b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drypaint.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1369 2 years ago
IMG_20210626_184828_873 (resized).jpgIMG_20210626_184828_873 (resized).jpg
#1419 2 years ago

Updated the code last night. Played one game and it worked fine. After the game ended it stuck in attract mode. No switch's worked. Could not press start, coin mechs stopped working, service buttons stopped working. I power cycled the game and got the I/O board not found error. Continued to get the error for the next couple hours of trying to start the game until I gave up. At this point it won't boot and is therefore unplayable.

Hard to say if it is related to the update or not. Earlier in the day we were fairly busy and it was getting a lot of play. We would have to shut it off and reboot several times. Each time it took more tries to get past the "I/O not found" screen.

For those that do not have theirs yet: If this screen comes up, it will continue to boot the game and sometimes looks like everything is fine. But no buttons or switches work. Its just locked up. Other times you will have either no screen, or no insert lamps, or neither. The PB website says its a known issue to be resolved in the next update. We are to power cycle the game to resolve the issue until then.

I was assuming this new update would resolve it, but it definitely didn't. Still waiting to hear back from PB.

#1426 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, you have no recovery from this? That's a hell of a 'code issue' if so.

Just waiting to find out. But I can't say its a code update issue. Its possible it could be a coincidence. I was just reporting here to let others know and to see if anyone else had the issue, resolution, etc.

#1435 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Update on my game. After speaking with Cato, he thinks I have a bad I/O board #6 underneath the playfield near the APC targets. We tried replacing the cat-5e cable going from that board to the playfield controller and still doesn’t work right. Sad thing about this BS is that there are no boards available until next week. So hopefully they send one out next week but probably several weeks before I see anything. Pretty disappointed in a $8K purchase.

does that mean you are a point where your game will not fully boot either? As in... You can't play a game?

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

well - I've been playing this game for about a week (dedicated) and I can confidently say that Pinball Brothers did it. We have a new more refined alien pinball machine for a fantastic price. For those that don't like to tinker at all with your machines however, be prepared to be frustrated upon unboxing. From my experience, I had multiple "issues" when I unboxed which I was able to resolve myself but I must state that they were there, and many others have experienced them too (NIB owners). Good news is that thus far, it was an initial group of challenges that were minor, no doubt and I have been playing trouble free since then.
See my impressions below. I've owned 3 OG aliens before and played this game a ton so I know what to expect. This game is still my absolute favorite and PB's updates makes it even better.
-love that new backbox. Great art and the lighting is very nice. High quality for sure. Chrome trim is also very nice. Still not a huge fan of the silver around the cab itself but that's what powder is for. Art on the cab is nice too - not low quality at all.
- The game is def brighter. everywhere. Insert lights, by the flippers, Much brighter than OG however it's still dark and keeps that great vibe.
- Playfield quality is very nice. OG had a great PF too and it was nice to see this one come high quality too.
- The sound on OG was incredible and I'm happy to report it's equally represented here as well however you NEED an external sub. Big time diff when I added that.
- Flipper strength is good, however my OG felt stronger (even too strong). Not sure the flipper strength adjustments work well though on the current code. They should look into that
- Pop bumpers are much more effective than my OGs. They pop like old school williams. Huge upgrade from my experience. Also the open egg pop bumper works on this version
- LOVE the new magnet on the top right along with the additional scoop entrance (which leads to additional strategy when shooting) and the hard lock. These are all great additions.
- Playfield speed/feel is very good. OG was very good as well - feels just like it.
- Beacons (or lack there of) is a bummer. Very cool on OG and really needs to be figured out on how to hook up. Mine are ready! Also no side art is a bummer too but I'm sure those will be coming (and lit as well).
- stand up targets feel great and appear to be more durable than OG.
- The screen on the head is very nice. Bigger than stern but not as big as JJP. Any smaller, it would have been bad but the current size is fine. The lack of PF screen was actually better than I thought too. It made me look at the main screen since it was no longer a redundant screen (ala OG). During alien mb it actually made me feel much more pressured b/c I had to occasionally look up to see the screen vs always having that in front of me. This led to having the feeling where in the movie they had to look at the actual bugs on the radar screen and then shoot just like I'm now doing in the pinball game (looking at the screen on the head unit and then back down to make my shots). Very cool.
- Absolutely hate the lockdown bar this game has. Prob the worse one I've ever seen.
- I believe there is some new game over music too. Music on this pin in general is some of the best, if not the best in pinball.
- underneath the playfield is absolutely stunning and streamlined. Great job PB.
- I've said this many times before, but nicest ramps in pinball ever. Gorgeous in person.
- Mylar your scoop and shooter asap!
- Apron is better than before - just needs something on the left side. I'm thinking a sticker or something along those lines.
- material used on the sling shot bugs is stronger and more durable. I could tell by touching them. OG they would break apart. Nice to see that update made here.
- Xeno tongue works well however upon startup, the tongue comes out much slower and grinds. Doesn't happen during normal play though. OG it would boot up and act the same (as in normal gameplay).
Some fixes I applied to mine:
1) Both scoop and saucer needed to be adjusted. I ended up using some velcro tape and added it to both. The left saucer now kicks out very smooth to top left flipper where before it was a mess - didnt line up at all. The scoop was shooting to far to the left but the velcro trick helped resolve that as well. I just applied a piece underneath the scoop on the left side and its better. For the saucer I applied it against the left rail. See pics below. You can't see either from the players perspective.
2) Xeno had an error when I initially started up. I ended up resolving by going into the test menu and running calibration
3) Left flipper wire broke off - didn't work. Had to solder that back]
4) Ball trough - mine would get jammed (coil release would stick up) restricting the next ball from being released. I greased it a little and no more issues.
5) Turn around ramp - I had to bend mine down a little otherwise I was getting a ball stuck in there.
For this price in this insane market, this game is a steal. Will I sell mine for the collectors when that is released - hell yes. But that's b/c this game is my fav and I now know PB is not joking around. Happy to have alien back and happy to see many others will be able to enjoy this unbelievable game. Whether it's the OG (which is a great experience as well) or PBs, this game need to be experienced by the community. It's one of the best.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. I knew what I entered into and am patiently waiting for the fix. Indiana Jones is the perfect game to have next to it. I think they are very similar in an odd way. Indian Jones is my favorite pin. Alien is my second favorite. Mine are not together right now, but they are only 4 pins away in the same row... Lol.

#1472 2 years ago

UPDATE: there are three USB lines that go from the backbox monitor/computer to a box under the playfield. USB2 and USB3 were swapped. After correcting I can boot and play! Customer service has been great so far. Cato is on the ball.

#1477 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've been having increasingly frequent issues where most of my playfield locks up. Switches stop responding, lights lock on in wrong colors, and the whole game just stops working (except flippers, slings, etc). Reboot is the only way to fix it. Tried replacing that black ethernet cable people mentioned but no dice and no word from PB about it yet Poor Cato is trying his best but I think he needs help.... I've submitted about 18 tickets at this point documenting various issues and bugs I've noticed and only gotten responses to maybe 5.

I strongly suggest you take a look at USB1, 2 and 3. Take three small pieces of tape and label them 1, 2, 3. Wrap them on the end of the corresponding USB cable under the back box monitor so you know where they came from. Then you can remove them with no worries. Cut off the zip ties that bind them together and follow them to the other end. Are they plugged in to the corresponding ports on the box? Mine were not. I was able to play games for several days but it got increasingly worse until one day it was unplayable. Its worth a look. Its an easy step to take and you will have to rule it out at one point anyway. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20210702-085130 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210702-085130 (resized).png
#1482 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'm not exactly sure what you're describing... Are you saying one of your USB cables wasn't actually plugged into the box under the playfield? Or just that they were mismatched, and it's important that USB 1 in the head goes to USB 1 on the playfield, etc?

They were mismatched. For me the LCD end of #2 was plugged in box #3, and the LCD #3 was plugged into box #2. I just had to swap them so it is 2-2 and 3-3.

Sorry it is confusing to write.

#1494 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Okay, that makes sense! I tried to trace all the wires through, but, how do I tell which is 1 and which is 2 on the backbox box? The diagram just points to the group of two ports and says USB 1+2, and there's no labels on the actual machine. Are you assuming they're in the same order listed (so the higher up one on the diagram is #1)?

I was on the old code almost every time. With the new code it hasn't missed one yet

Yes, the ports are in the order listed. #1 is closest to the monitor, #2 is behind it

1 month later
#1888 2 years ago

I have been having issues with the game malfunctioning and locking up when I hit the scoop, MU/TH/UR eject hole or hyper sleep lock during game play. It happens quite often. Usually cant get more than a few games in before it happens. For any of you that are experiencing this issue, I am beta testing a new firmware update today that is supposed to help with this (already on 2.2A). I have described the situations to PB and they were able to duplicate the errors on their end, promting this firmware update. Lets hope this gets us all closer to the goal. I know it has been said a million times but these guys are responsive and are working it (seems like 24/7).

FWIW... Mine is on location and gets a lot of play that varies from the home the environment and is powered on 6 days a week for 8-10 hours/day.

2 weeks later
#2166 2 years ago

There is a first for everything... I've never seen a flipper bat just shatter apart on a new game so bad. Had to remove the assembly under the playfield to swap in a new flipper. It was that or remove the ramp. The assembly was quicker.

IMG_20210827_164718_661 (resized).jpgIMG_20210827_164718_661 (resized).jpgIMG_20210827_164740_817 (resized).jpgIMG_20210827_164740_817 (resized).jpgIMG_20210827_164755_131 (resized).jpgIMG_20210827_164755_131 (resized).jpg
#2169 2 years ago

Wow, I wasn't going to tell them either, but now I should mention it too.

#2188 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

how many plays? Lots of dimples already too i see

I'm not at the shop to check, but I'm guessing more than most people on this forum thread. Its on location and is played 6 days a week. I'm used to dimples from every manufacturer, it doesn't bother me.

#2198 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

You are the person I want to hear from! Is you location a pay to play everytime or one price free play location.
Has it been reliable? Stuck ball problems? How often are you pulling the glass?

Pay per play. I am an early adopter/guinea pig. Reliable has definitely not been the word, but its getting there with work and coordination with PB and this group. I rarely ever pull the glass from normal stuck ball situations.

1 week later
#2407 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Do you actually own one? If not I guess you’ll be spending your money elsewhere. See ya

Same question... Did you buy one @optimiser? If not WTF are you talking about? If any of us early adopters have issues that is for us to decide. Many of us got in early for a reason dude.

1 week later
#2698 2 years ago

One of my customers made it to "All Out War" a week or so ago. It was pretty awesome to witness. I got video, but don't want to be a spoiler for those that like to witness it for the first during their own game. I will have to say, I wish there was more going on with the screen. It pretty much just displays the same wording the whole time.

#2711 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Fun fact: I got to All out War at your place when you had the original. It was awesome.
You never put my initials on your site when you were doing that. I was kinda bummed.
Work is sending me your way again soon. Excited to get some more time on Alien.

Ha, I do not recall that at all. We stopped putting the scores on our site because I could not keep up with it. Well, you need to do it again when you come back! And introduce yourself when you are in so we can chat.

2 months later
#4300 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

New owner here. Loving the game so far but having an issue with the flippers. Not the sticky issue I’ve seen. When the ball shoots out of the airlock and hits the left flipper - if I am holding that flipper up, it drops down when hit, as if the hold power isn’t strong enough.
It happens to the right flipper also if a ball hits it directly with some power.
Has anyone else had this issue and can anyone suggest a solution?

Check the leaf switch at the button. Very weak metal. Make sure they are making proper contact.

Edit:
After rereading your post, this may not be your issue.

#4301 2 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Check the leaf switch at the button. Very weak metal. Make sure they are making proper contact.

After rereading your post this may not be this issue.

1 week later
#4490 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Hey all,
Really excited as I just joined the club! Bought a HUO Standard version from my buddy, and can't wait to start playing.
However, as we were getting it packed up for transport, I had a small issue. As I lowered the head, the LH side cable group snagged on the back of the playfield, and pulled all the connections out.
The HDMI is easy enough to tell, but there were 3 USB connectors that came loose. Unfortunately, the cables and connectors aren't labeled, so I have no idea where they go.
I've included a couple pics. Anyone able to help me figure out which one plugs in where?
Thanks,
EV

Cato set me this a while ago. Having the correct USB ports is important. See diagram. Mine came wired wrong and it caused issues to the point where it would not boot.

c8efd1b880d1d9a62b478c8eead6d9ebaaf9b61f (resized).pngc8efd1b880d1d9a62b478c8eead6d9ebaaf9b61f (resized).png

#4491 2 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Cato set me this a while ago. Having the correct USB ports is important. See diagram. Mine came wired wrong and it caused issues to the point where it would not boot.
[quoted image]

#4498 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

So is the top picture the source unit down in the cabinet?
If so, am I reading that right in that "USB - IN1" goes to "USB 1" in the head, "USB - IN2" goes to "USB 2" and so on?
Thanks,
EV

Yes, USB 1 from your backbox monitor will go to the USB IN1 port in the black box in the cabinet. 2-2, 3-3. There is no 4.

You will probably have to cut the zip ties to properly trace them.

4 months later
#7022 2 years ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

It's been an active arcade repair weekend...Between my jealous Ghostbuster stern machine, and my other arcade games - its a fixit weekend for sure...hahah
I have the following remaining Alien LV problem (good news, most other problems have been resolved)
It seems there is a 'weak' ball launch.
Some have suggested that I 'adjust the metal' ball launch area, by bending parts, but I don't think that is the issue.  It seems the launch is getting 'tired', especially during multi-ball modes (ex: ambush)
Examples:
I have attempted a 20% and 50% increase in auto launch...I am seeing inconsistent results, but the 50% increase seemed to help for a bit (maybe 2 hours) then it seems to have the same sluggishness.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Hope everyone is having or had a great Easter Holiday.

Check the coil bracket. Make sure it is aligned properly. I think it's held on by 3 screws. Make sure it is firing straight and not crooked. Also check to make sure the plunger is moving freely. If not loosen the coil itself (2 screws) and reposition.

1 month later
#7742 1 year ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Anyone had an issue where the game gets stuck on this screen when starting the game? Volume goes up and down 1 point non stop and game doesn’t load
[quoted image]

I have had this issue for months. Literally months. They told me to check the cables and fuses. Did that and didn't work. I bought new cables and it didn't work. They sent me cables and still didn't fix. They sent me a new controller box for the cabinet and still didn't fix. They sent me every new board for under the playfield, a new computer in the backbox, another new controller box, a new wire harness set. It worked for 2 days and it came back. I have since received a new motherboard, but that has not helped.

I still get the volume flicker. I am one of the early adopters from the first shipment. I have had the game for almost a year. It has been playable on a and off for a few weeks here and there.

I am ready to throw in the towel, but Cointaker said they don't offer refunds or exchanges and to take it up with PB.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7755 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Okay..that there..not okay. What's left to replace at this point??

Before I swapped all the boards under the playfield, the first controller box, the backbox computer, and the cables the issue was that it would lock-up on boot. Black screen and GI's only. This was not the usual occasional black screen issue that is common, it was more serious. Then they sent all the new stuff that I installed and it was playable for a couple days. It locked up on a customer and upon reboot I got the volume flickering. I have spent countless hours trying to rule out parts since I have two to three of just about everything. Oddly I narrowed it down to the RAM or SSD (so I thought). They sent me a whole new motherboard (that would make three at this point). But the flickering remained. So I did not, in fact, narrow it down.

I tried swapping the Audio Amplifier board this morning and noticed they forgot to install the connector cable in the new box. Using the old board with the old cable did not work for the flickering, but it cleared up a nasty crackle in the speakers while it attempts to boot. Next I tried the old router box (that is what I am calling it) that is screwed to the bottom of the cabinet- no change. I also have 3 controller boxes that I have swapped and none change the status.

I found that the wires in the connector that come from the tilt mech were never really crimped properly and after plugging and unplugging a handful of times they just fell out. So I fixed that, but I was not expecting it to do anything for the problem at hand.

I'm going to be going through the 2 wire harnesses next to see if there are any loose/poorly crimped wires.

The response from Melissa was petty at best. It was the quickest email I have ever received from them and not even something like, "sorry you have had such a poor experience." Just a few quick sentences to wash her hands of the situation.

I have yet to hear back from PB yet, but it has only been a few days since I told them the newest part didn't help. It was just Friday. I am confident they will respond, but I am not feeling confident that they actually know what is going on. Seems like they are just throwing parts at an unknown.

To be continued....

EDIT : to answer your question directly, the only part not replaced other than the cabinet and playfield and mechs is the power supply.

#7758 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Yeesh this sounds like a mess, sorry youre going through this brotha
Could a faulty power supply not have a hand in all that other weirdness? Seems like the only common denominator left..

I find it hard to believe it would be that, but who knows. They asked me to try and "rebuild the machine" using a USB to interrupt the booting and to factory reinstall the software, but not even that works. It does not interrupt the boot. I can manually interrupt by pressing F8 and using the prompt to boot from USB, but that does not work either.

#7767 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

totally agree at this point PBros is upside down on profit, now just do the right thing and get this man a new machine.

I am waiting for a reply from PB on this. I asked for a new machine or a refund. I have the ability to professionally pallet wrap and send everything back to Cointaker. They can spend time helping Cointaker fixing it with all of the spare parts. Melissa can then gain an education in helping others fix the game and not brushing off her customers (or learn what its like to spend countless hours f'ng with a machine that will not work for some reason). It's a win for everyone.

In the meantime there are a couple people throwing me advise via DM that I am actively trying. Thanks to this forum we have a community of help.

#7775 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

I would take PBros customer service over Chevy customer service any day of the week

Not if you were in my drivers seat.

By the way most of the companies do play test the games. If you look there usually are dimples on the playfield when they arrive. There are definitely pictures and video of Spooky employees play testing. I have seen pics of Stern play testers too. My Alien had dimples when it arrived.

I am not looking to argue, just pointing out something I know to be true.

Responding to service tickets is great, I give PB all the credit in the world for responding. Blindly sending out parts just to make people happy and string things along is not really customer service. Understanding the nature of the problem and resolving it swiftly and accurately is good customer service.

#7779 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Mine did not, and neither did my R&M. I can tell you for certain that not all games get play tested simply based on some of the issues that you see out of the box. They may play test a few here and there randomly, but I think the majority just get powered up and that's about it.

Both my Alien and R+M did... LOL, but I imagine there is a mix based on timing of current issues, production time lines, etc. I suppose there is no way every single game can be tested when rushing production.

#7783 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I am curious really if you have replaced 100% of the parts in the game? What is there left to swap out?
Have any electrical issues been discarded? Is everything grounded correctly?

According to PB they are hell bent that it's a connection issue. Grounding has never come up. That's a legitimate question. The ground braid seems to be connected properly. The boards are not like old school Bally, Williams, Gottlieb and Stern, but the screws apparently act as ground on most of the boards.

I have been trying to rule out faulty soldering connections that could cause shorts or possible no connection at all. My 8 year old daughter has been learning to solder and does a cleaner job.

This is just some of the handy work. The pins were left long on many of the solder points. I was thinking maybe they were making a connection to the box since they were almost as long as the standoffs. I cut them as they should be, before reinstalling.

PXL_20220523_234116160 (resized).jpgPXL_20220523_234116160 (resized).jpgPXL_20220523_234132277 (resized).jpgPXL_20220523_234132277 (resized).jpgPXL_20220524_011051114 (resized).jpgPXL_20220524_011051114 (resized).jpg

#7785 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Looks like a little dried flux on there? Not really much to indicate that it wouldnt be sending signal, at least from a visual inspection

Not so much that it was not a solid solder connection, more that there may be sloppy solder that made inadvertent connections. But mostly melted/burned board and scrapes and scratches with a lot of flux on one of them. I did not see any signs of inadvertent connections of solder. Not exactly a professional job none the less. For those that have not had the luxury to get at these boards, its not a quick or fun process.

#7787 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Hmm yeah, while I see whay you mean it doesnt look like something that could cause the issues youre describing.

Seriously!?! I will let Pinball Brothers know they have a candidate for the service department. I appreciate you and your six pinball machine knowledge.

I'm gonna go back to private messages for a while. There is nothing to see here, everything is dandy in PB land. Good luck everyone.

Cheers!

#7797 1 year ago

Just got off a long video call with Andrea from PB. He had me recheck every connection that I had tried many times, and swap most of the boxes and boards I had already tried, none of this helped. He was feeling as frustrated as I was and we were just about to break from the call and take a day to reevaluate the situation when he threw out one last effort. After ruling out many parts, he unplugged three cables from the back of the 'cabinet' controller box on his game and was able to recreate the flickering. He then re-plugged in one cable at a time (powering off between) until the issue went away. It was narrowed down to two cables. We ruled the ethernet cable out because I had tried three different ones already. So, I checking the continuity on the other wire harness (I did not have an extra) with my multimeter and it was fine. So, not the cables.

I had already tried swapping the box itself, but we tried one more time.... It worked! WTF!?! Game booted. I have 1 bad cabinet controller box and 1 faulty one.

He is sending me a new cabinet controller box. Now I have to turn it off, properly secure the box, clean-up the cables, and try powering it back on. I definitely have a better understanding of the inner working of this game. I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

I will say, Andrea cares about what he does. He is trying very hard to make things work for everyone.

#7801 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

That's a positive update drypaint ...I would echo the sentiment on Andrea - he's been a great resource. Just sent me a custom video to fine tune the Xeno head that I'm currently reviewing.

I have not even cared to address the xeno head, but when I have everything situated, I would love that video.

#7809 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So yours had a bad box, and the replacement they sent you is wonky? Those are some bad odds man!!

Some bad odds with some long hours to figure it out again. Sheesh. Don't wish that on anyone.

#7811 1 year ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Same outcome for me. Same video call, and same replacement box coming my way. Hopefully this fixes the issue!

Thanks for chatting with me off to the side on this one buddy!

#7851 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

My machine is back up and running strong.
During game play I lost flipper power, after reboot, start, launch and coin door lights didn't work and volume would be stuck and flittering on the screen during boot up and about 2 minutes later game would look booted up but start coin door lights and launch were still out.
Ended up being the controller/power box mounted under the playfield blew a 48V transistor in the 2nd pic.
The new controller box they sent is a redesign without it. First pic.
If you need to get the game up and running fast you can modify the transistor. 3rd pic.
Installed and game booted perfectly but the sound was distorted.
I was instructed to go into the new box and remove a cable and that made the sound perfect.
https://pinballbrothers.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/80000807747--003-fix-distorted-sound
Putting this out there for anyone that got an early machine like mine. I was number 50 from Cointaker.
[quoted image]

DUDE, huge thanks!!! This link solved my new sound issue that started after we fixed the other issue. Now if I can keep it from shutting down on its own after being idle for around 10 minutes.

EDIT:
(SV from the first run of 20(+/-) machines, running code 2.6, frankensteined with original and new revision parts)

#7853 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think people posting issues should also post their SV/LV and version status because while things 'should' be getting better with new versions, since they split the hardware/firmware, that is always prone to introducing new bugs.
To address Deebo's comment, when people say 'mine is fine' it's to tell the person reporting that it isn't an across the board issue and may not be known, not to blow it off. We don't know the technical level of anyone here unless you know each other personally. We can offer advice, but let's be real, these newer games are not always as easy to diagnose as the 30 year old games since we don't get any schematics, etc. I noticed the same issues on R&M where everyone had completely different / inconsistent experiences on the same exact version/hardware. Drove people nuts.
For instance my game doesn't have any issues with the orbit pop ups while clearly many do.
I also have not witnessed any lock ups on 2.6, but it could simply be I haven't triggered whatever may be causing it.
Some don't have issues with their Xeno magnet, I have pretty much constant issues with it.
And that is just a few items of note.
Overall I have not had enough issues to regret the purchase at all, but everyone's patience is different.

Updated above...

#7878 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

Also to add I still get the bug from time to time of the screen going black when powering up the game.
What will happen -
- Game boots, you see the linux code on the backbox and the airlock screen
- Game never boots to blue service screen before going to attraction mode
It's a known PB issue and the current work around is to power off again and power back on to see if it boots normally. My record so far is I had to do it 6 times before being on.

There is a quick fix for this without powering off the machine, but you have to remove the backglass:

1.) Remove backglass
2.) Slightly unplug the HDMI cable on the far left under the monitor.
3.) Plug it right back in

The screen will come back on. I suggest not unplugging it too far, so you don't have to fumble to fing the hole again.

Andrea had me do this and it has works everytime.

#7879 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

So, my list of tweaks/bugs & notes so far software wise after playing for a few weeks now:
2 lock up crashes - anyway to provide logs ??
Bugs/ Software feature tweaks
- 2 balls drained together in sentry guns down left left outlane when ball save was on. only gave 1 ball back and ended mode
- Ball drained left left outlane on sentry guns lite was lit for save didn’t save and ended mode
- Inner left orbit shot misses shots if very fast shot especially on super jackpot but also on 3rd arrow shot for modes - maybe firmware update needed or software bug?
- Chest burster shot doesn’t always award lifecycle even on easy seems abit random and direction of ball upwards doesn’t always award it .
- Upper right magnet doesn’t always catch ball for hyper sleep lock helper
- Centre magnet catch for alien is hit and miss (already mentioned alot by the other owners and fixes already in works)
- No flipper press to speed up /cancel animations
- No lane change (mentioned that was designed intentionally this way, maybe add adjustment option or expand lane change rules??)
- ‘Not bad for a human animation ‘ on low scores? Thought would be only used on Grand Champ and HS entry scores
- Improve the info shown on the mini display. Seems to just be showing closed airlock doors for quite long periods on the game. (unless i am just not looking at it when i should be!) Was expecting more info on what things are needed to complete features etc and more info during modes etc
Other things/Ideas
- Jurassic Park Nedry ‘ah ah ah’ quote on tilt warning is cool and a nice easter Egg
- Adding a bonus/extra feature/speech quote for left ramp, right ramp and then airlock scoop in a row (to start mode) would be nice. Extra award etc

When the issue occurs, take backglass off, insert a USB stick, go to menu>Reports>Debug Report

Send the file to PB using the ticket system

#7880 1 year ago

My machine was powering itself down when in idle or during game. Did not take long after game was booted. I would have to wait for minutes to much longer before I could re-power back on.

I had a feeling it may be thermal and felt the back of the backbox computer and it was hot.

If you have been forced to open up the backbox computer/monitor you could inadvertently cause this, I did.

Here is the fix... There are two cables that connect from the ITX board (computer) to the monitor. One or both will want to route themselves in front of the fan. One or both should be zip tied to make sure they don't pass in front. I did not make sure they were zip tied clean enough (mainly because I had to keep going in and out of the darn thing and you have to cut the zip tie each time). Nonetheless, one or both of the thick wires were making contact with the fan and keeping it from rotating.

It has been running for 7 hours with some good play and so far, so good.

#7890 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

Good to know. Problem is we shouldn't have to unplug and replug in to get it to work let alone powerdown/up.

I know and agree, I was just providing some information.

Quoted from Manny65:

Is reseating the HDMI cable being done while the system is powered on?

Yes, while it is on.

#7931 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I had freezing issues when I got mine last year, it was an mITX failure. They sent me a new board and I replaced it in the computer box behind the monitor. It hasn't frozen since and I don't get the black screen on boot anymore either. I wonder if your problem may be the same?

I suppose anything is possible, but I have 3 ITX boards and I get the black screen on all of them. I suspect it has something to do with the HDMI compatibility as someone mentioned above. I was chatting with Andrea yesterday. Not so much about this issue, but he brought up the black screen and he thinks they are very close to nailing down the underlying issue.

Edit... The black screen is fixable by unplugging a cable and replugging it in, while still powered on. That pretty much rules out the ITX as bad

#7933 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

That's good news about the black screen fix but I was mainly referring to the freezing issue in regard to the mitx. The customer support has been great so I'm sure most everything will get sorted out eventually.
Something else unrelated but has anyone else seen the Playfield artwork coming up in any areas? I've seen this spot by the third flipper continue to keep getting worse.
[quoted image]

Is that melting or clear pooling? I can't tell what it is.

#7976 1 year ago
Quoted from grahamharley:

i am on 2.6 and have a LV. I get an occasional blank screen at boot, but power down and wait a few seconds
tonight during the start up sequence the volume screen came up with the number 6 and the flippers would activate on there own and flip several times. Once they stopped moving the screen would still be on volume 6(the six almost looked like it was trying to change)
the game was dead other than the screen showing volume 6 and the flippers working when pressed.
not sure if anyone has had this happen

Quoted from Manny65:

While slightly different it's worth checking your fuses & reseating cables as per PB's service note https://pinballbrothers.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/80000596607-volume-is-flickering-up-down
Other have reported having the screen stuck on the volume setting and have needed to get a replacement controller, so if the above doesn't fix it then best to log a support ticket with PB (can be done from the above webpage)

Take Manny65 's advise. I was plagued with this issue until Andrea and I solved it. Open a ticket.

In the meantime, try this:
Check all the cable connections on your playfield controller box, just for piece of mind. The real place to look though, is the cabinet controller box. Check the USB and ethernet cable connection at the back left of the cabinet controller box. Follow those cables to the front of the playfield controller box and make sure they are making good connections on both ends. If this still does not help, it may be inside your cabinet controller box. That would be for you and Andrea to work through. Hope its up and running swiftly.

#7977 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Has anyone encountered flakey audio sometimes on boot. A power cycle or two on mine resolves the issue. Is there a fix for this as it's kind of annoying.
I'm on code 2.4 for reference.

Are you talking about the crackling that comes from the speaker during bootup, but then goes away? Or is the sound still flakey and crunchy after it boots up and is playable?

Also, are you a new run game or one of the older/early run games?

#7980 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

My build date is 11/21 and the sound stays crunchy while I play.

You need to remove the Amplifier cable from either the box that has LCD screen (in backbox) or the playfield controller. They each have this cable. Only remove one of them, not both (or you will lose sound). Someone posted pictures of this a few pages back. He removed it from the controller box. If i have time tomorrow I will take pictures.

Has something to do with a newer update. PB says to save the connector in case you need it again.

#8004 1 year ago

Wow, that was fast. I have been on the beta 2.7 for a few days now in the arcade and it has been playing great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drypaint.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=drypaint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.