b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12370 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Alrighty… I’m going to be that guy. Looking at getting an Alien LV NIB. Have one ready to pay for just have to send the money.
Looking through the thread seems like there’s quite a few misc problems but all seem to be easy fixes and pinball brothers has good customer support. Just want to confirm I guess that’s the case with this.
I’ve been trying to source R&M and WoZ and honestly I feel like buying used and overpriced I might as well just get something new, different and fun.
Never played a new wide body but that doesn’t seem to be a big deal.
Other main question, I really really really want to be able to play this with the volume up and the lights off…. Is this a good pin for that?
I’m just barely slightly above average at pinball. I just want to immerse myself in the theme for 30-60 minutes and have fun.
Thanks in advance!

Assuming the game "feels" the same as the Heighway version, it's a truly unique experience unlike any other pinball machine. Playing with the lights off and volume up is the best way to play this game. You aren't making shots because it's fun or some cute video plays - you are making shots to literally save lives (including your own). The software/sounds/video do a remarkable job of conveying the palpable tension of being part of the story. It's tremendous fun.

I owned the Heighway version and like many others, it was hard to fully enjoy it without worrying something was going to break. I'm excited to say that I just purchased the PB version and will be receiving my game soon.

I haven't followed this thread so I'm not sure what to expect difference-wise, I just know I really missed the game after it was gone.

2 weeks later
#12729 1 year ago
Quoted from JustAnotherYoyo:

After another 3+ hours of tech support with Pinball Brothers (Shawn) and a couple more hours of fixing stuff (as per Shawn's instructions), I am happy (and relieved) to have played my FIRST fully working game of Alien about 5 minutes ago.
I feel like an absolute, complete idiot as 2 of the problems were not Pinball Brothers fault at all. It seems 2 Mezel Mods that I had bought and installed were interfering with the game mechanics.
Mezel Mods: ALIEN PINBALL HYPER SLEEP CHAMBER- I very carefully installed this, however it seemed that a TINY piece of overhang from the front piece was catching on the top of the rear (larger) piece of the mod, thereby not allowing the lift to fully lower (like a 1-2mm difference) and was screwing up the opto's in regards to the lock being up or down. The front piece can not be mounted straight as per Mezel's instructions. 100% "my" fault.
Mezel Mods: ALIEN PINBALL APC TARGET ILLUMINATION- I had installed this mod without a second thought (as I have installed illuminated clear drop targets on a few other (Stern/ Spooky) machines with no problems). Guess what. Absolutely incompatible with the optos on the Alien machine. The optos simply cannot sense the clear drop targets at all. Once I switched them back to stock, they worked first time. They also work with the Illumination aspect still operating. Again, 100% "my" fault.
We even got the Alien head 90+% working, in that the jaw is properly opening and closing and the magnetic rod is now expanding and retracting to grab the ball, however, it did have difficulty releasing it. But it eventually did and I could continue playing and finishing a game.
Considering I publicly criticized Pinball Brothers on this thread yesterday, I feel morally obligated, to publicly admit my fault in this and publicly apologize to them. Shawn's patience in helping me was amazing and once we realized that it was a mod, he didn't even get angry or express anything but understanding. To say that I was embarrassed (and angry at myself) would be an understatement.
I also want to thank the members here who help out and am REALLY looking forward to finally getting to play this game properly.
I will also be notifying Mezel Mods regarding the incompatibility with the mods, so hopefully nobody else has to experience these issues.

Thanks for this - I have both of those mods waiting to install. I'll pain the fins as Lamoraldus suggests and alter the sleep chamber as necessary.

1 month later
#13385 1 year ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Did you have to enlarge the shaft holes on the pinball in order to make the precision flippers work? I think I read somewhere that some user had to do that in order to get the shaft in. Thanks for info!

You do have to enlarge the bushing holes slightly. 15/32 is the US drill bit size (although I started with 7/16, then 29/64 and finally 15/32 to remove as little material as possible each time).

#13391 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I did not have to do this, please don't say that everyone does , maybe there are different sizes or tolerances of bushings out there, maybe some are worn more than others.

The hole has to be 15/32 for the precision bushings. If some games are out there with holes that are that size or larger, great - no drilling required.

#13400 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

I would not recommend this. Very easy to damage/chip the clear surrounding the hole this way.
It may take a little longer, but a dremel or dowel wrapped in sandpaper is the way to go.

That's a bit of an overstatement - I could have used a dremel or sandpaper wrapped dowel, but neither of those will produce a perfectly round hole. The clear is still relatively soft on my game so chipping wasn't a concern. I rotated a 7/16 bit by hand and was able to easily remove the excess clear before I used a powered drill. I obtained very clean perfectly round holes using incrementally sized drill bits on all 4 holes.

But YMMV - use whatever method you feel is the safest. Regardless of your method, 15/32 is what your final hole size needs to be.

#13409 1 year ago

I like the Mezel Mods trusses but they were a bit too monotone for me. First I added some aging (bottom truss is original color):

D3624811-8DD2-4BCA-8D39-51E1B498D8F7 (resized).jpegD3624811-8DD2-4BCA-8D39-51E1B498D8F7 (resized).jpeg

Then I had a little fun and added some acid to match the acid on the Evolution apron:

12094C97-E3CC-4790-9D48-823702C2CAEF (resized).jpeg12094C97-E3CC-4790-9D48-823702C2CAEF (resized).jpeg

#13412 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Looks awesome. How's the fitment of those? I have seen mixed reviews.

It's finicky - the instructions are old and refer to torx screws which are no longer used on the newer games. The natural inclination is to use the washer on top of the connectors when it really needs to go on the bottom. The connectors are super tight too because the screw heads are taller than the old torx heads. But once you get all that figured out, it fits nice and tight.

D1FB20CC-5FD3-4279-A195-686FB07024F3 (resized).jpegD1FB20CC-5FD3-4279-A195-686FB07024F3 (resized).jpeg

#13425 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

I think I'm going to go for it. Not sure how you painted the aged effect but after seeing what you did I have to try.

It's just a black wash. Paint on a water based black paint and wipe it off with a paper towel.

#13427 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

I unboxed my Alien LV yesterday. It went pretty well. The only major issue I uncovered was that the playfield glass had a really poor fit and it nearly fell into the cab (I got it wedged with the top of the glass below the trim at the top of the rail). Is this just my game or are others seeing this too? The glass was also very thin compared to my other sheets.

My glass is exactly the same - it fits so loosely that it sometimes drops out of one of the channels and just barely hangs on the edge of the cabinet side.

I don't know what to do other than order a new glass from a local glass company that's slightly wider.

#13494 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Sorry to sound totally dumb (I definitely am when it comes to anything electrical), but just to be clear, you simply tapped off the power to the internal psu with that Y splitter, then added a regular power strip/board (with usb outputs) inside the cab? If so did you need a mains socket adapter like this one (imagine its for a US plug, not an Australian one):
https://www.jaycar.com.au/iec-c14-male-to-3pin-mains-socket-150mm/p/PS4100?gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAei1jbjFG8tOaL_xINbgiMLHKv-bWu9Rg62kBae4dq4E0mMWPGrf_bhoCwoEQAvD_BwE
Thanks!

Putting a splitter on the incoming PSU cord will result in an outlet that's always on.

It's quite easy to put a switched outlet on the game. Just cut off the male end of of an extension cord, strip the hot/neutral/ground wires, then piggyback onto the PSU hot/neutral/ground terminals.

0E1B2265-8AF9-4A34-A573-079A70B08F11 (resized).jpeg0E1B2265-8AF9-4A34-A573-079A70B08F11 (resized).jpeg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13495 1 year ago

...because you need some extra wattage for this.

DE93AE99-7817-499C-833C-CA38D7934768 (resized).jpegDE93AE99-7817-499C-833C-CA38D7934768 (resized).jpeg

#13498 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Not really clear what you got going on there. Is that backglass screen split?

Yes - the one feature I missed about the Heighway version was the playfield screen, so I mirrored the main screen on the apron to get some of that immersion back.

4D491D1D-11BF-402D-84EC-1F77ADC7D4D2 (resized).jpeg4D491D1D-11BF-402D-84EC-1F77ADC7D4D2 (resized).jpeg

#13502 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Awesome, I agree , it would be nice to have all that information in your view and I am about to do this , I have the screen and interface ready but was trying to find a good location for it. Do you find it’s in your vision enough on the apron? I was thinking it might not be any easier to look down at the apron than up at the big screen?

It's much easier to glance at than the large screen - yes. If I had the original apron, I would have centered it on the apron (although that might require a slightly smaller screen).

Quoted from epeabs:

And......how did we do that???
Getting my LV in week or two. That mod is awesome.

Thank you - it's not a mod you can buy as it requires a fair amount of disassembly to get it working. But I'd be happy to explain the process for anyone up for the challenge.

3 weeks later
#13755 1 year ago
Quoted from Itglows:

No I think you misunderstood. I mean it makes the ball travel faster. I should have been more clear

Hah - I read it the same way punkin did. "Flippers are quite a bit stronger" is what you meant - but I was confused too until you clarified.

You have to lower the flipper coil power if you want the same feel as before.

2 weeks later
#13872 1 year ago
Quoted from Hershy:

Some sort of "important" announcement is coming tomorrow from PB. their social media accounts put up a post today. Code drop perhaps?

Perhaps the XV???

#13887 12 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

There is no new model either, they squashed that at the beginning.

"There was no new model besides SV/LV planned at the beginning" might be a more accurate way to state that.

8 months later
#17264 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What about mounting it on the apron like we used to do with WoZ?

Like this?

IMG_0811 (resized).jpegIMG_0811 (resized).jpeg
#17274 3 months ago
Quoted from Hershmeister:

Genius! Please do tell how to DIY this!

My journey was a lot of trial and error so I didn't take pics or keep track of steps. I know the correct LVDS splitter to buy is the V20 version on this page:

https://geekworm.com/products/lvds-to-hdmi-adapter-board-converter-with-lvds-cable

Maybe dts can chime in with steps or pics.

#17289 3 months ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

You don't happen to have a pic of the connector plugged into the computer? I hooked up everything just like that on a couple tries in the past. I wonder if my two different capture cards just didn't like something with the signal? Going to try just hooking up a spare monitor next to see if it pics up the signal

You have to use the exact board (V20) I linked above. Other boards do not work - I tried several before I found the one that worked.

#17292 3 months ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I ordered the v20 will I need to buy the cables if so what and what little screen do you recommend
Thanks

I used this one:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Full-HD-7-Inch-1920-1080_1600279078887.html?__detailProductImg=https%3A%2F%2Fs.alicdn.com%2F%40sc04%2Fkf%2FHb3771518672b44d6babf62e4969f279a2.png_200x200.png

But you have to order 2 of them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=damonator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.