b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chopper36.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 3 years ago

I hope all of you that ordered an LV/LE get a fantastic upgrade to the SE. That would make the longer wait worth it. Personally I am #3 for an SE. I think it looks almost the same as the original and if things go according to schedule I will be able to assess weather I will buy an LV, assuming there will be any left. Either way adding a couple of mods to the SE will be ok for me. I never played the original so I won't miss the playfield screen, I don't think they are going to install it in the LV if you heard the podcast, but that does not mean you could put one on the apron.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

I totally agree... there are certain bells and whistles I want... but I'd rather get the SE and just pay for and add the ones I want. So far, the only thing I really want beyond the SE is the beacons.

I am sure there will be a lot of mods out there for us SV owners to compliment the aesthetics of this pin. To me it looks great just as it is.

4 weeks later
#285 3 years ago

Let them get the bugs out, more important to me than when it gets here. I have 4 pins to keep me busy in the meantime.

#332 3 years ago

On the new Super Pinball podcast they said that PB had a firmware issue which is now fixed.Also said Melissa will be getting 2 this week.

1 week later
#361 3 years ago

Found this on the Bradford Exchange could be possible topper

5E0FF206-30B1-49A3-8B98-2D877F33CA77 (resized).jpeg5E0FF206-30B1-49A3-8B98-2D877F33CA77 (resized).jpeg
#394 3 years ago

If you look at the flyer it states the pops change color.

#407 3 years ago

Man you guys are too much worrying about a pinball machine. I am glad I woke up today. If the pin finally shows up it will be great if not I get my deposit back and move on to the next one. Life is too short enjoy what you have.

2 months later
#661 2 years ago

Congrats ,mine gets here on Thursday.

IMG_2145 (resized).jpgIMG_2145 (resized).jpg
#707 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Here are some comments on my Day 1 w/ Alien SV.
Packing: The machine is packed very well and arrived without any damage. The legs are placed on top of some thin styrofoam sheets at the top of the box, and the styrofoam didn't really hold up (it was in lots of tiny pieces). Nothing got damaged but I think PB needs to find a better way to pack the legs.
Cabinet: The cabinet is made from 3/4" plywood with black laminate on both sides. This seems to be used on all sides of the cabinet and the backbox, and should hold up really well. The build quality is excellent. There are clear plastic leg protectors attached to the cabinet - I kind of wish they were metal but they do the job and keep the legs from touching the cabinet and digging into the decals. Some have complained about the artwork (I don't agree - I think it looks just fine) - the decals are high quality and installed professionally. There is really not a single blemish on the outside or inside of the cabinet. I checked the speaker/sub wires before raising the head and they were plugged into the correct connectors.
Playfield Bottom: The slides on the bottom of the playfield run from front to back and allow you to pull the playfield out just a little or almost all the way. The playfield also rotates and stands vertically so you don't need to rest it against the backbox when working on the bottom side. Really nice clean design, with much of the wiring being zip-tied on the upper side of the rails. The bottom of the playfield is really clean (see Retrocengo's awesome unboxing video if you haven't already). There are no exposed boards - they are all enclosed in black metal cases either on the cabinet floor, attached to the bottom rear of the playfield, or in the backbox. There are 3 fuses in one of the boxes on the cabinet floor. More later on why I know where they are located
Setup was much like any other NIB pinball machine. There were 3 screws rattling around in the cabinet - two of them from the coin mechanism (these fall out of Sterns all the time) and another from one of the light boards. I installed the balls, put the glass back on, and fired it up for the first time (on off switch is under the cabinet where it belongs, though not in the typical Bally/Williams location).
“CABINET I/O NOT FOUND. CHECK DIP SETTINGS = 0. AND USB CABLES CONNECTED"
None of the playfield lights came on. Great. So I turned it off for 10 seconds and back on and this time it booted up successfully. The Xenomorph went through its power on test and I was able to play my first game. My first few games I was just getting a feel for things. The flippers felt a bit different from your typical strong Stern flippers. The slingshots are noticeably weaker than the Stern "outlane cannons". I noticed a couple of issues within the first game or two:
1. The MUTHUR eject was bouncing balls off the ball guide and not feeding cleanly to the upper left flipper. Need to tweak the angle of the coil bracket underneath.
2. Balls can get hung up on the hyper sleep ramp as they make the U turn at the back of the playfield. Need to take the plastic off and look closer.
However, before I could look at those minor issues I ran into a more significant one. I was in the middle of a multi ball and the MUTHUR and Airlock eject coils stopped ejecting balls. They eventually got ejected by a ball search but got stuck again. Shortly later my left flippers stopped flipping. I powered off the machine and back on and could not get it to boot up cleanly. I tried 4 times, with slightly different messages on the screen. At this point I called Melissa at Cointaker and she fired off an email to PB Support. Melissa suggested reseating the connectors in the backbox so I did that as well as connectors on the black cases in the cabinet and back of playfield. Nothing seemed to be loose and it didn't get me past the boot issue.
It was already mid afternoon (i.e. evening in Europe) so I added some details to her email and assumed I wouldn't hear back from PB until the next day. Much to my surprise I got an email about an hour later with a link to sign up to the PB support site (which is powered by Freshdesk). As soon as I logged in I saw a couple of FAQ messages - one that matched the error I was seeing on the screen and indicated it was due to a specific fuse blowing. I found the fuse had blown, replaced it, and was able to get it to boot up successfully. A few minutes later I got a very lengthy email from Cato at PB support addressing everything I pointed out in my email (about 6 different items). It included an offer to do a Skype call to walk through my problem, which I didn't need cause the fuse had already fixed it. It turns out that several of the items I brought up are already known and they are in the process of fixing in a future bios update. Moral of the story - if you see the message "Volume 10" on the screen during boot up - that means replace the rightmost fuse They'll clean that all up I'm sure - pains of being an early adopter.
From that point onwards, the game was trouble free and my son and I played it all night and he has been playing it this morning too. I still have occasional issues with the MUTHUR eject that I'll look at, as well as the hyper sleep ramp hangup. I think all of my switches are working properly.
Xenomorph: So far the Xeno mech seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. The mouth opens and closes when it is supposed to and the inner magnet does what it is supposed to. The only issue, and I think this was an issue with the OG as well, is that the playfield magnet doesn't always grab the ball. If you hit a slow shot right into the center of the target it always works, but a really fast shot or one that glances off the side and doesn't roll near the magnet, gets missed. I'm not sure how this could be resolved without increasing the size/power of the magnet. I know that the TWD prison and well walker magnets work similarly and seem to be more reliable. Not sure. Anyway I think the Xeno itself is working properly.
The game is such a BLAST to play. I'm going to try and get some gameplay video this weekend. I also want to take a look at the backbox extension connector with a multimeter and see if beacons might already be supported. The bass level is really good - you can feel it on the lockdown bar - so I will probably not worry about a shaker motor anytime soon.
Let me know if you'd like pictures or videos of anything in particular. Besides gameplay - I already know about that.
EDIT: I forgot to mention the screen. I absolutely LOVE the display location and size that was chosen. It is considerably larger than a Stern display (18.5" diagonal vs. 15.5" diagonal) and I prefer it being located at the bottom of the backbox vs above the speakers as in a JJP or the OG - much easier to glance up and see things. The display is really high quality. I think this is my favorite LCD display (quality + size + location) I've seen from any manufacturer. Some may wish for a bigger display mounted higher up but this is just PERFECT in my opinion. If I could get a no-cost upgrade to a JJP style display I wouldn't do it.

Thanks for your report.

#708 2 years ago

I got mine today and had to adjust the flippers right off the bat they were touching the playfield and also had to increase the spring tension. Had 1 issue where the ball would not launch but after a power off it has not happened again. The Xeno makes a lot of noise and seems labored when extending on startup so I opened a support ticket. The center magnet has yet to grab a ball to be eaten,lol, yet. so wondering if the magnet is turning on. Waiting on support to tell me how to test the coils, does not initiate test from start or launch button. Overall I think once the bugs get figured out it will be fine. It looks and sounds great.

IMG_2150 (resized).jpgIMG_2150 (resized).jpgIMG_2151 (resized).jpgIMG_2151 (resized).jpg
#714 2 years ago

I am powder coating mine basically raw metal yuck

#743 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I didn’t have a lot of time to spend on the game until Saturday. I decided to pull the glass and look at some of the things I’d been noticing. Some notes in no particular order:
1. I had balls getting stuck on the hypersleep ramp. I pulled the plastic off the top and found that one of holes in the plastic was drilled slightly off. When attached, it torqued the ramp in a way that narrowed the top slightly and caused balls to bind. I drilled the hole a bit wider and the problem is fixed completely. PB was aware of the issue and is sending me a new corrected plastic.
2. Several of my weapon stand ups were not registering. I took them all out and adjusted them but I have to say I’m not a big fan of their design. They are transparent and have a micro switch and rgb led attached to the backing plate (the led is not currently hooked up to anything). The micro switch on half the switches doesn’t “click” anymore when pressed. I was able to get them working again but I’m not sure this is a very bulletproof design - there is a reason leaf switches have been used for so long. I’ve asked PB to send me some replacement switches for the ones that don’t click properly. Is this the same design that was used on the OG Alien? Image attached below.
3. Fixed some other minor things - bulb had fallen out of the START GAME button, the tilt switch wasn’t working due to a loose connection, I adjusted the angle of the MUTHUR kick out coil to make it a cleaner feed to the upper left flipper.
4. There are tests in the settings for BEACON and TOPPER 2. I wanted to test the “Backbox Extension Out” connector to see if those pins are wired for beacons, but there is very little space at the bottom of the PC board in the backbox. I’m going to need to order a 2x5 molex connector (think it is .062”) and build a breakout cable to be able to test properly.
5. There are obviously software glitches. I get the CABINET I/O MISSING message on power on occasionally and it sometimes takes 2 tries to boot successfully. Sometimes the MUTHUR or airlock scoops don’t detect a ball until you hit a flipper button. I’ve had two balls ejected into play by mistake. I don’t think the logic for the upper posts that divert into the pops is always working properly. Xeno playfield magnet does not seem to grab the ball as it should. FYI PB was already aware of pretty much all these things and are working on fixing them.
6. I’m getting ball trails after not very many plays, suggesting that they are using rubber and not silicone or polyurethane on their bands. Except for the flippers which are yellow. I’m going to do my usual Titan rings and Cliffy post sleeve swap. I’ll ask PB for a rubber list and share it here.
I don’t mean to sound negative by all of the above - these were all things I expected as an early adopter and I’ve reported everything to PB so they know about them and can do a better job on future builds. The game is so much fun to play - this is a dream theme for me and the immersion is off the charts. PB is proactively reaching out to me for my experience and are obviously listening to everything I tell them. I’ve asked to be a part of their beta firmware program to help test new versions of code.
Sorry no gameplay video yet. I got another toy yesterday (a 22l Ultrasonic Cleaner) and spent the evening cleaning everything I could fit in it from my Shadow tear down. Hopefully soon.
[quoted image]

Except for the ramp issue I have had the same issues, I noticed sometimes the weapons target do not register hits also. My center magnet is not working at all but will continue to trouble shoot the issue next week (out of town for this week) PB has been responsive to my issues so like Tiny I am aware that things like this would crop up but am confident will be resolved with code updates and part support. Plus we have this forum which will help us all in the future. Now who is going to make some strobe mods lol?

#798 2 years ago
Quoted from BlackFlag:

TinyBlackDog Many thanks to you !!
Hell no, ALF is not a cat, ALF eats cats !! That's the reason why we asked him a hand to find Jonesy :p
The video is (unfortunately) impossible to translate as plenty of dumb references to french movies, culture and so pop all the way, all the time !
The only "serious" things that should make sense for non french people are the explanation of the rules as missions comes up, the overall rating from my friend Julien who made the video, and the thanks mentions to the french distributor (France Flipper) and my friend Cato Paus Skrede (PB lead programmer) for his help and patience
Concerning my MUTHUR lane kick, it used to be much powered until a screw became really lose and fell into the cab. Since i re-tight everything it became smoother. Maybe your have not a perfect alignement between coil and plunger ? and with coil power it blocks until a sudden release when a certain spot is reached ?? ... or mine is too underpowered ?
Now, heres the other adjustments done on my machine :
Right + Left Flip = +10%
Upper Right Flip = +25% (as the Hypersleep ramp is pain to climb!)
Upper left Flip = Factory default to avoid drop targets destruction.
Lowered the kicker to -5% as sometimes the ball pulls out like hurricane.
Now, concerning the up posts by the bumpers, we have the same feeling here. It seems they don't always come out but not easy to check while playing.
I bet on a code issue for that.
My main issues are/been :
Random Xeno initialization scheme
Random Xeno work : sometimes i feel like the xeno and the magnet are not working synchronioulsy
Lock 1 (opto) in Hypersleep chamber not perfectly aligned, now Opto 1 is fine but move to opto 3 (certainly after after re-assemblig the ramp)
Sometimes a ball step between reserve and shooting lane, due to the small plastic part which preserve the playfield but just shaking smoothly the machine pull the ball either back inside or in the lane.
And rarely randomly either the machine don't notice the (last) ball is drained or on the opposite consider you've lost the last ball then shut down flip and ... "You failed" ! :p

I had to lower my left flipper the ball would fly through the horseshoe and miss the return rail.

2 weeks later
#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Any updates from the ones who got machines already? Playing better? Replacement switches doing the job? Having some anxiety from people posting the game still has issues. I hope these get fixed.

The replacement switches are working fine for now. There are still some software issues that they are working on. Was told a beta will be ready by next week or earlier. Love the game, will be better when the issues are fixed. Took all the armor off today for a new coat of powder coating so probably be down for a few days. I have been trying to play it a lot to find problems. So far only about 4-6 that need to be fixed that I have made note of and reported to PB. I will post some pics when the powder coating is done, also getting some voodoo glass, Cointaker is getting some widebody glass in this week. Hopefully by the time you get your game most of this stuff will be taken care of but keep your tools handy.

3 weeks later
#1209 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

I also replaced the puny bulb that was in the Launch Ball button with a nice bright 2-LED bulb. Wayyy better!
Question: Can someone tell me where the key for the backbox is? I have the keys for the coin door, but I see no keys for the backbox. Did they forget to include?

Check the coindoor mine were hanging there.

1 week later
#1414 2 years ago

Gave mine a new look with some color.

IMG_2222 (resized).jpgIMG_2222 (resized).jpgIMG_2223 (resized).jpgIMG_2223 (resized).jpg
#1416 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Cool! Now also do the chrome trim in green

Would love to but I am afraid of damaging it during removal I will wait until someone else does it maybe there is a way to not bend the trim.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Has anyone done the pinstadium NEOs on their new game yet? Thinking about ordering them before it arrives.

I am trying to avoid putting them in so as not to affect the whole dark experience but I am having trouble playing it at night seeing the ball. I have them on a couple other pins and love them. They are adjustable so maybe with a real low blue light might just do the trick without taking away the experience. Would like to know also if anyone has them installed.

#1487 2 years ago

Anyone else having issues registering Vent 3 rollovers? Fast shots from upper flipper not getting picked up ,works for slower shots.

2 months later
#2279 2 years ago

Just a reminder to check all your hardware, my mother coil came off at the bracket only found 1 screw glad ace hardware has metric.

1 week later
#2512 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone have a video of that upper playfield magnet in action? Does it freeze the ball to setup for the ball lock shot?
Thanks

I don’t have a video but that is what the magnet does, grabs the ball for a second then releases it.

#2533 2 years ago

Had the same issue but my screws were too small to accommodate a nut,installed new ones with lock tight blue, we will see if this works.

1 week later
#2921 2 years ago

Looks nice but I will stick with my SV, I already powder coated it and bought voodoo glass but would love to see those blades if they throw a little bit more light on the game.

2 months later
#4424 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Have owners noticed the soft flipper buttons on this game,I can breathe on them and they will activate yes you can adjust them but the problem is the switches them selfs,the blades are just thin week and soft,I just did not like the feel of them.
Changed to Bally Williams switches,much better with the flipper feel you you are use to,
Just need longer screws and it’s an even swap,well worth it.
It makes a difference in my enjoyment of the game.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I also agree that the feel on the flippers is way too light. I assume the new switches can be purchased at pinball life. Going to order a pair today.

#4496 2 years ago

My upper flipper has broken, did anyone here get replacements from pinball life? Was wondering if it is a perfect fit, don’t really want to get one from Cato as it will take longer for one.
Thanks

1 month later
#5234 2 years ago

Great job on that translite just beautiful.

1 month later
#5861 2 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

found a local guy to powder coat. Anyone have the color green name they used to powder coat their armor?

Sparkle Green Dormant Metallic gloss.
Made by Tiger Drylac
P/N 49/50024
Also with clear coat

#5866 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Can you post a few pictures of yours with that color?

4F441437-034D-4094-AD27-CC47FFAA3D11 (resized).jpeg4F441437-034D-4094-AD27-CC47FFAA3D11 (resized).jpegC50D4A0E-21D4-46B0-8615-EA92BB6D2F77 (resized).jpegC50D4A0E-21D4-46B0-8615-EA92BB6D2F77 (resized).jpeg
#5871 2 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looks great! How hard is it to get side rails off? Looks like one screw and adhesive? pry off carefully?

I used a putty knife to break the adhesive go slow with it and no damage will occur.

4 weeks later
#6463 2 years ago

I had an interesting problem the other day after I installed new balls. They would not slide down all the way in the trough. This really messed up my ambush multiball. I took out the balls and they weighed in at 80gms. The PB pinballs were 81gms. I guess I will have to add a washer or 2 to effect the angle of the trough in order to get gravity working again. Unless of course I am wrong about this, if anyone else had this happen, please share. Thanks

#6465 2 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

Usually this means the balls (or the trough) are magnetized, but if they're brand new balls I'd be surprised. Might be worth trying another set. You can get around this in the trough with this kind of accessory.
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-plastics/playfield-plastics-single-plastics/trough-anti-magnetic-shim-williams-bally-pinball-machine-upgrade/

I was wondering if they might be magnetized, very strange for new balls. I am going to order that product that you recommended. Thanks for the tip.

1 week later
#6671 2 years ago

Does anyone have the rubber sizes used in this pin? I would like to order some titans, the one near the exposed post next to the xeno has gotten pretty chewed up.Thanks

#6674 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

[quoted image]
Check the posts in the last couple pages that talk about an alternative way to rubber that post to make it hold up longer.

Thanks buddy

2 months later
#8104 1 year ago

I am running ver.2.5 with no issues. Can I update to 2.7 without updating to 2.6 first?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chopper36.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=chopper36 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.