippers. Occasionally the pop bumper will just give it to you for free, if your "Chestburster Lane Difficulty" setting is Easy.

I can't speak to @applejuice's lane guide mod personally, but I've heard some people say that it makes the shot easier.

Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Also, to start All Out War, you have to play all MBs, and all missions right? Is that all missions from the current movie you are playing, or from both movies?

All missions from both movies.

#12299 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

While it's not always easy, it's fantastic when you get it right and it's one of the game's features that I love the most

I so much love to hear this.

Yeah I saved my game 3x on 1 ball with use of the weapons. They’re fun to use and annoying when you don’t

Ditto.

#12369 1 year ago

No, All Out War can't be "won", it's just a super-fun scoring bonanza. You can keep it going indefinitely, since it continues as long as you have balls in play, and completing the 5 weapons targets adds a ball as many times as you want. Congrats on getting there, it's not easy!

#12520 1 year ago

Actions > Reset High Scores should clear the high score tables without doing a full factory reset.

1 month later
#13073 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So I just got furthest for me so far in Self Destruct. I take it getting Jonesy in the cage is close but no cigar?

Nope.
Part 1: escape the Nostromo
Part 2: escape on the escape ship
Part 3: profit! (Literally!)

#13079 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So does the 45 second timer extend after part 1?

Yes. Self Destruct (and Loader Battle) also gives more time and more points based on how many of the movie scene modes you've won.

#13080 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Loader Battle however kicks my arse ... (note to self - need to play better )

Hmmm. Phase 1 of Loader Battle is harder than Phase 1 of Self Destruct. But Phase 2 of Loader Battle is easy -- L Ramp, R Ramp, L Ramp, R Ramp, Airlock, boom.

I do love the victory choreography for each phase of Self Destruct, though.

#13110 1 year ago

Smart Gun does not collect everything lit on the playfield — it collects the most valuable shot currently lit.

#13119 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

There are some killer rules in this game when you dive into it. Maybe Ferret can confirm but is it true that more lifecycles complete before starting ambush will increase the jackpots? Also do number of eggs destroyed affect modes such as Queens Nest?

Yes, there are several interactions like that in the rules. I don't remember them all, but I believe the ones you mention are correct.

- Completing a Lifecycle increases future Ambush MB jackpot values.
- Destroying Eggs increases the value of future egg-related movie modes (Derelict Ship and Queen's Nest).
- Completing Vent 1 - Vent 2 - Vent 3 increases the value of future vent-related modes (Tunnel Hunt and Save Newt).

Another non-obvious rule is that during the APC movie mode, completing the A-P-C drop targets spots the current shot and increases shot value for the rest of the mode. (You can do that repeatedly; you could conceivably complete that entire mode just shooting the drop targets. That would be quite lucrative!)

1 month later
1 week later
#13695 1 year ago

Yes, there is a victory multiball for completing Self Destruct or Loader Battle! On both of these movie mini-wiz modes, you can play them indefinitely if you "win" them ... and those points count toward multipliable Scene Bonus, which can be really valuable.

And yes, Bug Hunt is one of the hardest modes, but it can be quite lucrative, and is super fun to complete. (And, honestly, kinda fun to lose, too. Embrace the death and destruction! But win for best score.)

3 weeks later
#13891 12 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is Ferret still working with PB?

Yep. I’m working on Queen.

1 month later
#14108 10 months ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Ambush multiball super jackpot gives you Vasquez shouting "LETS ROOOOCCKKK"! That's about a billion times better than a regular call out.

This.

It was a deliberate choice of the design team not to say "Jackpot" to the player -- part of the immersion of the game. There are other audio/video/lighting cues to let you know that you've done something good.

3 months later
#14694 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Weapon as in like the handgun and shotgun? I feel like I get this every game and I dont even know what im doing in order to get it.

There are several ways to get weapons. You can complete the set of 5 weapons targets around the playfield. You can win a movie mode. Mother will give you one sometimes. You can also get one by immediately shooting a flashing weapon target at initial ball launch (skill shot award).

1 week later
#14767 7 months ago

If you have a hard time shooting the lock, don't worry about it for now -- that's only one of several multiballs.

- Shoot the Xeno head a few times to start Ambush Multiball.

- Shoot the Airlock scoop to start movie scene modes. If the Airlock isn't lit, hit both the left and right inlanes (Weyland - Yutani) to light the Airlock... that's most easily done by shooting the ramps to feed the inlanes.

- All shots and switches add ammo to the Sentry Guns, and when the guns are fully loaded (1000 ammo total), Sentry Guns Multiball will be lit to start on the left saucer (Vent 1 / Mother shot) -- watch for the flashing red Vent 1 arrow, which often lights up during another multiball, since lots of ammo gets loaded when more balls are in play.

These basic tips should be enough to get you in the groove... you can explore other game features later.

Have fun!!

1 week later
#14906 6 months ago

The Pistol / Handgun increases Bonus X one step for the current ball. (If you were at 1X, it goes to 2X; otherwise it's +2X.) Using that weapon is equivalent to completing the L-V lanes once.

1 week later
#15027 6 months ago

An inlane -> opposing orbit combo (e.g. left inlane -> right orbit) should also trap the ball in the top lanes, and briefly give 5x bumper scoring.

1 month later
#16187 5 months ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Wait, I never knew this if I’m reading correctly. You’re saying if I lift the playfield the balls won’t come flying out if I leave them in the trough?

Yes. This was a Pinball 2000 innovation, but several manufacturers now ship this with their games. Such a simple, clever invention.

1 week later
#16280 5 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

What is that load screen? Dont think ive seen that..

Errr... it's part of attract mode, and has been there since the original game. I know, the game is so good, you just want to hit Start again and play some more, but sometime just let attract run for a few minutes, there's lots of fun stuff in there.

#16301 5 months ago

Yes, Scene Bonus can be huge... if I remember the math correctly, when you win a scene (mode), 20% of the points you earned in that mode go into Scene Bonus... so if you max bonus multiplier at 12X, you'll be getting 240% of that scene value as bonus.

#16406 4 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

I never noticed the "shares" paying out after self destruct during the victory lap section... was that new in this code or was i just oblivious?

That has always been there.

1 week later
#16506 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So adult mode turns off the naughty stuff in the game, but the idle videos that play on the machine still contain the gore scenes. Is there no way to turn those off? A party is coming up with lots of little kiddos, but we can't have the machine playing gore, so the adult mode thing seems kinda useless.

This was one of those things we talked through when designing the original game... if we excluded scenes with gore or any form of violence from "family mode", there would hardly be any display effects left. Both films are rated R and have lots of gore and violence, that's just the reality of it. So "family mode" is basically "foul language filter".

#16693 4 months ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I'm specifically trying to figure out why sometimes my left loop goes all the way around and why sometimes it stops and falls into the egg pops (not necessarily in a mode).

Generally, the ball will divert into the egg bumpers if there's something good to be shot with the upper right flipper, like the lit Hypersleep lock -- the game tries to help get the ball over there. It will also divert into the egg bumpers (with a temporary boost to bumper scoring) if you hit an inlane -> opposing orbit.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

Something like a speech clip or something that said, "Hey, you've started a multiball" would be nice.

By design, the game tries hard to AVOID explicitly speaking pinball-y things like "Multiball" or "Jackpot", because those terms aren't part of the Alien/Aliens universe that you're in. Hopefully the change in music, display effects, lighting effects, and balls being launched help cue the player that they started a multiball.

4 weeks later
#17162 3 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I have a question about Ambush MB. Are the 3 left side shots (mystery, orbit, ramp) supposed to always be lit red? I thought I recall when playing on location that was the case. I find on my machine sometimes nothing is lit red at all.

They are not always lit.

During Ambush, aliens can attack from one of four quadrants: 9:00 (red lights), 11:00 (green lights), 1:00 (blue lights), 3:00 (yellow lights), which correspond to the location of the radar blips on the on-screen tracker. The trick to Ambush is that the jackpot value keeps increasing with every shot made unless/until you let aliens hit the center, at which point everything unlights, the jackpot value goes back to baseline, and you have to hit the Xeno to resume. So ideally, you always want to shoot the aliens in the quadrant that's closest to the middle. (This was easier to understand with the playfield screen showing the tracker.) The distance meter also indicates how far the closest aliens are from the center: when it gets to zero, you're toast.

So, once you kill the aliens in a quadrant, that quadrant remains clear for a little while until more aliens come on that attack path, and a quadrant's shots remain unlit if there are no aliens to kill in that quadrant.
---
(I've always called them quadrants, but I suppose they're really sextants? Eh, let's just say "sectors".)

#17165 3 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The distance meter also indicates how far the closest aliens are from the center: when it gets to zero, you're toast.

BTW, there are also increasingly distressed distance callouts that match the on-screen distance meter, so keep listening for those callouts to help you know when you really need to be worrying about shooting the correct sector.

#17188 3 months ago
Quoted from driph:

Is there anything in the game or display that shows which colors correlate to which uh, quadrant, or is it something you just have to discover through trial and error? Would be neat if the color correlation was displayed on the screen during the mode to make it easier to infer and target specific alien blips on the tracker.

There is not, you have to discover it. We discussed color coding the radar blips for the original code, but turns out that makes the tracker look way different than it was shown in the movie, so this was a case where authenticity won out.

#17197 3 months ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

What is the significance of the 1,2,3 inserts? I've read a few guides and they weren't even mentioned.

As Zablon said, they are "Vents", and are potential shots during scenes and multiballs. Also, in normal play, shoot all three vents (any order, any timing) to relight Mother Mystery.

1 week later
#17312 3 months ago
Quoted from MoPinball:

What is the skill shot reward for orbits?

Left orbit skill shot increases the spinner value (and awards immediate points, as all skill shots do). There is no right orbit skill shot.

Quoted from MoPinball:

What is the skill shot reward for the Host target?

Chestburster lane is not a skill shot.

Quoted from MoPinball:

What is it that changes the highlighted mission?

Ramp shots.

Quoted from MoPinball:

Does - Hold ball, select shotgun, wait for Jonesy to be at Xenomorph Target, activate shotgun, shoot Air Lock work for the Find Jonesy mission?

No, because you need (at least) two shots to Find Jonesy and qualify the win on the Airlock shot. But yes, you could use the shotgun to collect a Jonesy shot at the Xeno.

#17321 3 months ago
Quoted from MoPinball:

I understood that the shotgun, "Spots 2 Xenomorph hits". Is there an exception?

I don't think there's an exception to that, but I thought that Jonesy will move immediately when his first shot is made ... but I might be wrong about that! It's been awhile.

1 month later
#18180 39 days ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Left lane "Revive" on when starting a new game.
Curious to know if anyone else has the far left Revive illuminated when starting a new game.

I'm not up to date on the latest code changes, but I think this should be a difficulty adjustment, Revive Diff. If you don't want any Revive lanes spotted at start of game or start of ball, set that adjustment to Extra Hard.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=ferret and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.