b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7295 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Breaking news - Alien nest found in Australia!!!
Aliens are now spreading out across the country ...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Us guys in the uk that ordered lvs should be getting ours Tuesday to. Excellent timed deliveries from pinball brothers at opposite ends of the world it seems!

Will post pics of mine when arrives, setup etc to join the party

#7320 1 year ago

The wait is over

380F5AB8-9D8A-44C0-9457-BCCFB65BD4BB (resized).jpeg380F5AB8-9D8A-44C0-9457-BCCFB65BD4BB (resized).jpeg
F356083B-0313-47A0-8AD7-224EB9802E54 (resized).jpegF356083B-0313-47A0-8AD7-224EB9802E54 (resized).jpeg

#7361 1 year ago

Question, is the shaker on at power up getting fixed soon? Kind of a bad power on effect!!

Also, it seems lv games ship with a load of cables for target lamps unplugged? Because they are not yet coded in. Strange decision, why not just leave them plugged in ready for awakening in code later. I want to plug them in but now I’m wondering if there’s a reason they aren’t?? Are other lv games like this to??

E8B131BC-D714-4982-B306-035E193EB6E4 (resized).jpegE8B131BC-D714-4982-B306-035E193EB6E4 (resized).jpegDABE488B-D0EB-413D-9F7C-630F047B614E (resized).jpegDABE488B-D0EB-413D-9F7C-630F047B614E (resized).jpeg90C94A2C-67DB-42BA-8423-38ED52CAF5F9 (resized).jpeg90C94A2C-67DB-42BA-8423-38ED52CAF5F9 (resized).jpeg

#7382 1 year ago

Anybody know what the actual electronics receiver part is for the little Opto board in use on these games? I've got a few issues with my game out of the box, can't really play it currently because the right ramp /reverse ramp opto is non working.

I took it apart to have a look and found this.... No receiver opto on the board!!! and doesn't look like it was ever soldered on there

I should say pb support is very good and they are super quick to reply and help and get parts ready to ship out to you, but that doesn't help me play my new game this weekend!!

IMG_2822 (resized).jpgIMG_2822 (resized).jpg

#7400 1 year ago

Any tips making flippers feel stronger , other then settings coils adjustments. Set mine at +40% but not sure if the settings do anything?? Seems the same as +10%

Also should lv owners still change the flipper switches to stern ones? Does this help with strength? Especially orbit shots /tip of flipper shots feel weakest.

It’s also like nothing seems easy to shoot. Can’t put my finger on it, the hyper sleep lock shot is super hard!! Only ever made 1 lock in a game so far. Cool mech though

#7433 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

If you guys cant get up the hypersleep lock then my guess is you should try to lower the game pitch. I told myself I like my game 'fast' and was close to opening a tixket complaining how hard that shot is - but I lowered the pitch and now it is not even that difficult if well timed. I do find that my upper RH flipper needs at least +10% to the coil also. I think the coil settings sometimes dont 'take' right away and if you dont think it worked maybe power cycle and try changing it again? Gotta get the ghosts out of these new machines..

Checked my flippers and they were all pretty tight to the bushing with no play so adjusted with a std gap. Also seemed to take a couple of hard reboots to get the coil strength changes (+40%) to work. Flippers feel pretty good now. Also the flipper switches on my lv are already the double leaf stern ones.

Can make the outer orbits ok now and that’s key i’ve found to feeding to the upper right flipper. Can now lock balls to the hyper sleep ramp ok. The mb mode is great !

Pitch is 6.5 degs

#7442 1 year ago

High score so far (factory settings, other than 12sec ball save):

DA034673-D4AD-4A60-833E-7E5DD379306F (resized).jpegDA034673-D4AD-4A60-833E-7E5DD379306F (resized).jpeg

A few things i think need tweaking software wise are:

1) quicker autolaunch on ball saves/multiball launches
2) movable upper lanes lamps
3) speed up/cancel option on animations for mode start/mystery awards
4) improve catch logic of right flipper magnet, seems abit random
5) upper right life cycle lamp doesnt always light from lane shot

#7526 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

This is by design. The lanes can only be completed 6 or 7 times in a ball before the award is maxed out; having lane change here could make this too easy. (See also: Theatre of Magic)

Make sure "Chestburster Lane Difficulty" is set to Easy. (Hard requires both the proximity sensor and the standup at the end of the lane, which can be, well, hard. Easy requires only the prox sensor.)

Thanks for the reply and info, appreciated . I understand what you are saying re the lanes, but i still miss lane change ha ha. I will look at the settings re the Chestburster Lane Difficulty, useful to know.

#7527 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Just poor photography skills
Keeps saying a device needs to be unmounted. [quoted image][quoted image]

Hey tommy,

This is a standard drive image cloning tool for linux called Clonezilla, nothing specific to pinball os. What i would try is a new SSD if you want you game up and running again quickly. Just plug in a fresh one and give that a go. Unlikely the ram for the motherboard is faulty, as you wouldn't get anything if that was the case.

Possibly the SSD drive has failed or some sectors can't be erased/permissions issues etc which might explain the original fault to. Any SSD of same size or larger should work

#7601 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Great news!
The beast lives!
[quoted image]

Great news, so the idea to just use a new ssd drive sorted it ok?

#7686 1 year ago

I’m all sorted now and fully up and running. New opto set arrived and installed . Right ramp now working fine

Loving the game, really great modes and atmosphere. Sound, graphics, art all top notch

CCF4C2D0-529B-4F84-8056-FCD880D682EF (resized).jpegCCF4C2D0-529B-4F84-8056-FCD880D682EF (resized).jpeg55E2A4BE-8FB2-469B-82F6-059F6C538443 (resized).jpeg55E2A4BE-8FB2-469B-82F6-059F6C538443 (resized).jpeg7F6752B7-4126-46F8-85BD-A89E0B048808 (resized).jpeg7F6752B7-4126-46F8-85BD-A89E0B048808 (resized).jpeg

#7737 1 year ago

Some adjustment/hardware discussion regarding eddy switches...

I am seeing repeated missed shots on certain places during game play. I will try to explain in more detail below.

1) Upper right lane (chest buster lifecycle shot)

IMG_2966 (resized).jpegIMG_2966 (resized).jpeg

The shot works ok if the ball moves on the red line, but on the yellow line it is missed. Also if the shot is very fast on the red line it is missed. Purple circle indicates sensor position on pcb/playfield. (Chestbuster lifecycle is set on easy - 1 switch)

2) upper left inner loop (Super jackpot shot)

IMG_2972 (resized).jpegIMG_2972 (resized).jpeg

A fast shot on the red line misses the shot. A shot on the yellow line does not award the inner loop shot. (Is this correct?) Seems a bit harsh.

I have tried to adjust the board for the upper right lane switch/eddy sensor but there is no adjustment on the pcbs. There are just screw holes with no tolerence. Also to me it seems like the sensor is in the wrong place really, it should be lower on the lane nearer the magnet/flipper end.

I am wondering if they need to make a firmware update to allow better detection on fast shots?? I think i also saw it on a fast drain down the left outlane. Any other owners see these switch problems?

Software Bugs (newly found)
- 2 balls drained together down the left outlane during sentry guns and the ball saver was on. Only 1 ball was returned and the mode was ended.

#7743 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Confused, why would the yellow trigger the shot?

Because you’d expect a lane switch to work in either direction so that the chestburster lifecycle shot when set to easy /1 switch it can be achieved either way.

A shot upwards on the far lhs misses also so the eddy switch is too far over to the right and too high in my view

And v fast shots miss any position so there’s some timing issue for switch reads, needs to be quicker

#7750 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I don't think that's the intention. It's a shot, you need to shoot it. 'easy' is just because often the lane switch/target don't register consistently as a pair

Nah, you can still miss the shot shooting it upwards as i said if the ball is too far to the lhs or the ball is to fast…

You need all the help you can get with that chest buster shot to as upward shots are almost impossible to aim for

#7759 1 year ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Super jackpot shot/issue same on mine. PITA but haven’t figured out a solution (haven’t tried that hard to be honest)
Also been meaning to poll/ask- how do people tee up shots from upper right flipper? Lucky slow orbit into pops and sometimes feeds it, a random bounce, or what I suppose is designed way is to hit chest burster shot- but that thing is hard as hell (do people have luck with far left flipper or bottom left?).

Outer loops do feed to the pops with the up posts whrn loops are not being used in a mode but yes it’s random if it feeds the lane afaict. I’d love to know how people reliably achieve the chest burster life cycle shot

Added 23 months ago:

Also, Good to know the super jackpot loop shot missed isn't just me When you nail it and it doesnt count, its a real bummer !! ha ha

#7761 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Exactly. The easy mode is there to help you make the shot. But the sensor is clearly not positioned to award trickling down from the pops. The whole point of adding the second switch was to let them sense which direction the ball went through

Ok explain this. The sensor is also used to sense the ball rolling down the lane for a right magnet helper grab to assist a hyper sleep lock shot, except it doesn’t always grab it because again if it rolls on the lhs of the lane it isn’t detected. How can that be correct? The sensor needs moving to be in the center of the lane and alittle lower down or they should have used an opto for the lane switch

#7820 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

Definitely some harsh bugs in the code. Have had game freezes on Find Jonesy, Ambush multiball reboots and general aliens reboot of game.

I’ve had a couple of freezes and lock ups to on v2.6 where it rebooted. I guess they will squash these bugs as more updates come out. If there’s a way to send logs I’d be happy to do it to. Not looked into that yet.

#7875 1 year ago

So, my list of tweaks/bugs & notes so far software wise after playing for a few weeks now:

2 lock up crashes - anyway to provide logs ??

Bugs/ Software feature tweaks

- 2 balls drained together in sentry guns down left left outlane when ball save was on. only gave 1 ball back and ended mode
- Ball drained left left outlane on sentry guns lite was lit for save didn’t save and ended mode
- Inner left orbit shot misses shots if very fast shot especially on super jackpot but also on 3rd arrow shot for modes - maybe firmware update needed or software bug?
- Chest burster shot doesn’t always award lifecycle even on easy seems abit random and direction of ball upwards doesn’t always award it .
- Upper right magnet doesn’t always catch ball for hyper sleep lock helper
- Centre magnet catch for alien is hit and miss (already mentioned alot by the other owners and fixes already in works)
- No flipper press to speed up /cancel animations
- No lane change (mentioned that was designed intentionally this way, maybe add adjustment option or expand lane change rules??)
- ‘Not bad for a human animation ‘ on low scores? Thought would be only used on Grand Champ and HS entry scores
- Improve the info shown on the mini display. Seems to just be showing closed airlock doors for quite long periods on the game. (unless i am just not looking at it when i should be!) Was expecting more info on what things are needed to complete features etc and more info during modes etc

Other things/Ideas

- Jurassic Park Nedry ‘ah ah ah’ quote on tilt warning is cool and a nice easter Egg
- Adding a bonus/extra feature/speech quote for left ramp, right ramp and then airlock scoop in a row (to start mode) would be nice. Extra award etc

2 months later
#8937 1 year ago

I just got told on my support ticket that the magnet grab for the upper right flipper and the chest burster lane is only supposed to work 50% of the time?? WTF... How can that be right. I just don't agree. How are you supposed to know when its going to grab the ball and when its not. There is no light or screen alert or anything asfaik.

I still think the board on my game was screwed in the wrong place meaning there is too much of a gap on the lhs and the ball can sneak past the inductor and not register. I posted about this before but am here again as its doing my nut in!! This is bit of a road block for getting save newt currently and also when locking balls for hyper sleep lock.

I'm gonna end up having to take the board off, fill the holes in the underside playfield and reposition the board at this rate, as there is zero adjustment on these boards just screw holes no slots for anything

For anyone interested here is what happens. Yellow arrow is where the ball misses the switch, red arrow is where it works ok. purple circle is the switch position currently where the board was screwed in

10K and i'm having to reposition boards..

chest burster lane switch issues (resized).jpegchest burster lane switch issues (resized).jpeg

#8946 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Why do you think you should be warned when the magnet is going to come on? It simply isn’t coded that way.
Test the proximity switch in test mode.
You would not be able to move the board as the proximity switch on the board penetrates most of the way through the playfield. Which also means the board could not possibly be in the wrong place.
Set your chestburster lane to easy as stated by the man that wrote the code Ferret https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/150#post-6923922

The magnet in the flipper lane is a helper item. that's why its there and was added, ie to help you get a shot up the hyper sleep ramp. It makes zero sense not to have it work each time the ball comes down the lane, or a way to enable the feature and a lamp to signify this.

Its already on easy and i tested the switch in test mode before i ever wrote my first message. There is no way the ball is supposed to be able to move down the lane and miss the switch registering...

And yes there is plenty of opportunity for them to screw the board in the wrong place underneath..

#8948 1 year ago
Quoted from bcd:

The right magnet will trigger immediately when the right lane shot is made (either from the standup target in the back, or the lane inductive switch in easy mode), *except* when a mode or a multiball is running, then it will never activate.

Thanks for the reply. What you mention makes total sense and is logical. I believe i need to move my board slightly to get the switch in a better position where it will not miss the ball in any situation. Its just a shame the boards don't have any adjustment built in. They are just screwed in place which means human error can align them alittle bit off.

#8953 1 year ago

There certainly is some misunderstanding going on here. I wish i hadn't bothered saying anything and just stuck to the support tickets tbh.. I've no idea why someone seems to be thinking i'm gonna get a large drill out ?? Whatever

All i've said is that the pcb board with the induction switch soldered to it, isn't in the correct place, as far as i can tell and there isn't any adjustment on the pcb ie slots instead of screw holes to allow minor repositioning , so to realign the SWITCH to the correct place and stop missed ball events, the screw holes for the pcb would need to be filled first. I thought maybe others may have seen this type of thing with pcbs , or this would be useful for others to know about.

Maybe this will help explain it, but this is my last post to try and explain it... See how the holes for the t-nut are not centered and too far to the right, meaning the switch is then too far to the right and the ball can sneak past on the lhs of the lane and not be registered. Human error when installing it..

inductive switch board positioning - 2 (resized).jpeginductive switch board positioning - 2 (resized).jpeginductive switch board positioning - 1 (resized).jpeginductive switch board positioning - 1 (resized).jpeg

#9020 1 year ago

Ok, so i have now successfully resolved my chest burster lane random detection.

For me it was important to make sure that with the factory default settings of chest burster lane easy, the lane will detect every time it is supposed in either direction of ball travel within the rules framework stated here by ferret

"Make sure "Chestburster Lane Difficulty" is set to Easy. (Hard requires both the proximity sensor and the standup at the end of the lane, which can be, well, hard. Easy requires only the prox sensor.)"

E089085A-1E48-4AAC-852B-AD6FDB4809B7 (resized).jpegE089085A-1E48-4AAC-852B-AD6FDB4809B7 (resized).jpeg

I know some believe that when the ball moves downwards in the lane it should be random as to when the lane detects, or it should not do so, but i believe this makes the game too hard and almost impossible to move through the save newt mode on purpose (ie actively shooting this) as the progress is often halted at this shot. Also it makes game play confusing for the magnet detection rules, as most shot attempts for a hyper sleep lock come from a downward ball travel. I believe that the positioning of the proximity switch was placed in the wrong place and too far to the right. Realigning the pcb board with the proximity sensor on does help, but does not cure the issue completely. (There is a small amount of adjustment (around 5mm) that you can move the board left and right ,up and down, within the confines of the playfield cutouts etc.)

So my solution was to make an extra lane guide to neatly fit and extend the current lane guide near the bottom/lower jet. There is no distruption of the bottom jet action or upwards shots in the lane. The extra guide serves to just move the ball over to the rhs of the lane as it moves downwards and trigger the proximity sensor properly. I have been trying out a few proto pieces (3d printed in white for testing only) and the difference is pretty amazing. The rules in place now make total sense and attempting hyper sleep locks is much more controllable. Also save newt progress is greatly improved.

I will print the final piece in clear and attach it to the existing lane guide vertical side edge with alittle double side tape. The next part of this project will be to make a full guide replacement for both pieces in one, where you can just swap the guide out if you want to.

I am happy to share this 3d model with anyone with a 3d printer who fancies trying it out and seeing if it improves your game. I don't want to start another 'discussion' on lane rules, but if you want to try it out and see for yourself, then drop me a pm.

IMG_3755 (resized).JPGIMG_3755 (resized).JPGIMG_3752 (resized).JPGIMG_3752 (resized).JPGIMG_3750 (resized).JPGIMG_3750 (resized).JPGIMG_3757 (resized).JPGIMG_3757 (resized).JPG

#9022 1 year ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Very cool work and great testing. I can easily understand what you are attempting here and I wouldn't mind trying it out as I can see how it would improve the feed. I still don't have a 3D printer though so I guess I will have to hope someone will make them for others.

I am happy to print and ship them to anyone, but i am in the uk so the shipping is usually around £15 min tracked for small items. I was thinking of mainly offering printed parts once i have a full replacement guide that you can swap over.

#9025 1 year ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Thanks, it's really nice of you to even offer. I would like that but it probably makes more sense to wait for the completed one? Also, different thread but thanks for your work on the GotG code. Is your company called Orange Cloud Software?

Yeah wait for the full one is probably best i would think where shipping is involved. I will also be able to tweak it alittle more to. Not to go off tangent, but yes it was good to help cleland out with that. and yes, that is me. I use the name myPinballs Electronics mostly these days and work on all sorts of pinball and arcade hardware & software projects. Been doing it full time for just over 10 years, but collecting for 30 plus.

#9084 1 year ago

Full replacement guide ready to test. Literally 2 screws to remove to replace. (And remove the pop cap and plastic)

Had a few more games earlier with the prototype extenders. Got Hyper Sleep MB and Sentry Guns together for the first time. Was great And can make it to Save Newt in a more timely manner now to, no more road blocks or frustration getting stuck unable to complete it. Soo much better

Interestingly enough i've never had an issue with the vent shot on the far rhs. Can make it fine with the upper left flipper or a rebound of the upper right flipper bat back side.

IMG_3785 (resized).JPGIMG_3785 (resized).JPG

#9086 1 year ago
Quoted from hollyw00d:

when I boot up my LV the shaker runs at like 100% for a second. I see no way of turning this feature off. Is it meant to do that? Scares the crap out of me.

Quoted from hollyw00d:

So LV#99 reporting in. A few issues
3) Also, all of my target LED plugs are unplugged underneath. On the LV, do these need to be plugged in? (Image Below)

Welcome fellow lv owner . These are the 2 main things i really want sorting out for the next update. They mentioned they would be sorted in the last update but no cigar. The RGB standup lamps will really add to the atmosphere and modes i think so looking forward to that one. Theres alot you can do with the system.

I was told by pinball brothers not to plug the lamp connectors in yet and to leave them unplugged . Seems strange as i thought it wouldn't harm since i guess they are still uncoded, but i did as i was told and let them along (for now)

The fact the firmware board powers on with the shaker output enabled is really annoying. And i wish they would sort that asap. Doesnt feel good when you switch it on.

I also hope they improve the shaker integration and also the beacon lamp use.

3 weeks later
#9729 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Are you selling tbis mod?

Yes, pm me if you want one/more details . I can ship them worldwide no worries

#9735 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Any pics of this installed? Still trying to understand what it does. It helps the vent shot loop too (off that upper right)?

Yes it also helps with all shots from the upper right flipper i have found. I'll get some more pics of it installed, but you can read about why i created it here to:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/181#post-7063319
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/182#post-7067172

#9738 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok it seems to guide the ball over the sensor for CB shot. Just curious how that would help for the vent shot ? My CB always registers as is. Not to say this isn’t helpful I’m sure it is but how does it help specifically for vent shot top left?

It makes the magnet operate more reliably for stopping the ball as the sensor isn’t missed any more, therefore making shots from the upper flipper easier to aim. Like the hyper sleep ramp, inner loop, scoop etc

#9760 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Yes it also helps with all shots from the upper right flipper i have found. I'll get some more pics of it installed, but you can read about why i created it here to:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/181#post-7063319
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/182#post-7067172

For those interested, some more pics of the full guide replacement installed.

I added a link on my site to order one, if you want to try it out. https://mypinballs.com, at the bottom of the page.

IMG_4039 (resized).JPGIMG_4039 (resized).JPGIMG_4041 (resized).JPGIMG_4041 (resized).JPGIMG_4042 (resized).JPGIMG_4042 (resized).JPGIMG_4043 (resized).JPGIMG_4043 (resized).JPG

#9769 1 year ago
Quoted from Waxx:

applejuice It plays fantastic and the way you would expect it to be designed. Only problem I have is the point seems a little far up and a slow ball can stick on it (kind of like the same pop location in Star Trek). Great work and PB should seriously think about changing their design as it just feels, "correct".[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Glad that it is improving your enjoyment of the game. I am happy to refine as i get more feedback.

#9770 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

My only concern is you are sort of nerfing the pop bumper. Less kinetic energy in this area now. I have also destroyed eggs by going for the chest buster target, wonder if this modified design will stop that.

As mentioned by Waxx the pops all work fine. there's certainly no 'nerfing' as the guide was designed to make sure they all work the same as before

#9790 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Does it not take this area of the bumper skirt out of action?[quoted image]

Quoted from Zablon:

Strange is when people point out there is no way this doesn't change something about the gameplay and you get offended. It does, you can see it by your comparison. You added a whole other section that blocks the access to that bottom bumper. I get to the bumpers quite often this way. The path is much narrower and forced to the top side. This in essence will cause the ball to bounce off your mod and come down the chestburster lane more often than going up into the pops.
If this makes the game more enjoyable for you, cool. Just don't say it doesn't change the game flow. [quoted image]

I think you are both missing the point somewhat... If you can reliably shoot the chestburster lane upwards from the lower flippers, or upper left then you won't need this mod i would think as the sensor would be activated anyway, but for most people (myself included) most access to the chestburster lane, pops and the shots from the upper right flipper (hyper sleep lock, vent loop, airlock) come from the ball entering from a loop shot then upper lanes and pops downwards, or a rebound in to the pops from the lhs and then down the lane. Please educate me if you can shoot the chestburster lane upwards 'all day long', i would love to see a video of that...

Therefore what i was suggesting earlier was the pop bumper activity (from my experience) has not been effected at all.

I guess the fundamental thing here is that we don't agree on the chestburster lane issues, which is fine. We can have differing opinions and still enjoy the same games. But i do find it odd that you comment on things you haven't actually tried out, or experienced . It would be better just to have a more open mind in my view.

1 week later
#9946 1 year ago

Sharing some info on the new playfield flasher mod that i am making. Will be available to other interested owners. (Will start a new thread for the progress on this, like my other projects, but wanted to share here to for info).

Made a prototype setup of it today using the parts i had available whilst i wait for the first prototype pcbs to arrive. The flasher board is a modified and expanded design based the stern super bright double flasher board replacements that i have been making for a number of years. they use camera leds in them which give a really great flash.

The premise is 2 regular dome flashers (or maybe smaller curved top ones) mounted on a pcb that mounts on top of the airlock scoop display unit. They run in tandom from the lv output for the beacons flashers, so you can get some flasher action tied to the game modes etc on the playfield. This is step 1. I may expand and see if i can get some other hooks in there to, such as when the ball ejects from the airlock etc, but concentrating for now on getting this solid, robust and factory looking. (I will also see what i can do for standard owners if the beacon enable line is not used there.)

Made a loom that splices into the existing wiring so no permanent changes. Runs off the enable for the beacons and has its own control of flash speed. The enable line is a solid enable. Ie they don't currently pulses the beacons, just turn them on and off. The flashers then flash for the length of time the beacons are on. Just played a few games and its really cool in sentry guns etc. Hopefully they will add more beacon code which this mod can take advantage of.

A quick pic of my prototype testing. Please note this is just quick and dirty testing, not anything final yet. It was just a protoyping day!

IMG_4182 (resized).JPGIMG_4182 (resized).JPG

And a video of them in action during attract mode

https://www.instagram.com/p/CidEJcNoYLc/

and a manual test in the service mode

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cicsbfro7_P/

A pic of the first prototype pcb

IMG_4140 (resized).JPGIMG_4140 (resized).JPG

Hope you all like the idea and progress

3 months later
#11576 1 year ago

Following up on my interactive flasher mod for the airlock area that i have been working on.

See original post here from a few months back: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/199#post-7135439

I got my proto boards in and am assembling one today to see how it looks. Board fits to top of airlock assembly. Will be hopefully Workington this mod more in the new year if i get some time. Been busy this last few months on other projects.

My plan is still to get the flashers to interact with different events in the game like eject from airlock etc aswell as with the lv beacons (which is what they trigger from currently. If standards can use this trigger to then cool). Also they could be driven independently/alternating to for some other effects. Currently though they both drive together like the topper beacons.

IMG_5098 (resized).JPGIMG_5098 (resized).JPG

IMG_5099 (resized).JPGIMG_5099 (resized).JPG

IMG_5100 (resized).JPGIMG_5100 (resized).JPG

#11579 1 year ago

Assembled board for testing

IMG_5102 (resized).JPGIMG_5102 (resized).JPG

If there are other features/lamps/events that you think it would be cool for this to interact with let me know and i will see what's possible in 2023.

#11751 1 year ago

After upgrading to firmware 0.71 and software 3.1 everything was good for 1 game. Left in attract for awhile and then half the playfield boards (lower half) stopped working…

No amount of downgrading or reseating connectors made any difference until I unplugged all cables from the black box under the playfield. (Support said a factory reset could also fix this but I haven’t tried that)

Game plays much better now inc flippers and xeno but I really don’t need the stress of half the playfield boards stopping working after an upgrade!! Jesus Christ!

And the shaker still comes on at boot stupid!!!

#11795 1 year ago

Shaker still comes on at boot on 0.71/3.1 aswell. Wish they’d sort this out once and for all . It’s well annoying..

#11800 1 year ago
Quoted from ExportZ:

For LV owners:
Combined with Firmware 0.71, Improved switching shaker off at startup.
3.1 does not help with the shaker?

On mine, still comes on but not as long. Not sure whether that’s the same on other lv games or not. Seems some people get different results after updates as I haven’t had any xeno issues so far

#11840 1 year ago

Anyone with an LV game able to confirm if their 5th target led lights up now with the v3.1 software and also if you have a cable plugged in to this cross board plug. Mine is still dark, the other 4 work ok.

IMG_5158 Large (resized).jpegIMG_5158 Large (resized).jpeg

My actual 5th target cable from the target itself is plugged in

IMG_5159 Large (resized).jpegIMG_5159 Large (resized).jpeg

#11877 1 year ago
Quoted from henning:

Hi, you need 2mm JST PH 4 and 5 pin connectors. With pin 1 of the 5 pin connector left blank. I took you some pictures.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for posting this. God knows why they didn’t include these with the lv games , but it seems they are shipping them out to distributors separately. Bizarre! Im gonna make one to fill the gap whilst I wait.

#11919 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Can this cable be purchased somewhere? I'd love to get target 5 working on my SV. I was able to plug in the unconnected cables on 1-4 and those all light up and change color now.

I ordered some 4 pin and 5 pin to bare end ones and gonna splice them together whilst I wait for my official one to be sent

See here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0811GVDBH/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_dp_1

It’s total madness that they forgot to include these in the first place!! My lv was not a cheap purchase!!

#11924 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

So, for USA Amazon would this work? And I could just take one 5 pin and one 4 pin and splice them together and shrink tube the splice?
amazon.com link »

Yes I think so, I haven’t got mine yet but I can report back when I’ve tried it no worries

1 week later
#12173 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I ordered some 4 pin and 5 pin to bare end ones and gonna splice them together whilst I wait for my official one to be sent
See here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0811GVDBH/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_dp_1
It’s total madness that they forgot to include these in the first place!! My lv was not a cheap purchase!!

To follow up on this, my amazon parts worked a treat and now i have a working 5th target rgb lamp. One thing i noticed straight away though is the 5th lamp doesn't flash with the others at the skill shot ball start. Man, i wish they would check stuff. Works ok when you hit it, ie it lights up red.

IMG_5229 (resized).JPGIMG_5229 (resized).JPGIMG_5230 (resized).JPGIMG_5230 (resized).JPGIMG_5235 (resized).JPGIMG_5235 (resized).JPGIMG_5237 (resized).JPGIMG_5237 (resized).JPGIMG_5238 (resized).JPGIMG_5238 (resized).JPG

#12220 1 year ago
Quoted from bcd:

It's not supposed to light for skill shot. That was intentional not to light far right-side shots, since those aren't easily made off the plunge.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it just looked bit strange when the other 4 are lit and it could still be achievable from ball pass and left flipper shot, but as you say much harder . I thought maybe the skill shot for weapon could be light a weapon corresponding to the target hit, ie 5th target would be ball save etc as the further to the rhs the harder the shot and that corresponds to the weapons order to. instead of Any Weapon Target: Awards the next Weapon.

Side note, Enoying the weapons game rules much more since the latest update and the target leds. Happy New year to all involved to

#12260 1 year ago
Quoted from bcd:

It's not supposed to light for skill shot. That was intentional not to light far right-side shots, since those aren't easily made off the plunge.

Noticed a small bug with the 5th target lamps. If they are hit and lit during a ball, they do not clear at the start of the next ball and stay lit until the skill shot mode is finished/cleared ie when all weapon lamps are cleared. If the target is not used in the skill shot then it should be turned off when the others start to flash at ball start.

#12273 1 year ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Thank you all.
The chest burster shot is almost impossible to hit though.
Is it intended to be this difficult, or is my flipper possibly not aligned right?

You may want to see my posts here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/196#post-7118726

I made an alternative lane guide to help with chest burster lane detection aswell as helping with the hyper sleep lock shot. I have had it on my game for awhile now and it makes a massive difference. Quite a few people a using them now to and have given me good feedback.

5 months later
#14255 10 months ago

Some pics of my new all in one flasher board installed. Works from the LV beacon triggers, but could run from any ground signal. Also planning on making it more interactive from target hits and spinner hits with individual left and right flash action. I am moving house soon so alien is now packed away but i will get back to this once i'm settled in my new location.

IMG_7757 (resized).JPGIMG_7757 (resized).JPG

quick video like before

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtzUZUkoCkG/

#14264 10 months ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

So for us with SV's, can we still tap the LV beacon trigger? Or are we going to have to run this based on something else?

I don’t think SV’s have the lv beacon trigger enabled so you can choose some other switch to ground instead. The target activations will work the same though

#14268 10 months ago
Quoted from Mageek:

The beacon trigger is there on SV as long as you have the .71 FW

Even better then, makes the wiring loom std fur all

#14278 10 months ago
Quoted from pookycade:

It’s sad for me to post this but we are throwing in the towel on our Alien for location play. The sad part is I like the game, customers like the game. It’s just not built well enough to hold up. I have heard the same from other operators. This game should be designated home use only. PB really needs to step up their game if they want to play with the big boys. I’m not buying another game from them unfortunately due to these quality issues. This has had more repairs than some of my WPC and System 11s and they are 30 years old.
Here is the current list: all with less than a year of play.
1) Three flipper coils have suffered broken coil winding wires. The two lower flipper coils broke near the lug and we were able to solder in a jumper to make them work again. The upper left flipper is currently dead because the break happened near where the paper wrapper starts. Manual designates it as a C70 coil and we can't find them for sale. Need to open a support ticket.
2) The flipper plates (sheet metal that everything is mounted to) have a weakness. The male screws that hold the coil stops thread into female receivers that are riveted to the sheet metal plate. On the upper two flippers those rivets are failing causing loose coil stops. Need to open a support ticket and get new parts.
3) The wireform that catches the ball upon shooter lane plunge/launch has multiple broken welds that were causing a wire to droop down into the path of the ball. I manipulated it to the outside of the hoop and secured with zip-tie for now. Part needs to be removed, welded, and reinstalled.
4) Three different lamp board connectors have come off (backside of PF).
5) Two nuts, and some washers found in the bottom of the cabinet. Couldn't find where they came from. Now sitting on coin box.
6) A rubber is close to breaking near the xenomorph head.
We are going to repair, reassemble, and sell. Done. Finito. Sorry PB, I like your design, I don’t like your actual product. Do better.

Honest report and very polite. I'm not sure i would have been that forgiving. Things like this really do need sorting out. Why on earth PB didn't do some decent location testing first to check all their mechanics is really stupid. And does a slim downed cheap flipper plate really save you that much money, come on... Bullet proof flippers are the no1 thing guys to get right for location, everyone knows this..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=applejuice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.